Analipsi, Hersonissos, 12345, Greece

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Beyond Wonderful

I spotted this hotel in a holiday brochure and researched it further online. In spite of some stinging reviews on another website, I knew this was the place for me and was delighted when the opportunity presented itself for me to spend a dreamy fortnight here.

We arrived at the hotel on a balmy 27 degree evening and were met with smiles and chilled glasses of bubbly. Checkin was swift and we were shown to our room in block 8. The hotel is very large by European standards, numbering 9 blocks in all.

Initially unimpressed by our view over a side road and down to the sea, I soon grew to realise that this was the perfect room for us. The hotel had obviously read my emails and chose a room close to everything for my disabled Mum. The room was large, exceptionally clean, sink-into beds, jet showers, a sunset facing balcony, efficient aircon - what more could you want? Well, whatever it is, I bet we had it!

I will do more detailed reviews on the seven gourmet restaurants at our disposal onsite each day. I don't know where they got their amazing chefs, but I'm pretty sure I spotted the executive chef, Christos Karagiannakos, as a guest chef on one of those TV chef programmes a few weeks ago.

There are six large pools and, at the time we were there, the temperature was bathwater warm. It's just as well that we had so many pools at our disposal as the heat ensured we spent more time in the pool than out.

The hotel has very cleverly divided the pools area of the property in two - all upper levels and pools are for family and child use, while the lower levels are for adult only enjoyment. We found this worked very effectively.

In addition to this near-perfect system, the hotel sports an array of rooms with private and semi-private pools. Most of the ground floor rooms are swim up, meaning that you have direct access from your room's decking to a semi private pool. In my opinion these are the choice rooms! Again, most of the rooftop rooms boast totally private pools.

Ditto with the restaurants at breakfast time - the Red Saffron is devoted solely to adult use and the Main Restaurant is for everyone. We enjoy the company of family and, although we had left ours at home, we ventured into the main restaurant most mornings.

Every night saw entertainment of some nature, varying over a 7 night period. By that I mean that the hotel entertainment staff put on shows several nights of a 7 day week. These are then repeated from week to week. Interspersed with this, acts are flown in from the UK two or three nights per week and these differ from week to week and night to night. They were top class! IN addition to this, a duo sang every night at the Boardwalk outside bar/show area and at the lobby bar. I didn't enjoy them - the female singer sounded the very same no matter what she screeched. It was one of the very few downsides of the trip.

The location is terrific - directly across the road from the miles long Lyttos beach.

The surrounding area is a quiet village but there are plenty of shops and tavernas to explore if you can bare to drag yourself away from the delightful surrounds of your hotel. Indeed, there are two supermarkets directly across the road from the hotel's main entrance and they compete with each other to offer the best bargains.

The hotel itself offers a very well stocked supermarket and an eye-catching upmarket jewelry store.

Add to that the spa that has been voted the second best in all of Europe and you have a recipe here for the perfect holiday.

Unique Quality: I would like to clarify that the hotel is owned by the Atlantica hotel group and is officially known as the "Atlantica Caldera Palace". The name "Sensatori" comes from the involvement of the UK company Thomson Holidays. That group arranged with Atlantica (and several other hotels across the world) to introduce a holiday concept called "Sensatori" to the hotel. Thomson flew in quite a number of their own staff to run that concept in situ. In fairness, much of what they do is wonderful but we did have problems with them on departure which had nothing to do with the hotel.

More about Sensatori Resort

Loved hotel and room...food not 5 star yet. Angela and Jim , Glasgow

by TripAdvisor Member angela_mckenna21

Hi we arrived back from Sensatori early hours of Friday morning.
We had a fantastic holiday. Some issues to be resolved by hotel management but on the whole a great place.

Arrival at airport : greeted by Sensatori reps and they put label for room number on your case. Case then put onto transfer coach and you do not see this until you arrived at your room.

Transfer: direct and approx 30 minutes.

Arrival at hotel: a "wow"...the lobby is stunning, greeted by lovely staff and given a welcome drink and light buffet. We then were checked in very quickly and given keys to room.

Room: another "wow"..we had a double swim up room. It had a rather large double bed, flat screen tv and patio doors which led out onto decking with 2 sunbeds (very comfy) and a table and 2 chairs. We then had a set of ladders which led into the swim up pool. Absolutely fab and unique. Loved this. Did book a Double Swim up, Seaview room but I would doubt the seaview was a direct seaview room more Limited seaview.
The bathroom was amazing, 2 cubicles one housed the toilet and another a power shower, also had a jacuzzi bath. The one complaint about the shower was that it leaked and water flooded into the toilet cubicle. This was sorted within a couple of days.

