Kolymbia, Kolimbia, Greece
Orbitz.com

More about Holiday Village Rhodes

Loads of potential ... but not there yet.

by TripAdvisor Member JACKYLEESAM1

Arrival and transfer to the hotel was smooth and efficient - you are taken to one of the two receptions: the “VIP / Deluxe” or the “active side.” The First Choice rep met everyone with envelopes containing a key and a brief summary of what is and isn’t included in your package. Our flight came in late (after 12:30 pm); there was a little bit of food still left out at the buffet so it was good to be able to get something. No maps of the village though and we were left to our own devices to find our room in the dark. Thank goodness it was fairly well marked.

The resort is separated by a city street - not sure why; it would have made a lot more sense to join the two sides. It has a tunnel connecting the two resorts; it is compact and easy to get round. The beach is a short walk but is a rocky beach. There are little shops all within a block of the resort and the further you go the cheaper it is. The shop in the hotel is a good one and has all the usual things you might need or desire while on a sun holiday. For those who like the ko’s they have all sorts of LV, Chanel, D&G in all the shops.

The kids clubs and sports academies are all located centrally for both resorts to use. The playground is a rubber covered surface; it is situated beside the pool for lessons and Kids club use.

The service is good but not a 5* on the “active side.” I suspect the “VIP” is the way to go. However, this is a new resort and in my opinion is just going through some growing pains that will be sorted out quickly. The wait staff were friendly and did their best to accommodate and keep up with the demands of travelers. Food was ok; not a great selection but was tasty and always a variety of choices even for the picky eater. In the morning: loads of bacon, eggs, pancakes, sandwich fixings, fresh fruit, cereals etc. Lunch had a delish salad bar and lots of hot food to choose from… the “trattoria” had premade take-away sandwiches, fries, hotdogs, salads and gyros available. Dinner was similar, lots of choice of veg, salads, pastas, and meats. Kids meals were a bit repetitive: chips and nuggets, sausages… but the self serve ice cream was always yummy for the kids.

The rooms are lovely and boutique style. The rooms over the lobby and restaurant are near the entertainment stage so if you are looking for a quiet room avoid those for sure; they begin with the number 1 (i.e. 1001 etc.). We had a family room in the active section near the ropes and water slides. It was lovely and had a kettle, hair dryer, fridge (no freezer) and safe (non-refundable 20 euros payable to activate) - no iron though so roll your clothes to reduce wrinkles! There were no toiletries which one would expect at a 5* however they are new and perhaps not prepared yet? But I was disappointed in that. They ask you not to flush tp which was also a bit… weird but manageable.

Beach towels require a 10 euro refundable deposit. If you lose one however they will cost you 30 euros. This is there way of trying to dissuade you from leaving your towel on a sun chair all day.

The cleaning staff work long hours and did the best with a full resort… but not what I’d have expected. Beds were made, garbage was emptied, but we were there a week and the sheets were never changed, nor were towels neatly put away. They were switched but we never walked back into a “finished” room… throw pillows were never put back on the beds etc. just little stuff, but what I expect of a 5*.

The evening entertainment was almost the same every night; different themes but the kids show goes on till after 9pm…and they are like the Muppets… so good for really little ones. The tweens were all hanging out in the sports bar playing ping pong and pool. Shows run just past 11pm so it is loud if your room is within earshot of the stage.

The entertainment staff were amazing and worked tirelessly. Cameron is amazing and impressed us by remembering our names and everyone else’s for that matter. Daily quiz held at 1pm - a great way to enjoy your lunch. They offer an afternoon and evening movie down the stairs from the lobby for kids. Upstairs are the internet computers (2).

The Grill steakhouse was amazing! Food was 5* for sure - well presented and worth a try despite the cost if you are not VIP / Deluxe. But it is fairly close to the stage so the ambience is lost with the evening show. The club house is a step up from the regular buffet but nicer and smaller. The bar on the VIP side looked very nice!

