Crystal Hotel

4 Achilleos Street, Athens, Attica, 10437, Greece

More about Athens

gardouba at Kapparigardouba at Kappari

Herodes Atticus Theatre (161 AD)Herodes Atticus Theatre (161 AD)

Goulandris Museum of Cycladic Art, AthensGoulandris Museum of Cycladic Art, Athens

Lomvarda BayLomvarda Bay

Where to buy train ticket from Athen to Sofia

by kwokfhy1

I am looking for a sleeper class overngiht train from athen to sofia, but sounds hopeless on getting info from www.ose.gr...anybody know where (web or agent) i can booking the ticket?

by puerto_lover

I have not looked at the newer version of Greek railways web but maybe it can help?

by kwokfhy1

just check, the english version sounds like have little version....however, i can find the schedule from the greek section but it doesnt'appear to have online booking system .

by greekcypriot

Check out this site below. It is what I found concerning this train trip you want to have.It is from Sophia to Athens though, but check the thread at the very bottom of the page.

Hope it helps you.Good luck!

Travel Tips for Athens

Thank goodness for the Kiosk a.k.a. Periptero

by BorneoGrrl

You find a Kiosk a.k.a. Periptero just about everywhere you are in central Athens. They are a godsend because they cold drinks, newspapers, magazines, snack and other small items. Very convenient when you're walking under the hot sun and get very thirsty. No need to go into a fancy cafe or supermarket to get some much needed water.

Just open the fridge door and pick what you need and pay the person behind the counter. Don't expect him to get something for you. The prices are slightly more than in the supermarket but a lot less than in a cafe.

No Brainer- Acropolis and...

by Rroja

No Brainer- Acropolis and National Museum.
... While Dad and I waiting for our sailboat, we met a local at the Athens Harbor, who let us sit on the deck of his boat to kill a few hours.
Now, for about an hour he was telling us how wonderful Greece is (I can't really argue w/ that based on my week there).

He tells us he has a 'girlfriend', who comes around, hangs out, and is a really sweet girl in general. After a few moments of praising her, he tells us that when she does visit, he gives her $50 and she treats him 'Really Well' (I'll leave that to your imaginations..). and then she simply leaves. No fuss no muss.
He offered her services to us... but we politely declined. *He said 'Come on... you're on vacation, you're rich Americans {NOT!}.. Enjoy!!!'

I smiled and asked for a 2 for $75 deal, thus I never saw my Dad w/ a more angry & stern look on his face.... *Not even from when I was 5 and stuck the garden hose through my neighbor's basement window (True story... and the faucet was on, of course)...
I don't recall why I did that, but fortunately the neighbor had an unfinished basement. ...And I was at least kind enough to baptize it.

Back to the mainline... Now being American, my ability to speak a second language is severely impaired... However, I did learn and will always remember that 'Girlfriend' is the Greek word for 'Hooker'.
:)-
-----
Ok... The week long excursion took place, and we were back to the harbor after 6 days at sea.
-----
Now, Greece still has gypsies running around... and the Athens Harbor has public showers (mens/womens).

Dad went into the shower while I waited outside with the wallets and clothing...
A whole handful of gypsies came (families.. about 12 or 15 men/women/kids...) and they went into the men's shower... and copied my Dad's birthday suit garb.
They were a'singing and a'splashin' and having a grand old time... I guess Dad was a bit taken back and thinking ' '.

I ended up confidently smirking. He came out with this look on his face... I said (smiling) 'Dad, you didn't clean behind your ears!' He growled '...and I'm NOT GONNA EITHER!'
:).

Efcaristo! (Greek for 'thank you' (I think... (like I said; I'm only sure of one small part of that language))).

Yogurt

by Arial_27

You'll find that all over Greece, in the hotels they like to serve plain white yogurt for breakfast. The yogurt by itself tastes somewhat sour, and it's also very thick. It's actually 100% natural spring yogurt that you can buy in North America but I don't know how they get the thickness in it. However, if you mix the jam they give you into it ( usually strawberry, apricot or peach) and then stir it around it will give you a really delicious taste. I promise!
I liked the sweet-sour taste so much that when I got home, instead of buying the peach Yoplait that I usually do, I got a container of Natural Spring yogurt and a jar of strawberry jam. It's really good...try it;0)

First Impressions

by cheekymarieh

My favourite view of the city is looking out to the Acropolis perched on the hill. It is such a magnificent structure which makes you wonder how all those years ago, the ancient Greeks managed to build it without the aid of cranes and other building equipment that we are so familiar with today. Unlike many other buildings it has stood the test of time. After what seemed like a never ending journey - from Rome, down the length of Italy and then by ferry from Brindisi to Patras, and then a train journey rivaling the speed of those in Britain at present, we finally reached Athens.

And there we were met with the amazing site of the Acropolis.

It made the journey worthwhile at first viewing!

Hadrian's Arch

by AndyRG

It was constructed by the Athenians in 131 AD, in honor of the Roman emperor Hadrian. The arch is crowned by a series of corinthian columns. The whole monument (as the Parthenon of the Acropolis) is made of pentelic marble - Penteli is a mountain 25 km north of Athens.
Behind this monument, the temple of Olympian Zeus is clearly visible, both of them are near Zappeio.

Comments