18 - 20 N Nikodimou St, (formerly Golden Tulip), Athens, 10557, Greece

Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 21% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Central, clean, comfortable with wonderful service

Electra Palace Hotel Athens was a fabulous place to stay. Originally I booked it only for the rood top view of the Acropolis but it turned out to be a wonderful place to stay too. Our booking included a full buffet breakfast which was an excellent way to start the days full of site seeing. The roof top pool was great too. It is located centrally for all your site seeing needs and the streets of Plaka and Monastiraki are wonderful for wandering around and getting lost in. We were quite close to the troubles going on in Syntagma Square but apart from taxis being unable to drop us off at the door due to road closures, the proximity did not affect us at all. Highly recommended!

Unique Quality: Roof top pool with a view of the Acropolis - Breathtaking!

• Central, clean, comfortable with wonderful service

Unique Quality: Roof top pool with a view of the Acropolis - Breathtaking!

• aquatic's Profile Photo

Right in the heart!

It's right in the heart of the city - Plaka. You'll see the Akropolis from every street here. We walked everywhere we wanted.
    Cleaneliness! Nice interior! Service! Sauna! Indoor pool! Real flowers everywhere.
    Gym is kind of small, though, but I never saw anybody there.
    The only thing that bothered me: the smell of a smoke. We lived on a non-smoking floor, but it didn't help. On the coldest night, I had to close the balcony door and woke up with awful headache.

Unique Quality: Breakfast is something special. Everything you need: tasty fried potato, fried or boiled eggs, mushrooms, sousages (2 kinds), fresh orange juice, cherry juice and others, good cheese and ham, nuts and dried fruits, jam (3-4 kinds), pastries, cereal, tosted bread... And it's not even the whole list. Good start of the day!

• hidden gem

Its a fantastic hotel for tourists - right in the heart of the Plaka area, walking distance to the museums, Acropolis and Agora etc. Walk no more than 200 yards and you are right amongst the tavernas shops in Plaka along a quiet street. We just returned (July 2007). The hotel facailities are very good, maybe not up to the Hotel Grande Britanne but it has many plus points. - Location and the fantastic roof top views of the acropolis. They have recently installed a roof top pool which was a welcome relief to cool off after siteseeing. Rooms were the same as any other other hotel and can't see how others can complain of it being small. You must request a room with a view of acropolis to get one and many of the rooms have balconies. The hotel made our stay in Athens a welcome and relaxing one given the fact that we were travelling with 2 teenage boys.

More about Electra Palace Hotel Athens

The Hilton. Fairly pricy but...

by MrGQ

The Hilton. Fairly pricy but has all the amenties you will need. Plus LARGE balconies with a great view.

Electra Palace: walking distance from Syntagma Squar.
On the expensive side but the location and view make it worth a look at. It also has a pool on the roof!

Nico I need something down to earth!
Try Carolina Hotel! Cheap but don't expect any luxory. Small rooms, no A/C but in the $40 range!
A lot of students stay there. Make sure you make reservation well in advance .. like 3 years ahead! :)

Syntagma Square

by Sharrie

SYNTAGMA SQUARE is probably the most recognisable area in Athens after Acropolis & Plaka. As with any other squares in the world, it's the place where people congregates after work or during lunch. To me, the metro station here is one I came most to during my stay in Athens. If I can find Syntagma Square, I can orientate myself to this chaotic city ;-)

The Parliament Building & the Grand Bretagne Hotel (incredibly expensive hotel!) are also located around Syntagma Square. Some other hotels that may interest travelers around this area are: Electra Palace, Arethusa & one of the Grecotel chain of hotels.

Nice experience!

by aquatic about Eat at Milton

We asked for a copy of their menu, but waitress refused to give a copy. Obviously they think that Eat at Milton is very original and interesting place. Not for a New Yorker, though. It is not a traditional greek food place. However, everything I ate here I liked very much. I took 7 pictures of everything we ordered so you can judge at list by them.
I would say, the place is nice, small, but nice and romantic. It is located in Plaka was close to my hotel Electra Palace. It is not cheap, but I guess, appropriate for Electra customers:)) We ate:
Valeriana Salad with asparagus, fennel and horseredish
Lamb shank
Yogurt parfait with caramelized cake with TOMATOE marmelade (was very good and surprising)
Panakotta Kahlua (also very good)
Chocolate Mousse - the best I ever tried.