Ok, for some real stuff... Again bear in mind the hotel has only been open for 2 weeks...
- They are definitely short sun beds at the moment. There were only 100 around the “active area pools” so we had to go out very early to get one. We were told this was being fixed.
- The 3 larger water slides are only available to 12+ but were fun; just think it is important to know that.
- There were a very few inner tubes available for the lazy river (they kept popping); a new bunch was delivered while we were leaving so seems to be a small glitch.
- The ropes are amazing and the kids loved them. They are only available at 4:30.
- The spa is partially open for business and only opened this past Friday.
- The gym is not complete either. There are walking machines, steps, bikes, pulley system but no free weights as of when we left Saturday.
- The rooms have no toiletries and no hotel information (i.e. no numbers to call for housekeeping, front desk, etc). In my opinion this too will be rectified but is not available at this time.
- The daily forecast is available at the first choice desk in the main lobby.
- The Deluxe rooms had PS3’s but no games available to use or rent (yet).
- The swim up rooms looked amazing and some had spa seats but the water was cool in the pools.
- The homes with private pools were pretty from what we could see and had beautiful stylish furniture outside. Not all were open when we were there.
- The chapel is pretty but again not finished so if you are planning a renewal or wedding… it is not ready yet.
- The only place where you can withdraw money is at an ATM a short distance away from the hotel. But it is the ONLY ATM for everyone in Kolymbia so bring cash to be safe. The front desk can exchange travelers’ checks for you though.

Overall, I think it is a lovely resort if you have children, and they have lots to keep you busy, but if you as a parent or holidayer want some quiet then upgrade your room. It is noisy in the “active section” and the sun beds are close together. Again if you want more privacy but still want all the activities of the village, I suggest you stay in the VIP-Deluxe sections. I would like to go back in a year and I think by then it will have worked out the small hiccups, and turn into a real gem. I do think it is overpriced at this point as it is not a 5* but more like a 3* in the body of a 5* and should be advertised as such. Happy holidaying! Will post some pictures.

for Children not Couples

by TripAdvisor Member nan55

We booked the Royal Deluxe swim up room as a treat and of course paid extra for it. We arrived just after lunch on the Wednesday, it took until the Friday evening before we could get into our room with out going to Reception to get them to let us in. We where unpacking when a Man wandered in with two pictures saw we had some and wandered out, then a Man arrived to fix a window, then 4 more Men arrived and left when they saw us in the room. After 3 days two gowns appeared (couple upstairs didn't get gowns but they had a kettle delivered), 5 days and a chair bed appeared, loverly big dressing table and mirror but no stool to sit down on. Outside all the rooms there where jacuzzi's but none of them worked, nor did the other things in the pool and there where no toilets around the deluxe pool or the Relax pool. There was no where around the Deluxe pool to get a drink or a snack, this was the dearest area and yet had the least facilities. One day we went to the Relax area because you could at least get a drink, but beds where in short supply.You could hear the generator in the Car Park from our room and it was quite intrusive. The British Reps did not seem to know the Village very well, we where told to go to the Brasserie for our lunch, but it did not open lunch times. We ate in the Brasserie breakfast and evening meal the staff where great, but the food not much of a choice but what we had was good. Lunch time we went across to the main area and the food was fine as where the staff. The entertainment was very poor, we saw Dr and the Medics they where good but only on for 30 minutes, the rest of the entertainment in the main area was awful. We went to the Adult only bar and the staff there where very good, more entertainment there would be good. This is definately not a 5 star Hotel, maybe when it is finished and everything is working it will inprove, but to sell it as a five star and open areas before they where finished I think has meant they have shot them selves in the foot as the reviews show. Very disapointing for an Atlantica Hote. If you do go Lindos and the old Town Rhodes are well worth a visit.
Having said all the negatives the facilities for Children seem very good, and the staff looking after the Children seem to work very hard. The rooms are nice and the bathroom had a loverly big shower (the shower not cleaned though while we where there}, the beds on the terrace where good. The staff where friendly and efficent and nothing was too much trouble. Based on our visit I would not reccommend it to a couple a family with young childre maybe.

Not worth the money

by TripAdvisor Member quiffderbyshire

Never seen 5* complaint desk always busy, loads of workmen with no id and locals coming in and out there's no security at all and I think it won't change until a kid goes missing .staff and the reps I've no problems with they are great.don't bother with the steak house a total rip off . Everything has been rushed to open on time which shows .on our last day they shut the highropes due to health and saftey.Iam just glad to be going home which is a first for me .

