Amalia

Amalia Hotel
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Amalia

Great place to stay for much less...

by TripAdvisor Member baja722

The hotel was recently renovated and looked absolutely beautiful. The staff were friendly, the breakfast (proino) excellent, the view ok. Very easy access to the plaka, sightseeing bus line, acropolis, etc. I walked in without a reservation and got a room for under 130 Euros.

I'd highly recommend.

Outstanding location!

by TripAdvisor Member velevele

I stayed in this hotel a total of four nights (three separate stays) in Sept and Oct 2007. I was very happy with this hotel and would definitely stay here again if I were to return to Athens.

Positives:
– Excellent location just south of Syntagma Square, with its nearby subway station and shopping. The hotel is in walking distance of almost everything you would want to see in Athens, including the Acropolis, Plaka, Lycabettus Hill, Syntagma Square, and the Agora. The most important factor to me when choosing a hotel is location, and the Amalia excelled in this area.
– The hotel has fairly recently been renovated and was very clean. Everything worked and all three rooms I had were in good condition. Maids kept the rooms well-serviced.
– The A/C in all three of my rooms was excellent.
– My rooms were all of decent size (I was staying in singles) and were not the teensy single rooms one often finds in Europe.
– The hot water temperature and pressure in the shower were both excellent.
– The beds were firm but comfortable for me.
– The staff was friendly and efficient. They handled the booking for my 2 AM (!) taxi to the airport efficiently, and the taxi showed up on time. On my second stay, they also arranged a very early check-in for me (9 AM!), which I was most appreciative of, just having come off the night ferry from Crete. All staff that I dealt with spoke excellent English.
– Buffet breakfasts were large and of overall good quality. A few Greek items were also available. I didn’t eat any other meals in the hotel so can’t comment on those.
– All three rooms I had were quiet, with no noise from halls or streets.
– There are several small street kiosks just outside the hotel, very convenient to pick up that last-minute snack or other item.

Negatives (not very negative):
– One of my three rooms faced north, onto a construction site where work went on until late in the night. It wasn’t noisy, but the construction lights were very bright, and it was difficult to get my curtains perfectly positioned to keep the light out.
– Amalias Avenue is a very busy street at just about all hours of the day and night. (Cross at your own risk!) None of my three rooms faced this street so I can’t comment about how noisy rooms might be that did.
– The frontage of the hotel on Amalias is fairly minimalist and it’s easy to walk right by it – look for the large glass revolving doors.
– The hotel is (understandably) popular with tour groups, so if you are looking for a quaint, small, back-alley-Plaka hotel, you might wish to look elsewhere. (The hotel handled the groups well, including at the breakfast buffet.)

Summary:
The location of the Amalia can’t be beat, and with the renovation the hotel is looking good. I would very happily stay here again if my travels take me back to Athens.

Great Location.

by TripAdvisor Member Danigirl29

Athens is a very overwhelming city. Immediatley upon being bussed in to the city, I started getting a little anxious. There are buildings and people and racing cars everywhere. And there's no definitive "nice area" of the city really.

This hotel was pleasantly located in a very busy part of the city yet within walking distance to all the major sights. We were able to walk to the Acropolis, the Olympic stadium, the Temple of Zuess, the House of Parliament, and pretty much anything else on a the average tourist's list. There's also a park across the street which is pretty nice.

This hotel is very modern and nicely decorated. The rooms were a nice size and the bathrooms were a nice size too. The beds were pretty comfortable in comparison to other hotels. Our room had a nice sized balcony that overlooked the park and House of Parliament. Behind the hotel is the Acropolis and the shopping and dining village. It's also right next to Syntagma Square which is a huge shopping district. The Metro is just outside the hotel doors. You can access everything from this location if you know where to go. There's really no need for a taxi.

The staff was very friendly. The free morning breakfast was good, better than your average continental breakfast. The hotel has internet access as well. No pool, spa or hot tub. There is a nice lounge downstairs that serves drinks.

My only complaint was that upon checking is, we found out they were filming a local TV show on our floor. We had to wait while they halted production to get into our rooms. The crew filled the halls and were smoking non-stop. It was kind of a pain to access our room and go in and out since they had to stop filming each time we did. My other complaint was the smoking. I think that we were placed in a non-smoking room but because the average Greek smokes 4 times more than your average smoker, you can't tell. I kid you not. Greeks are considered the world's heaviest smokers and almost half of all local Greeks smoke. In fact, there are laws against smoking, including the "Clean Air Act" but they are not applied, and nobody dares sanction those who break them. Even when the filming crew cleared out, I was still smelling cigarette smoke morning, noon and night.

wonderful Experience

by TripAdvisor Member battlede

We stayed at this hotel in June 2008 for 5 nights. it was absolutely a wonderful hotel. It was recently remodeled so any review prior to 2008 is simply out of date.

Our room was spacious, clean, modern, comfortable, marble bath. The breakfast was first rate. Full breakfast that would easily carry us through lunch todinner.

The locatin was perfect. walking distance to Plaka anad the Acropolis. Across the street from the National Park. Around the corner from some museums. One block to Syntagma Square and constitution square. Two blocks from shopping.

