4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

More about Minos Imperial Luxury Beach Resort & Spa

Memorable Minos Imperial

Just returned from a three week stay and very much enjoyed the experience. Had read the adverse comments after booking and was wondering if we had made a mistake but the hotel far exceeded our expectations. Our VIP junior suite unexpectedly provided us with our own private pool as well as the sea view we had booked and was superb beautifully furnished and spotlessly clean. Fresh cut flowers every few days and a daily basket of fresh fruit were nice touches and the cleaning service was faultless.

We booked half board and were provided with our own private dining area for breakfast and had an alternative of a full waiter service in the fabulous Veranda Restaurant as opposed to the main buffet sytle Grand Blue for dinner. The latter provided a wide selection of hot and cold food and the former fine dining in the most elegant of surroundings. The food in the main restaurant was of a very good standard and wide in variety with something to suit every taste and the Veranda was just delightful.

The staff throughout the hotel were just a delight so friendly and anxious to provide good service which added to the enjoyment of what was a very relaxing experience.

To be fair there were some downsides, the beach is manmade and is far from perfect and the hotel is built on a hillside which would make it difficult for some potential clients although during our stay we did see the hotel providing transport for those who needed it around the site. Prices are not cheap in the bars and shops on site but there is the alternative of All Inclusive which most who stayed seemed to be on.

The biggest drawback to the hotel is that it is isolated and transport is needed if you are to see anything of the island. Milatos is close but waliking there is along an unmade track which is unlit and is not something to be contemplated at night. Sissi a larger place is walkable in the opposite direction along a similar track but is much further away although both places are worth a visit.

None of these issues spoilt what was a very enjoyable stay and this is certainly a hotel we would return to again in the future.

Amaaaazed!!!

Minos Imperial is simply perfect!!

I returned this year after a visit in 2004 and found it better than ever. I also checked the new suites with private pool and was speechless!!

I have already booked for 2006. Well done to the whole Minos Imperial team!!!

Fantastic !

by TripAdvisor Member vincit

During our stay at the Minos Imperial Hotel (Milatos) in a suite ( two bathrooms, incl. bubble bath and tv, two bedrooms, incl tv, saloon, incl large tv, dvd player, radio-cd player, private swimming pool with a large terrace), we were happy to choosen Minos Imperial and not have changed our reservation to an other hotel after reading all the netative reviews on this forum and also on german, french and dutch forums. At this moment I can't understand why they find it so negative.
We have had a great stay there and we will recommanded to everyone who is looking for a quiet place and beautiful nature around the hotel.
We had rent a car for 8 days for making daytrips to Ag.Nikolas, Kritsa, Lashiti, Heraklion and many other little villages on Crete.
Concerning the service : friendly.
Concerning the pool : very clean.
Concerning the room : cleaning every day.
Concerning food : to much.
Because Minos Imperial is build on a hillside you have to make many stairs if you don't use the elevators.
Sorry for my english (belgian)

I've paid for a 5 stars hotel but I've got a 2 stars...or even less !

Sorry for my english !

I completely agree with the comments of the persons just before us, the hotel is a real scandale; not 5 stars at all!
First of all when we arrived we thought: (after reading the comments on this site) people are never happy or satisfied...but... it didn't take long to understand the other critics.
The hotel is a real "complex", luckily we were able to follow our lugage, otherwise we would still be searching for our room in the darkness! If the bubls were allready there, they didn't work ! We didn't got the room we've booked first of all, but as we were booked into a suite we thought it would be allright. So it was, the rooms were good but the cleaning wasn't! That's a general remark; the hotel was built in 2001, so it's quite new, but it looks "old" because its maintenance (cleaning, vacuuming, hygiene,...) isn't what it's supposed to be!

The food was terrible and that due to hygienic reasons: flies everywhere, dishes not cleaned properly, the spoon to take ice cream was standing in water which was never replaced, grease everywhere,... E.g when you could have dinner from 7am until 10am (breakfast) the lights were out at 10.05am... That happened also at lunch and at dinner.