Not 5 star but a great time had.

by TripAdvisor Member stejoliv032

Listen, this is not a 5 star hotel....it is a 5 'sun' rating hotel - there is a difference. We stayed in the deluxe area and thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff work their socks off to give everyone a great holiday. Ok the food is not going to win any Michelin stars, but we couldn't fault it. A couple of other so called 'reviewers' on here have taken it upon themselves to slam every minor detail, and this astounds me. This is a holiday village bult with families in mind, so I find it remarkable that some people seem to be surprised to find the place teeming with kids. I suggest these people research a bit more before booking their next holiday.
The rooms are excellent. Yes there are a few 'teething' problems but nothing that's going to spoil your stay.
The food is great, although a little repetative after 2 weeks. I have to admit that the Steak House at the village was rather dissapointing, but not offensive. This is not free however.
The pools are brilliant and enough choice to please everyone.
The night-time entertainment is just as you'd expect really, but still enjoyable.
There is loads for the kids to do, no matter what ages they are.
If you go here with the intention of having a great time, then thats exactly what you will have. And as for there being a lot of 'Northerners' here, yes there is.......and all of them having a great time. I have to say a huge thank you to all the reps, staff and entertainers who worked non-stop and made our holiday pretty special. If you're reading this and getting ready to go to the HV, have a great time!!

Not five star (or five sun) but we had a good time.

by TripAdvisor Member Snic

My husband, 9 month old baby and I spent 7 nights at The Holiday Village Rhodes a week after it opened. We were expecting a few teething problems so went there with an open mind. We stayed in the Royal Deluxe area in a family swim up room (4205). To enter the room you have to flash your key card in front of the sensor under the handle which took us a while to work out! The room itself was very nice, clean and spacious however this room got absolutely no sun ALL DAY (which we were annoyed about as I needed to stay outside the room while my baby had two naps a day). We asked to move rooms and the reservation Manager said no as they were fully booked. This was a complete fabrication as over half of the rooms were not occupied throughout the whole of our stay. I would recommend staying in building 3,4 and 5 for the sun. The bed was very comfy and there was a small empty fridge in the room and a dispenser with dove creme wash in the bathroom. We had no bathrobes but I think these were meant to be included.

Check in was late (10.30pm) so no welcome drinks and we discovered there was no cot in the room. It took about 1.5 hours for us to get a travel cot which was slightly frustrating as our 9 month old baby was exhausted. The reception staff in the Royal Deluxe clubhouse were good however took a long time (if at all) to respond to problems. The one exception to this was Tammy who was an absolute star throughout our stay. The adult only bar in the clubhouse was very quiet and therefore lacked atmosphere but the bar staff were very sweet.

The food was great in both the main buffet, Italian and at breakfast in the Royal Clubhouse. Food was varied and fresh both at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Dinner in the clubhouse was not that good as there was a limited choice and waiter service. The staff in the restaurants were brilliant, always smiling and ready to help. Also there were plenty of highchairs and a microwave in the main restaurant to heat up baby food. Self service drinks was handy and the beer (Vap) was actually really nice.

We put our baby in the creche for two 90 mins sessions a day/ 2 evening sessions (pre booked) and I can't praise the staff enough. Thanks to Kayleigh, Kirsty, Charlotte, Claudine and Christie our baby absolutely loved it and did lots of things including painting, drawing reading, playing etc. The Creche is well equipt and I had no hesitation leaving my baby there (even though this was the first time I had left her).

We didn't use the water park unfortunately but it looked good. The entertainment was average (and the i5live things were very repetitive) with the exception of Dr and The Medics who were fab. We couldn't understand why there was a really rubbish comedian on for an hour before the band and they didn't start their set until 11pm when most people had gone to bed!

The pools were very nice and we were lucky that in the RD area the sunbeds were not 'saved' by anyone and were readily available. This was not the case for the Activity area where I noticed the towels went down early. I only visited the Relax pool on a couple of occasions but this also seemed good and had a big pool bar in the centre. You have to pay a €10 deposit for each towel and are allowed to swap them 3 times in a week (your towel card will get stamped). These can be picked up from the little shop under the main reception. There are a few very nice bed/sofas dotted around the grassy areas which are very comfortable but I can imagine will be snapped up if there were a few more guests.

