Athinas 29, Monastiraki, Athens, Attica, 10554, Greece

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 2 star hotels

• tracyskf's Profile Photo

Attalos Hotel - excellent choice of budget hotel

Excellent central location - rates are not cheap, but considered below average for the location.
    Rooftop offers great view of Acropolis, our room have a little balcony with the view too. Overall a good choice for a budget hotel. No complains except the small bathroom.

• lisha74's Profile Photo

Great value in the heart of Athens

We spent two nights at Hotel Attalos and couldn't have been happier with our choice. Clean room (with our own private balcony with a great view of the Acropolis), great location, the rooftop bar was excellent, and they offered free internet to guests. The front desk was also extremely helpful in answering all of our questions, giving directions, etc. Would easily recommend this hotel to anyone, and will definitely stay again if I ever return to Athens.

• bebegringa26's Profile Photo

Athens Hotels

Hi Mike, I also recommend in Santorini the Aroma Suites. I was just there a two weeks ago and it was amazing. Aroma Suites in located in Fira, its on the caldera and a block from the bus stop. It is walking distance to the old port. The view is amazing. The price is amazing too.

In Athens, I stayed at The Adams, DO NOT stay there. I would recommend the Pheadra Hotel, its in Plaza, great location! Great price! I tried going to the Attalos to use their roof top bar over looking the Acropolis but the front desk wouldn't let me. In my travel book, it said I could. That made me upset. Thats my only negative on Attalos. I wanted to stay there but it was booked. Location is good, right next to Monstraki metro and Pssri but I prefer Phaedra's location.

• halfdeaf's Profile Photo

A good base in Athens

The Attalos hotel is a good option for those who want to explore Athens. It's located on Athenas street close to Monastiraki on the boarder af the Psiri district. Most of Athens attractions are in walking distance. We enjoyed the stay altough we didn't spend alot of time in the hotel since we were only in Athens for 4 days. The rooms were clean and air-contitioned with a shower and a bath.

Unique Quality: The rooftop bar is amazing. With a good view over the city, Lycabettus hill and the Acropolis it's a great place to get your bearings before you head out in to the concrete jungle. It's a special feeling, relaxing on the rooftop after a hard day of sight seeing, with a cold beer and staring at the illuminated Parthenon.

Directions: The hotel is just two blocks from the Monastiraki Metro station.

• close to everything

this is the place i stay everytime i go its clean and the staff are nice and helpful. close to plaka places to eat and shop. waqlking distance to acropolis, and the main area of town... and it is enexpenisive

Unique Quality: marble everywhere, some cafe and a great rooftop bar to see the acropolis..

Directions: right out side the plaka and really close to the metro

• dstevenson's Profile Photo

Convenient and Courteous

Attalos hotel was conveniently located in Monastraki area of Athens. Only 2-3 blocks from Monastraki Metro station. Staff was friendly and helpful. No worry about losing hotel key, just leave it with desk clerk when leaving. Staffed 24 hours/ 7 days. Beds are very firm. A double is two twins side by side. $99 Euro per nite for 2 people.

Unique Quality: Convenient location. Great rooftop bar with views.

Directions: Monastiraki district

ATTALOS HOTEL

29 ATHINAS STREET

MONASTIRAKI

10554 ATHENS - GREECE

• xaroula's Profile Photo

Everyone Stays Here

I have stayed in seven different rooms in this hotel in the past few months. It is easy to reach by public transportation (2 blocks from Monastiraki metro); the staff is extremely friendly; the roof bar is really great; the rooms are simple but perfectly adequate. In two of the seven rooms, there was some sewer "fragrance" in the bathroom, but that didn't leak out into the room thankfully. All seven rooms had bathtubs. I have stayed in their singles, doubles, and triples!

Unique Quality: The Unique Feature is of course the Roof Bar.

Directions: Two blocks from the Monastiraki Metro Station on Athinas. Use the "Athinas St" exist, not the "Monastiraki Square" exit. This is the same line that goes to the airport -- very convenient!

