Marmari, Island of Evia, Marmari, 340 13, Greece

Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

The Gem of Marmari!

We just returned from Evia Hotel where we spent 2 wonderful nights. As a Guide writer I had to visit Marmari for some photos and had to choose from a list of hotels on the net. I read both the positive and negative comments and seeing how impressive the building was I decided to book here. My curiosity was to check on people who posted negative comments as I know of times that similar comments just want to harm the business or come from people whose demands are out of this world. The majority of times they are anonymous too. It happens that our house is just an hour and thirty minutes from the resort but we wanted to have a break and I thought that if the hotel was not what we expected we could leave. It was actually like testing on its bad comments.

It is a new hotel opened 2 years ago, but the owners are professionals and have a long experience in the business as they have one or two other hotels in the area.

The outer (Karystou) stone structure makes it impressive. The name of the stone comes from the nearby village of Karystos, and the stones come from this area and very popular in the whole country. Its interior on the other hand combines the Italian design of style with elegant clean lines, soft and warm colours that happily surprise the visitor. The huge swimming pool attached to the children’s pool stands out with reed umbrellas in the green garden with many beach beds. It is truly unbelievable of how such beautiful hotel is out here in this small village of Marmari. It might not be on the beach but located on a hill thus giving some breathtaking views. It overlooks the marina (150 metres away) and some small islands with the shortest beach a kilometre away.

Our spacious comfortable room had 3 beds on the 2nd floor. We were impressed by the roomy stylish lifts. The bathroom had a Jacuzzi shower and it was all made of shiny good quality tile and marble wash basin, with different toiletries and very clean bright white towels. There was a mini bar and a big wardrobe with a mirror and it gave us the impression that no one before us had used the room. There were no coffee facilities though! Our balcony was on the side above the swimming pool where I loved having my afternoon coffee and overlook the coast and the marina with the ships coming and going.

Breakfast was more than adequate with a variety of different cheese to choose from, pork and turkey ham, fried and boiled eggs, sausages, sliced tomatoes, caned orange juice, omelette mixed with tomatoes, fruit salad, a variety of seasonal fruit, honey and marmalade, French coffee and tea, and different cakes, biscuits croissants and bread to choose from.
    Because it is September the restaurant was closed, but Mr. Thanasis the owner told us that lunch or dinner is offered upon request. Of course there are so many restaurants to pick from in short distance by the coast that we preferred to eat out.

The small bus of the hotel carries guests from the port to the hotel and in times of groups, guests are driven for free to the nearby little village of Paradisi. There are 2 nice cheap restaurants to choose from with good quality local food. In fact we had lunch at one of the two and we loved it.
    Maria, the owner’s daughter advised us on places and beaches to visit in short distance. Her info was precious thus saving us time from searching. Constantinos the young man at the bar and responsible for breakfast was very polite and although young in age he was very attentive. Internet is free here.

We left with only positive comments and the assurance of the great hospitality here. I would love to return and stay at one of the suite apartments on one winter weekend. For people coming from Athens, ferries come daily from Rafina to Marmari thus making it an ideal holiday destination.

If I was forced to find a negative comment I would only say that the buildings overlooking the hotel in the street are of no style at all, but the owners’ plans are to turn to advantage the piece of land lower of the pool and add greenery and high trees all around.

I urge coming visitors not to rely on the negative comments as nothing of what has been written is true. It is unfair for this business believe me!

Directions: The hotel is just 150 to 180 metres from the port