Exarchion Hotel

stevemt's Profile Photo

So So Hotel

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 13, 2011

Hotel was OK I guess, but in a rather seedy part of town. I would not have been at all comftable going far at night.

Service was good, breakfast was good, room was clean and spacious.

Fabulously friendly helpful staff in a SUPER hotel

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 25, 2010

Absolutely wonderful here at the Exarchion hotel - couldn't be bettered, regardless of price. Immaculately clean, very comfortable, well organised, up to date amenities, terrific location right in the heart of the city - and best of all, the friendliest, most helpful staff anywhere! They made our stay there an absolute pleasure and nothing was too much trouble for them to explain or do for us.

We wouldn't hesitate for a moment to highly recommend this hotel to others, especially those who wish to be at the vibrant centre of Athens life - we want to be back there asap!

Unique Quality: The friendliness and helpfulness of the staff is the really outstanding feature here, although the location is great and the rooms extremely clean and good, the staff could not be bettered anywhere. Their street terrace is lively and the hotel's sandwich/pizza bar is excellent, both in quality and price (as can be seen from the steady stream of locals there). The nearby streets are full of interesting shops, tavernas and cafes. A major metro station is a few minutes walk away and taxi's abound.

murta's Profile Photo

Would stay here also next time!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 8, 2009

The location was perfect. We could walk to most of the tourist attractions. And travelling as a group of two females and a male, we never felt unsafe around Exarchia. Even late at night. Free Internet access is one of its pros. Most importantly: The staff was very very friendly! If we go back to Athens, we would stay here again.

You might hear some noise from the cafes in the square below. As long as you close the window and open the A/C, this shouldn't be a big problem. You cannot expect to be in such a central location but not to have any noise. At least not in Greece!

Unique Quality: The staff was very hospitable and the view from the roof terrace at night is really nice. I also liked the neighbourhood!

Directions: Right at Exachion Square, walking distance from Omonia Square but still safe area.

Kaspian's Profile Photo

Hotel Exarchion

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 30, 2007

The wild dogs of Athens are barking below my balcony and from the sounds I can only imagine a pack of werewolves fighting it out. I would be aggravated if I hadn't already had 6 hours sleep.
This hotel is funny! I laughed a lot after checking in. The lobby is very nice--warmly lit and decorated in a mostly tasteful fashion while the rundown yellow walls of the hotel's dark upper hallways are hung with cheap black-and-white posters of old Hollywood comedians--Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, and WC Fields. On reaching my room, I guffawed out loud when I saw the flimsy broken doorknob and it took awhile fiddling with the keys before I could get the door to finally open.
My room was surprisingly clean! Although the simple furnishing looked old--just a small lamp like one would normally throw out. The television doesn't work at all. The bed is a simple wood frame--small and hard. But the sheets and pillows look brand new and are very clean. Extra pillows and blankets in the closet.
The bathroom's also rundown but very clean. The shower stall is so tiny--I don't know how a fat guy would even fit inside. There's a strange window in my shower and when opened it looks out into another room's shower. "...Excuse me, do you have some soap I could borrow?"
The view from my balcony is bizarre. I can see rooftops, some with tables where people are sitting and drinking. Little did I know several of these terraces would become nightclubs and blast music long after the sun went down.
Exploring the hotel, I want to see if I can get onto the rooftop garden which is shown lavishly on the Exarchion's web site. I climb the stairs as high as they'll go but I'm met by a locked door. There's an electrical panel here with a bunch of exposed wires.
In the morning, I go for breakfast and I'm the first to arrive in the dining room. It's a gorgeous little room! It seems completely out of place with the rest of the hotel. There's coffee, tea, toast, and muffins to choose from.
I didn't expect much from this hotel because it was so cheap. I only wanted it for a one-night stay and it served that purpose well. But I wouldn't stay here for any length of time.

Nearby Exarchion Hotel

• Room Service
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free Parking

Athens Travel Forum

Need advice about Athens, Greece? Visit the Travel Forum for Athens and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Athens hotel reviews