• Jmill42's Profile Photo

Sleep On The Cheap

I haven't heard one bad thing about this place from any of the people I know who have stayed here. It is recommended by Frommers and other publications for its value and spectacular view over the Acropolis. One thing I learned is that EVERY hotel says they have a view over the Acropolis. This one is verified by quality magazines and my friends, so I feel confident recommending it to you.

Unique Quality: Fantastic Terrace Overlooking the Acropolis

• Attalos Pros and Cons

Attalos is a small hotel with some pros and cons. The location is good because it's close to the Plaka. However, it's scary to look at the back of the hotel from the window of the hotel room. You can see the neighborhood of Psiri with small alleys, rundown houses and grafities. There are 2 elevators in the hotel, so small that it only fits 2 people at a time or one person with one luggage. And yes, you have to carry your own luggage, there is no bell boy service.The room is clean, but the bathroom is so small that even a petite size person like me had a hard time getting in and out . The bath tub is also dangerously high to get in and out. I found it interesting, having a "step" built inside so you can sit down while you take your shower.
    We found the hotel staff very cold and unfriendly, especially the girl in the evening shift. Never seen a smile on her face. On our last day, we wanted to settle the payment early that night, because we were supposed to leave at 4:00AM the next day to go to the airport. My husband paid cash and she refused to give us a receipt. When I insisted and explained to her that we need some kind of "proof" that we have already paid (since she will not be at the front desk early the next day when we leave), she then scribbled down on the business card and gave it to us with an attitude of "here! get lost!"
    One more thing... When we requested the front desk to get us a cab for the next morning, the receptionist told us "It's not my job, you need to talk to the person in the evening shift" (Hello! Don't you guys communicate to each other, at all?)
    It would be nice to have somebody greeting you with a smile when you come back to your room, after a hot and sweaty day. You will not find that kind of service at Attalos.

Unique Quality: Good location, close to Plaka.

Directions: One block from Monistari Square

• gcs75's Profile Photo

A reasonable option

This hotel is very close to the Roman Agora, the Acropolis and a couple of bars - I can say it is very well located. The room is clean, comfortable (however, not big), but be careful on the balcony if you are dizzy - I had problems on the balcony on the 3rd floor...
    The room comes with a TV and air conditioner, which is some kind of basic at this category in Greece. Bathroom is ok.
    80EUR w/o breakfast (August 2005) - this should be average for a 3-star hotel in Athens.
    There is also a bar on the roof of the hotel from where you can see the Acropolis - however, we did not try.

• abushenab's Profile Photo

Beware its location

Note: we did NOT stay here, but checked it out since we almost stayed here, based on its reviews. While it is indeed close to the Monastiraki Metro Station, the Attalos fronts on a busy 4-lane thoroughfare featuring many small hardware stores etc. It has no lobby. It is right around the corner from Monastiraki and Psirri - both enjoyable places, but the hotel itself is not on a nice street. We stayed at the Cypria, about 10 blocks over, and are glad we did, simply based on location.

• Yogues's Profile Photo

Great location, helpful staff

Hotel Attalos is a very nice mid-size hotel in the heart of ancient Athens. Nothing fancy, but nice, clean rooms a five minute walk from the heart of the Plaka at the base of the Acropolis at a reasonable price.

Unique Quality: Nice view of the Acropolis.. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful.

Directions: Momastariki Square

• Erin09340's Profile Photo

Reasonable

This hotel is acceptable. Nothing fancy or special about it, except for the rooftop bar with the view of the Acropolis. But I think there are several hotels in Athens boasting the same thing.

We were in 211, a triple. I had requested a double, no big deal. We just pushed two beds together. However, one of the beds did have a sharp tear or pin sticking out. I couldn't figure out exactly what it was. I ended up sleeping on a towel in that spot.

The bathroom was clean with no shortage of hot water and decent pressure. As in many european hotels, there's no hook for the shower nozzle.