The staff wasn't friendly at all...Everything was against their will, caughing and sighing when you've asked something... At the seaside bar we had to wait 45minutes before we've got our drinks (we went to get them ourselves....), chairs and lights are broken,...

We could go on for hours and hours...But all we can say: one good advice...never go to Minos Imperial...You pay a lot to get good food, friendly people, good accommodation, etc but we didn't recieved anything !

Gorgeous resort

This hotel is just wonderful!!!

We stayed with my wife in a standard room with sea view. When we entered we could not believe that THIS was a standard room!!!!
We thought “If standard rooms are like this (King size Bed, huge TV, bathroom full of marble and a fantastic view) how are the suites like?!!

The restaurants are excellent, with a terrific breakfast buffet that will probably carry you through to dinner. We always booked for lunch in Laguna restaurant by the pool. We tried most restaurants (Grand Blue, Italian, Oriental and Luna D’Or).

Grand Blue restaurant had everything we could ask!! Show cooking of delicious pizza, fish, meat and vegetables by the chefs, smoked salmon and a daily choice of meat cut and served to us mmmm, delicious!!

We will never forget Sophia and her lovely smile at the Oriental restaurant and the delicious spring rolls and duck that the chef was preparing in front of us, both of which made us return for a second dinner!!

Luna D’or was THE place to have dinner!!! We had a Lobster dinner there and felt like kings!!

We stayed in this gorgeous resort for 7 days and loved every single moment of it!!!

I read previews comments but believe me those people have no idea what they are talking about!! Don’t make the mistake to believe what they write, because you will lose the chance of a memorable experience!!!

Minos Imperial thank you we’ll definitely come back!!!

a poor quality 2 star hotel at best

I will keep it brief as I have just got a reply from my 4 page complaint to sunstar leisure and am now consulting a solicitor. I did not discover all the negative comments about this company until it was too late and just cannot believe they are able to continue the way they do.

I booked what was described both on their website and verbally by the sales staff as a luxury 5* hotel with spa.

The level of service and the whole experience were absolutely appalling and never in a million years can this be described as a 5* luxury hotel. Sunstar say Greek standard is different, I beg to differ having stayed in correctly categorised 5* in Greece. To give an idea of how frugal and unhygienic they were, any part used bottled water from tables was saved, then they would fill carafes up for the so called SPECIAL restaurant downstairs. Not really surprised now that 6 days were spent with food poisoning

Major problems were:

Rudeness by most of staff

Same food every meal time and substandard for a 3* let alone 5 allowed a special meal once a week in poolside restaurant. Described as a superb 4 course fish speciality, when I tried to give my cutlery back after the first course the waiter placed it back for my remaining courses!

Hotel and accommodation in need of repair and a good clean
Broken unlit paths back to our room

Sunstar misleading over late checkouts and in reality this was a 13 night holiday costing us a 100 euros for late check out

trying to phone sunstar for assistance back in uk ( as no local rep was available for the 2 weeks ) they didn’t even call back and left us to check travel back to the airport if we hadn’t we would be still there waiting for sunstar to do so.

They cannot be allowed to carry on this way. Not to sound pompous but if you have not been to a 5* hotel I can see how some have left positive comments but I would defy anyone to give a positive review on The Minos Imperial Luxury Beach Resort or SUNSTAR LEISURE.

Paradise on Crete!

We had the time of our life in this excellent hotel. It is hard to believe that places like this still excist in Greece! After leaving the main road, it feels like step[ping into another world: It's like an island ON an island!Here we felt special, treated like kings and mazed about all the facilities!
I cannot believe the few reviews that wrote any negative things about this hotel. We did not found any. Or perhaps one: the food in the many different restauarnats was so good and special that we gained a few kilos!
Although this hotel has manay rooms, you nebver had any feeling it was a mass complex: everywhere was some thing different, pools, secluded corners, nicce bars and everywhere this special atmosphere. For sure we will go back! Very much recommended if you are looking for an unforgettable time!

