10 Achilleos Street, Metaxourghio Square, Athens, Attica, 104 36, Greece

Costs 56% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Apollo Hotel

Panepistimou Str and NEOCLASSICAL TRILOGY

by mindcrime

As you walk down Panepistimou street from Syntagma square you will notice a lot of interesting buildings.

First, at your left hand you will see ATTICA the big mall that every woman loves.
Further down at your right hand (n.12) you will see the Numismatic Museum(pic 3), then the Catholic Church Saint Dionysus (with the marble forefront, for a ceremony go there at 11:00am on sunday), then (at the intersection with Sina Street) the OPHTHALMOLOGIC Clinic of Athens (a weird architecture combination of Byzantine and neoclassical style, it was built in 1854 by Lysandris Kaytatzoglou and had 600 patients per year while now has 60,000!) and then the NEOCLASSIC TRILOGY(pic 5) that were built in the 19th century:
1.The Academy of Athens, an excellent piece of architecture built by the danish architecture Hansen. Some elements borrowed from the Erechtion. Check also the statues of Apollo, Athens, Socrates and Plato.
2.The University of Athens (pic 1) with some nice forefront murals by Rahl and Lebietski that represend the birth of sciences in Greece
3.The National Library (pic 2), the most important library in Greece although I prefer others for my readings :) The double staircase in renaissance style leads to the main reading room.

From your left again there is the huge Elefterudakis Bookstore (at n.17 a modern building full of glass and marble), the Book Arcade (“Stoa Vivliou”) full of bookstores but also some cafes(one of them on the top floor), the small “yellow house”(pic 4) built in 1842 one of the oldest buildings in this street, the Arsakeio School and of course many many stores of any kind.

Now you can turn right to Eksarhia district or turn right to the parralel of Panepistimiu that is Stadiou street to return back to syntagma square,

Adequate accommodation

by TripAdvisor Member travelmadfiEdinburgh

Despite some recent comments, we found this hotel adequate in all respects. It no doubt gets the 3* rating because of facilities that are available free such as the fridge in the room and air conditioning. Our room was smallish as was the bathroom, but both were clean with sheets and towels changed every 2 days. Decor was a little dowdy. You generally get what you pay for, and considering the price charged, staying here is a good deal. OK, breakfast was basic (cereal, tinned peaches, cheese, ham, eggs, bread, with tea or coffee or orange squash), but at the price paid I consider this to be fine. Staff were helpful and sorted out the safe in our room which the previous occupants had left locked. They also sorted the fridge which didn't seem to be working at first.

One word of caution is that the area isn't the best. Omonia Square (fairly close by) is apparently renowned for thieves and I did have zips opened in my handbag whilst on the metro in that area - beware. We were sensible enough to carry valuables more safely i.e. at the bottom of my handbag under many other items.

If you want a decent coffee or nightcap on your way home (and/or delicious cakes) the Crystal Hotel a few doors along from the Apollo is great.

C and M

Best spend your money elsewhere

by TripAdvisor Member missbrightside83

The Apollo was an ok experience for me. When I booked the hotel, all these reviews weren't here yet, so I probably wouldn't book it now after reading all your review's.

I checked in late at night and the receptionist was quite rude and more focused on the people he had there with him, instead of me. They wanted payment up front, which is fine of course. Had I checked out earlier I wouldn't have seen my money anymore.

The room was ok size, the bed was very big so there wasn't much room for anything else. The bathroom was very tiny, especially the shower area.

The doors are not soundproofed, therefore it can get very loud when someone closes the door or when the maids clean. The hotel is on a big street so traffic noise is inevidable. I was lucky enough to get a room facing the back but there was a construction site next to the hotel and the work started at 8 AM.. Of course, there's nothing the hotel can do about that.

The use of safe us free of charge, be sure to use it!!

The breakfast was very tiny, very basic and until 9:30 so be sure to get up early.

The location is ok. The hotel is next to a metrostation and the metro is extremely easy to use. Walking is also an option, it's about a 15 minute walk to the center and a 35 minute walk to the Akropolis. Take the metro to Akropolis tho, it's 5 minutes.

My friends told me that the area where the hotel is located is not the best one there is. It's the area with all the prostitutes and drug-users. My friends would not allow me to walk alone after dark so please be careful, especially when travelling alone.

Be sure to have a map of Athens with you, because the one's they provide you with at the hotel are not very useful.

