Athens Cypria Hotel

Tags

Historical Travel Seniors Spa and Resort
See Amenities
greekcypriot's Profile Photo

Exceeded by Far my Expectations!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 10, 2015

I recently spent 2 nights here, however I have visited the hotel several years back when friends from Cyprus and the U.K came to visit Athens. I knew well, that it badly needed renovations so I am here now that renovations are about to finish, to check this and rate it.

CHECK-IN: Quick and efficient service and the staff extremely friendly. Along with the key-card I received a (complimentary) card which I could present to the Annabel Café Bar for a cup of coffee, a drink or an ouzo, at any time convenient to me, as a treat from the hotel. I had my bag carried and was escorted to the room.*

STAFF/SERVICE: The whole package of services justify the many repeaters. The people involved are all well trained, friendly and discreet at the same time. *

LOCATION: I believe the location could not be better for a City Hotel. Just a 5 minute walk from Sytagma Metro Station, and right on the shopping streets. It is adjacent to Ermou, one of the most popular shopping streets in the city, with several café bars and restaurants. It is also so close to Monastiraki, Psiri and Plaka. In short, it offers the Best Base for exploring all the city’s attractions and highlights.*

AMBIENCE: Entrance is from the side-street, and upon entering the building you do feel a pleasant and welcoming atmosphere. *

ROOM: The room #230 was impeccably clean and spacious, and although it lacked a balcony and view yet it did not bother me at all. With so much travelling experience and spending almost a quarter of my life in hotels I had less expectations out of this 3* hotel before coming here. However, it did not stop surprising me even when leaving the room for a stroll and coming back to find a complimentary fruit basket by the small rotunda table.*

The king size bed was quite hard but this is the kind of bed I prefer myself anyway as we have a similar at home and I had the most relaxing sleep. The sofa can easily accommodate one child.

The spacious room, the king size bed, the Coffee/Tea facilities, the Mini–bar, the digital Safe-box, and Hairdryer and the fast Internet without extra charge, are already enough to make a guest happy. And yet these are not all.

BATHROOM: A totally renovated bathroom bright and well lit, with nice and welcoming interior.
The bathroom was another surprise.
I never expected it to be that spacious, moreover to have a corner Jacuzzi with great pressure and hot water.

After the stroll and when back I noticed that the ladies from housekeeping left on the basin more extras like toothbrushes, combs, a sewing kit, slippers and shoe polish, as well as a shower cap which was missing from the previous 4* hotel I came from earlier that day! I truly could not find words to describe my satisfaction, instantly called downstairs and arranged to meet the management.

A bunch of professionals just as I expected. I had the opportunity to see several types of rooms and was informed that all old TV sets are going to be replaced soon. Shortly the entire renovations will be over. Rooms vary but are especially designed to ensure customer personal comfort and relaxation, they are nicely furnished and their interior is cozy. Some have fitted carpets, others don’t so guests have a choice.

REPEATERS: With such attention given, it is undoubtedly the reason for the many repeaters.
I met and chatted with several during my 2 night stay and everyone had a nice word to say. In fact I heard non say anything negative.
The second day the hotel was fully-booked with the majority being Cypriots, so as a Cypriot myself but living abroad I had much to talk about and I even came across some acquaintances who were here for shopping and delighted with their choice.

BREAKFAST: (7:00am – 10:30am) Taken at the Breakfast room on the semi floor which happens to be in two levels and this makes it more charming. A buffet with varied, adequate, with quality products. You could find cheese and spinach homemade pies, cakes, marmalades, cheese, Cypriot halloumi cheese, grilled tomatoes, scrambled eggs, sausages, ham and vegetables, cereals, juice and many more. Service is excellent and I found the staff friendly and discreet.

THE ANNABEL CAFÉ BAR: A cozy, pleasant café bar which is located in the corner of the central wing facing Diomias street.
Here, passers-by and hotel residents can find a wide selection of tempting cocktails, cold or hot beverages, snacks, salads, ice-cream and sweets. Open from 09:00 to 01:00. I was supposed to meet 3 friends from Cyprus so we came here for a snack.
The only flaw was that I found the interior dark. There were hardly any lights on when I went to pay the bill, but probably it was because all customers were sitting outside that time.

