Dolphin Hotel Athens

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 34% less but rated 26% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Athens

Kapnikarea churchKapnikarea church

how it looks from the entrancehow it looks from the entrance

Marble figurine, Museum of Cycladic Art, AthensMarble figurine, Museum of Cycladic Art, Athens

In Dionyssos Zonar’s, AthensIn Dionyssos Zonar’s, Athens

Arriving Late to Athens on my way to Naplion

by Shanc

Hi! I'm on my way to Naplion in the peloponnese. My flight arrives in the Athens airport early morning. Can anyone give me suggestions on my best course of action?

A. I could get a hotel for the night near the airport. Does anyone have any suggestions for relatively inexpensive hotels near the airport? The sofitel is a bit expensive for a few hours of sleep.

B. I could get a hotel near the bus station (I believe that's Terminal A?). Any suggestions?

C. I could rent a car for the day and drive straight to Naplion. I'm not sure how bad the traffic is at night or if the signs are readable.

I appreciate any advise/thoughts you might have for me.

Shannon:)

by leics

Really not a good idea to drive,I entirely agree.

'Sleeping' in the airport may be a feasible option if you are happy to get no or little sleep and make an early start to Naplion.

Look at www.booking.com for hotels near the airport, although most will need a taxi. So you might be better to just take the X93 airport express bus to Kiffissou Street and stay in a hotel nearby...booking.com will help you find one. For hostels look at www.hostelworld.com and www.hostelbookers.com

Bus timetables here:

by DvaSrca

From the options you gave us, the one that is definately not good is the one with the hotel near the bus station for two reasons: Firstly because I doubt there is any decent hotel in the area and secondly because the area in which the bus station is located is really not the best possible. I don't consider the trip to be very long to do it immediately after your arrival, but if you are really tired from the flight or afraid of driving in the dark, the best option would be to take a quick nap somewhere (check booking for prices) or to sleep during the flight (if you can) and wait in the airport til daylight comes, you can drink a coffee or two to get through it. It's up to you really, a Greek person would definately do the trip immediately after the flight (if they had gotten some sleep in the airplane) but since you are not familiar with the roads, then you'd better wait for the daylight. The signs are all perfectly readable and they are everywhere, you follow the streets towards Corinthos while you are in Athens and when you lay a foot on the Peloponnese there will be signs for Nafplio specifically.

by Shanc

Thank you so much for your suggestions! One more queston. Do you know of a car rental agency that will let me rent a car in Athens and drop it off in Nafplion. I am meeting up with friends there and they will already have a car.

Shannon:)

by janetanne

I know of a car rental that will allow you to leave a car in Napflion, BUT, you will pay for the car's return to Athens. This will probably cost you totally, around 70Euros.

Perhaps you could take the train from the airport to the bus terminal where you would then take a bus to Napflion. You can sleep on the bus and not worry about driving or sleeping over in a hotel. If you want to sleep one night in Athens, take the train or the express bus to Athens, sleep over and the next day head off for the bus to Napflion.

Travel Tips for Athens

Plaka

by Ruai

Everytime I walk into Plaka I feel my troubles slip away. It is of course the premier tourist destination in the centre of the city, but I love it in all its various guises and am actually as happy to be be wandering its streets and lanes in the dead of winter when its deserted as in summertime, when its thronged with sunburnt tourists enjoying their holidays. Even then it doesn't take much to get off the beaten track and the further away from Adrianou St you get, the more you can feel you are walking back into history. No matter how many times I've visited I always find something new to see or do :-) Seeing the Acropolis from all sides and in all seasons, in differing lights, covered in snow and baking in the sun. Have to confess its the sheer monumentality of it and the ever-changing aspects of the rock that stays with me. The lighting put on it for the Olympics only enhanced its effect.

you must hike up mt....

by johntchow

you must hike up mt. lykavittus and mt. filopappoy.

mt. lykavittus gives u an amazing view of downtown athens. from mt. filopappoy, you get arguably the best view of the acropolis as well as a pretty good view of the city as it sprawls from all directions.

obviously the acropolis... the view from mt. lykavittus is unforgettable. the view is invigorating and majestic. you can see endless to all directions.

Walk around Athens after...

by maxovna

Walk around Athens after dusk. We wanted to get to Acropolis and lost our way. Athens is very hilly, we were climbing up a hill being sure it was Acropolis, but when we reached the top we understood we were wrong - a breathtaking view opened in front of our eyes: Parthenon like a bright spot rather far away from us, Acropolis was not seen in the dark and it seemed the temple was living in the clouds. It's amusing how the Greeks park their cars almost in vertical position on the hill slopes!

Poste Restante

by physiar

If you want to receive mail while in Greece but will have no fixed address (or your accomodation does not accept mail). you can have it sent poste restante to the main post office on Elou (just off Omonia square). You must however present your passport upon receipt. And the postal system in Greece may be sluggish at times (especially with international mail items), even during low-peak periods...

The temple of Olympian Zeus

by AndyRG

The temple was finally completed by the Roman emperor Hadrian in 124-125 AD. A colossal statue was inside this largest temple of ancient Greece, which was surrounded by 104 corinthian columns (17 m tall). It was 96 m length...
You can also see at this archaeological site the ruins of other temples, roman baths, even gates of the city wall of Themistocles...

Comments