Aquis Vasia Beach Hotel

Vasia Hotel and Spa
Tingo.com Travelocity AMOMA.com

Costs 56% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• Charming hotel in Síssi

We stayed at Hotel Vassia Beach in Síssi for the two weeks, we were in Crete. The hotel is small, but has its own pool, a restaurant and a terrace overlooking the ocean. The rooms were clean, the pool not too crowded (although we went to the beach most days) and the staff were very friendly. The hotel has expanded quite a bit since my visit there and rumour has it that it has lost some of its charm.

Síssi is a wonderful, small village with a nice, little harbour and a few tavernas and bars. The Pink Flamingo deserves a special mention for its food and very friendly owner. I would also recommend walking up to Epáno Síssi for a meal at one of the tavernas up there.

We found a few small beaches close to Hotel Vassia Beach, but mainly used the small beach of Avlaki, which is a 20-minute stroll from Síssi harbour towards Epáno Síssi. Boufos beach is a little closer, and you can rent sunbeds there, but it is not as private as Avlaki.

Síssi is not for the party-hardy people (yes I do mean “hardy” not “hearty”), but was perfect for the type of holiday we wanted, which was somewhere where we could unwind, go for a swim, have romantic meals, laze about, but have easy access to the rest of Crete.

More about Aquis Vasia Beach Hotel

loved the vasia

by TripAdvisor Member anne026

We have just returned from 2 weeks holiday at the Vasia Beach in Sissi. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay! The room was immaculate as was the whole place! Friendly staff, absolutely excellent food and nothing was too much trouble. We would definitely like to go back again next year. Sissi is a beautiful little place and we fell in love with it! The barbeque was also superb!

Disappointing!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member wokingSurrey_

After booking what we thought was a 5* hotel, we had expected a bit of luxury and I was extremely disappointed by Vasia Beach. Upon arrival after enduring the hot and tiring 1hour30 mins transfer time I was shocked to find that we were staying at a hotel that resembled the Tower of Terror ride!

I was worried about staying at this hotel as i did read all of the horror stories, but they are completely true!

THE FOOD:

The food was fine the first week, but after that it became EXTREMELY repetitive - it would be pork for lunch and pork for dinner!! ARGHHH!!

THE ALL INCLUSIVE SERVICE:

I would not say that this hotel actually opperated on an AI basis as you were only allowed one drink per person after literally queueing up for 30 mins. One occasion the manager served us only 3 drinks for 5 people, when we questioned why we could not have 2 more drinks, he tried to start an argument an said "I am not here just for you, you have to wait, you have had 3 drinks that is enough". I do not find this acceptable as we had paid for AI.

THE STAFF:

Rude and Extremely unhelpful Especially the reception staff, they do not have a clue!

Only one of the bars was open during the day, which was servicing 3 pools so there were vast queues!

THE ROOM:

The room was very nice, there is nothing bad i can say about it. It was equiped with everything you would need for a holiday. Apart from the air conditioning, this would turn off every 10/20 mins if there was no movement in the room, this was very annoying as it made a loud noise every time it turned off and on again so it woke you up all night. I think this a/c was rubbish, and would a proper 5* really not have a/c that turned off in 40 degree heat??? I dont think so!!!

SISI:

I thought Sisi was very nice and I definetly recommend eating in one of the many restaurants around the harbour as you can watch the sunset which is beautiful!

The hotel let in too many people and could not cope with the extra amount, there were queues everywhere - The BARS, the POOL BAR, the RECEPTION, The RESTAURANT.

I would not recommend the Vasia Beach Hotel, it is definetly true what they say - Pay more, Get more!!!

Worst Place Ever!

by TripAdvisor Member deadsoldier

I booked this 2 week stay all inclusive in the Vasia Beach, It has to be the worst hotel in the entire world!
It is no way a 5 star the food was rubbish the staff exceptionally rude and the Manager was the rudest man I have ever met in my whole life! There was several incidents to mention there but I will not bore you with all the details but here is some key points.... The air conditioning in the room fails to stay on the whole night as it is on a sensor which turns off after 20minutes of going to bed so throughout my entire stay I did not have a full nights sleep at all! as i had to keep getting up to switch it back on! VERY FRUSTRATING in 40degrees of heat. There is a distinct lack of open bars and the nearest one to the pool is a good 5minutes walk where they will only give you one drink after an average queing time of about 30minutes. The place is terrible the rooms are nothing better than you would expect from a 2 star The place is filthy there is no air con in the restaurant so flies come in and sit on the food from the open windows. The Staff are exceptionally rude and swear at you in Greek the Manager is extremely aggressive if you have a problem and repeatedly tells you to go away which is very rude. I would NEVER stay here again and advise people to stay away! and if they have booked try anything to change hotels

