Crete Island Hotels

Our Members Say

• trainsboatsandplanes profile photo trainsboatsandplanes
  • Reviews: 1

King Minos Palace Hotel, Hersonissos, Crete: Little gem

Greek mythology warrior King Minos would be mightily proud of this palace named after him. Not that this is a palace - it’s a 4-star hotel on the eastern tip of the resort of Hersonissos, Crete, and a damn good one it is to.
Everything you want from a good hotel is here - very friendly and competent staff; an impressive layout in very pleasant surroundings; rooms of a good size; the hotels public areas, bars, restaurants, guest rooms and gardens kept spotlessly clean; a magnificent pool area, and above all, the food is of a very high standard.
One slight worry some people may have is that the vast majority of the rooms have ‘shared’ balconies; that’s to say the balconies are only separated by a very low rail/wall. Is this a minus for the Minos? It’s your choice.
It’s takes around five minutes to walk to the start of the 2km stretch of shops, bars, restaurants, etc, that make up the resort of Hersonissos and a good half hour to stroll to the harbour.
The hotel is quite sophisticated but the resort is most certainly not. It’s a lively place, particularly in July and August. In May, however, when my wife and I went, Hersonissos is much less lively but none the less busy enough to have an interesting people-watching stroll after evening meal.
It is is very unfair to describe the resort as “sleezy”, as one well-known tour guide does.
There are plenty of good quality bars and restaurants and the shops (in the main) are very well presented. The shops in the streets leading to the lively harbour area are particularly impressive, many of them selling designer clothes which were way beyond our pocket!
There are a number of beaches stretching from Hersonisssos all the way to Malia in the east. The more interesting and less busy ones are to be found walking along the coastline towards Stallis.
One last tip; hire a car and explore the majestic mountains of Crete. The scenery here is quite stunning and has to be some of the best in the whole of the Mediterranean.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Hiking and Walking, Historical Travel, Family Travel
  • Written March 31, 2010

• Martin_S. profile photo Martin_S.
  • Reviews: 2645

Aphrodite Beach Hotel: Aphrodite, great and close to the sea

This hotel was recommended to us by friends and they were correct, it was quite good. We did have some "extra" experiences there that made it extra special. The first photo shows me with Vasilias. When we arrived at the hotel, this gentleman walked up to me, put his arm around my shoulder, took hold of my beard and said something in Greek. When I asked him he said "follow me". We entered one of the offices of the hotel and he pointed to a photo of a Greek Orthodox priest, also with a beard similar to mine...Vasilias then said "This is my father and YOU look like him". He then took me by the arm and escorted me out to where Zohara and our friends were waiting for me. We were then invited for coffee at the hotel poolside restaurant where Vasilias told the waitress to give us anything we desired. We inquired later and found out that he (Vasilias) is the owner of the hotel...As it turned out, he sometimes sat with us during meals, brought us other special dishes (not those given to the other hotel guests) and invited us to meet some of his family, including his beloved dog Cos who you can see in the last photo with Zohara.

The hotel itself is divided into several sections, the main building which also houses the restaurant, bar and pool, then a detached section of lower cost rooms. Another detached section has a number of larger and more expensive rooms with two pools and bar attached. Across the street is yet another section of middle cost rooms. All use the same dining area.
There is also a gaming area, spa and exercise room in the basement. The hotel is situated just across the road from the ocean, so you only have to walk about 50 meters to get to the water.

• Related to: Beaches, Family Travel, Spa and Resort
  • Written January 25, 2010

Vasilias and Martin, Crete, Greece

• Debbiemaria profile photo Debbiemaria
  • Reviews: 3

Camping Caravan Hersonissos: Crete's most beautiful Campsite and bungalows

This campsite in Hersonissos is in a wonderful little oasis directly on the beach, in fact surrounded by quiet unspoilt beaches. The service is refreshingly fast for Greece but still relaxed and efficient. There is a large open bar next to the restaurant area where you can sit and watch the world go by listening to the waves crashing on the rocks. When the sun went down we enjoyed the banter from the staff and locals and were made to feel very welcome and part of the team. They serve a wonderful variety of food including homemade and very fresh and tasty Pastitsio, Stifado or moussaka but be warned if you have a good appetite try the wonderful mixed grill. When we got the bill we couldn't believe how cheap it was for such traditional wonderful food and great portions. We then once again joined everyone at the bar trying out the cocktails (strong) and then my partner insisted we tried the the local Raki and I opted for Ouzo, this was on the house with George, the owner of Camping Caravan. The drinks flowed and we had some wonderful evenings meeting a huge array of people, a lot of long time friends of George who visit sometimes twice a year from all over the world.
We spent some wonderful evenings at this bar and are so thankful we found this campsite called Camping Caravan in Hersonissos as it is by far the best, cheapest and friendliest on Crete.
The facilities are great and cleaned twice a day. It also has table tennis, playstation, tv and pool on offer. We didn't fancy out tent when we found out there were 14 gorgeous little bungalows to stay in for our 2 week holiday which are right on the beach.
Every morning we woke to the sun and the view of the waves crashing on the rocks right outside our door ........... I can't wait for next summer as we will definately be going there again.

