Alikanas, Alykanas, Greece

More about Alykanas Village Hotel

Incredible!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member vicki1981

Me, my sister and 4yr old daughter have just returned from the most AMAZING holiday at the Alykanas village! It is a family haven which keeps you entertained morning , noon and night! Nothing disapoints apart from the realisation that you all to soon have to go back home! The entertainment team and kidzone reps are the best I have ever ever come across and made us always feel special and safe! The accommodation is the largest and cleanest I have ever come across for self catering and the maids were around to clean your room 6 days a week! The pools were FABULOUS (4 IN TOTAL) and we had so much fun doing the daytime activities! I have already booked my holiday at the alykanas village for another week this year and 2 weeks next year! As a travel agent I like to go to new places but after coming here I never want to go anywhere else again!!

Excellent Holiday

by TripAdvisor Member eviejake

We have just returned from a 2 week holiday at the Alykanas Village hotel (Thomson Superfamily Holiday)!! I went with my mum and 2 children aged 8 and 3.

The accommodation was of a good standard, we had a studio but it was big enough for the 4 of us. We needed to have A/C which was 5 euro a day but worth it as the temparature was very hot. My 3 year old absolutely loved the kids zone and was very fond of the kid zone reps (bekka boo, Scousy b, lollipop linda, party pam ). They were so good with her. Please note that you do need to book your childs place for kids club the day before as it is extremely busy. If you do not get a place for that day then the reps put you on the list for the following day.

The pool area was kept clean and they have a toddler's / child's pool which is brilliant.

Evening entertainment supplied by the Reps (special thanks to Juicy Lucy, Roly Poly Smoly and Super Duper Dawan - who were fab!!). Also there is a duo called Depenz who are also very good.

The resort is quiet and I would mainly recommend it for families and couples. A good selection of Taverna's available. Many have a childrens playground which is also a bonus!!

All in all a very good holiday and I would highly recommend it!!

Good hotel for the price

by TripAdvisor Member Chloe23

Me and my boyfriend booked a late deal to the Alykanas Village and were not disappointed at all. As we booked it about a week before departure, we only paid £250 each for a week self catering. This proved to be excellent value.

I was slightly worried that it would be over-run with children (it is a Family club Extra after all) but as it was the week before half term we thought it wouldn't be too bad, and it wasnt.

We had a lovely week away in the sun and thoroughly enjoyed the holiday. We didnt have any complaints about the hotel at all and thought it had everything we needed for a weeks stay. Alykanas has a small selection of bars and restaurants/tavernas, but if you go further into Alykes, it has more choice and some good bars and restaurants. The Olympic was our favourite, we ate there twice and loved it. Great value for the standard of restaurant.

Do not be put off by some of the bad reviews, this is a great hotel and I imagine it would be fantastic for families as the facilities are great here.

Best holiday ever!

by TripAdvisor Member Helen848

Went to the alykanas village just me an dmy daughter and had a fab time. All apartments have full or partial sea view, they are kitted out with everything you need and more! the hotel is lively with lots going on and you can be involved as much or as little as you like, there is a path to the beach that literally takes less than a minute and its very quiet and safe for children, a little piece of heaven. Alykanas centre is small but some lovely restaurants, lots had recommended the Neraida to me on the beach and i must say its the best food and service ive ever had, i was not disappointed! Thankfully now the new airport in Zakynthos is open and is a world away from the old one. all in all an excellent holiday, thomson reps and entertainers brilliant, i dont normally go to same place twice but have already booked tp go back next year and i only got back 3 days ago!

Great family resort in Zakynthos (Zante)

by TripAdvisor Member Colin-London

Alykanas Village, Alykanas, Zakynthos [-]

This was a return visit to Zakynthos after ten years and the island is still as beautiful. The accommodation (not to be confused with the Alykanas Beach Hotel which lies next door) has been upgraded into a Thomson Super Family complex and is used solely by Thomson (Tui) for 2007 and also the 2008 season when an additional sports pitch and soccer school is planned.

If you are looking for a well-equipped self-catering complex and have children under 14 yrs, this is the place to visit and we certainly enjoyed our holiday here with our children. Teenagers may find it not quite their scene. Also just a 30 minute transfer from the airport which is great after a 3 hour flight with kids.

