Hilton Athens

Tags

Food and Dining Business Travel Spa and Resort
See Amenities
greekcypriot's Profile Photo

For Business & Pleasure, Perfect in Every way!

by written on January 13, 2015

I happened to be on a business trip to Athens in December and booked 1 night at the Hilton.

If you are after Steady Value and Excellent Accommodation don’t hesitate to book here. If you are not convinced ….continue reading. The name itself stands for excellence, quality and personalized service.

LOCATION: It prides for its superb location. It is only a 25 min. drive from the International Airport and also very convenient for those using the metro and train - Evangelismos drop off station!
Being a central hotel it is close to the most highlighted attractions of Athens and the shopping and cultural district.

CHECK-IN: Quick and efficient. I came across happy and smiling faces something that was missing since my last visit the previous year. I guess the reception staff got their lesson. I was offered to be escorted to my suite on the executive lounge but by now I am well accustomed as to how facilities in the rooms function so I got in the lift and by putting in the slot my suite’s card I was taken directly on the 12th floor. This is done for privacy and security reasons, thus nobody has access to the executive wing unless they have a key pass.

STAFF/SERVICE: I can definitely use the word professionals for the entire team this time. I was made feel valued and respected and experienced an unparalleled level of personalized service excellence. As for the staff on the executive wing, well I cannot thank them enough for making my short stay memorable.

EXECUTIVE BENEFITS: Besides the private check-in and check-out at the reception area of the luxurious Executive lounge on the 11th floor, the team is there to assist with restaurant recommendations, sightseeing planning and airline re-confirmations. They are alert each morning from 06.00 to 23.00 hours.

Guests can enjoy extensive continental breakfast from 07:00 to 10:30 on weekday and from 07:00 to 11:00 on weekends. Light snacks and beverages are available throughout the day until 23:00 and delicious evening offerings as well as a bar set-up area at guests disposal from 17:00 to 19:00.
The other option for breakfast is having it at Byzantino. Residents of this wing are able to invite one guest or colleague to the lounge any time of the day, however for any additional guest they are charged according to their consumptions.

Access to the Hiltonia Spa besides the Honored members have all guests of the executive wing. A very private and quiet environment that definitely worth the little extra.

SUITE: I had suite #1208 this time. Can you imagine the view from the 12th floor?
Dusk at the Hilton Athens is an experience in and of itself. The view of the Acropolis, Lycabettus and the entire city from above becomes even more beautiful, as the sun sets, and becomes magical when the lights come on. Imagine this with the Christmas street lighting and decorations…the experience is certainly at its best! Guests on this wing can enjoy total privacy, wireless high speed internet, hair dryer, slippers and bathrobe, as well as newspapers.

BATHROOM: No Jacuzzi, but a separate bath tub in the main bathroom next to the sink with the amazing complimentary brand of toiletries –the popular British products of Peter Thomas Rorth. The shower gel has the most outstanding fragrance of tangenrine. Guests are really pampered out here! The walk-in shower cabin with a rainforest shower system is already enough to make guests happy.

BREAKFAST: I had to choose between two options –either having my breakfast at Vizantino with the bigger variety or have the continental selection and enjoy the panoramic view of the 11th floor. I chose the latter since I could not only find everything I needed, plus nespresso coffee, pies, ample of fruit and fresh fruit juice. It was so serene and quiet on this floor that I would not miss it for anything.

BYZANTINO: I have had mostly business lunches out here in the past but just dropped by for a few photos this time. It continues to be popular for decades due to the fact that it maintains its high quality and excellent service. The restaurant is considered the preferred meeting place for the Athenian elite since 1963 and it seems that never did it rest on its laurels. It rather adapts with the times, which dictate competitive prices without concessions on quality.
The lounge has a welcoming aura, decorated with comfortable sofas, ideal for large groups. It welcomes smokers who have access to the atrium housing the centuries-old olive tree, which is also the symbol of the restaurant.

GALAXY: Dining at the Galaxy is on its own a challenge with its revitalized minimal and elegant decor. Imagine how magic this can be when dining on the 13th floor that offers the “widest” view of the city, from Lycabettus and the Acropolis to Mount Hymettus to the sea at Piraeus. With the cosmopolitan atmosphere, one can easily come across celebrities out here. The view is stunning and after dark the Hilton rooftop transforms into a singular setting under a spectacular display of enchanting stars. Words cannot do it justice unless you experience it yourselves. (check for my review)

WI FI: There is a €20.00 fee for a 24hr. internet connection for guests staying on other floors, however the connection is free in all common areas.