Very very nice

by TripAdvisor Member harrow1london

Just enjoyed everything about it. OK we weren't in full season, staff were fantastically friendly, if you make the effort to try and speak a little of their language, just a couple of words they really do appreciate it and they help you all the way. The facilities were great, nothing to complain about at all. Only one comment from another staying at the hotel, they do not have a money exchange system there, so you cannot cash any travellers cheques etc. which is not good for a 5*. As we went in May it was not at all crowded, just perfect, the weather was great as well. It is quite isolated and unspoilt which is what we wanted, a nice walk to the local village, we hired a car for a couple of days and visited the plateau and Zeus's birth place plus Agios and Elounda, very mountainous, I would say if you don't like mountain drives don't go, but the views are spectacular. Do take walking shoes with you, you need them.

I would really recommend the Minos for an out of season holiday, if you just want to get away from it all. Food good, very versatile, lots of buffets types and different themes every night, plus they also have a Chinese Restaurant and an Italian one. Chinese was very good. We were all inclusive, so really didn't have to pay for anything. Some bars and restaurants you do have to pay for, but all inclusive finishes at 11.30pm.

We stayed in a bungalow, which was extremely spacious, and spotlessly clean. Lovely veranda with table and chairs and a beautiful view.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Fabulous holiday for the family

by TripAdvisor Member bongy40

We had originally booked to stay at the Hera Holiday village, but following bad reviews on Trip Advisor we changed venues 10 days before our holidy began. I was a little apprehensive as the reviews were a little mixed. I needn't have worried. The hotel was absolutely fantastic. We arrived on the Tuesday before half term holiday began.

Because of the late change of accomodation, we had a slight problem with the rooms; we had hoped for adjoining rooms or at least our daughters in a room next to us. This wasn't possible for the first three nights, but as soon as a room was available we were next to each other - the staff at reception were very helpful in this change and I am sure if the booking had been made earlier, we would not have been separated. Had our daughters been a couple of years older, they would probably have loved the freedom from the oldies, but at 11 and 12 they didn't have the confidence to be away from us.

There were a total of five swimming pools, four of them saltwater (spread out over the complex, two on the low level near the beach, a childrens pool complete with a large play boat on another level, a pool with water slides and tunnels on another level and a quiet, freshwater pool on another level - the freshwater pool is adults only, but during the half term some children were playing there and to give them credit they were well behaved and trying to be quiet).

The beach: typically Greek - ie don't expect soft golden sand, the beach has some sand and also some imported marble chippings - a little uncomfortable on the feet - wear your flip flops to the water's edge. For your use on the beach are single and double canoes?kayaks and pedaloes. At a charge is the Banana boat (I think 12 euros per person, minimum of three people required) and Jet skis (35 euros for 15 minutes). We made use of the jet ski and the guy running the water sports came out in a boat with two of us and my husband took one daughter out on the jet ski. We were able to swap over and all had a go at pillion - brilliant fun if you've never done it.

There are five restaurants, we ate in four (the fifth one was a lobster/fish restaurant which we decided we could do without -not on the All Inc). During your stay you may eat at the Itailian and Chinese rstaurants which is waiter service. I loved the Italian, the Canneloni and Risotto was delicious.Be warned, this is a six course meal and the portions are huge - wear elasticated waist! Wasn't quite so impressed with the Chinese, but the kids loved it.The vaireity of food on offer at the Grand Blue restaurant was extremely impressive with plenty of Cretan cuisine. My only problem with the food was that I loved it all and had difficulty deciding what to have! There was a great selection of puddings and fresh fruit for the more figure conscious (I'm on a diet now).

There is also a pool side restaurant for a three course waiter service lunch but you need to book in for this before 8 pm the night before. We did this a couple of times and had lovely food here as well.

Once the half term holidays began we noticed short queues at the bar and a 5 minute wait for a table for dinner - not really a problem.

My one criticism of the hotel is that the grounds could be better cared for. The grass hadn't been cut in weeks and the flower beds were full of weeds. This is a shame because everywhere is spotlessly clean and there is an army of women mopping and cleaning from 5 am (quietly).

I hope this review has been helpful and if you decide to go I wish you a very happy holiday.

Amazing

It was great. had such a good time. The hotel was lovely and the staff were very nice especially the animation crew. I would definately recommend it.

Comments