Accommodation: There are two types of self-catering rooms; double-bedded rooms that sleep three and family rooms with four single beds (3 ft dividing wall between children beds and adult beds). The kitchenettes are equipped with two electric rings, fridge, microwave, toaster, kettle but only downside is that the area is very compact and not a lot of room for meal preparation. Security is good with substantial double locking steel doors. Air conditioning available as extra (50 euros a week) but weather was getting hot in June so probably essential July/August.

Leisure facilities: Three pools (one of them directly at the beach side) provide much of the entertainment. One is used as a watersports pool with volleyball net (only 0.8m deep), one shelving from 1.6m to 0.8m plus a very shallow toddlers pool segregated by metal railings. Plenty of sunbeds although sad to say, they were being reserved by towels from early in the morning despite management policy forbidding this practice.

Entertainment: Provided by Thomson’s own reps (Rowly Poly Schmoly, Super Duper Dawn and Juicy Lucy) who kept the family busy throughout the day with various activities which you can win and be presented with certificates and prizes at the evening shows. These shows commenced with the kids disco (games and entertainment from 8.30pm) followed by prize presentations then nightly reps shows (some were OK but don’t get too excited). A club duo also provided evening pop music/entertainment. The Greek night provided by the hotel is a good value buffet BBQ with Greek dancers, although no free wine.

Kids clubs: Very well run, again by qualified Thomson reps with strict child ratio in air-conditioned rooms. Three different child age groups plus the option of an additional two-hour ‘drop-in’ session at lunchtimes. Our children were very happy to attend, especially with the chance to win certificates and prizes. Thomson The Dog storytime sessions for very young ones. Many thanks to Bekka Boo, Lollipop Linda, Scousey B, Party Pam and Loopy Lee (from Lauren and William, June 2007).

Beach: Lovely sandy blue flag beach which is very shallow for quite a distance which made the sea water a beautiful warm bath temperature ….. bliss! Some watersports available as were sunbeds and parasols for the usual fee.

Other facilities: Mini market on site which wasn’t as expensive as some reports I have read. Comparable with most other mini markets nearby but a few steps away. Snack bar open 8-6pm with reasonably priced meals. Night-time bar a little pricey, bottled beer or glass of wine at 3 Euros and soft drinks at 2.50 Euros.

Staff: Hotel staff very friendly, rooms well maintained, pools clean, reception and grounds very clean.

Value: We paid £1300 for a family of four for two weeks in June which I considered good value. Not sure if the high summer charges would be fully justified as I would rate this accommodation as a 3+ star, not a 4 star as per the brochure.

Outside the complex: Alykanas is a small, peaceful and traditional resort with the slightly bigger resort of Alykes just a 15 min stroll along the beach. Alykanas has one main road with about 20 restaurants and 20 bars/snack bars to choose from. An ATM in the centre plus various bureau de change giving no commission exchanges for Sterling travellers cheques (don’t take Euro travellers cheques as 2% commission charged). The resort has 80% British holidaymakers. Visit it soon before it turns into another Laganas or Argassi. No screaming mopeds although you will be hassled by the restaurateurs. There are stunning sunsets with views across to neighbouring Kefalonia. Take one of the boat trips to the glorious remote beaches, caves and turtle nesting islands and even see turtles in the water for yourself …… fabulous! The island now has it’s own waterpark near Tsilivi which cost 19 Euros entry (not visited by us).

Favourite restaurants: The Lemon Tree (aka Psaropoyla, in the peaceful old village some 20 min walk or take the horse and cart from the main street at a further cost of 5 Euros each way but worth it for the experience and location plus children play area let the adults get on with their nice meal), Romanza restaurant with views towards the sea and excellent service, Poseidon (in centre of the main street although the owner Dennis the Menace can be quite smarmy but good food and free ice-cream for kids) and Neraida (a short walk along the beach to the right) for views over the sea and live Greek music.

Living expenses / rate £ = 1.40 Euros: Budget around 50-60 Euros per night for family restaurant meal; 7 litres of water 1.95 Euros; bottle of wine 2-4 Euros from shop; bread and rolls cheap; cereals 3-4 Euros packet; alcoholic drinks from bar 2-3 Euros; Ice-creams from shop 1-2 Euros; litre of milk 1.40 Euros.

We enjoyed the holiday immensely………. …… yassou!

Wish I go go Back

by TripAdvisor Member Starfleet

Well where shall I start?

