Hotel Belle Helene

Mycenae, Mycenae, Peloponnese, Greece

• serenagrimaldi's Profile Photo

Only place to stay in Mycenae!!

Lovely family run place, basic, but clean and friendly.

Unique Quality: Run by the Dassis family for over 100 years. It was home to Heinrich Schleimann who excavated the Citadel. The present incument is Agamemnon Dassis and his lovely Australian wife Angela.

• One of Greece's best living museums!

angiebabe is missing the point. Belle Helene is not really a hotel. It is a chance to experience and to live history. A remarkable place full of atmosphere, but unless the guests want to immerse themselves in the archaeologist's history, and imagine the working conditions in the nineteenth century of Heinrich Schliemann, and the rush of celebrities in the thirties that came thereafter to Belle Helene they would be better going into Nafplio to find accommodation. I am just frightened that one day someone will modernise it although still promoting it as Schliemann's home.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

stay in a famed archeologists old house

I stayed here in May which is officially off peak - all the must sees around the place closed at 3pm according to their Winter schedules - even though it wasnt getting dark until after 8pm.

I stayed here as it was almost sunset and I had been up to the Mycenae site to look through the fence and I got enticed to visit it first thing in the morning - but a castle had caught my eye in the distance which the managers wife - an Australian girl!- told me was only about 12 km away - so I confirmed the room and took off.

Unfortunately as Greek signposting consistently seemed to prove, I was totally unable to find the place with signposting directing me up a one way road with traffic coming toward me - and no further signs of how to find where to go. (I ended up at a dead end road but with a monastery with fab views over the town - but no sign of any road up the rocks to the castle)

Anyway this hotel - I had agreed to 25 euro which I thought, me being a scrooge and all too I suppose, was a bit steep for a single bed in a place that though obviously recently spruced up nothing matched, the place was chilly with no TV, no internet, and showers and toilets out in a communal area - and it was offpeak season.

The Rough guide recommended eating here and the Aussie wife of the owner seemed friendly and cheerful to come back and have a chat with and provide some business for - which turned out to be one stick of Souvlavi with a side salad and a half a litre of white wine for 15 euro.

The breakfast next day which thankfully was included was bread, jam and the coffee and tea necessities but as with seemed to be the norm for every hotel around Greece, instead of real juice a really foul orange cordial drink stuff - and this is in a country that grows so many oranges! - I had actually been to Lidl the evening before just down the road at Argos - and I noticed quite a number of them along my travels - where a whole litre and a half of 100% juice can be bought for about 75 cents!

Unique Quality: The archeologist Heinrich Schliemann, who also excavated Troy, discovered Mycenae in 1874 lived here.
    Since then it was converted into a hotel becoming quite an attraction for celebrities and notables. Signatures from its visitors book such as Virginia Woolf can be seen. Along with interesting displays of early photos of the site and findings.

There is an ATM right across the road.

Directions: right in the middle of the village of Mykines which services Mycenae 2 km further up the hill

• serenagrimaldi's Profile Photo

only place to stay in mycenae

My daughter granddaughter and i stayed in this remarkable place in January 2008.Agamemnon Dassis and his lovely australian wife Angela, gave us the warmest welcome, and virtually opened the hotel for usas the entire village of mycenae seems to shut down for the winter.The advantage of that is that you get the fabulous acropolis of the original Agamemnon mostly too yourself,and we were blessed with perfect weather. Agamemnon Dassis is the great-grandson of The man who helped Heinrich Schliemann excavate the site in the 1880's. HS stayed at the dassis house on and off for 12 years, and it is the same house that guests stay in now. A restaurant has been added, and the accommodation is basic but clean, no en suite, But the atmosphere is what you go for and the history of the place.

Unique Quality: fairly close proximity to the acropolis of mycenae. The Dassis family. and the history attached to the building. If you are an archaeology nut,you can't stay anywhere else in Mycenae.

Directions: Fairly easy to find if driving from Corinth or southern Peloponese, or Bus from Argos.

Comments