Oberhof has been just a farmhouse on a crossroads in the Thueringer Wald. Here an important trading route crossed the Thueringer Wald. The traders used the opportunity to stay overnight,a s in this times it was not possible to cross the forest in just one day. In 15th century Oberhof was first mentioned as a hospiz for sick people and as a guesthouse. Around the guesthouse a small village developed with huts for the forestworkers.
The first church was build in 1768. The villages was very small and poor until the middle of the 19th century. In 1832 the Duke Ernst of Gotha built a smal hunting castle. When the railroad from Hamburg to Munich was completed in the 19th century Oberhof became a station along the railroad and therefore more attractive for travellers and tourists. The healthy air and the wide forests brought the rich people, who lived in the polluted cities, to stay a few weeks in Oberhof. Many pensions and small hotels werde build. With the beginning of the 20th century Oberhof became very attractive for wintersports.
In 20th century there had been good and bad times for Oberhof. Now it is a blooming small town attractive for winter sports and hiking.