I was concerned about the security issues that some people have already mentioned, so I emailed the hotel direct requesting at least first floor studio and located in a quieter part of the complex. I was very pleasantly surprised that I not only got what I requested but also a superb sea view. This really got my holiday off to a good start.

It is sadly true that the do leave your suitcases at the bottom of the stairs even though they say they’ll bring them to you but was prepared for this. Rooms were very clean, the 4 of us all had decent beds, and the studio is double the size of a standard double room incorporating a kitchen area with sink, microwave, fridge and a 2 ring cooker and a very small dining table. You also get toaster/kettle and lots of cutlery. You will need to buy washing up liquid and scourers. The only downside is that there is no where to relax in the room. The balcony we had, had a small table with only two chairs, but as I have said before we had a fantastic view of Kefalonia. If booking try room numbers 111- 115 or 151-155 or similar second floor.

People have mentioned Service being an issue, I did not suffer from these Gloria and her staffs were all very helpful. It amazing, by learning the Greek words for please, thank you and hello, the friendly response you received by all the Greeks in the resort.
I had no issues with the snack bar, food arrived very quickly I think the longest I had to wait was 15mins for breakfast. Nick the barman at the main bar was great. Pools very good, very child friendly.

Entertainment throughout the day lots for the kids and adults to do throughout the day. For the kids entertainment is split in 3 age groups. The entertainers are fantastic not pushy at all. Rolie Polie Smolie, Juicy Lucy, Super doper dawn, Man Mel, Loolipop Sue deserve a special mention. Sorry If I have forgotten all the other great entertainers.

Thomson reps Nanette, Alexis Alan were absolutely superb. On our penultimate day our 5 year old fell out of the bath and hit his head his own fault I must add. Huge gash just above his eye, took him to reception where Gloria called us a taxi to take us to the local Doctor, she helped to clean my son’s wound and really helped to calm him down, Alan and Alexis were also on had to give advice. The local FREE doctor was fantastic, stitched my son up ended up with 8 stitches.

In resort great food for all, try the Lemon Tree and Paradaisko for best meals. Curry in Alykes wasn’t too bad. There are 2 Chines/Indian restaurants one in Alykanas and the other in Alykes both owned by 1 family. Saki on reception is the son of the owner, speak to him and he will ring the restaurant up for you and if you ask him nicely will arrange for you to be dropped back free we also got 10% off the meal. Watch out for Dennis the Menace from the Poseidon Restaurant. Going by Horse & Cart is great fun

All in all a fantastic holiday was had by us, really looking forward to going back. Unfortunately next year will be going to see my brother in Texas. I would recommend this quiet resort to all families and older travellers. If anyone wants any information please feel free to email me.

Great Family Holiday

by TripAdvisor Member Myszka1uk

Welll the family and I have been on a few Thomson Superfamily holidays before but this was by far the best for us. The rooms are average with nothing to write home about but were ok for 2 adults and 2 children, 5 and 6 years old for 2 weeks. Don't take beach towels with you. Thomson suppy these at 1 towel per person for a 5 euro deposit which is refundable when you take them back at the end of the hols. The towels can also be changed as many times as you like during your stay. Another fantastic touch was the swimming lessons by the trained instructors. Rosie (6) could swim a bit but vastly improved. Russell my son (5) could not swim before he went. After 4 days of lessons he swam 4 strokes. After 5 days he did 3 widths of the pool. By the end of the holidays he was swimming and going underwater with no problems of fear at all. Chris, Hannah and Adam the instructors were fantastic. Those guys made my holiday for me, 10/10. Entertainment for the kids was great in the Kidzone. We used the drop in at 1.00 and the girls there were very friendly and the kids loved them. The kids didn't moan once at the clubs which was unusual for them. Adult entertainers Roly, Lucy and Dawn were great. Always had time to chat to you. Dawn was such a laugh. That girl is going places with her singing. A word of advice... Get the safe in the room.. My watch went missing and had to file a police report for the insurance which was a right ball ache. After taxi fares 28 Euro's and a Greek - English translator 50 Euro's and a morning wasted for paperwork I was spitting nails. I have not been the only person to lose something out of the room so anything of value - LOCK IT AWAY. I did have a safe but left it on the bedside cabinet after a night out and forgot to lock it away in the safe the next morning. Came back to the room in the afternoon and it was gone. Anyway, it was only a watch and with insurance can be replaced so I refused to let it get to me. Restaurants in town were great. Watch out for Dennis at the Posiedon. "Hello my lovely people how are you"... Smarmy git. He sounded like the character out of Madagascar. The Lemon tree was a lovely horse and trap ride for 5 euro's with a free taxi back to the hotel. Dionosis was ok. Greedy Greek was lovely too. The restauranteurs really do hassle you although not all. It did get a bit of a pain after a while. Hotel pools were relativly clean but got dirtier after a week or so with all the suncream in the water. Rooms could have done with a bit of a better clean. It seems as though the maids came in a make the beds and shot out again. Mosquito's are a problem here as well. Hint for you. Get a plug in mosquito repellant and leave on all the holiday. Also when you are on your way out of an evening spray the room with a powerful Mosquito spray. (Red Tin in the Mini Market) when you come home after a night, No more mozzies. Also eat loads of Garlic as they hate that as well. The beach is not bad. Shingle in places but nothing to worry about. The scenery is awesome. Aboslutely fantastic. I would recommend for families with young children. I for one will definately go back.