If you walk out of the resort there are a couple of nice coves to swim and explore but the beach is full of shingles and stones and it is impossible to walk bare foot. The sea is crystal clear and not too cold. About 15 min walk will take you to lots of shops and bars. There is also a pharmacy and George (spoke English) was extremely helpful when my husband had an ear infection.

All in all for the price we paid we had a good time but I am not sure if we would return. They seemed to have rushed to get things ready and things like broken tiles in the pool, shower not working properly and other problems will be fixed over time.

A few minor hic-up's!

by TripAdvisor Member steph002

We had a great week at the holiday villiage.The place was spotless.The food was very good for mass catering.There was something for everyone(you got the moaner's...if you want english go to blackpool!!).The drinks quality was very good.
We stayed in a swim up room,unfortunatley we were one of the few without sunbed's,so we did'nt use it, but our son loved it.We had a large pool,but there were a few that had nothing more than a paddling pool off theirs! We were on the relax side,just by the generator!!You soon get used to the noise...
.The rep's worked really hard to provide good entertainment,there was lot's going on if you wanted it.The childrens club's were very well run,there was alway's alot of laughter coming from the kid's club house.The water park had a young childrens area with a lazy river with inflatable rings,and slow tubular slide.There were three big slides but the age restriction was 12 which we thought was set a bit too high.Our son is nearly 9 and he would have loved to go on them.
The staff worked really hard and were very friendly.
Now the hic up's!!We didn'nt have any pillows,I have already mentioned sunbed's.There were no wastepaper bin's in the rooms.We had no electric in the sockets for a couple of day's,and we had no coathangers.I kept reporting it to the reception,they made the right noises but nothing got resolved.If you have a problem ,go to the first choice reps.There were not enough sunbeds round the pool areas,and unless you were part of the early morning towel brigade ( before 7.30am) you have no chance of a bed.
We expected a few snags with it being a brand new facility.I am sure in a month or two it will be running like clockwork.I think the delux area is 5 star,as for the rest of the hotel we thouht it a good 4 star.Dont let the bad reports put you off,go with the right attitde and you will have a fab time.
Just a note,we took 100 euro's,and our bank card with us.I would strongly advise you take more cash.There is 1 cash machine 15 min's walk away from the hotel,it was permenantly out of order!!

no way is this 5 suns or 5 star! at mo its no more than 3 star

by TripAdvisor Member Kiki_Crunchie

Just back from 2 weeks stay in the HV Rhodes and unfortunately i have to say i wont be going again. Before i start i have to say i always try and be fair when i write my reviews and give credit when it is due so readers get a good overview! I have lived and worked in Greece for over 7 years in the past so speak their language and am well aware of their customs.

I think if they sort out all the teething problems, the electric and the customer service at management/reception level it will be nice if and only if you like holidaying with hundreds of kids!!! The HV in Sharm is much better.

When we arrived they didnt even have us on the list for transfers but fortunately they managed to get us on the bus then when we got to the resort they dropped us off at the wrong reception as we had paid for an upgrade to swim up room in the relax area and this has its own reception area. They then had to walk us over to the other side of the resort which is either across a road or under a subway type tunnel, which we wernt aware of but didnt matter too much as we didnt have kids with us. Check in was reasonable and they then took us to our room which when we arrived seemed really nice. On the next day we had to ask to move because they had put us in room 5506 and it seemed to be the general meeting place for the builders/maintenance staff on our patio even thou i was laying on a sun bed at the time.

Then moved to 5504 after some messing about by Nikos who told us he wasnt sure we could move as they were full even thou we were the only ones in that block at all for the 1st week. Room 5504 had plenty of room for two but i think maybe a little cramped if you had 4 in there which it caters for. Lovely bathroom with two showers, one stand alone and one over the bath, soap in a dispenser in one but not the other, hairdryer fitted in there too. Big wardrobe but only 8 hangers so may need to take some more. Bed big and comfortable and had some british channels to include bbc news and sky sports on the tele. Air con and small fridge in room too plus safe. Small patio with table and chairs on plus own sunbeds if your one of the lucky ones.

