Hotel Am Bahnhof

Altes RathausAltes Rathaus

Schlossplatz, SaarbruckenSchlossplatz, Saarbrucken

First time visitor

by PaulFB

I am 52 years old and traveling to Germany for the first time. My grandparents were both born & raised in Germany and my grandfather was from Saarbrucken. I want to spend some time in the town and am looking for suggestions as to how to best get a sense of the town's history as well as how the locals live now. Also, I am assuming that most public records were destroyed during the war, but if anyone has information about how to trace my family tree while I am there that would be appreciated as well. thank you.

RE: First time visitor

by christine.j

For some information about the history check out this museum:http://www.historisches-museum.org/histor/museum.asp
Tracing your family tree : Do you know which church your grandfather belonged to? Baptism records are usually a good source for finding our more about one's
family.

RE: First time visitor

by abalada

Saarbrücken homepage in English

Not directly in Saarbrücken, but not far and typical for the industrial heritage for this region:
Völklinger ironworks
http://www.voelklinger-huette.org (the first industrial monument on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list)

Travel Tips for Saarbrücken

FCS

by Kutzhofer

Watch a match of the local football team at 'Ludwigsparkstadion'! Though the 1.FC Saarbrücken is relegated into the 'Regionalliga' (3rd division) and the stadium has seen better days, there is still a huge and lively fan scene...

Rathaus St. Johann

by antistar

The architect Georg J. von Hauberisser is responsible for the fantastic town halls in Munich and Wiesbaden, which you can see pictures of in my pages of them. Saarbrucken's Rathaus is not quite as magnificent, but is still one of the more striking buildings of its kind in Germany. Like the other buildings, it's built in that neo-Gothic style with a cartoon house of horror bell tower. It's easy to imagine it being encircled by bats on dark stormy nights.

Bonio goes to Saarbrücken

by bonio

Chose Saarbrücken as our base when we visited Völklingen iron works, see tips for Völklingen!
As ever on our travels, as photos will show, the weather was awful but I guess we're getting used to it now.
Anyway, enjoyed our stay in town, managed a trip to the zoo and a walk around the old town. Several good restaurants to report on and a comfortable, excellent value hotel.
Please take a look at what we did.

"Alte Völklinger Hutte"

I was an Iron and steel worker myself many years ago, so the short trip from Saarbrücken was a memorable day out for me.
More on my Völklingen pages.

Comments