Fantastic Hotel, Great entertainment.

by TripAdvisor Member HertfordshireAdvisor

Having had a fantastic holiday at this Thompson Superfamily hotel in June with our 4 year old, we returned in September also taking my mum this time.
We were not disappointed. Hotel was just as fantastic as the 1st time. Great spacious rooms with good views of the pools.
The hotel has 3 great size pools, and they are maintained to a high standard. Good snack bar too, so you don't even have to go far to eat.
Wonderful enterainment throughout the day and nightly. The childrens reps were brilliant, and my son has a great time with them for 2 hours a day. The entertaiment team Super Duper Dawn, Juicy Lucy and Rollly Polly Schmolley have commitment, enthusatiam and so much energy it is unbelievable. They are a credit to Thomspons and I hope the company appreciate them.
We had an amazing holiday and would have happily stayed for 2 more weeks if I didn't have to go back to work!!

great location

by TripAdvisor Member sez2899

brill location for all the family, tavernas located very near supermarket 100 yards one in the complex is brill water is same price so need to walk, greedy greek brill for the kids with its bouncy castle, and the food was brill but do try all the tavernas the food standard through out was very good and service was second to none not bad as it was the end of the season, wouldnt of liked to be there in high season prob to busy for me. if you walk onto the beach turn rt past the water sports and the taverna on the beach was fab run by a lovely family. thomson saff in hotel brill and not in your face but very good with childrenm swimming instructors very good, we all had a fab time

Fantastic!

by TripAdvisor Member COPSDevon

First impressions of the Hotel were great. Very clean and tidy. Our room was situation in the main block overlooking the pools and sea, the view was lovely. The room was newly equiped with all mod cons. The music in the evening from the entertainment was quiet loud but not enough for us to move and the children slept no problem. The entertainers themselves were brilliant. Couldnt do enough to help, funny, and great with the Kids. Never a dull moment, always something going on if you want to join in. Equally the far pool is much quieter to relax.

The main village was quiet with a few bars and resturants open in our first week. We walked to the next village (cut through by Apollo rest, right, over bridge and your there!) which had more choice of food. In two weeks we didn't have a bad meal all resturants were brilliant, however Paporo (from hotel left on the beach and follow along over bridge) was really good, Stifado and pizza unreal. Our favourite through was Naraida, truely amazing. Family run, always with a free drink and the food was so good we kept going back. Live music most nights at 8pm. If you want traditional geek this is it. (from Hotel beach turn right and walk til the end 5 mins).

The resort became more lively in the second week, people putting towels on the sun beds before dawn! despite plenty to go around.

Trips, the train was great fun made by the free local wine at the end. The shipwreck was amazing and the blue caves good, but once you have seen one they are pretty much the same. Zante town pretty and about 16 euro each way from the local taxi drivers Nick or Jimmy.

Our only issue came on the last day when we are charged 140 euros for using a cot. Cots should be prebooked by the travel agent, ours along with some other families were not. We refused to pay (as another family let off the charge) the rep threatened by not allowing the coach to leave. A negotiation was met at half price, however this will be a complaint we are taking forward.Not the hotels fault, the rep was useless in supporting us. If you are travelling with a baby ensure your travel agent has booked a cot!

Comments