Our swim up room are supposed to have Spa bubbles on the steps leading into the pool but this only worked for the last two days we were there! Also loads and loads of problems with the door which kept rejecting the key card which means you then have to walk back to reception which from room is about 5 mins and after 4 journeys in one day gets extremely annoying. Then there was the electric cuts which happended 3-4 times as they are on a generator and it keeps packing up. Also one night an alarm was going of in one of the rooms by us for hrs from 8pm till 1.30 am and although we reported it they didnt do anythng for 5 hrs and after complaining 4 times and asking them to sort it.

Our smoke alarm in our room didnt look like it was fixed properly and had no cover on it and although we were promised this would be sorted on the 2nd day, 14 days later it was still the same and worried us a lot, no one else had reported the alarm going off which makes me wonder if it is connected up at all like we were informed because surely they would of seen it on the main system???

Spa looks nice but i didnt have treatments as the price list is v v expensive more than back home in a good quality hotel or spa.

The food in the buffet was good not 5 star/5 suns but nice plenty of choice some bizzare things but ok a few nice greek dishes which is always nice to try but also english stuff too for the less adventurous. However on our second week the Hotel was a lot busier and it became a free for all at the restaurant as it just isnt big enough to cope and people were having to queue for both tables and food. Things werent being replenished enough, tables were left with loads of plates etc on. I will say the staff were fab and work very very hard to try and be helpful but there just isnt enough space or staff.

On our last night and after the problems of the buffet restaurant we decided to pay to eat in the a la carte for one night. All i can say is dont bother! our mains were brought before we had been given our soup and when my main (lamb) did arrive it was as hard as anything and i couldnt cut it with my knife at all. The pasta also was dry and hard and to me looked like it had been left under the heat lamps too long. Drinks arrived with no ice in and litterally were slapped on our table and generally the service was poor due to understaffing! The poor staff did try but just couldnt cope. Didnt have pudding as i was so disapointed in the whole thing we left.

They charge 70 Euros for a late check out room which is more expensive than anywhere we have stayed to include mexico etc. We booked a half hr slot to have a shower and when we went to reception we found they had double booked us!!!!!! We also had to wait over 2 hrs for our bags to be collected after which my husband decided to just do it himself as we were fed up of waiting.

To top it off when we were due to leave we were told we wernt on the list and there wasnt space on the bus so had to get a taxi to the airport and pay ourselvs although i will say Nikki did offer to try and sort but by then we had enough so just left.

The whole experience was disapointing and did spoil our hols even thou we tryed to laugh it off, i have to say and one of the reasons we went there was we knew Atlantica were running the hotel and they have an excellent reputation but from what i saw i wont be going to any of there chain.

Throughout the whole resort most staff are helpful especially the waiters big thanks to Georgia in the pool bar who works like crazy and is lovely with it too , but there are not enough of them and this makes things disapointing and affects the service. Generally the resort was not ready with loads of workman around and again this does affect you, considering when we checked before we left and were told it was 100 % ready its a joke. The pool was often left uncleaned and room service was a little hit and miss. There was an issue in the 2nd week with sun beds and people were laying towels down from about 6am!!!!! sorry i dont go on hols for that!!!! Also i have to say i couldnt believe just how many kids were in the relax area, although i know this is a family resort we booked the so called relaxed area so we could just chill but it was full of noisy people who showed little concern for others to include coming back late and making lots of noise and hogging beds all day but not using them!!! not looking after their kids and just letting them run around and bother others.

On a plus Rhodes was lovely and make sure you catch the public bus which costs 3 euros each way to Rhodes old town which is lovely, get off at the bus station and also same for Lindos. The tours are expensive and are virtually the same as the public bus we caught the boat back from Lindos to Rhodes town which cost 10 euros each and you stop off for a quick swim too if you want so take your bathers with you. The sea is crystal and not to cold.

i wont be going again and also wont be recommending it.

