PO Box 1356, Pelagia Beach 11, Agia Pelagia, 71110, Greece

Costs 25% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Village Panorama Hotel

Loved the Village panorama hotel

by TripAdvisor Member mynancy

I have just returned from a weeks all inclusive at the Village panorama Hotel with my partner. After I booked it I panicked when i read all th ebad reviews, which has inspired me to write this.

The only complaint I have of that holiday was all the people complaining. I heard comment s like this scraped the bottom of the barrel and the food was disgusting and felt i was staying in a different place.

I think people see all inclusive and expect luxury but at £300 per week invcluding flight you get what you pay for and it was cheap and cheerful. There wasn't a meal I ate when I didn't go back for more and say that was lovely, and I am a really fussy eater.

Yes you have to queue at the bar and can only get one drink per person per visit to the bar BUT its cool and costas the evening bar man was a darling, he even took us out one night to a greek bar, great guy. The daytime barman Yannis shouts WHAT at you everytime you visit the bar, I found this hysterical to be honest.

We drank from 10am to midnight and the pool was lovely. Yes you have to get up early to get a sunbed but its worth it.

We had a tv, hairdryer and fridge in our room and 2 english channels on the tv.

The staff were all friendly and helpful.

I couldn't fault it apart from as I say the moaning people who seemed to think you pay £300 and you should be transported to luxury...life just isn't like that. Go with an open mind and enjoy because we did.

Why oh why don't you complainers stay in Blackpool or Bournemouth!!??

by TripAdvisor Member TheOGravys

Well!! Here we go again!

Just like you, I read the reviews and wondered what I'd got my husband and two children aged 6 and 5 into!!?? We'd been through this before when I read the dreadful reviews of the hotel we were staying in in Gran Canaria in Feb this year.

All I can say is IGNORE THE BAD REVIEWS!!!! It's really not that bad at all!! I I just can't help thinking that people that complain about the unusual food, strange foriegn staff and the Germans should really book themselves into a Pontins half-board caravan forthwith!!

So...... let me start from the beginning with OUR experience of the Village Panorama!

We arrived at 5am in the morning with our young children and were checked in quickly and the receptionist offered to arrange for us an early breakfast or some tea and coffee. We declined as we just wanted to sleep for a couple of hours but his offer was there. He helped my daughter with her case up the stairs and showed us the direction of our room and then he had to go back to the desk as he was the only person on duty - quite understandable really!!!??

Our room was just like any other room we have stayed in in Greece - basic but clean and the family room we had was more than acceptable. The views from the balcony were just beautiful - hence the name of the hotel!

And so our stay began and we spent an easy first day by the pool snoozing and catching up on lost sleep. The pool was a good size and very clean and we found the pool was very well maintained throughout the week. We didn't have trouble with sunbeds as a lot of people spent some days at the two nearby beaches freeing up beds around the pool.

We went to lunch for out first dining experience at the dreaded Panorama only to find stuffed baked peppers, greek salad, good fresh bread and great wine! And if the greek food is not to your liking, there was their attempt at turkey and roast potatoes with english veggies - not quite as you would see it at home but marks out of ten for trying!! The children had as much ice cream as they could eat and a choice of puddings. And it was just fine!!

And guess what!!?? The food all week was great!! Breakfast offered cereal, greek yog & honey, fresh bread, cake and the usual continental cheese and meat. And every day there was something freshly cooked like bacon or pancakes with choc spread or those lovely greek deep fried mini-donuts coated in honey, cinnamon and sesame seeds!

Lunch offered a wide range of salads and two main meal choices. Plus bread, cake , dessert and ice cream. And the coffee is on tap all day long and is lovely!

Afternoon tea, coffee and cookies is worth a visit in the afternoon too.

The evening meal involved soup. pasta. two main meal choices, piles of salad, freshly cooked kebabs while you wait, friut and puddings...... need I go on? The beer is good too!!

Between us as a family, we put on 13 pounds in a week so it can't be that bad!! And if you are out and about exploring the island, ask for a picnic. It saved us a fortune. It was basic - a fresh roll with cheese and meat, two pieces of fruit, a bottle of water and a carton of fruit juice each but what more do you need!!??

Anyway, I guess you can tell that I'm in disagreement with lots of the other reviews!! We didn't pay a lot for this holiday - it was a budget option and it most certainly is not the Ritz. But it is a good "Greek" hotel that do their best to make you feel comfortable.