HILTONIA SPA: I lost myself for a few hours out in the heated indoor pool that measures 16 by 9 metres. Natural light is a feature of this pool which includes counter current swimming machines, therapeutic massage whirlpool wall jets, floor bubbler, water curtain and exercise bars. My free time was so little that I had not even time to get to the Silent Room where guests can relax in heated chairs and enjoy a cup of hot tea. Neither did I have time for a visit to the sauna or the steam room unfortunately. I spent however the first 5 minutes in the Jacuzzi but it cannot be compared to the pool with the jets, so I left the Jacuzzi and used the entire time of my precious few hours out here and never regretted it.

PACKAGES: Be sure to check for special package before booking. There is undoubtedly something for everyone.

IN ALL: Whether you are planning a special occasion, a business trip, or simply to unwind, book without hesitation. The Hilton has to be a top contender. I like to feel at home when I am away and I felt that the Hilton is as personal as it gets. I felt spoilt with all the care and attention thanks to the whole professional team. Thank you guys!

greekcypriot's Profile Photo

Consistency in Quality & Service,-High Standards!

by written on March 10, 2013

We spent 2 amazing nights at the Hilton on a business trip a couple of days ago. The name itself stands for excellence and somebody coming here expects consistency in quality and service and literally this is what he gets.

Location: It is only 25 minutes away by direct subway from Athens International Airport. There is also a bus stop for the X95 bus from the airport just outside the hotel entrance.
Situated in one of the city’s most fashionable avenues it is conveniently located near the metro station (Evangelismos) which provides quick and easy access to the most popular sights in Athens. It is a 10 minute walk to Syntagma Square, and another 5 minute walk to Plaka. This makes it a wonderful base for short or long stay in the city of Athens. The shopping and cultural district is in short proximity so this makes it the perfect location.

Staff: I found the majority very friendly with an exception of one or two persons at the reception desk that should try at least to smile. If you talk to them however they are friendly and they will go out of their way to help you but still guests expect happy faces at the front desk, the first impression plays a significant role! In all, I can say they are a bunch of professionals especially the younger generation and the ladies of the management. Every employee I came across had the same helpful attitude that makes guests feel welcome. Indeed they shape experiences in which every guest feels cared for, valued and respected.

Aethrion Lounge: It is located in the lobby and it is the meeting place of high-profile Athenians. Guests can relax in a soothing sophisticated setting enhanced by snug couches, wooden floors, diffused lighting and LCD screens. It is the ideal spot to relax, read your paper, enjoy an aperitif, have a light snack of Japanese delicacies, or simply enjoy your cup of tea or coffee.

Here on Business: It is more of a hotel for business travel so if you need to schedule any business meetings why not do them here. The hotel is unique…probably the best!
Choose from the 22 modern meeting rooms with capacity for 2 to 1.300 people, supported by state-of-the-art facilities and professional team. I know this well from previous visits and the Hilton offers a wide range of versatile venues to suit all needs. The rooms are flooded with natural daylight and supported by the latest equipment, while the professional Team Members of the Hilton are always handy to ensure that everything runs smoothly.

Room: We had room #944, a Standard room this time but honestly I did not find a single difference to the one we had a year back when we stayed at the executive wing one floor above. It was exactly the same size with the same facilities. The difference of course is the extra amenities that are provided and by all means I am not referring to the Suites!
The room has a style and sophistication, featuring contemporary décor with an abundance of natural daylight, with distinct emphasis on comfort and tasteful elegance. What more would one want!
As a person who loves photography I was able to get some beautiful photos of the sunset over the Acropolis.
The double-glazed windows kept traffic noise and the drilling work from the outdoor swimming pool away. It was spacious and spotless with the double bed in a dominant position, crisp linens and several pillows for an extra comfort. The heavy curtains prevented the morning light so we could sleep longer. The sound proofing on the door/walls and ceiling was perfect. The room had a wooden panel floor and I prefer it to the ones with carpets because the room can be cleaned better. The sliding cupboard had a light and was functional and there was an iron and board in there. There is of course a work desk, a flat-screen TV, safe, coffee/tea facilities….highly appreciated, a sofa and a small round table.