The front office staff was nice and very greek. The men are flirty and the women very straight-forward. I did notice that when I asked something that required them to do something, there was a hint of annoyance in their voices. When I left the hotel, the lady ran after me to make sure I didn't have anything in my back-bag, so that I wouldn't get robbed.

I can understand what people are saying here about the staff and I do recognize the people in different reviews. I would say that the staff are one of the good things about the hotel. They're working with limited resources and when paying 50EUR / night, what can you really expect? My advise is to stay calm and be patient.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures from this hotel, but the one's that are already posted up here are pretty much what I had as a room also.

Extremely Convienient and Courteous Staff

by TripAdvisor Member lonjen75

I stayed at the Apollo Hotel for 2 nights in October. It was a rather pleasant stay.

There were a few negatives, but I feel that in this price range the hotel met all the requirements of a good review.

First, the negatives:

*The bed mattress was extremely hard, I thought I could feel the springs. However pillows & sheets were good.

*The WiFi is only available downstairs in the bar. Having a lot of business to take care of I was having a hard time focusing on it because I was, afterall working in a bar.

*Noise. The doors to the room are VERY thin, there is a lot of echoing in the hallways. Also, because it is in the center of the city, there is noise outside as well. However I am not a really light sleeper so it didn't bother me too much, just something I observed.

*Showers, I did notice some inconsistency with the temperature. It never really got too cold but it would occasionally get very hot. I would not attribute this entirely to the hotel, I find this to be a common problem with plumbing in many places I have stayed in Europe.

The benefits:

*Price. Two nights in a double bed ensuite room was only €60.

*Staff. I found them to be very nice. Particularly the lady who works the front desk during the day. She was very helpful with getting good prices on taxis to the airport as well as offering to arrange for tours that would actually pickup at the hotel.

*Location. It is extremely close to the Metro and you can also just walk to Plaka and Acropolis if you would prefer.

Overall, I would stay at this hotel again. I have even recommended it to my friends. I enjoyed the stay and actually found some of the little quirks of this hotel gave it a bit of charm.

Recommended

by TripAdvisor Member thekatyiknow

Extremely friendly and knowledgeable staff.
Provides early check in if your room is available.
Very close to Metro Station.
The laundromat is nearby, but costs a lot if you have a big load.

Good value for Athens

by TripAdvisor Member wanderlustdreams

Walking distance to the Acropolis (if you enjoy walking, this is a good location). Clean, friendly service, good value for Athens. The rooftop terrace was closed during our stay although this was not indicated on their website.

Amazing Greece

by TripAdvisor Member ohohuk

We stayed in the hotel during Christmas 2007 for 4 nights. The location was excellent, contrary to some reviews about the square where someone said it was not safe to wander about in the night, I found the location very safe. There was bit noise in the night due to the traffic, but it didn't bother us much after a hard day out walking. The food was nice and plenty. The hotel staff were very courteous and helpful. The only negative I have is the water. The hot water/cold water mixer on the shower was not working well as the water was either too cold for a moment or too hot at the next moment. Even though the size of the room was a bit small, we thought it was ok for the price paid. The view of Acropolis from the hotel balcony was very nice. We stayed on the 6th floor.

Overall, we were very impressed with our holiday in Greece. The hotel was really an 'icing on the cake'.

Got what we paid for

by TripAdvisor Member otokonoko

The Apollo is a comfortable hotel in Athens, and we found almost every aspect of our stay to be completely satisfactory. We stayed there for a week over New Year, 2007/08.

Before we went to Athens, my reservations were mainly about the hotel as a result of reading the other reviews on this site. However, for the price we paid, it surpassed my expectations. Let me therefore address some of the main issues which seem to crop up time and again in reviews here:

- Our room was at the back of the hotel, which meant that noise was not a problem at all (although I can't speak for other rooms in the hotel);
- The shower provided hot water on an intermittent basis but we never walked around smelly. Facilities are basic, but adequate in terms of what you pay for them;
- Breakfast was of the standard continental buffet variety and was more than adequate in my opinion (eggs, bread, cheese, ham, cereal, fruit etc);
- Of the four different receptionists I met at the front desk, the two ladies were very friendly and approachable, while the men could be a little abrupt at times. All were efficient and knowledgeable however;
- The area isn't the best, but to be absolutely honest if you are staying outside the main tourist areas in Athens, i.e. Plaka and the Acropolis' surrounds, this is par for the course. The city as a whole needs a good scrub as far as I am concerned. It WAS relatively safe however, though as in any other major city of the world, common sense is advised.