Just a few points before I go -

* the reason they restrict drinks to one a person on occasion is because not all of the guests at the hotel are All Inclusive and some All Inclusive guests were stockpiling drinks and giving them to the guests who should really have been paying for them. The staff do what they can to prevent this and you can't blame them - they are operating a business!!

* the cleaners were in our room every day washing floors, cleaning toilets, brining clean towels and changing or making the beds. They even made the bed sheets into pretty bows one day which the children liked.

* yes the air con is 5 euros a night if you want it but this was in the details when we booked the holiday. We thought we wouldn't need it but it was hot so we paid and as the overall holiday cost was low - we didn't mind.

* Agia Pelagia beach is not that far away and if my 5 & 6 yr old can do it then most able bodied people can!! Lygeria beach is a little further but beautiful and you must go! Feed the fishes some bread and they will swin next to you!

* TALK TO THE STAF AND BE FRIENDLY! I got pi**ed off with the whinging brits who showed the staff little respect so god knows how the staff feel!! An example is during afternoon tea a dim idiot accused the young greek bar girl of being a "money grabbing [----]" because she watered down the long-life milk they have to use because there are no cows on the island! After he stormed off she explained to me that the milk they use from the tins is very creamy which is great for the coffee but horrid in tea - therefore they find that mixing half and half water with milk makes it a lot more palitable for the brits. (and when do you ever go abroad and get a good cup of "english" tea!!?)

So...... make friends with your hosts and they will treat you well. Take an interest in them and their country, of which they are very proud, and they will respect you in return. I was embrassed to be british at times which is a shame.

Also try the yoga under a tree next to the pool after breakfast with the animation staff! Bliss!!

And if you read this and agree with me about the hotel - please leave a good review and help those people who want to go abroard and enjoy a different way of living look forward to ther holiday instead of dreading it!!

Dont waste your money

After booking a double room for me and my girlfriend with air conditioning, once we got there we were given the keys to a single bed room with air con or a double room without. we took the double room which turned out to be nothing more then what nlooked like a barn with next to no ammenities and with a foul smell outside the room. the food was the same everyday, youd see last nights pasta mixed in with something else for dinner tomorrow. the entertainment however was good with lots of fun to be had by the pool in the day but if you havnt got a car and you dont like walking 2 miles up a sttep climb to get to any shops then you are limited to whats there. the drinks were very nice with it being all inclusive but they were seriously under staffed and it could take you up to an hour to get half a pint as you wernt allowed to get more than 1 drink each. the pople were very friendly and helpful. advertised as a 4 star to us which sorry to say it deffenatly isnt. if your on a tight budget then go but its worth the extra to get somewhere you dont mind staying. wouldn't go back.

Not baby friendly!

We booked an apartment with for ourselves, our 13 and 10 year old daughters and our baby son and arrived to find we had one room with camp beds and no cot. After 2 days of querying we were finally moved to an apartment, but the cot never materialised. Staff were extremely aggressive and rude, which we have never encountered in Greece before. Although our holiday was inclusive there was never enough food to go around and not enough seats in the restaurant, neither were there enough sun loungers by the very small pool. We ended up eating out. Bar staff begrudged having to serve and refused another guest a drink on the grounds that 'he had enough' (the guy had had 2 drinks), it would have been impossible to get drunk!
The hotel is situated high on a hill and has loads of steps and no working lift; which was a nightmare with a baby buggy. We felt very sorry for the many older guests. The hotel is a good 20 minute walk from the town of Ayia Pelagia, down an extremely steep slope.
Crete is beautiful and we would visit again, but not this hotel!

So So visit

We arrived at 0300 in the morning and had no problem booking in. The room was clean and was what they classed as mountain view, so there was nothing to look at but dead bushes facing the room. The beds were very low and uncomfortable. The hotel was clean and the food was fine. I had read the reviews and was dreading going.but at least the food turned out to be quite good. The bar was fine at first although service was a little slow. We didn't have an alcoholic drink from the bar until the fourth day, big mistake, the spirits were watered down and I felt quite offended with the small measure I was given. That was the last night at this bar we used the village of Agia Pelagia after that. The worst downfall we found was the mosquiitoes, we were bitten all over. The best thing we found was a plug in repellant which we bought for 6 euros in the village. Most of the staff were very friendly and helpful apart from a receptionist who we had two run ins with. Even after paying for an extra night in the room because our flight home wasn't until 0300am she still tried to get us to leave the room early evening which was the second run in of the week with her. This hotel I wouldn't use again but the village of Agia elagia I would like to visit again. A beautiful area, with lovely tavernas all with superb service. Crete is a beautiful island