Buffet breakfast: this for 4 mornings was hosted in the main restaurant which was rather noisy. Choice of food was great and staff lovely. The last 2 mornings the Taverna was also used for breakfast for adults only, this was a refreshing idea and was more relaxed. Again choice of food was great and link sausages were available.

Lunch: lunch was either buffet in the Taverna or in the Tex mex. The service in the Tex Mex was terrible and I would say not the best food avaible in this restaurant. The staff in the Tex Mex seemed to panic when all the tables were full. We tended to stick with the Buffet as you could also help yourself to the wine and beer.

Dinner: Main restaurant offered buffet meals but again was rather noisy, they did have one side of the restaurant which seemed to have more tables for 2...we did choose this when we ate in the main restaurant for dinner. The Thai, Tex Mex and Taverna restaurants were included in the full board plus package but had to be booked in advance. We ate in all of them and the best was The Thai restaurant , food and service were definite winners.
We also ate in the Aroma Stone grill which again had to be booked in advance but was not included in the full board plus package we had a discount of 20 euros from the bill. One complaint was that you had to pay for water, wine and beer which was expensive. The food in this restaurant was amazing, we opted for steaks that was a surprise. You cooked the food yourself and the meat was absolutely gorgeous. The total bill came to 48 euros this was for 2 steaks, 2 desserts, bottle of water, one beer and a diet coke. The food was 5 star apart from the dessert, could improve.

Bars: drinks in the hotel were expensive, we had one diet coke and an Amstel beer which cost 8 euros. A bottle of wine was 20 euros. Did notice people taking bottles of wine at lunch time and at dinner...

Entertainment: Not so good, very repetitive. The best entertainers were the comedians from Jongleurs, they were really funny especially the Scottish comedian!!
The magician seemed to be on all the time and his act was the same every time you saw him.
The Boardwalk stage which was outside the main restaurant was where most of the acts performed which was fine if the weather was good. The Show Lounge downstairs next to the Interval bar was very warm. Would not rate the entertainment at all.

Kids clubs and sports: sorry cannot comment as no kids and did not use sports.

Pools: all the pools apart from the kids' pool were cold, once in was ok but the initial going into the pool was a shock!!!

Spa: the Spa looked very peaceful and relaxing did try to book a treatment but it books up very quickly so my advise would be to book as soon as possible.

Staff: staff are all very friendly and aim to please. There was a very noticeable management presence around the hotel at all times.

Checking out: We had to check out of the room at 11am, cases were taken to luggage room by porter. We were given a 30 minute slot for the courtesy room which was great.

My overall review on Sensatori was: is a fantastic hotel, we enjoyed our holiday apart from small issues which is understandable for a new hotel only opened 2 weeks. Some holidaymakers are putting on reviews which i totally disagree with especially saying it was more like Butlins, no way. It is a Thomson 5 star property and will improve. We would return in a few years just to see how the hotel is doing.
Fab holiday.

Loved it, but not 5 stars yet...

by TripAdvisor Member JB1Edinburgh

We returned from the Sensatori resort on 22nd May after 2 weeks. First impressions were great, apart from paying for a sea view room and being allocated at the back of the complex (they still insisted that this was a sea view). Many people have complained about the allocations of rooms and apparently an independent reviewer will be assessing what is a sea view room and what is not.

Food is fine but not 5 star. The buffets for lunch, breakfast and dinner are OK but more or less the same every day. The problem at the buffets is that they are very busy and canteen like. The good point is that the wine is served in bottles in fridges and you can help yourself – no limitation, and for local drinks they are good quality and not nasty although the wine was hardly ever chilled. We tried the Greek Taverna and it was bad, found a hair in our food and the quality was poor. The Thai is a lovely setting, it feels like somewhere special, and the quality of the food improved during our stay, but at our last meal there, the service was an absolute shambles and nearly every table ended up with the wrong dishes. The Mexican/Tex Mex is OK (even if not really Mexican) especially at lunch if you don't fancy the busy buffet and want to be table served. We tried the Aroma Stone (with a supplement) and it was lovely, brilliant service, setting and a breath of fresh air to the other restaurants.

It is not a 5 star resort in many aspects. The only things that are 5 stars are the rooms and the location. The resort, service and current clientele are not 5 stars and to me the only way they can improve these aspects are to put the prices up.

To be honest, we have loved our stay there, the resort is lovely and so is Lyttos beach. They do have a lot of work to make it 5 star but they are trying hard and taking guests feedback on board.