Camping Caravan is in a fantastic location on the beach, with 2 other quiet beaches nearby. The town of Hersonissos is only a short 20min walk or the bus runs every 10mins. It is great to walk from the campground along the beaches for miles and miles towards Stalis and Malia. I have never seen these types of 6 sided houses for rent before, they are perfect, cool and have everything you need. The bar and restaurant is one of the cheapest in the area the food is freshly cooked by all the family and the service was the friendliest I came across, anything you needed to know just ask the staff they are very happy to help you.
Price for the tent is 4 euro and 8.50 euros per person. The bungalows are from 20 euros per person but the price is much cheaper if there are 2 of you and even better if you take the 4 birth bunglow. Website:- www.camping-caravan.doodlekit.com

• Related to: Camping, Museum Visits, Beaches
  • Written December 7, 2009

Bungalows at Camping Caravan

• VikingHarald profile photo VikingHarald
  • Reviews: 26

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

TALOS room for rent: Rooms in center of the old town of Chani Crete

Talos room for rent in center of Chania old town Crete....is excellent place to have accomodation. Around you is lovely old town of Chania and all what you need is just...in walking distance.

Near the old port and lovely landlord for the rooms ....Yannis.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written November 27, 2009

All in short distance

• Susi_Blackforest profile photo Susi_Blackforest
  • Reviews: 86

Karoline Studios: Quiet, cool studios with a lovely view

The charming owners of the Karoline Studios gave us a very warm welcome and looked after us very well.
The studio was clean and in a shady quiet position with a nice terrace.
We were very pleased with the equipment, the frequent cleaning and changing of towels and bedding. Water pressure in the shower was very good and we had hot water all day long.
The stay was very pleasant, as the studio is in a position where we had a lovely view of the sea and a constant breeze.
We would go there again any time.

Wonderful views and beach and restaurants in walking distance.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel, Beaches
  • Written August 20, 2009

• anek01 profile photo anek01
  • Reviews: 5

Sunwing Resort Makrigialos: Nice nearby beach, varying food quality

The resort consists of several apartment complexes, located more or less close to the main building Apollo. We had a lovely apartment 100 meters from the beach with a full view of the beach and of the ocean. Since hotel amenities were located in the main building, one had to walk there several times a day to receive needed services. Makrigialos is hilly and the walk along the steep road to the reception was challenging in the heat, particularly with a baby stroller.

The beach in front of the hotel was not wide - approximately 300 meters, but had perfect conditions for families with small kids (the sea was shallow for 100 meters so one could safely let kids play at the beach and in the water).

The resort had daily arrrangements for both kids and adults. Our kids liked their arrangements (ghost night, mini marathon, face painting, quiz, etc.) and I took the opportunity to sign up for physical exercises (power walk, core training, etc.)

The resort had a pool area that is certain to meet the expactions of most people. One large pool with assymetric shape for playing, a rectangular pool for water polo, water gymnastics and swimming, a smaller pool for kids who cannot swim and a tiny pool for the smallest ones.

The resort had several restaurants with food quality that ranged from horrible to good (we never ate at the exclusive a la carte restaurant, so we cannot tell if the food there was even excellent).

On the downside our welcome dinner buffet at the large main restaurant that costed us 23 Euros per adult (kids were eating for free) was a big disappointment. The food invoked memories from tasteless food in a school canteen. From this bad experience we decided not to have any more buffet at the hotel. Instead, we ate at restaurants in the village, at the small restaurant La Tasca close to the pool and in our apartment (since it had a small kitchen). We can recommend La Tasca. We ate there several times and were overall satisified.

I would recommend the resort to anyone who likes spending time in water. With 100 meters to an excellent beach and with four different pools, there is always an option for you. Stay away from the buffets and you will most certainly be very happy with your stays

* Pool area

* Beach

• Related to: Family Travel, Beaches, Water Sports
  • Written July 22, 2009

• Jami_Finland profile photo Jami_Finland
  • Reviews: 21

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Orion Star: Nice Apartment Hotel in Agia Marina

Nice rooms and BIG balcony with chairs and table. Especially two bedrooms and living room with two shower rooms! Fortunately, there is no heating and air conditioning costs about 7 EUR/day, minimum.

If you go there on May, it might be quite cold and if it's cloudy, everything keeps wet for days.