Tips: Remember to have the chain behind the door just in case somebody accidentally comes in. Sometimes you might not hear the knock and the staff thinks that nobody is in and they gate-crash inside. It happened to us twice but there was no knocking at all. Staff should learn to knock on before entering!

The downside is with the price of a small bottle of Evian which is at 7.50 Euro. It could be a bottle of Greek Mountain water instead which is just as good, especially with the economic crisis, to highlight Greek products. I know this is difficult because the Hilton is a chain-hotel and there are rules behind, but this is only a thought.

I cannot comment negatively like most other guests about the price of products in the mini-bar because this is something that it is normal and it is expected. Mini-bars are always expensive and guests should comprehend this. We, guests have the alternative to buy water, chocolates, or anything from the neighbouring kiosks or market. I honestly cannot understand all this fuss about it. I truly compassionate the management having to justify all the time the same understandable things.
Guests should also have in mind that there is a camera inside the mini-bar so the moment something is taken out even for a second, or to make room for what the guest wants to store, the credit card is automatically billed on the guest’s account.

Bathroom: A good size marble bathroom with both a bath tub which was a delight and a walk-in Rainforest Shower system which I loved! This kind of shower truly adds value and I can tell that I have come across several through my extended stays in different hotels as a Travel Guide Writer, but the one out here honestly stands out. I consider it the highlight of the room. The feeling is similar to a SPA experience as well as providing a practical solution for two people to shower at the same time. What a treat!
Of course I need to mention the new toiletries which are by far better than the ones the Hilton had for years. They are the Peter Thomas Roth from the Mega-rich collection. I found them simply amazing and they smell like fresh tangerines! The body wash gel contains green and yellow micro beads with vitamins. This is the other treat for the guest!

Tip: Only 1 shower gel for two persons is provided -this is not enough but you can easily ask for one or two more in case you need them instead of complaining about lack of toiletries when back home. The ladies at the house-keeping will be more than happy to help you.

Breakfast: The first meal of the day at the Byzantino restaurant is sumptuous and there is everything for everyone enough to fill you up till dinner –a paradise of cereals and dry fruit -a choice of home-made bread/cakes/rolls/croissant/muffing. It is indeed extensive including Japanese and vegetarian, Western Europe and American items both hot and cold. The quality is great. Try the Greek rice pudding presented in small clay bowls, the Greek feta and amazing Greek honey and have some fresh orange juice. Coffee is strong and really hot…just amazing.

Bizantino: This restaurant combines a touch of glamour with modern design and it is a point of reference among Athenians. It is a timeless institution patronized by politicians and celebrities alike. Don’t be surprised to come across one or two while you are there!
In an elegant, open, curved room that lends movement and imagination to its sleek steel, glass and wood interior. Be sure not to miss the Sunday brunch if you are at the hotel that day. It is considered one of the best in the city. I have had it with friends once and I can assure you of that. The cuisine offers an exquisite selection of Mediterranean dishes.

Galaxy Bar and Restaurant: The Bar is on the rooftop and it is the favourite hangout of celebrities. The setting is inspiring and at the same time contemporary chic. It serves a tempting array of finger foods, light snacks and sushi. Have in mind that prices are a bit high but it is an experience to be cherished.
Check my extended review with the latest dining experience under the name of the Restaurant. The view is stunning and after dark the Hilton rooftop transforms into a singular setting under a spectacular display of stars enhanced by a magnificent view of the Acropolis.

Milos Restaurant: It seems like a restaurant of the Hilton but it is not. It is totally another business. We dined here one of the days we were at the Hilton –check my review under the name of the restaurant. Loved every dish, and the restaurant prides for its fresh ingredients, Mediterranean dishes which are mainly Seafood.

Hiltonia SPA: With a fee of 15 euros a day, guests can use the indoor pool, the steam room and sauna. I cannot comment on this because I did not use it this time. Guests who can afford these extras can spoil themselves with a full spa day, designed to beautify and pamper.

Internet Price: Internet connection costs 20.00 euros/ 24 hours.
Public Areas: 20.00 euros/ per 24 hours. F&B outlets: free.