As long as your not expecting the experience that Thomson are describing in their marketing brochure, this is a good 4 star resort and nothing more just now.

Romantic getaway - look elsewhere..!!

by TripAdvisor Member WhitesWorldTour

Having just returned from a week at Sensatori - Thomson's newest 5T resort, I feel it only fair to give an honest insight into this location, as I believe that, for those travelling without children, this may not actually be the resort for you.

The inital booking process was relatively straightforward as you would expect, however do be aware of exactly what you are paying for - particularly in regards to room upgrades.

We initally requested, and were verbally assured, that we had been allocated a swim up family suite, however when the booking confirmation arrived this did not turn out to be the case. What we had actually been allocated was a "normal" family suite, costing around £20 a night extra, and not the swim up room that we had agreed. (On querying this, the Thomson staff of course denied all knowledge, however I have a vivid recall of the conversation).

It subsequently transpires that the actual cost for a swim up room is around £54 a night extra, so I am assuming that the person concerned made some sort of error, and then tried to cover her tracks with denial.

Anyway, as there was only myself and my wife travelling, a family suite upgrade seemed to be a reasonably worthwhile, and in fairness, it was - we ended up with a 2 room suite, containing the largest bed I have ever slept in!!

Following the debarcle of the swim up room, I made sure that I double checked that the room had a sea view, which I was assured that it had, although it was not quite what I had expected!

(At this point it is probably worth explaining that the resort comprises of a large rectangular "compound", with only the bottom end overlooking the beach. Consequently, only 1 side has a direct sea view, 2 sides have a sea view only by peering out of the side of the balcony, and the top side has an extremely restricted view. Also, the hotel complex does not sit directly on the beach, there is a road running along the front, seperating the two.)

We ended up on the left hand side of the resort, as you look at the beach. Therefore whilst we did have a sea view, it was only just!!
All things considered though, we still did relatively well, as we subsequently noticed that some of the swim up rooms that faced out to the sides of the resort had a panoramic view of the local mimimarket - complete with neon signs etc - not what you would expect for £54 a night extra!!

The accomodation also held a couple of surprises - only to be expected in a resort in its infacy such as this.

The first incident was when my wife tried out the very fancy looking shower, only to find that instead of the flow of water being contained nicely within the doorless tiled cubicle, it shot out all over the bathroom floor - drenching it in seconds!
Initially quite funny, however we did hear that a lady had fallen in the previous week and fractured her elbow - water and tiled floors don't mix very well...

We also had some issues with the in room keypad which controls the lights - it looks like a laptop computer, and takes a few days to master!

The air con failed on 2 occassions as well, but it was soon fixed, however we, as others, were forced to sleep with the patio doors slightly open, leading to a conservative estimate of around 10 mozzie bites each by morning.

Apart from the above couple of niggles, the room was very nice, and we found much the same opinion on speaking to other folks as well.

Anyway, accomodation duly sorted we proceeded down to our first evening meal, to be met with a very impressive buffet, covering pretty much all tastes, and with planty of free local wine and beer on hand - both of which were quite agreeable.

During the course of the week we ate in the other 3 restuarants that incurred no extra cost. The Red Saffron Taverna and Thai were a little dissappointing, however the Tex-Mex was OK.

For me, I thought the main restuarant was the best, as it was buffet style and of high quality.

I guess it was at this point that we started to become aware of just how busy the hotel is, and, of particular surprise, of just how many children were actually there.

We were aware that it was billed as a 5T family resort, and that obviously entailed children, with which we had no problem at all.

However, I don't think we had ever encountered mass tourism of this type before, and the constant sound of wailing babies and chastising parents takes some getting used to!

Indeed, having spent one breakfast too many listening to baby Britney being told to eat her food repeatedly, and watching "our little Wayne" throwing his sausage all over the buffet, we decided to change breakfast venues to the adult only Taverna.

Sadly, it appeared that this haven of solice had also been invaded, and that, in fact, the concept of "Adult Only" dining does not exist anywhere at Sensatori.

From a family perspective however, I imagine that this great - loads of choice for the kids, excellent quality food in the main restuarant, and plenty of chance to bond with other parents and kids whilst topping up the baby's juice bottle from the drink dispensers.

Sadly though, it also means that a quiet meal for 2 is pretty much out of the question - unless of course you opt for the "dine anywhere" service, where, for a small charge, the staff will set up a quiet, intimate meal away from the hustle and bustle of the main dining areas - free from the background noise of crying children - I would suggest Paris perhaps??