Would stay here again without any doubt. Loved this hotel. It made the trip to Athens a very enjoyable expeerience.

Great value

by TripAdvisor Member Tuscan325i

My wife and I just got back from Athens after staying 7 nights at the Amalia Hotel in Athens. We also took our 3 month old baby...well it was a business trip, so the company picked up most of the tab. Although my colleagues usually stay at the Grand Bretagne, this arrangements were made by the hosting agency so I did not have a choice. The Amalia is on the same street as the Grand Bretagne and one block away so the location is great in downtown Athens and within walking distance of the Acropolis and shops. I heard some other people complaining of the noise because their rooms were facing the main avenue, but they were most likely trying to have a higher view of the city, you might want to consider that. The dining room is in the mezzanine between ground and 1st floor and unlike the view you would get from the Grand Bretagne on the top floor. But you can take the elevator at dusk and take some amazing pictures of the acropolis. The staff was great and helpful and loved the baby. After 3 days we felt at home. I do recommend it. One thing to consider is the heat and smog of summer when going to Athens, it was great going at the beginning of June because it was not as bad.

Excellent Location - Clean & Modern Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ganggang

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in June. It's in an excellent location, just next to Syntagma Square, and within walking distance to the Plaka and the Acropolis.

Despite the outdated exterior, the room was modern, comfortable and clean, with a very nice new bathroom. Staff spoke good English.

We booked through booking.com at €180 per night - and buffet breakfast was not included - so we considered this room to be rather expensive.

Would definitely recommend this hotel - but it might be worth shopping around for a better price than what we paid.

Great Hotel Find

by TripAdvisor Member kvirl

We stayed at this hotel for three days total, two upon arriving to Athens and one night before departing back home. This hotel was wonderful! They allowed us to check-in earlier than the stated check-in time, which was heaven-sent since my husband and I had not slept for two days (we flew from San Francisco).

The location was amazing: right next to Syntagma Square and its metro stop and shopping area; walking distance to Kolonaki and its great lounges, bar, restaurants; walking distance to Plaka and the ever-present Acropolis and wonderful cafes and souvlaki spots in Monastiraki. Basically a centrally located hotel for all must see tourist spots for the first time visitor, even second or third....

The hotel front desk holds a special place in our trip because they were so helpful and accommodating. We had our first taxi transfer to the ferry in Piraeus at 6:30 in the morning. They helped with calling to confirm the taxi transfer as well as finding and holding my purse that had our passports, wallets and all other important materials that I left in the hotel lobby in my hurry to explore the Greek islands. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Athens.

As to necessities: The hotel's exterior and interior were fine, the lobby and the cafe were on the modern side. The rooms were business-like in nature and clean. The shower was by far the most superior we experienced in Greece! The breakfast was good - the coffee smelled and tasted beyond good (and I'm not talking the espresso bar). The only downside is probably the lack of a pool but in late September, we did not need a pool.

Sweet, Sparkly and Central

by TripAdvisor Member Drovers-Girl

The great location, friendly staff and the twinkling ceiling in reception all help to make this hotel a real little gem offering good value for money.

Situated just a few minutes walk outside Plaka, the hotel provides easy access to the Acroplis, Zappieion Mansion, Olympieion and Parliament Building. Its well worth the short stroll to the Tomb of the Unknown Solider to watch the guard changeover. Pom-poms ahoy!

My partner and I spent four nights at the Amalia and were pleased with our spacious and well decorated room. The view may have been a little lacking but in compensation the place was lovely and peacful at night.

In fact the only complaints we had were (1) the bed was a little to hard for us softies so we had stiff necks each morning and (2) our mini-bar was never refreshed so we were desperate for soft drinks each day.

However, despite those little discretions, I would reccomend this hotel to everyone.

In the heart of Athens

by TripAdvisor Member MrTeaPaws

The Amalia is right in the middle of everything central. It is across the road from the parliament and the soldiers with pom poms on their feet. Turn right and there is the Zappeon Palace and the olympic stadium or carry on a few minutes more and you are in the heart of the Plaka and the Acropolis.

The hotel is reasonably priced and fairly comfortable. The rooms are spacious but face a dilemma. A room at the front has a good view, particularly the higher rooms, but can be noisy. The rooms at the rear look onto the wall of the neighbouring building but are quiet. But in all cases they are very spacious with good desk space and high speed internet (15 Euros a day), big beds but as in most of Europe, you may need an extra pillow or two and can expect a firm bed.

The bathrooms are small and unless you are a dwarf, the shower will be used and not the bath. Nice selection of toiletries and big towels though. There was also a well stocked though slightly expensive minibar and air con that was very effective.

Finally make sure you get up to the top floor for amazing views and photos from the roof terrace.

Very New!

by TripAdvisor Member Adelchick

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights during July. The hotel was clean, tidy, and new. There were excellent views from our balcony and we could see the guards changing every hour from our balcony. A real highlight! It is in the heart of Athens and everything is so close.
The staff were friendly and we happy to help with any questions.
The breakfast was fantastic, definately the best breakfast in all of Europe!
Unfortunately, It doesnt have a pool but the good air conditioning makes up for it!
I would recommend staying here and I would stay here again.

Comments