Gunter Raphael-Str 1, Meiningen, Thuringia, 98617, Germany

More about Meiningen

Knight's HallKnight's Hall

St. Marien Meiningen frontSt. Marien Meiningen front

MeiningenMeiningen

The "Adler" replica for overhaul in MeiningenThe "Adler" replica for overhaul in Meiningen

Travel Tips for Meiningen

off the beaten path in Germany

by PeteNL

Visit the workshop - see my page on that!

And just enjoy town, as well as the scenery of the surrounding countryside. Great for (forest) walks, and the odd tour by bike or car. It's also quite central, with (more) famous places like Eisenach, Erfurt, Fulda or Bamberg within an hour or so.

However, and maybe people who live there don't agree, some of it's character from just after the wall came down has disappeared ...

The picture to the left (not from the workshop this time!) gives you an idea what to expect in town. visiting the workshop for the first time, in 1993 (I think) with a friend... we arrived in the morning, asking to have a tour around the complex. The gatekeeper told us there was a "busload of tourists", but if we liked we could return after 2 - when we returned we had the place for ourselves, able to roam around and see everything! And my second (chance) visit in 2000 coincided with a couple who were showed around because they were on business - he had an engine to be restored in his "yard"! I took the tour then during working hours, leaving me with the pictures on my main page ...

Comments