HUGE FAULT was those TERRIBLE BEDS and PILLOWS! They were HARD as stone!!! All of them. Also, blankets were STINKY!! Hope to get some changes to them.

In Kitchenette were only basic staff, not coffee machine or micro-wave. Fridge was large enough.

Our room was in the basement, but it helped to keep the room cool even it was very warm weather. So, air condition wasn't needed.
Bad thing is that worms and other aliens came inside when sun went down. It wasn't a big problem, but maybe that won't happen if your room is on first floor or higher.

Pool was quite small, but enough for swimming after sun bathing. Beach is only 150 meters from the Hotel. Also, there IS pool for childrens.

Supermarkets are around this Hotel and many restaurant too.

Quiet neighbourhood, but unfortunately noices came thru the sealing. I think it's major problem in all Hotels, which are made from cement and stone and don't have any carpets.

Generally, it was very quiet Hotel and nice service at Reception also.

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written May 23, 2009

• angiebabe profile photo angiebabe
  • Reviews: 1671

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hote Krista: Awful - awfully dirty but helpful on the budget

This place was recommended in the Rough Guide I had with me on Greece - it was fairly handy to the ferry port - about 10 mins but steep steps to get up from the ground level from the port to the graduating levels that makes the town of Iraklion.

The woman manager offered me a room for 35 euro which I thought at that time of night to make do with - she of course reckoned that the other hotels I was asking about that were recommended for budget travellers in my Rough Guide were not in areas that were suitable to walk around in for solo female travellers.

I looked quickly at the room which was on the ground level close to the reception area - I had a little patio out the back with a clothes line and pegs so I took the opportunity to do some washing.

After moving in I realised how dirty the place was - the floor was filthy - and there were hairs all over the pillow and several in the bed - that was yuk - but I should be ashamed that I didnt go and do something about it - except throw one pillow up on to the top of the wardrobe and turn the other pillow over - and rid the visible hairs in thebed and then just pretend Id never seen them.

It was a laugh though that in the morning after Id shut the door to outside the night before Id not been able to open it again so I had to jumpout the window to get my stuff off the line and then climb back in again! The manager would have to go get it fixed!

• Related to: Budget Travel, Historical Travel, Women's Travel
  • Written October 31, 2008

• kat-m profile photo kat-m
  • Reviews: 254

Fish Taverna, Falasarna: A night out at Falasarna

After driving from Rethimnon to Chania and balos,we decided to visit Falasarna and stay the night. We found the taverna had rooms to rent and were delighted with the sea view,the lovely clean room,with fridge and the small path to the beach. We ate at the taverna that night and next morning too, and were very satisfied, The young waiter was lovely, all shy and eager to please, I think nowadays this is becoming rare. Would return if we were ever in the area again.

Great views,peaceful location, nice service.

• Related to: Road Trip, Family Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written October 11, 2008
Tip Photo

Taken from top of road leading down toFalasarna

• angiebabe profile photo angiebabe
  • Reviews: 1671

Neapolis Hotel: Excellent hotel and proprietors

This place was recommended as being the one excellent hotel in town - it was difficult to find and later found out that because it was being totally renovated the sign had been taken down so Id been unable to find it.

But after driving around town several times and then phoning the proprietor he drove up on his motorbike to find me and then guide me to his hotel. His asking price was 35 euro for one person without breakfast - he accepted my attempt at haggling it down to 30 euro.

All being lovingly renovated with totally new flooring and wall panelling, fixtures and fittings, fridges and air conditioning, new showers and wooden furniture this place demonstrates the care that the owners have for their project and for their future clients.

I was then asked if I wanted somewhere good to eat and that he would drive me there so I would not get lost in the dark! The whole family bundled into the car and drove me up to his friend or family's restaurant and I was blessed with excellent local dishes for my last night in Greece! and being off the tourist circuit this place was at really low for the locals prices!

As above - the decent people that run this hotel!

Clean and comfortable - the little things such as a flower on the dressing table and drinking glasses for any cold drinks you might have brought with you to keep cool in the fridge also supplied.
Handy hotel to the Lasithi Plateau - at Neapoli, set in a high valley, the road up into the mountains begins it spectacular climb.

• Related to: Road Trip, Adventure Travel, Women's Travel
  • Written July 28, 2008

• Balam profile photo Balam
  • Reviews: 1731

Klio Apartments (Gouves): Basic but nice

A nice family run apartment complex set in gardens with a swimming pool, pool bar, children’s play area, Restaurant and a Main bar. There is also a computer inside the main building for internet access ( €1 for 20 minutes). Children’s play area and a Lounge
The apartments are basic but not wanting of anything except maybe a toaster and a couple of extra plates. Air Con is with an extra fee of €75 for 2 weeks. Safety deposit boxes are fitted in the rooms and are €25 for 2 weeks. Rooms are cleaned every other day with sheets and towels changed every 3 although they seem to come for about 3 days then miss one.
Wednesdays is Karaoke night from 21:00
The Restaraunt is basic, we tried it just the once and to be honest although it was not expensive the food was awfull, there are much better places within a short walk.