Complete waste of money!

by TripAdvisor Member vasiahater

I sated at this hotel for 2 weeks in june and july and can safely say this is a 3 star plus hotel. rooms very nice (providing in new part) and restaurant nice. food rubbish, haven't been to the toilet properly since i left and i have been back for 5 days! Pools quite nice but very noisy and no bar unless your at the wasp surrounded pool. So VERY annoying having to walk along to appaling and dangerous walkways to the bar at the other end of hotel. This is just the hotel itself. Now i may inform you of the staff, the lies they told, and the horrendous behaviour to my travelling party and my friends that we met at the vasia beach (elliot and louise i love you guys!!!!)
When we first arrived at the hotel late at night, we were given a room in the old part which the receptionist told us was a really nice room. Temperatures were touching fifty degrees outside and when we walked into the room we were being hit with a much warmer temperature thana that. Your couldnt even stand in this room when we walked in. Oh, lets get the air con on we say, oh wait...there is no aircon. Bathroom was two star at best and no air con. We had air con in one bedroom and all had to sleep in there the first night as we could not be moved. Then we woke up to a horrible view of a building site and the back of reception. THATS IT! we were not staying in that for 5 star for love nor money. So later, after much deliberation we were moved to a very nice room which was actually of a 5 star standard with a great view of pools and sea.
Later on in the day, we chose to ring england, we usually us ephone boxes abroad but i asked the lady in reception how much to use the phone in reception, " to ring england?" so i said "yes" "10 cent a minute" she said " wow, thats cheap!" i say "yes we are very cheap" she replied. So we use the phone several times paying very cheap prices. So oe night, when the enetertainment wasn't so great i choose to use the phone and the ones in reception were being used so i asked if the one in my room wa sthe same price " of course" im told. so i use he phone for 50 minutes expecting a bill of a few euros. i go to pay and told by the night receptionist, its 122 euros. My face dropped in complete shock. I tried so hard to question how it could be that much and he told me to leave it for now and speak to a manager in the morning. I talk to her and she explains that that is the bill and we question how it can be over 2 euros a minute to make a call. The manager of the hotel came to negotiate and became VERY agressive and rude despiete OUR negotiable and rational tone. They halved the bill and if we didnt pay it he said he would get all our bills and charge us 2 euros a minute for every call we made. "You pay cheap before, this is the price" i told them what they other lady said and they all whispered in greek and came back with the same answer. The Manager then stopped serving us drinks and not adding the spirits to drinks we requested. You have to order more than one drink because glasses are so small.
The manager later said to my friend, "come to my office and fight me and my friend, or your out tomorrow" How despicable is that behaviour? He than continued to lock us out of our rooms using the pathetic card all inclusive system the hotel uses.
The barbecue was really nice but a waste of time. The place looked beautiful with so much world put into creating a outdoor restaurant, but the queues were reaching half an hour for some food in 50 degree temperatures..... 5 star? i dont think so.
Chinese restaurant awful... Italian beautiful with the most stunning sunset... i will ad videos and pics, you could actually see the sun set. It was fantastic. The nearest good beach is at the actual 5 star of kalimera kriti, which is beautiful, the bus the hotel takes you to is not very nic ebut just get the bus and walk over the rocks to the nice one.
I really wish i could say something good (i usually always do) but i just cant. The hotel looks horrible and needs paining. The design of it is dreadful and it looks like a prison. My friend louise thinks reception looks like tower of terror ride, and she is also going to post a picture. Go to an actual 5 star or a good three star. I am not a snob, but not a fake 5 star that doesnt even make a good holiday that a 3 star would. All the bad reviews are true. sorry to say and if you canm change your booking i strongly advise you do, if not keep out the mangers way and take something for your stomach. Also expect three star. Weather though is jut superb. not a cloud and 50 degrees. Without my awesome friends, this holiday wouldn't have lasted the full term.

Great holiday!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member ParrD

We've just returned from a 7 night stay at the Vasia and it was great! We booked a villa room with private pool which we didnt even use as the main pool had so much going on. We travelled as 2 couples but this hotel would really suit families also. The food was really nice and changed every night, they even had a BBQ. The rooms and hotels main areas are spotless and all the staff are so friendly. I really couldnt think of anything that we could complain about!! I would love to go back.