Never again!

by TripAdvisor Member Atrel

Before I start, I would just like to say I am not one of these “chips with everything” and “It’s not like home” merchants. I have been to Greece many times. I’ve been to several all-inclusives. I like Greece, I like the Greeks and I love the food.

First the good things: The views are wonderful and the food is great. There are a lot of salads and the fresh grilled meats and fish are wonderful and the staff are very friendly. Apart from that, it’s not very good.

The location is halfway up a hill overlooking two bays (hence the good views). This does mean everywhere you go there are steps, so if you have a baby buggy or are infirm, this is not the place for you.

The hotel has two bars, one outside by the pool and the other near reception. The one by reception was never used and judging by the lack of bottles, beer taps and glasses, is never used. This leaves the pool bar. Because it is an ‘all-inclusive’, there is no incentive for the staff to be swift and efficient and earn tips. This means that there are permanent queues and it takes ages to get a drink. All the drinks are ‘local’ which means the beer is passable, whilst the spirits taste nothing like the gin, rum and vodka you are used to.

The original complex has been expanded over time with, what one reviewer described as ‘stables’. They are not. They are small studio type apartments with two beds and a small bathroom. The crazy-paving stone floor and timber beams give the impression of being a converted barn, but they are purpose built. Our room was not especially clean. Dead insects on the floor were still there three days later, despite being ‘cleaned’ every day. The sheets and towels had holes in them. The bathroom was a typical Greek one – no hook for the shower head, plug for the sink and water going everywhere. (You expect that, so I am not complaining). The badly fitting balcony doors allow all manner of bugs to crawl in the room and the balcony was infested with ants. Because the way the accommodation is built, the next row of ‘stables’ was staggered down the hill just below us, resulting in a very limited view obscured by the roof of the block below.

The biggest problem with the hotel is the lack of space. They have built additional accommodation without having the infrastructure to back it up. The dining room is too small and apart from the patio bar and around the pool, there is nowhere else to sit. This means that the pool area is packed. If you are out there after 8am and want a sunbed, forget it!

This is also a place to avoid if you are a non-smoker because everybody smokes all the time. It is also somewhere to avoid if you do not like kids. There were hoards of kids running all over the place when we were there, which, when it should still be term time, was not what we signed up for.

Overall, I would rate this is very poorly compared to other Greek all-inclusives and it is not in the same league as the Caribbean AI’s, so we will not be going back there again.

Disappointing all inclusive

by TripAdvisor Member Keith066

Flight and taxi from airport all ok. Arrived in the early hours and greeted with friendly staff member. Room looked OK in the dark but in the morning looked like a cave. The overhanging grape vinve contained various wildlife and only the spider in the corner kept down the mossi attacks. Too many guests and not enough sun loungers, same applies to the dining room and bar, que que que. Food in hotel not up to standard for an all inclusive and lacked traditional Greek touch. Don't need this on holiday. View from hotel excellent, but a steep walk down the hill to the beach, which was quite good, plenty of taverna along the beach front, but after a few ozo's you need a taxi back up the hill. You definately need car hire, which you should get from the hotel and save some money, same applied to any excursion, book it with the hotel and not the tour rep.

Overall we could not recommend this hotel.
The hotel looks tired and needs a complete make over
The picture of the bedroom in the hotel web site was nothing like our room
We spent all our time away from the hotel either on the beach or travelled up and down the main road to other resorts.

Porridge in the Sun!!

by TripAdvisor Member Rowling

If only we had bothered to look at the reviews - we would never have booked.

This hotel was the worst I have ever been too.

The website description for this hotel has been copied from another hotel - it has to have been.

Upon arriving - 4am - we were directed out of reception and told to go down the steps past the pool and down some more steps - try this with two boys trailing behind you who are ratty and tired - we are lucky we didn't have an accident.

