Hotel Polyrizos

Hotel Polyrizos
Booking.com eDreams Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Crete Island

Thats me in one of the many swing seatsThats me in one of the many swing seats

The western end of Sitia BeachThe western end of Sitia Beach

Inside looking outInside looking out

GouvesGouves

Quiet and pretty places on the southside for painting

by osandland

Hi all,

Do you have any suggestions on a picturesque area on the southside where a few painters would find inspiration for a few weeks?
If it was in the central area of the island (south-ish of Rethymno) it would allow them to get flights to either of the airports and still not be too far from the destination.

Now.. longer story... I have been backpacking the Greek islands quite a few summers, but I always stayed away from tourist-magnets like Rhodes, Cyprus, Crete and Santorini to mention a few...
Business (go figure) brought me to Crete a few years back, and I got the chance to spend a few days on my own... I ended up driving across the island on the north side, then south... and I loved it.

However, my years of fairly loud disapproval of Crete as a sensible place to visit rubbed off on my mother. She told me a little while that she was going to Greece this year to paint with some friends. When I suggested Crete as a good destination - she instantly discarded the alternative :), and I have to find a way to convince her.

One of the main reasons for my suggestion is the fact that there are multiple airports and much easier to catch a low fare flight into the island (flying in from Oslo).
Additionally, they are multiple people arriving and leaving at different dates as well.. which is easier on an island with multiple flights a week.

In regards to what's picturesque, anything goes. I just have to make sure I don't send them off to a desert or something :)). My mother (and all the rest of us) love the true Greece, and we keep looking for it everywhere we go.
She is totally obsessed with colourful flowers as well as colourful people and boats :). She's probably done with painting little white and blue churches though - if you get my idea.

So.. if you're still with me - thanks for your time and I appreciate any suggestions and comments.

Rgds,
Ørjan

by oriettaIT

Hi Barbara, thanks for sharing this infos, I do love Crete and knew about some of this site but you have a pile of them!!

About the main subjects i think Matala would be a good idea because its scenery cave itself and beacuse some good archeological site nearby.
same for Paleochora, the village is nice and it give the possibility to take the ferry to Loutro, more there is many mountain's villages nearby.
Both this destinations would need to hire a car, there is pubblic bus connectiong to the main town Heraklion and Chania, but to discover the indide of Crete the car is the only real option.
Happy paiting!!

by kat-m

Matala area mis nice, the surrounding countryside is very pretty, you can get the ktel buses to everywhere, or a car is fantastic for exploring that area, read my crete tips for more info and great hotel to stay in matala

by bobojnr

Hi,
One place worth a look may be to Agia Galini as a base, there is a direct bus to both Heraklion and Rethymnon. So when people are returning at different times it may be ideal, rather than the driver/s of the rental car/s having to keep going over and back the island.
From Galini you are within easy reach of Skafia, Matala, Spili, Feastos, Gortyns. Smaller picturesque villages / areas include Kokkinos Pyrgos, Amari Valley,Zaros Gorge, I got some fabulous photographs last year between the beaches of Aghios Pavlos and Triopetra. If you like I can email some images.

This is the main Galini site

Enjoy
Bobo

Travel Tips for Crete Island

Beaches in Crete - Matala

by ramot418

There are lots of beaches in Crete, of course.
However, those on the northern coast tend to be a little rocky or at least stony.

However, we found a nice sandy beach on the south coast at the town of Matala. During the high season it tends to be a little crowded, but it's still a great beach (small, but beautiful). The town itself is very 'touristy'. As for eateries, we preferred the neighbouring (and *much* quieter) village of Pitsidia. There was a choice of about 4-5 restaurants and we had an excellent and relaxing meal at one of them.

The Minoan civilization

by janchan

The most brilliant Aegean island civilization, however, was the Cretan or Minoan civilization which flourished in Crete mainly in the 3rd and 2nd millennia B.C. and took its name from the legendary king of Knossos, Minos.
They built magnificent palaces, such as those of Knossos, Phaestos, Malia and Zakros.

It suddenly and misteriously disappeared at the end of 1500 B.C. after the volcanic eruption of Thera (Santorini) which, according to one view, also caused the destruction of Crete.

Retzina... yes, it tastes delicious!

by call_me_rhia

From the the Epicurious Dictionary: "sappy and turpentinelike". I disagree! It's general belief that Retzina is an aquired taste: I agree, it took me one sip to aquire it!
It's a wine - with a special pine-like taste that one will never forget. I think that it was born by mistake from wine shipped in pine-pitch sealed vessels - and the pine flavour remained. One small tip: taste it with some appetizers - like goat cheese or olives or stuffed wine-leaves... it's even better than alone. A bottle costs about 2.50 euros in a restaurant and, normally, it's more than enough for two people. But ask if they have home-made retzina: it's even more delicious.

Samarian Gourge

by misodiva

A hike I will never forget. I am not in good shape, it took me about 6 hours to complete, 7 miles. We took a tour bus to the top, start early in am, go straight down switchbacks for about a mile. Then in the actual gourge you are essential walking on a old river bed, over white stones. The walls are beautiful covered with evergreens and amazing rock formations. At the end you come to a town with restaurants and beautiful beaches that is only accessible by the ferry. So you ferry back to the bus. Amazing Must have good walking hiking shoes. I wore tennis shoes and different sources,some said tennis shoes okay, some said must have hiking boots. But you are walking over so many stones you really need to traction. Also really need a good walking stick as the first part is very steep. Bring some drinking water, snacks, and sunscreen. By the end of the hike we were very hot and lots of sun.

Lake Kournas

by Lilasel

Lake Kournas is one of only two lakes in Crete and covers a total area of about 160,000 square metres with a depth of up to 25 metres. (48 km east of Chania) The name is derived from the Arabic word for lake. Dense vegetation surrounds the scenic lake and the southeastern bank is lined with olive trees. A strip of white sand beside the lake provides an area for swimming and cafes.

THE MYTH OF THE LADY OF THE LAKE