Fantastic Service, but over priced.

by TripAdvisor Member chizam

You can't beat the service at the Electra Palace Hotel. People from the hotel were always looking to assist us. We found the hotel itself to be very average. The room was standard - nothing spectacular. We expected a bit more based on the reviews and the price. The fresh squeezed orange juice was wonderful, but that was also characteristic of every place we stayed in Greece. We also stayed in the St. Georges Hotel which was quite the opposite. Fantastic rooms, average service and a whole lot of attitude. For the price, $50/night cheaper, I'd take the better room of St Georges despite the attitude. If you do go to the Electra Palace Hotel, take the time to sit out in the courtyard in the morning. It is very beautiful, and it was fun to watch the children at the neighboring school. I would strongly recommend the islands as well, where you can get twice the value at half the price.

Sophisticated Hotel with Excellent Service

The Electra Palace is an extremely gracious hotel with a high level of service. The standard single room is tiny by most US standards, but it is organized in such a thoughtful and intelligent way that the size is not much of an obstacle. The staff are universally helpful. The breakfast buffet is interesting and has selections to satisfy a wide variety of nationalities. The sophisticated lobby is welcoming and quite beautiful.

I would, however, give dog lovers a warning about Athens: it is filled with abandoned animals, which is quite upsetting, and, for me, was a constant shadow.

Wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member Zona1

The hotel, Electra Palace, in Greece was excellent. The room was very nice, non-smoking, with beautiful solid cherry furniture with beige and soft blue bedding and carpet. Nice marble bathroom. Breakfast buffet was excellent-eggs,bacon, sausage, fruit, pastries, different juices and cereals. The orange juice was fresh. The wait staff bring in a basket of oranges and dump them in the machine and you can watch them being squeezed. The dining room decor is lovely with crystal or glass chandeliers over each table, very comfortable upholstered chairs and fresh flowers on the tables. View of the flower garden from the dining room. On the roof top there is a cafe in the summer time with a view of the Acropolis and the city of Athens, others seasons you can go up on top of the roof to enjoy the view. Dave and I took a picnic lunch up there one afternoon. The bellstaff were very helpful and even told us of some museums to go to and what days we could get in for free. We found a wonderful restaurant in the Plaka area near where our hotel was located called Tavern Erato.

What a great deal in Athens!

by TripAdvisor Member mommylovestotravel

We stayed at the Electra Palace Hotel on a leg for a long European vacation, and after having stayed in quite a few Athens hotels over the years, I was pleasantly surpised at what a wonderful place this was! In the past we stayed at the Grand Bretagne Hotel, and in my humble opinion, this far surpasses in both location and quality (however in all fairness the last time I stayed at the GB was in 2001 prior to all the Olympic rehabs).

The rooms are adequately sized. We booked a double room overlooking the Acropolis which is well worth it. Cocktails on the balcony overlooking this amazing site was, well, amazing! On our last night we were upgraded to a suite, which if you are staying for a long period of time would be worth the investment. We had one additional family member joining us on the last night which would have definitely been cramped in the original room (typical Americans--we like lots of space!). The suite was perfect with the balcony facing the Acropolis, a living room area with a small couch bed and a bedroom with a queen.

The breakfasts were fabulous. Coffee was spectacular if you like it strong, which is much needed for those hikes to the Parthenon and various venues. The location is unbeatable. You are right in the center of the Plaka so you can walk to various restaurants and shops.

The recently rehabbed hotel has a small pool in its lower level, along with a workout room, steam, sauna and spa. The kids loved the pool (ages 3 and 6), and it was a welcome relief to the hot Athens sun. The workout room had a decent amount of equiptment, although we were always too pooped to use it by the end of the day.

We return to Greece annually to visit relatives and always make a stop in Athens. This hotel will now be the annual Athens residence for us for its price, quality and proximity to the Plaka festivities. It was terrific and I highly recommend it!

Location, location, location

A few minutes easy walk from the Plaka, the old restored part of Athens with shops and wonderful outdoor restaurants--outside of the ruins, this is all of Athens you need to see. Very elegant, great views of the Acropolis, although from the back side. Breakfast was huge but lacking in flavor. Staff very helpful and enjoyed my fledgling Greek.The room was smaller than what Americans are used to but lovely.

Choice of Restaurant for Dinner

by LWheeler

We have one night in Athens and would like to have dinner at a rooftop restaurant with great views. We are currently considering the restaurants at the Hotel Grand Bertagne (we have been there once) and the Hotel Electra Palace (where we will be staying this time). Suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Choice of Restaurant for Dinner

by brotherleelove

Consider Orizontes at the top of Lycabettus Hill with a wonderful sunset view of the city.

Comments