Then we hit the room - the brochure said spacious and comfortably equipped - bollocks! Two adults and two boys in a room not big enough to swing a cat in - a double bed in the middle a single bed at one side of it and a bleeding camp bed at the other side with a matress thinner than a slice of toast! - As my partner said - they had bigger cells in porridge!!

The food was barely edible - the two boys ate mainly bread for the whole week!

As for the all inclusive drinks - don't bother there is one person behind the bar you spend half the night queing.

Not suitable for children - the main entertainment being the swimming pool - other than that the boys were bored stiff. We spent more money in the shop buying them ice-creams and snacks and this was our main reason for booking all inclusive so the boys would be entertained and could have as many snacks and drinks as they liked!

The staff - again the brochure states "friendly, family atmosphere" again utter bollocks! There weren't that many that you would notice them and when you did they were rude, ignorant and scruffy!!

If you want a good holiday - please don't book with this Hotel!!

Roy, Jan, Luke & Dan

i returned from this hotel 5 days early

by TripAdvisor Member margoc

we arrived in the early hours of the morning and were given our key and directions to the room upon opening the door the smell was awful so my husband went back to reception to purchase the air conditioning next day we went out came back same smell we went to reception staff and was told we could upgrade which we did at a cost of 7 euros per night there was no comparison the room was the one in the brochure the food in the hotel was barely edible i like foreign food but i did not like this food at all i was not drinking alcohol the soft drinks were like syrup so i had to pay for bottle water or drink there soda water the bar staff were extremeley rude and just ignored you left you standing there as i had a medical scare after seeing the doctor my insurance decided to send me home 5 days early i was asked to find out at reception if i could keep my room till i left for an evening flight (i had paid the room for 5 more days plus upgrade for 5 days)that morning they came to advise me that i could keep my room we have travelled to many places all over this was 1st time in greece never again it was like living in the dark ages the place was filthy cats and flies the only decent thing was the very nice people we met who were holidaying there just remember when you are there it is too late

This Is What Its Really Like

by TripAdvisor Member zzzyyy

DO NOT IGNORE PREVIOUS BAD REVIEWS !!!! -

We are a family that -after many years travelling abroad -are neither fussy or chip eating Brits who long for Blackpool.

The rooms are basic & generally clean (cleaners do a reasonable job) - however the rest of the hotel is shabby, tired & generally dirty - pool table has holes in, table tennis has no net.

Pool is too small for numbers staying @ hotel and the insufficient sunbeds are 'reserved' despite hotel policy.

Food is bland, repetitive & generally poor - very similar to the worst school dinner you have ever had (although i dont remember being served cold brussel sprouts for breakfast and uncooked liver for dinner?)

E.G. dessert every night was watermellon / jelly / cake (same flavours).

After inspecting what had been done with the previous days leftovers - we would generally eat out at the seafront - where local dishes & sea food are excellent.

Hygiene not a high consideration as cats roam freely inside the restaurant during meals.

The bar for snacks & icecream was shut for the whole 2 weeks and the tea & cakes are shared with local insects & wildlife.

Only pool side bar was ever open - where you were served by generally surly staff - after a 15 minute wait! Only 1 member of staff would serve @ any one time - to reduce costs i presume?

Not recommended for people with young children (buggys) as the beach is apprx 10 mins away with a steep incline back - PLEASE NOTE the alleged free hotel transport to the beach was never available!!

Views excellent - local people friendly

Did not expect the Ritz but also did not expect to have to visit local appartments to enjoy the luxury of a sunbed that was not broken & pleasant clean surroundings.

Would not recommend this hotel

Does the bus still run from Hotel Panorama to Heraklion?

by gillyb46

Hi
We went to the Hotel Village Panorama two years ago and there was a small bus which ran to and from the Hotel to Heraklion every couple of hours. Does this still run? And if so does anyone have the timetable for August 2010? Or failing that the email or phone number for the hotel? Can't seem to find anything but address after an hour googling! Many thanks Gillian

by leics

Always the same problem with hotels which feature on loads of booking websites!

Phone number might be on this page:

Worth a try......

by gillyb46

Thank you so much - just checked it out and got the phone number straight away.
I've just joined Virtual Tourist so you can imagine how impressed I am!
Best wishes
Gillian

by leics

I know you will stay impressed...it is by far the best site on the web for helpful, friendly and accurate advice.

But be warned....most of us only joined to ask a question, just like you. It is a highly addictive site! :-))

Comments