Outside, the swimming pools and sunloungers have been cunningly divided up into family and adult areas, however, the families have even more cunningly decided that these rules don't apply, and once again it becomes the same story.

Thankfully, the middle pool next to the Thai restuarant was closed for draining, so we took the opportunity to found some peace there, in an area where the delicate fragrance of nappies being changed on the adjacent sunbeds could not reach us.
(It turns out that it was closed due to countless Kids cutting their feet on the sharp tiles..!!??)

Generally, the external layout of the hotel is good, although it was a little lacking in grassed areas. It it perhaps just a shame that the hotel has so many guests - this gives way to a feeling of overcrowding.

The village of Analipsi, where the Hotel is located is very underdevoloped, with the Hotel being the largest building by far. This means that the surrounding area largely consists of scrubland, allotments, small Taverna's and the odd mimimarket or two (as seen from the ground floor swim up rooms!!)
There are a couple of local shops selling the normal fags, booze and tripper's trash, but for the shopaholic the best bet is a trip to Heraklion, about a 40 minute bus ride away.

We spent a couple of afternoons in the Sensatori spa, which provided some welcome relaxation and a break from the wailing - although we did find that the spa's own sea water pool had several kids floating in it at one point...

We also embarked on an excursion to the Samoria gorge - a quite lenghty but spectacular walk down a 16km valley - walking boots recommended!

Overall, we had a most enjoyable week of good food, splendid accomodation, relaxing spa treatments and a little sightseeing - with the attentive, pleasant hotel staff adding to the enjoyment.

For families, I would suggest that this is as good a place to come to as any, as it pretty much ticks all of the boxes. However, if you are travelling as a couple and looking for a romantic, quiet getaway, Sensatori probably isn't the place for you.

Disaster - worst hotel ever

by TripAdvisor Member davese

My wife & I have just returned from Sensatori Resort Hotel Crete after 1 week.

Thomson sent us (no kids by the way) a personalised brochure selling us 5 star delux, wish I'd put in staright in the bin.

In short:

Two single beds pushed together instead of 1 king size bed. How does this fit in with the advertised wow factor 5 star & 5 senses.

Rooms - no shower screen seal or bath seals therefore water all over bathroom floor etc. My wife had an accident due to this and the hotel & guest relations were not interested in sorting the problem.

Restaurants - Kids running all over the place at all meal times not what is expected of a supposedly 5 star hotel. Beach wear/shorts not supposed to be allowed at evening dining, well I'm afraid people did wear this atire and did the staff advise them otherwise NO!.

Most served decent though not good food at breakfast & lunch times, however evenings were a disaster.

Red Aroma Taverna - Food inedable after waiting approx. 1 hour for starters & 2 hours for main courses. Don't know were staff are trained however they are lazy and sullen, with chef's appeariing to have no knowledge of food at all.

Tex Mex - Served kiddies type food in the evening, bland & uninspiring, probably because they are catering essentially for a butlins holiday camp type environment.

Stone Grill - better than the other 2, however staff still got orders wrong but were more willing to rectify it without arguing with us or each other.

Thai - What can I say, absolutey poor staff & food. Let's set the scene; We were dining with two others and ate quite poor starters, and were wating for main courses. The table next to us had just arrived and ordered starters. The staff then served our main course to the other table, even when these diners told the staff they hadn't had starters, the staff told them that our mains were indeed their starters. After about 5 minutes or so one of the other diners told the staff again that this wasn't their food. The waitress then after about 10 minutes took the food from their table and tried to serve it to us, how unhygenic is that?. We asked the waitress to make completely new dishes for us, with that she went back to the cooking area, rearranged a few things (we got a great view of this) and then tried to serve it back to us. We walked out of the restaurant straight away & informed hotel management in main reception. The manager to appease us gave us free dining in the Ala Carte restaurant.

Ala Carte All Dente - excellent, however this should be in the brochure price if it's 5 star and not an extra.

Grounds - Lacks health & safety with a near serious accident at lunchtime in the Red Aroma Taverna grounds. A parasol blew over in high winds and just missed hitting a child on the head, although it did knock over the table and caused great anxiety for that family.

There are no barrier rails to stop children from falling over the grounds from the main restaurant grass areas to the tex mex type area below. Watch this space there will be a serious accident shortly.

Gym - There are various type of fitness equipment however of the 2 running machines 1 did not work.

Some swimming pools were closed becasue the pool tiling was damaging peoples feet.

The lazy river was continually being closed for use, I don't know why & I don't think the management did either.

The Thomson Guest Relations did not appear interested at all probably becasue they too were fed up with explaining why 5 Star Delux is really a 2 star failure.