Tips: Guests who stay at the Hilton for a week for example and want to try one or two nice restaurants where they won’t be ripped off, I recommend a few I know well. Try the Vezene Italian restaurant which is on the side of the Hilton, and for authentic Greek cuisine and warm hospitality check for Dimitris & Grigoris restaurant –cheap with fine Cretan ingredients. If you are vegetarian try the Avocado. Take a taxi for less than 8 euros, or the metro and get to Trykiklo for traditional Greek cuisine. Panayiotis and Maria are amazing hosts and if you are lucky you can find live guitar playing and singing. (Good value for money)

There is also a local grocery store near the Hilton -ask info from the reception, or get to the central fruit market and get some local flavour, buy anything you wish for very little!

In all everything was just as it should be for a hotel of this class with functional amenities for demanding guests! We enjoyed our stay and long to get back.

attilaalgan's Profile Photo

My choice in Athens

by written on November 2, 2007

I had been to Athens many times and stayed in many different hotels but I think Hilton Athens has the best price / comfort ratio. It is fairly new after a recent rennovation. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. I also prefer it is location as it is in the center. One issue is that the street that the hotel is on is famous with its demonstrations and in times of demonstration you might have some traffic jam. The only negative comment I can make is its restaurant. The lunch there is open buffet and it is too expensive.

BorneoGrrl's Profile Photo

Good location, modern hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 27, 2007

I got a very good rate to stay here in July 2007. Since I'm a Hilton HHonors gold member, I got an upgrade to the executive floor plus access to the executive lounge but not the one with the Acropolis view, maybe because my original booking was just for a standard guest room.

My check-in was smooth, but the reception wasn't as warm maybe because they were busy with some VP coming in that day (Angela Merkel or Germany's president, I think). My room was excellent, a big comfy bed not the typical twin beds put together) and bathroom with a big tub & nice shower. Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries came with the room which was great. I had a nice view of the Kifissias area & I can get the Acropolis view whenever I went to the executive lounge. They also gave me complimentary fruit basket & a bottle of wine.

The breakfast at the executive lounge was nothing to shout about because it's mainly cold stuff but it was enough to get me going for the day. I also tried the infamous Milos restaurant which served some pretty good food, even when I arrived late around 10pm.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at the hotel with the exception of expensive parking (27 EUR per day) & internet connection.

Unique Quality: Location wise, it's only one train stop away from Syntagma Square so its not as noisy as downtown. You take a 5-min walk to Evangelismo metro station to town or direct to the airport, which is convenient. The National Art Gallery is just next door and the hotel is close to the US Embassy.

View of the Acropolis at night from the executive lounge or the Galaxy Bar is great, especially when you want to unwind with a drink after a long day

Directions: You can take the train straight from the airport to Evangelismo metro station. From there, walk another 5-10 min to the hotel which is close to the "Runner" glass sculpture

Athens best hotel

by written on October 7, 2006

The service was excellent, and the facilities are excellent as well. It has various excellent bars, various excellent funtion rooms, and a beautiful swimming pool at the roof top.

Unique Quality: It has great views all over Athens from the rooftop and the food is excellent. Also the function rooms are great for usage.

The best

by written on July 14, 2006

I have never stayed in the Hilton obviously, but I go there for coffee and meetings often. It is definitely an amazing hotel. The lobby alone is beautiful. It has a very nice restaurant called Byzantium, and on the top floor it has a night club. I haven't ever seen a room, but from what I here they are fantastic.

Directions: Pankrati

Hilton (Deluxe)

by written on August 25, 2002

**** Important Notice **** The Hilton Athens has temporarily closed due to a major renovation programme that will improve all guest rooms, meeting spaces and restaurants. The Hilton Athens team looks forward to welcoming you to our new hotel in January 2003 onwards. The Hilton Athens faces the ancient monument of the Acropolis, situated in one of the city's most fashionable avenues. Located close to the city centre, opposite the National Art Gallery and within walking distance of major companies, shopping areas and Embassies. Presenting 517 newly designed spacious rooms, including 19 luxury suites, offering spectacular views over the city and the ancient Acropolis or the mountains of Hymettus. With a collection of 14 newly designed meeting rooms, incorporating Hilton Meetings, business centre and vast exhibition space, the Hilton Athens is an ideal choice for the conference organiser. A selection of 6 restaurants and bars awaits you to try some of our Greek speciality dishes, or relax by the swimming pool which boasts to be the largest outdoor hotel swimming pool in the city.

Christianne's Profile Photo

• Kitchenette
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Athens Travel Forum

Need advice about Athens, Greece? Visit the Travel Forum for Athens and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Athens hotel reviews