We enjoyed Athens on the whole. My main gripes weren't with the hotel at all. Unfortunately we found Greek food to be a big disappointment! Oh, and one word of warning: DON'T take taxis if you can avoid them. The driver will probably attempt to royally rip you off if he can get away with it. Stick to the subway. It's cheap, regular and reliable.

awful

by TripAdvisor Member gmbGermany

This is the worst 3 star hotel I have ever stayed in - it barely deserves 2 stars. The rooms are shoddy, tiny, the shower room is miserable,the staff are nice, that is true and it is well situated (the metro is close by, although the surrounding streets are really most unpleasant). But the worse is the NOISE: you may as well be sleeping out in the middle of the extremely busy (24 h) street - it is AWFUL.

Take earplugs!

by TripAdvisor Member uncletravellingmatt3

The Hotel Apollo is a very affordable hotel in a pretty central part of Athens. Walking distance to the centre of town (the area is absolutely fine; not dodgy in the slightest, typical Athenian suburb), right next to the metro, very easy to get to from anywhere. The room was acceptable, we had a triple room (3 singles) and there was more than enough space for us. Sure the shower was small as other reviews say, but this is Greece, what do you expect? We couldn't believe we had a bathtub! The room has an empty fridge which is very useful for stocking up on fruit/water. Unfortunately all these positives are outweighed by the negatives.

You definitely have to take earplugs to stay in this hotel. We were prepared, thankfully, otherwise would have had trouble sleeping. The traffic noise is incessant.

The road is so busy and polluted that the one night we had the
fan on overnight, we all woke up with splitting headaches and felt nauseous the next morning. We realised the fan was sucking the air in straight off the road so were obviously suffering some carbon monoxide effects.

We stayed at the hotel for 4 days and 3 nights. For 3 of those days there was no water so we could not shower. We completely understand that in Greece, its normal for the water to shut off, but 3 days in a row is not acceptable (especially without an apology or compensation of some description).

They were incredibly stingy. Twice during our stay we had to sneak into the maid store room to get toilet roll as this was not put in our room when it was cleaned. We never had enough towels for all 3 of us (1 day we only had a total of 2 towels). Ask for pillows as soon as you check in as there's only one very thin one on each bed. It took us 3 days to finally get a second one for one of the beds.

The staff were very nice and did ask if we knew where we were going every day and whether we needed help; we didn't but I'm sure they would have gone out of the way to make sure we were ok with Athens and its environs. Breakfast was absolutely fine – a perfect stomach liner to prepare you for your morning frappe.

All in all, though, we were very relieved when it was time to move to a different hotel on our final night which was only 1 1/2 stars and so much better than the Apollo.

hotel

hi,
we are planning to visit Athens in june 2008 (3 people).got a vacation package airfare from tel aviv to athens with hotel for triple at apollo hotel in athens.
We are going to be touring most of the day ,as anyone stayed at this hotel .

by worldinabag

Hi

Search VT or look here for reviews - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g189400-d623064-Reviews-Apollo_Hotel-Athens_Attica.html

by enysg

tq worldinabag, reviews was not so great, traffic noise etc.looking for a simple clean under $150(with tax)for triple .close walking to plaka but not in plaka and aslo near metro.Pls help .

Dear VT members,
After reading a lot ot reviews I think Pan Hotel is what I want, clean room ,good location and good rate for triple.Is there other hotels like this ?
TQ

by worldinabag

Maybe the Adrian - http://www.douros-hotels.com/view_hotels.asp?hotel_id=2

by mariakaptein

Pan hotel is also on a very busy road. Next to syntagmasquare.
maria

by bebegringa26

Im staying at the Adam's Hotel, in Plaka, small, good location, good price. Will post review the first week on April.

by enysg

tq will check those hotel

by Tipota

Difficult to find a "quiet" place in the centre of Athens. The traffic noise continues throughout the night.
We got a reasonably quiet room at the Kaningos 21 hotel. It was on the 8th floor and the windows were triple-glazed so we couldn't hear the traffic above the whirr of the air conditioning. (only ambulance sirens broke the relative silence. This hotel is about 5 minutes' walk from the Metro at Omonia Square, where there's a frequent and fast connection to all parts of Athens. (Syntagma Square is only two stops away). The staff speak English and we had no complaints at all.

We employed an official guide to look after us:
Although it's possible to make your own way around and many people speak at least a little English, our guide made it much easier to pack a lot into 7 days so we didn't miss much.

Comments