Carry on Abroad

by TripAdvisor Member GeorgeEliot1972

As a Construction Manager the beautifully built Sensatori Hotel on the edge of the seafront at Analipsi is a credit to the tradesmen of Crete although the speed and pressure of construction has meant that it is not yet fully complete and workmen are jumping around rooftops and dodging guests in various areas and some safety issues prevail. In particular handrailing is incomplete over the Red Saffron roof top, and tiling around the pool area is slippery, around the children’s pool is hazardous. The pool appeared dirty on arrival and scuba divers with brushes were seen working to clean which questions the safety of the water so I didn’t use the pool. The internet room is incomplete and the gym equipment had been delivered prior to departure although electrical works are incomplete here. Despite the occasional appearance of men with steps and battery drills the Spa is first class and the girls provide friendly and excellent treatments in a relaxing environment.
The rooms are superb although we were concern that mattress protectors had not been installed so this may be worth a look. We had a pleasant surprise being upgarded with a suite see the photos a picture paints a thousand words. The food improved during our stay no baked beans at breakfast on our first morning and our first evening meal at the Red Saffron was poor but otherwise in the main restaurant meals provided a good variety of food from traditional Greek salads, fish, meat, vegetables, fruits and the customary fries. Sweets and cheeses were available and lovely baklava. Drinks were freely available at meal times, table water, local wine and beer. Prices in the bar are high and guests tend to spend a little extra time at the tables during lunch and dinner. Restaurant staff appeared to become more efficient over the period of our stay but initially appeared disorganized. The staff are working hard but some need to smile a little more and have the 'crack' despite the pressures, after all we are on holiday to enjoy ourselves and don’t want too many miserable faces in the morning, have fun guys. Their are five restaurants to choose from, dress code and seating arrangements need to be improved. We stuck with the Main for dinner and the Red Saffron for lunch. We did try the Tex Mex once, enough said. Adjacent to the Tex Mex is the Entertainments team who are using a softly softly approach no loud hailers here all entertainment details are on your flat screen TV in your room updated daily. I prefer the loud hailer personally but this is not so relaxing for others, agreed but let go a little here. The beach is only across the road and the sea appears to be clean but we did pick up some oil stains on our feet and litter was starting to accumulate which needs to be cleared up daily. The access to the beach at the rear of the Hotel needs to be secured, with stories of child snatching still fresh a card entry system here is necessary if only to keep out stray dogs. Checkout was slow with a number of flights out on our last day and similar coming in. The reception desk could have been manned and controlled better and the bagged is collected from your room but don't rely on that the room is too small for the number of flights and without racking so if you want your bag out of their is a hurry you'll be disappointed. This needs to be bigger or controlled.

On the last day I was looking for Vic Flange (Sid James's character in Carry on Abroad) we had heavy rain and I watched a large lady slip onto her buttocks outside reception. Then in the evening the lights were flickering and Mssr Pepe (the hotel boss) decide to light candles in fancy paper bags down the main Atrium staircase alas a paper bag caught fire and were swiftly removed. I had visions of Head Chef Christos in the basement trying to plug a hole in the wall but the foundations held out and I’m sure the staff here will overcome some teething problems and ensure that they and the Hotel grow to be the success. They deserve it for their hard work and effort.

Outside of the Hotel there is a small number of bars and shops but not a lot to do and fairly simple. Regarding trips out we went to Hersonissus on the local bus which only took 20mins, buses running every hour but be aware of poor quality fake goods on sale here. We also hired a car at the hotel from Romanous who are very friendly and helpful. We drove to Iraklion but it wasn’t great here. Aghios Nikolaus was a better location, a range of shops and some good places to eat out.

Faulty Towers

by TripAdvisor Member muddie

Sensatori Review.

Sorry if this upsets anyone about to go, but it is my truthful account of my holiday 18th May – 29th

First impressions of the Hotel was great it does look very luxurious and cosmetically appealing, with beautiful chandeliers, chesterfield sofas etc in the main reception area.
And again on first impressions our room seemed fabulous, very spacious and the size and comfort of the beds are to die for.
However scratch the surface a bit and look a little closer and unfortunately as the Hotels own Jongulers comedian nick named it, and it most certainly is Faulty Towers.
Has many other people have previously said our shower did leak all over the bathroom floor at first, but I do have to say the were trying to fix this issue whilst we were there by adding plastic seals around the door enclosures which did help a bit.

