Athenaeum Intercontinental

InterContinental Athenaeum
Expedia.com Booking.com InterContinental

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• Business, Not Pleasure

Staying at this hotel reminded me of the innkeeper's song from Les Miserables: "Here a little cut; There a little slice; Two percent for looking in the mirror twice." Prepare to get soaked by hidden fees. Call me foolish for not finding the laundry price list hidden in the back of the closet, but when the small bag we turned in was billed at over $300 we got no sympathy from the management. This hotel may be the only option in town for large business conventions, but it is no good for vacationers. You have to take a shuttle bus or taxi to get out of the dingy part of town where the hotel is located (make sure the taxi driver starts the meter or they will overcharge you also). There are no good restaurants within comfortable walking distance and the hotel restaurant is as overpriced as everything else. I was told that part of the hotel had been renovated, but you have to pay extra to stay there; our room looked like a cheap motel on the Gulf Coast. Avoid this hotel.

• dgines's Profile Photo

Odd Location

While this was a great hotel, if I had to do it all again I would choose a different hotel. For the price of the Intercontinental you could find a hotel much closer to the tourists sites.

Unique Quality: Near public tram lines
    Great Lobby Area - Very Modern
    Huge Clean Rooms

• londonbabe's Profile Photo

I want to live like this always

Had to stay here recently for business.
    If you leave some laundry in a bag as you go out for the day, when you get back your jeans and shirt will have been washed, beautifully pressed and hung up in your wardrobe. Magic!
    You have to visit the bar on the 9th florr, with its view over the Acropolis. Nicest at sunset. George the bar man is adept at dishing out the macademia nuts and cheesy compliments. The house white isn't bad, either.
    Didn't eat in any of the restaurants as there are so many other good places in Athens (esp. Kolonaki and Psirri) but the sacher torte in the coffee shop looked absolutely wonderful.
    Breakfast can be a la carte, but best on expenses. 23e plus 2e service charge quickly adds up!

Unique Quality: Where else would you see the Albanian Prime Minister and the Patriarch of the Orthodox Church of Cyprus at the same time?

• belgrade03's Profile Photo

One of Athens' most luxurious hotels

I didn't have that pleasure of staying in this great hotel but had a chance to see from the close range since the dental congress was taking place here. This is a true symbol of luxury and wealth. And I heard that the American president Clinton and the famous Rollingstones chose the Intecontinetal hotel during their stays in Athens. This fact speaks for itself.

Directions: Near metro station Sygrou-Fix

More about Athenaeum Intercontinental

Hotel in Athens

by mlesliec about Intercontinental

Our rooms were great and the staff was very helpful. Great Location too. Amazing view from rooftop open-air restaurant of the Parthenon.

Great Hotel in Athens!

by TripAdvisor Member Bruinsmith

My wife and I spent two nights in this hotel in May before heading to Santorini. We stayed on the club level (8th floor) and enjoyed the free lounge and breakfast buffet with a nice view of the Acropolis. Being our first time in Athens, we were a bit concerned with the accomodations for our trip. However, our concerns were allayed upon check-in at the Intercontinental. The staff is efficient and helpful. Our room was modern, spacious and clean. The large kingsize bed was comfortable. I generally have a difficult time sleeping on hotel beds, but not here! The best sleep I had for our 2 weeks in Europe was at this hotel.

One thing that stood out was the Concierge. Simply put they have one of the best Consierge services anywhere. We had pre-purchased tours from a tour company in Athens, (not through the Hotel), and had forgotten our tour vouchers at home. The concierge located the tour company -- knew the manager there -- and had it all taken care of in a matter of minutes. We were impressed. The concierge basically runs this hotel, seemingly knows everybody and everything.

Getting around from the hotel is not difficult. If you like to walk, you can be at the Plaka shopping area in 15-20 minutes. If not, there is a free shuttle from the hotel that runs every 30 minutes. The area around the hotel is not great, but not horrible, either. My wife and I never felt unsafe as we walked in the area. However, our favorite mode of transportation to the city center was the metro train. The station is only a block and a half from the hotel and it only costs .60 -- the line ends at the city center.

The hotel was equivilant to a nice 4 star in the US. We enjoyed our stay and the staff was excellent. We would stay here again. The only downside for us was the excessive smoking. Everybody in Greece smokes. It is a smokers paradise. Being non-smokers, this was the biggest unpleasantry that we encountered. Our room was non-smoking. It was fresh and smoke-free. However, getting through the huge lobby and smokey lounge to the fresh air of our room was a minor inconvenience.

That being said, I recommend this hotel. I enjoyed my stay.

TRANSPORTATION TO ATHENAEUM INTERCONTINENTAL ATHENS

by determinetraveler

I cancelled my reservations at the Chic Hotel and decided to stay at the Athenaeum Intercontinental. Their address is: 89-93 Syngrou Ave. There is no going back on my decision as this reservation is non-refundable. I will be arriving at the airport at 2:00 in the morning. Do I still take X-95 to Syntagma and from there take a taxi to the hotel? Or is there a better a way to get to the hotel? Your comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Re: TRANSPORTATION TO ATHENAEUM INTERCONTINENTAL ATHENS

by brotherleelove

Unless your hotel has a shuttle service your only options are taxi and bus. The bus from the airport to Syntagma Square is 3.2 euro and the bus leaves the airport from outside the arrivals hall door 5 every 20-30 minutes, 24/7/365. The ticket kiosk is also out there. Validate your ticket in the ticket machine inside the bus. Then a taxi from Syntagma to the hotel won't cost too much, although at that late hour it will be double the day rate. If you were to take a taxi from the airport to the hotel it wilcost
60-70 euro

Re: TRANSPORTATION TO ATHENAEUM INTERCONTINENTAL ATHENS

by mindcrime

yes, take the bus X95 to Syntagma square and then a short taxi ride to the hotel (it's wont take more than 5' from Syntagma square so it wont cost much, dont worry).

your hotel is big, I know that many visitors use it during congresses.
It's not in walking distance from the sites but many buses pass in front/opposite the museum at Syngrou avenue, so you'll be in 5-10'(depending on the traffic) at Syntagma square during the day.
The nearest metro station is SYNGROU FIX, 600m away.

You can read my Athens page for more info but I will copy some info about transportation here:
Usually metro/subway opens at 05:00am and ends at 00:15 (02:00am on Friday/Saturday)

There is only one ticket for all transport media (bus, trolley bus, subway, metro). It costs 1 euro and it’s valid for 90minutes. You validate just once and then you can change to any of the above during these 90 minutes (not to the airport though)

Some other useful tickets/cards(not for buses/metro to airport):
24h ticket(for buses/tram/metro/subway): 3euro