I can't bring myself to get overyly excited by this hotel or to really recommend it. But it was inexpensive, 80 euros w/o breakfast, and it was convenient. Acceptable

Unique Quality: Rooftop bar with view of Acropolis.
    Good location to Metro, Plaka, Monastiraki

• Lacristina's Profile Photo

Value, Location and A Great Rooftop Bar and View

A true bargain and decent hotel, easy to get to, and perfectly located. This hotel delivers good value, but the rooftop bar with the incredible view of the Acropolis is its best selling point. A warm, languid night of ouzo on ice, the lit Acropolis competing with the moon for top honors -- this is one of life's great pleasures!

The rooms are plain, but clean, and the bathrooms are fine. The front desk is helpful and friendly. The air conditioning worked.

One of it's biggest advantages is how easy it is to get to and from the airport. The front door is literally a hundred feet from an entrance to the Metro stop, Monastiraki. Monastiraki is at one end of the heart of the tourist area and very close to the path that leads to the Acropolis. You can walk to everything. We paid less than 80E per night for a double, and when we left early one morning to catch a flight - they offered to refund us the cost of breakfast!

I would definitely stay there again.

Unique Quality: Can't say it too many times....the great view of the Acropolis at night from the rooftop bar.

Directions: Almost next door to the exit from the Metro stop Monastiraki

• Vic5's Profile Photo

Stay here for great views of the city!

Hotel Attalos is well-located for many places in Athens. More info soon!

Unique Quality: Although the rooms are clean and a good size (with air con!), the best thing about Hotel Attalos is its rooftop bar. After a hectic day of sightseeing, it was lovely to sit up there on a warm evening, drinking cocktails and looking out over the Acropolis...

More about Attalos Hotel

roof of hotel attalosroof of hotel attalos

Attalos Hotel?

by unclebacon

Most convenient to catch a ferry from Piraeus the next morning? Any other suggestions?

by brotherleelove

It's not in Piraeus, but it's very convenient, about a 5-minute walk, to the Monastiraki Metro Station where you can catch the Green Line train that goes to Piraeus starting around 5:30 AM. The Piraeus Metro Station is very close to both the Blue Star and Hellenic Seaways docks. Other ferry companies are not far from these.

by Ouzone

The Attalos is about 2-300 metres to the Monastiraki ISAP station (Green line), It's only about 15 mins to Piraeus, first trains about 06:00. So it is conveniently positioned in Athens, there are a few closer but possibly more basic.

However at Piraeus, the ferries dock loosely on destination, NOT by ferry company. Most Cyclades Islands ferries, but not all, go from a central point E6, E7, E8(Saronic Islands ferries) on the quays near the Piraeus station ISAP(Metro). Other ferries can be quite a hike round the harbour it's about 3 Km in length.
I always ask in the ticket offices whilst purchasing a ticket exactly where the ferry departure point is.

by Mikebb

Hi Stayed Attlos Hotel 2 nights October'08 , good tourist hotel, only 100 metres from main Athens rail station, handy to catch metro train to Piraeus, maybe 20 to 30 minutes trip.

Good Luck,
Mike

by mindcrime

Which date do u plan to take the subway?

The subway is under renovation the last days and it will be until 20th of match 2009. The works take place between Omonoia and Tavros stations.

There are some delays between the trains now and some days some stations are closed (Monastiraki, Thisio etc), especially on weekends. Hopefullly there are alternative buses(every 10') that go the same route when the stations are closed. The bus number is 500A.It starts from Pireus at 05.45am and from Omonoia at 06.00am. From both stations the last bus departs at 23.15.

Last weekend I noticed 2 more buses (n.010 and n.011) that serve the route between Omonoia and Tavros but I dont know if they will be on service every weekend.

Thisio station will be closed all days during this period.

happy travels,
k

by deadhead18

Up to about four years ago we always had to stop in Athens overnight before early morning ferry to Hydra and stayed at the Noufara Hotel in Piraeus. Approx 3 minute walk to port. Tel 00 30 210 411 5541 or email noufarahotel@ath.forthnet.gr
Good luck.