However after running myself a bath, I suddenly found I couldn’t let the water out. The twisty plug thing didn’t work and I had to try and get my newly manicured nails underneath to pop the plug out. I complained of this several times and only got it fixed after 4 days. Then the Jacuzzi stopped working so we had to report that too which took two days to fix.
Then as I tried to get to sleep in what I’ve got to say is a fabulous bed, however I was constantly disturbed by the tropical gurgling noises coming from the fridge, then on the second night the fridge had an accomplice, ‘the toilet’, it was alive, bubbling up all night, and by morning it had emptied itself and wouldn’t flush, (Just when you need it to).
These sounds were further accompanied by the not so subtle hammering and drilling from workman, which felt like it was coming from the room above. This happened every morning from around 7 am until 4pm for the whole of my stay 11 nights. I repeatedly complained of this both to the reps and the reception but got no joy.
Mind'st you speaking of the Reception staff I very much doubt they understood me as it took ten minutes for them to understand my room no??. Although all the staff were very nice and friendly, there verbal English of just about all them apart from the reps of causes was terrible. Now you don’t expect maids or maintenance staff to speak good English, however you do the Main Reception, Bar, Restaurants etc of an almost fully English Customer based Hotel, this was a serious problem. I asked two different restaurant staff to direct me to the toilet, but unfortunately neither knew, or understood and showed me twice in the complete wrong direction, it took an English couple who over heard to direct me in the end.
The food for the first couple of days in the main buffet restaurant I have to say was quite good, and I was pleasantly surprised after reading some of the previous reviews. However this soon changed about 3 days into the Holiday, I think the new Chef must have left, because it went seriously down hill after that, and tended to consist of the same thing every night, of the previous evenings leftovers, This mainly consisted of very fatty tough meat, and un labelled dishes. But if you are a salad lover I must admit the choice there was quite good. However the so called Quality Wine we were supposed to get was the cheapest of the cheap called LATO, this was like vinegar. I found it in the local supermarkets and it was only 2 Euro by far the cheapest, baring in mind most over moderate/average wines were over 6 euro a bottle this was bad. I personally found this undrinkable. But due to the extortionate bar prices a lot of people were just walking out of the restaurant with their wine. Unfortunately though my In-Laws witnessed a very embarrassing incident where a couple were caught taking the wine out of the restaurant and severely cautioned in front of everyone, and made to feel like thieves, there room nos taken and charged 15 euros a bottle. How Awful.
We tried the thai restaurant which, was impressive to look at, and they did have a Chinese chef there so I was hopeful, and the starters were lovely, but unfortunately the main meal was exactly the same size as the starter in a soup bowl and tasted exactly the same as everyone else’s dish chose what you ordered, very bland and you needed to eat it with a spoon as just consisted of a oily watery sauce, I don’t think they have heard of coconut milk in a green curry.
The Tex Mex was a little tastier and the staff could actually speak English a little better, although you never quite get what you’re expecting, ie Chicken Fajitas consisted of chicken wings on a bed of rice? You’re best having the Steak, but I would ask for your meat med/rare, as it gets over cooked a little.
The red saffron was terrible.
The Entertainment was OK, if you’d paid to go to a 3-4 star Hotel, but no where near the West End Style Shows I was expecting. The best shows in my opinion were the adult only Jongulers comedians and the Rock Show. They were starting to try with the kids entertainment as it was the kids holidays, however my son is only 3 yrs old, and it was on a little late 8.30 and was really aimed at older children.
The swimming Pools have heated up nicely and were lovely, especially the top one, but they are now trying to ban children from this one as we left. But due to it being the only one that’s not caused any one to cut their feet and having a shallow end, people are insisting on taking their children into it. They did try and put in place some kind of rules re sun beds and pool usage in the last few days before we left, as during the school holiday week when the Hotel was at its fullest beds were taken at 7.30am. and everyone was just doing as they liked.
But it was all a little too late as people had got into a routine, and were reluctant to change, and due to the Hotel being so DISORGANISED in just about every field no one showed them any respect in return.
The luxurious gardens/flowers consisted of dead brown twigs, which they were trying to replace before we left.
The kids club which started off being for just 45 mins has changed to 1 hour although still not long enough if you want to use the SPA. However when I approached one of the kids team about this she said it isn’t a KIDS CLUB it is a ‘Sensatori Experience for the children’ and that everyone was happy with 45 mins. However my child went once and screamed the place down and refused to go again!
The surrounding village, if you can call it that, is very run down, and the beach I wouldn’t even bother with, it is quite dark sharp shingle sand mixed with litter, and rock boulders in the shallow part of the sea, unsuitable for children.