Rated 5* Definately NOT 5*

by TripAdvisor Member Caz246

Ive travelled to Greece approximately 25 times in the last 5 years staying in 5* hotels and getting very good value and excellent service, which I have always been pleased with until this occasion.
The rating is 5* but nothing about this hotel is 5*. I paid a lot more to stay here than when Ive been to other 5* hotels in Greece, and was looking forward to my stay, from the hotel description. However as soon as I pulled up at the hotel I could see this did not look like a 5* hotel.
If I had paid for a 3 or 4 star hotel then this would be ok.
It is called a beach hotel but to get to the beach it is approx a 10 minute bus ride away.
There is no proper service in the restaurant, for example you help yourself to wine out of a tap! (no proper wine glasses, just glass beakers.)
No coffee is served at the table,(help yourself out of a machine) orange juice is not juice but orange squash.
Food is basic, but there is a large varied choice, again of a good 3 or 4 star quality hotel but not of a 5*. There are 2 A la Carte restaurants (Chinee and Italian) which you are entitled to use once during your stay, I did not get chance to use these as I moved hotel after my 3rd day, so cannot comment on the food or service in these.
If you are looking for a cheap A/Inc holiday and get this at a cheap price, then it is fine. But I paid expensive for this hotel and was expecting 5* quality and service!
The grounds are not that well kept.
Some of the Furniture in the hotel areas is quite shabby and basic in most places.
I booked a suite, but although the room was clean and serviced quite well it was just a basic room. Quite a good size though.
Main pool quite small, very noisy, lots of children and animation.
Again I would say that if you can get this at a cheap price and are not looking for 5* accomodation then this is a nice choice, but definately NOT if you are expecting 5*.
Med Hotels were my agent for this hotel, and the Rep was very rude and unhelpfull. (I have used Med Hotels in other holiday resorts many times before and they have been fine, and good!)

Superb

by TripAdvisor Member elsie08

I thought that this hotel was amazing. The food was lovely, there was plenty of pool entertainment and the accomodation was great. We stayed in the accomodation with the private swimming pool; this may be more expensive but is a great way to get out of the sun for a little bit. Anybody who has complained about this hotel must have high expections and must of expected something like waiter/waitress serving constantly. This may be a 5 star but no matter where you go abroad you won't get this. Once again it was a lovely resort and would definately recommend it to adults and families. We also went on a boat trip across to Dia Dolphin Island this was also fabulous. There is a supermarket next door to the hotel. This may be a little bit more expensive but there is not a lot of difference in prices. I would definately suggest all inclusive.

scoff till you drop!

by TripAdvisor Member steph26

My stay at Vasia was very enjoyable but i found the hotels web site to be very mis leading. The description of my junior suite was great but when we got there it was only a room with a area for a pull out bed if there was more than 2 of you. The remote for the air con was the wrong one, luckly we were staying with another couple and we borrowed theres! There was a bath with a shower head attached to the taps but nothing to place the shower head on to so you have to bathe. After my initial anger over the room i dont really have any other complaints apart from one of the outside bars being closed so you have miles to walk to get drinks all the time. The grounds are very well kept with someone spraying the walkways and cleaning constantly. The food was fab, you end up eating so much because theres such a choice and you dont want to miss out! All the food was good quality and meats cooked in front of you. This was great for me as im so fussy and find meals difficult sometimes. Sissi is nice and the harbour is very pleasant. Theres shops and tavernas but not to excess, completely different to Malia down the road.
Over all a nice hotel, you dont realise how large it is! Maybe if cocktails were included in the package i would return one day!

Exceptional Holiday

by TripAdvisor Member thewhitestuff

After reading some of the reviews on this site my girlfriend and i were quite worried about what we may discover, however the Vassia Beach Hotel is exceptional. From our arrival at 3am to our check out the staff were always helpful and pleasant, with an entertainment team that are fun but not to much in your face. The hotel itself is beautiful and always immaculate inside and out. Our room was equally as impresive with AC, a power shower, flat screen tv, large dresser, wardrobe, and plenty of power points for camera re-charge, mobile phone or razor. The food was very good with plenty of choice on buffet food, not to mention the additional meals in the on site resturants, Italian & Chinese, not authentic but very enjoyable. The BBQ was perhaps the only dissapointing meal in all the time we stayed, it was not the food that was fine, just the length of time spent in queue's, eat while you queue or it will be cold. Sissi itself is beautiful but not much to do only eat, drink, and enjoy yourself, but thats what we went for. I would definately recommend this place

Comments