Gasthof zur Schweiz

Quergasse 15, Jena, Thuringia, 07743, Germany
Booking.com Priceline.com

Good For No Data

More about Jena

the main enterthe main enter

Markt, JenaMarkt, Jena

Jena by LeipzigJena by Leipzig

Travel Tips for Jena

Hiking in the woods

by Leipzig

Visiting Jena it is a must to hike in the woods. It is situated in the Saale-Valley surrounded by the 400 m (1,300 ft) high Kalk-mounts. Here you find numerous hidden sights and have a wonderful view on the town of Jena.

More pix and info on my travelogue.

Johann Friedrich I. Statue

by Leipzig

At the market square you find the statue of the founder of university, Johann Friedrich I., also called 'Hanfried'. This statue was erected by Johann Friedrich Drake to the 300-year-celebration of university in 1858.

Bonio in Jena

by bonio

"Two night visit."

Last stop on our trip around the area and, I think our favourite.
Found a good pension to stop at, visited the Carl Zeiss museum, enjoyed exploring the town, a trip up the tower and even found time for a football match.
Of course, some good eating places to recommend as well, please take a look at what we did.

Jena

by antoine2000

Why did I end up in Jena?

The answer to that is I don't know. We were driving through Germany and it said that it had a big university and that usually means it has a bit of nightlife. What was planned as night stop over turned into 2 days of hilarity.

A few days after we visited Jena, we met a girl in a Cologne bar who asked us where we'd visited - we told her Jena amongst others - she just laughed. Why did you go there? We looked at each other and said, 'Cause it was there'.. Actually it was on the way to Colditz... and for those people wondering what that is.. well that's another story and something if you type into Google will bring up many links.

When approaching Jena from the Autobahn it looks awful - we nearly didn't stop - the desire to drive on was there but our instincts of discovering something new made us make than turn off into the town centre.

Jena is split into 2 parts. City centre - beautifully restored after WWII and many original buildings surviving and the Suburbs - think high rise concrete and thank former East German planning departments.

Jena is quaint, and good for a day trip or over night stay - we stayed 2 nights cause we kept on having fun - thanks to the Hotel staff of the Ibis (£35 a night plus parking). The Ibis is centrally located and has many bars and restaurants near by. At this point I'd like to mention the Rosenkeller - a subterranean bar\club intended for students - they let two 30+ balding guys in so it wasn't all bad.

What else.. Colditz, about an hours drive from Jena - definitely worth the visit - still intact (almost) from the time it was used in WWII as a prisoner of war camp. The tour guide costs a quid or something equally cheap and man with a loud bellowing voice will escort you on a 2 hour tour which is fantastic. I would like to point out that his daughter also arrived near the end of the tour and just like to say that it was a distraction.. :-)

Ok, so that's Jena. Go there!

Comments