However getting to the real serious issues of this Hotel now is the Health and Safety aspect, I seriously can not believe how this has been passed by an English Company it is appalling.

• If you have pushchairs or are disabled you are in for a hard time, there are extremely slippy steps and slopes for you to contend with, with hardly any safety banisters etc. You have to do a bit of an obstacle coarse to get anywhere. Our lift to our room broke down for two days so we had to carry our pushchair up two flight s of steps several times a day. I saw several people including the staff with ankle straps on.
• Ladies don’t even bother taking your high heels you’ll be to afraid to where them trust me.
• The barrier fencing around where the outdoor children’s entertainment and dancing fountains is hadn’t been completed whilst we were there and where all the children were playing on the grass followed a 20ft drop on to hard tiled floors below, in fact here were quite a few drops like that around the place which as a parent of a toddler had my heart in my mouth a few times.
• The Tree House is an accident waiting to happen. It is about 20ft high and very steep. Where they climb up the rock wall it is almost vertical with no barrier on the top so if they get excited running around up there, there is nothing to stop them falling off. The slide is like a death slide I went down it with my child (thank god I did), and put my hand out to stop myself because it was so fast, I ended up severely burning it, and spent the rest of the day with my hand in an ice bucket. Please be careful if your children use this. I did point this out to the staff but they just poo pooed it (obviously had no children of their own) and moved a small A5 size sign which was hidden around the back stating it was at your own risk and for over 5’s to the front.
• Lots of children cut their feet again on the shabby workmanship of the pool floors, which was drained again, so please take pool shoes.
• Down all the corridors to your rooms are open wires hanging out obviously waiting for wall lights.
• The lifts are all numbered wrong so you’re not too sure what floor to get out of.
• The Fruit spray ground is surrounded by a mud bath, which everyone is slipping on so beware. Again bad design very sharp hard slippy surface for children to be playing on, and if they’d built the surrounding wall a little higher around it, it may have helped keep some of the water in.

It is such a shame the architect of this Hotel didn’t just have a little more thought to Health & Safety and access rather than just cosmetic design.
That Thomson didn’t admit that this Hotel is not finished or safe, and should have given themselves more time to complete and iron out the issues before opening to paying customers, as it is all so close but yet so far in my opinion at the moment, and definitely not a 5 star as yet. I will be taking my concerns up with Thomson and have obtained photographic evidence of all the issues.

Faulty Towers

by TripAdvisor Member muddie

Sensatori Review.

The red saffron was terrible.

Hazardous to health!

by TripAdvisor Member pistolar

As other visiters have written, the hotel decor and finish are good, the rooms, pools and food are not. We had three nights in our first room, the first two with broken air conditioning, along with the rest of that block of rooms. And we were not the only family to leave the patio doors ajar to let some cool night air in to be bitten alive in the night. Along with loose electrical flex's on the floor behind a panel in the living area my daughter my 1 yr. old daughter nearly put in her mouth before i caught her (with an open terminal block on, who knows if it was live), to a failing lift meant two flights of stairs with a double buggy to and from the room was more than my injured back cauld take. The room we were moved to was fantastic, but still had problems. Three tv's that you couldn't use as there were no remotes, bathroom extractors that blew instead of sucked so our room filled with other peoples bathroom steam and other nice smells, along with luxury jacuzzi baths that had been thrown in and wobbled on their legs when you got in.
The main restaurant was nice to be fair, but manic if you went at peak time, but the tai restaurant was poor, and the tex mex brought six out of seven of us down with sickness and diarrhoea.
If the food didn't get you the tiles in either the bathrooms or around the pool areas will. How can people spend the obvious millions on building a place like this, and put down ice rink tiles everywhere. I was told that a woman had broke her elbow within a week or so of it opening due to the tiles in her bathroom.
I dont know who you would recommend this place to. It is child unfriendly with stairs everywhere and sharp edges of tile in the play water area, but has been billed as a family resort so is full of kids who obviously upset couples young or old who want a quiet holiday. Would we go back? What do you think.

beautiful to look at not at all finished and safe!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member extention

We stayed at the above said resort from the 1st May (opening day) till 11th May 2008. This Hotel is a massive accident waiting to happen!

I will mention all the things as already mentioned by other guests, such as very wet slippy tiles all over the resort, especially on the pool side, surely non slip tiles would be appropriate wouldnt they! Razer sharpe tiles in pools children cutting feet.

Food resonable but became a Butlins affair especially in main restaurant.

Low rise walls all over the resort, just great for littlies to think are fun but they then end up on roofs! Health and safety issues!