See the Official Thomas cook Video of Klio Apartments

See my Video of Klio Apartments

Reception (Mon-Sat) 08:00 – 15:00 (after 15:00 you have to go to the mini market)
Restaurant 08:30 – 12:30 and 18:30 – 21:30
Pool Bar 10:00 – 18:00
Main Bar 18:00 – Late
Mini market 07:30 – 23:00

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Singles
  • Written July 19, 2008

Klio Apartments, Gouves

• oriettaIT profile photo oriettaIT
  • Reviews: 510

Neli Studios: In Chania center

This Studios is located in Chania center, close to the city cathedral. The rooms are clean and comfortable and provided with fridge and a small kitchenette.
They don't serve breakfast but there are many bars, backery and pastry shops in Chania center.
If you have a car you can easily fond a place to park near the harbour that is at walking distance.
Don't be afraid about the Chatedral bell, it ring loudly, but only on Sunday morning :-)))

Position in the city center.

• Written March 2, 2008

• Joenes profile photo Joenes
  • Reviews: 457

Plakias Youth Hostel: THE place to be when in Plakias

This is an amazing place if you are looking to meet people from all over the world and of all ages!
Englishman Chris runs this hostel and does an amazing job and knows all there is to know of the region so if you are wondering where to go or what to do he will be more then happy to help you.

In the morning you can get eggs in all forms very cheap. Beer and wine are also available.
The showers run on solar energy so be sure to pick the right time of the day ....:-)

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written February 29, 2008

Sleeping inside or outside

• manosv1 profile photo manosv1
  • Reviews: 1

Renia Hotel Apartments Crete Island: Renia Hotel a Special hotel

That was a great stay and one of the best summer holidays i ever had.
We enjoy that very much in Renia and the beach was great.
The pool also in Renia was nice and my kids enjoy that in maximum.
we are going back next summer for sure.

wifi was very comfortable for me.
and the pool for my kids.

• Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Women's Travel, Family Travel
  • Written February 2, 2008
Tip Photo

• marilynatsthelens profile photo marilynatsthelens
  • Reviews: 9

Akti Olous Hotel stay: Elounda September 2007

In great location. Superb views.
Stayed B&B, breakfasts very good. Staff very helpful.
Room was spotless and just right, although balcony didn't have best view but we were hardly inside to be on the balcony!
Can eat right at waters edge in hotel's own restaurant / for any meal.
Rooftop pool small but brilliant views and quiet.
Some great walks in area.
Only about 5 minutes walk to main village shops and maybe up to 5 minutes more to main square. Can stroll along road by shops but if want to avoid road (main road) can stroll along edge of sea into main square, past tavernas.
Trips:-
1) Spinalonga Island (former leper colony & has castle).
2) little Tourist Train round trip.
3) Ag Nik (Aghios Nikolaos), jump bus to here, buses cheap and frequent.
4) Jump bus to Plaka (traditional fishing village with links to Spinalonga).
5) Walk along Causeway & over other side of canal, see ruined city of Olous, old saltpans, Byzantine mosaic behind Canal Bar, old church, quiet and beautiful beaches, tranquility, windmills.
6) Jump bus to quieter, paradise-like beaches along coast like those at Istron.

The setting of the hotel is the best thing and of its restaurant.
There is a supermarket close by up on the main road part, not on the road by the sea.
Drawbacks of a stay at Elounda? Mainly that it takes a fair time to transfer from the airport - but in my opinion it is well worth the journey.
Another drawback to the holiday is Heraklion Airport and the system used when you are returning home. Queueing outside. We had to stand there 2 hours but I have to say this was a lot longer than anyone else queued whilst we were there. Our flight was delayed so maybe that was the reason but it was a nightmare (you are weary, it's the ealry hours of the morning, you are feeling low as you are going home, there are coaches and taxis spewing fumes in your face and the Thomas Cook reps were giving us no information, but were having fun, larking about, laughing, dancing, running, giggling, behaving most unprofessionally in our opinion and the opinion of many others. We said that although our holiday had been wonderful, we would never go there with Thomas Cook ever again. In fact, we are extremely reluctant to go anywhere with Thomas Cook! Many people in the queue said similar. There were elderly persons in the queue who were really struggling. Standing there as we did, seeing other holiday companies drop people off to form a queue beside us and watch them file straight into the airport whilst we still had to stand, was more and more soul-destroying as time went on. I have asthma and the traffic fumes were playing havoc with my chest.

• Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Beaches