A fab holiday, hotel great, staff amazing! Going again next year...

by TripAdvisor Member 123lindsayb

We have just got back from here and had a thoroughly enjoyable time. Kids clubs were great. Had 4 different activities going on between 10am and 6pm and then 2 evening sessions, all sessions lasting an hour and a half. These were fabulous, our children raved about them all. Entertainment just as good. Staff were amazing. We had few teething problems with our room key fob not working a few times and sometimes lengthy waits in the delux restaurant as there were not enough staff. However, all the staff more than made up for this. Nikos was great - sorted everything out for us in no time & was keen to ask what we thought and just make sure we had everything we needed and a great time. Had a problem 2 nights with electric and some bright sparks kept turning off the generator. However, on our last day they were connecting up to the main electric so should be rid of the generators soon enough. First 2 days there we had bit of brickdust in the room but was soon cleaned up. Only other problem we had was with mosquitoes which was nothing to do with the hotel itself. We enjoyed it so much are going again next year. All in all a fab holiday.

very very disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member birchhillDorset

We booked this holiday back in January and were looking forward to a relaxing and entertaining time away and assumed because we paid for a 5 star holiday and at a 5 star price that this was what we would get. Having been concerend at early reviews and comments i phoned First Choice a couple of weeks before we left to ascertain that the hotel was indeed ready and that everything was under control. I was advised that this was the case.
There were loads of problems - the original room we were allocated was a disabled room with a shower at waist level and no means of standing under it - my husband is 6ft 3- so this was rather a problem. It was also noisy and the duvet was stained on arrival. The Food was absolutely diabolical for the first few days - chips for breakfast - everything swiiming in grease- supposedly vegetarian dishes containing meat and it was clear that the restaurant was not big enough nor staffed appropriately.

I paid to upgrade our room - this was a saga in itself as it took 2 days to organise with conflicting stories from the reps - only being sorted finally by Nicky (First Choice rep) who was efficient. We finally got into this new room at 7.15 at night having hung around all day being told it would be ready at 10.00, then 12.00, then 2.00 then 5.00. I paid for a swim up room upgrade which cost an extra £75 per night and whilst this room was a substantial improvement on the previous room it was not worth this sum of money - the door wouldn't lock the first evening which necessitated a 45 minute wait for it to be fixed and my daughter and husband eating their dinner without me.
There were not enough sunbeds and you had to get up at 6.00 to "reserve " one in order to use one - this is the first time that i have had to sink to this action in a long time on holidays abroad. My daughter and several other children we met all cut their toes on the bottom of the pools - these had obviously not been finished correctly in the haste to open the resort. The jacuzzi with the room didnt work - when we pressed the button the one next door came on - once we realised this i assumed that if we pressed theirs then ours might - no such luck. The entertainment was very variable - this is the first time that Bingo has been a main attraction on a holiday in supposedly a five star resort - and my husband and i retreated to any quiet area that we could find for our after dinner drinks whilst still keeping an eye on our daughter. There were some good bits - the high ropes was good although difficult to get on because of the volume of people wanting to do it and the limited times it was available. The food did improve over the week we were there but it was still not up to standard. On several occasions people were taking photos of the food in the self service buffet - so that they could use then in their complaint. The iFive staff were good with the children and my daughter enjoyed her time with them. There was a very good Beatles tribute act one night and a magician who was funny and entertaining. The comedian on the Thursday night was rude and crude - i am not known for being a prude but felt it was inappropriate in front of children and quite frankly not funny.
We have been on several 5 star holidays and a similar holiday - for half the price to Club Med in the past which were all far superior to this one. If First Choice had been up front about some of the problems and the fact that the standards might not be quite right then perhaps my expectations might have been different. I shall be writing to First Choice to complain - i am not a serial complainer this will only be the 3rd complaint letter that i have written - and when we were on the return coach journey all the rest of the guests were preparing to do the same.

Lovely, new and very friendly.

by TripAdvisor Member lilyrich

Stayed in Relax swim-up room with hubby and daughter. Beautiful brand new hotel. Rooms lovely. Beds very comfy. Bathrooms spacious with separate bath and shower.
Plenty of pools. A ll staff very friendly and very helpful. Food lovely especially the soups and salads. Lots of olives and feta. All meat dishes were perfectly cooked and moist ( not overcooked and dry like a lot of hotels). Bar list very good. Hubby happy with the local beer. Amazon Cocktails were amazing. Self service drinks area for all the basics to save queueing incl. water, fizzy drinks, wines, fruit juices, beer, tea and coffee. Entertainment staff very good. Fantastic place for families.

Comments