Entertainment very poor only on for 45 mins - hour at a time in 2 different venues no large entertainment lounge to enjoy a full evening of entertainment.

Kids club 45 min a session by the time you have dropped them off and got a drink sat down put sun lotion on and got your book ready 20 mins gone so just 25 mins left of me time, rubbish!.

Probably one of the most alarming things of all however was the emergency lighting system or lack of it. One evening sat in main restaurant all lights went out on the complex - pitch black is an understatement! It took 3-4 mins for lights to come back on- big apologies from management "oh sorry forgot to plug generator in for emergency lighting but done now!" 5 mins later it happened again! again no lights until 3 mins later we tried to tackle the management about emergency exit lighting etc but got no where lots of people were furious and firing quesitons and angry remarks at the management but got no where- what if there had been a fire!

To be honest on arrival you certainly get a feeling of Great, this is beautiful, the rooms are very luxurious, state of the art, flat screen TVs, jacuzzi baths and showers, but then comes the problems which are just endless. This resort was rushed we were told it only took 13 months from ground to completed!

This may be classed as a family resort but it certainly does not provide what I would call a family friendly feeling.

Thompson are doing themselves no favours by continuing to allow guests to stay at the resort , which is not completed fully and has a continually list of problems this will not stop unless guests are stopped from going, and the problems resolved.

Brilliant!!!

by TripAdvisor Member lizz61

I stayed at this resort from 1 May to 8 May 2008! i thought that this was the best hotel/resort that we have ever stayed in...we nearly always stay 5* and i think that this lived up to it!!

For the whole of my stay there, I had no problems whatsoever and talking to other people that were there, they had complaints...everyone seems to be complaining about something or another just to try and get a freebee from the management...I have none!!

I loved everything about the hotel. We had a swim-up room which was absolutely gorgeous and the layout of the rooms were great. The bed was like nothing i have ever seen before...so much room!! We had flat screen tv's - 2!! and a living room, the decking which leads to the swim-up pool was great, we got 2 sunbeds and a table and 4 chairs.

The bathroom was exquisite, i have never been in such a nice bathroom, the whirlpool bath was amazing..would advise that you do not put too many bubbles in the bath...could be potentially disastrous!!ha the shower was equally amazing although it did leak onto the floor but that can easily be sorted by laying a towel down...don't understand why people moaned about this...it happens!!
no complaints what so ever about the room!!!

We were on the bottom floor (obviously!!) and didn't experience the problems that others had with regards to steep stairs and not enough safe access.

If anyone is going or thinking of going, get a swim up room!!

I thought that the layout of the hotel was fantastic and it was very posh. When we arrived we were given free drinks and the restaurant was kept open for us. We had no problems in finding our room as we were given a map (and a personal guide).

I think that the only thing that i would suggest is that it should be made clearer that the hotel is a cash free environment...didn't get told this until we were on the bus on the way to the resort...did end up with quite a big bill and i would suggest to anyone that they often check what there's has totalled too every other night or so!!

The restaurants were lovely, the main restaurant catered for everyone, there was a lot of variety. The Al Dente was the nicest food ever!!! I had the risotto which was lovely and my friend had beef which he still hasn't stopped talking about. Although it is very pricey, i would definately say it is worth it!!

We also ate at the Thai and this was very nice also!! I just think that all the places to eat were very nice.

I do have to admit that the resort is well out of the way of places and we didn't venture out that much.

The beach was very nice, we hired a pedalo and had great fun out in the sea. The sand was clean and hardly any rocks...although there was a mini reef in the sea and did get attacked by it, scraped my leg but we were advised of this by the sea attendant bloke so i only have myself to blame for that!!

Erm..what else, The pools were lovely albeit very cold but if the weather is hot, the coldness seems like a very nice idea!! The heated pool in the centre was lush and was full of kids!!

THE SPA!!! oh my god the Spa, no-one can complain about this, the service was amazing and they looked after you well. They were very experienced and knew what they were doing. after the treatment, they took me to a relaxation room and got given some nice tea and was left to relax and then leave when i was ready...although the paper pants i had to wear left nothing to the imagination!ha Keep your own on!!

The entertainment was good too, not the usualy crappy ones you get but they could actually sing, dance and act...it amazed me!! jonguleurs had to be one of the best, i have not laughed as much as i did that night...DO NOT SIT AT THE FRONT!! unless you do not mind being picked on!

There is also a nightclub which was enjoyable, they played a wide variety of music and we danced the night away!

All in all, this was the best holiday i have been on recently and i would love to go back...also to the one in Mexico!!!!!!!!

Comments