SIGHT-SEEING: Athens is a city which can easily be explored on foot, and the location is ideal for this. Put on your comfortable walking shoes and set out through central roads which have been transformed into pleasant pedestrian walkways. In one outing you can have it all: the Acropolis, ancient sites, museums, unique photo angles, malls, coffee breaks and of course Plaka, with its beautiful neoclassical buildings.

THE OVERALL IMPRESSION: Exceeded by far my expectations and I was delighted with this short stay. Whether you are in Athens for holidays, shopping, on a business trip, or just for a weekend to unwind, this hotel will not disappoint you. Book here and leave the rest to the people in charge. Highly recommended!

VDElvis's Profile Photo

Decent hotel in fun part of town

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 3, 2008

My wife and I stayed in the Hotel Cypria for the first leg of our honeymoon. The location was nice, close to a big shopping street, and within walking distance of sites like the Ancient Agora and the Acropolis.

There seems to be two types of rooms in this hotel: dingy and quite nice. They at first attempted to put us in a dingy room, but we complained and were put in a nice room with air conditioning (a must), a good bathroom, and almost no noise from the streets outside.

Unique Quality: The breakfast buffet here was very good for European standards. Lots of options, and open somewhat late, if I recall correctly.

marybellone's Profile Photo

Decent but pricey

by written on January 1, 2006

This was out hotel for our last night in Athens. It is on a street along with other restaurants and coffee shops which is great for location. The hotel seemed nicer in the lobby than the Plaka Hotel. The location is a little farther from the Plaka area, the Acropolis, and the metro than the Plaka Hotel, but there are all still within walking distance. The facilities were very nice and clean. The bathroom was pretty roomy and clean.
While it was very nice, it was more expensive than other hotels that are closer to some of the sights.

Directions: Get off at Syntagma Square or Monstraki metro stop

abushenab's Profile Photo

Best combination of location, value, and quality.

by written on June 24, 2005

I am a hard marker, so while this may not sound like a rave review, I highly recommend the Cypria. It is about a 5-8 minute walk from the Syntagma Square Metro station (no need to change trains when coming from the ariport). The staff is friendly & helpful, it has an above-average (for Athens) breakfast (e.g. hot food, bacon & eggs, etc.). The Cypria fronts on a pedestrian street, half a block from the (high-end fashion shopping) Ermou street, and is about 10 minutes from the (start of the path that leads to) the Acropolis. All in all, I suggest the Cypria is the best combination of value, quality, & location.

Directions: From Syntagma Metro Station, exit to Syntagma Square. Walk straight ahead to Ermou Street (you may have to zig-zag (to the right and back) to get the crosswalk). Go down Ermou about 3 blocks to Diomas, then turn right up Diomas.

mapakettle's Profile Photo

Location absolutely perfect...

by written on December 1, 2004

Our arrival at the Cypria Hotel could not have gone any smoother. Our reservations were intact, and the room was waiting. The clerk was most pleasant, cheerful, and the room was the nicest we had occupied since our arrival from Canada a year earlier. We had no income, so we were stretching our $$ as far as we could.

Management had placed fresh fruit in our room, and after our horrible ferry trip, nothing looked or tasted better. Hot showers, a quick nap, and we were ready to go exploring.

Unique Quality: The hotel is located on a small street a couple of blocks from Syntagma Square, and a half block from the shopping street of Ermou, and five minutes from the Plaka District and the archaeological sites. Location was PERFECT.

Comfortable, clean rooms, great service, and reasonable prices. What more could you want. Breakfast was included, and had a little more to offer than usual. Regular coffee, as well as the traditional Greek coffee (seen on my 'customs' page) was offered, with yogurts, boiled eggs, cheeses, cold meats, toast, and rolls, fruits, cereals and juices.

We booked this hotel through The Hotel Club, and received instant confirmation, charged to the credit card. You print a copy of your hotel voucher, with confirmation number for presentation at the hotel upon check-in. Worked flawlessly. Hotel Club was consistantly cheaper and easier to deal with.

Nearby Athens Cypria Hotel

• Business Services
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Bar / Lounge

Athens Travel Forum

Need advice about Athens, Greece? Visit the Travel Forum for Athens and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Athens hotel reviews

Favorites
360° Cocktail Bar
Sounio
Off The Beaten Path
Athens Acropolis (south slope)
Favorites