10 Syngrou Avenue, Athens, Attica, 11742, Greece

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• iaint's Profile Photo

top class

This place is wonderful.

I arrived hungry and exhausted about 10pm (local) after a long and fraught trip from Scotland. I just dumped my stuff in the room and went straight to the rooftop restaurant. I then had my breath taken away by the stunning view of the floodlit Parthenon. Dinner could have been beans on toast for all I cared.

In fact the dinner was excellent. A light prawn & cheese (true...) salad. Really delicious. Then fish soup. Also superb. A couple of glasses of white wine to wash it all down, and I was feeling brand new.

The hotel location is ideal - round the corner from Acropolis and Plaka. The rooms are excellent - stylish, spotless and comfortable. The service is friendly, efficient and relaxed.

My room had a picture window (and full length balcony) with an astonishing view out over the Temple of Zeus to the Panathenaic (Olympic) stadium.

I liked almost everything about the room - the lighting, the bedding, the view, the balcony, the shower, the toilet...

My rate included the buffet breakfast - also complete with a daytime view of the Acropolis. The breakfast is also very good.

They charge for wifi, but offer a PC in reception for free use by guests.

DK’s “Top 10 Athens” guide rates it among the top 10 high end hotels. I’d go along with that anytime. I was about €100 per night booking a month in advance for late December 2010.

Unique Quality: Style, service, location, value for money...is that enough to be going on with?

Directions: About 200m from Acropolis metro station, opposite the Temple of Zeus.

• konejos's Profile Photo

Good Athens (Greece) hotel

Although I recommend the Athens Gate Hotel and would stay there again, there were a couple of things that perhaps could be improved on. People say how good the breakfast was. Well, it was very average but compensated for by the fabulous views from the breakfast room of the Parthenon and other ruins. The wi fi should be free. You buy a wi fi card -- 5 Euro for 90 min., 10 Euro for 200 min. and a lot for the entire day. The other little problem was the elevators. There were two small elevators for something like 59 rooms. During breakfast hours this was a bit of a problem.
    The good things include the hotel being very clean, very friendly staff (in fact I liked the Greek people, in gereral), super location, nice public area, a short block to the Placka area, near a metro stop, and fantastic breakfast room view. I liked the hotel and staff a lot. Also there was a stocked mini bar in the room and a safe.
    The rooms without a view, most inexpensive run about $160/night for 2 persons. Other rooms run about $100 a night more

Unique Quality: Fantastic view from the breakfast room of the Acropolis and Parthenon. Also great views of other ruins.
    The location can't be beat. Short walk to the Plaka.
    A very short walk to the new Acropolis museum and close to the Akropoli metro stop.
    About 5 block walk to Syntagma Square. Bus X95 runs from the airport to Syntagma Square. The cost of the bus is 3.2 Euros per person.

Directions: About 5 blocks from Syntagma Square and a short block to the Placka.

• rstary's Profile Photo

Beautiful Location with Rooftop Views

I thought this recently renovated hotel was wonderful. It was directly across from the Temple of Zeus and easily reached by metro from the airport. We were well received by the front desk and the room was spacious and the bathroom and shower facilities much to our liking.

Unique Quality: They have a wonderful rooftop view of the Temple of Zeus and the Acropolis. Their breakfast (included) is at this rooftop restaurant. It was a wonderful place to have cocktails in the evening and enjoy the breathtaking surroundings.

Directions: Temple of Zeus

• siver's Profile Photo

It is basic

It is budget type, decent room, right across street of Zeus temple, metro 1.5 block away. Has a bar at the top of the hotel, nice views (day and night) of the city and the Acropolis.

More about Hotel Athens Gate

Good Athens (Greece) hotel

by konejos about Athens Gate Hotel

One suggestion, turn right going out of the hotel for about a block and there is a great restaurant set back a few meters in a green area. This was much better than any food I had in the Plaka. The food was great and the service even better and the cost was very well worth it. Fantastic view from the breakfast room of the Acropolis and Parthenon. Also great views of other ruins.
The location can't be beat. Short walk to the Plaka.

top class

by iaint about Athens Gate Hotel

This place is wonderful.

They charge for wifi, but offer a PC in reception for free use by guests.

Only one slight drawback - it is on a very busy street so if you can’t cope with 24 hour traffic noise, it’s not for you! They may have some rooms at the back, but they may not have the views... Style, service, location, value for money...is that enough to be going on with?

The Athens Gate Was Great

by TripAdvisor Member Paul5795

We traveled to Greece on Christmas day, and stayed until January 4th. We spent the first two nights in Athens at the Herodion hotel, took a private taxi tour into the hinterlands, and then returned to Athens and stayed at the Athens Gate for the last four days of our Greece trip.

Altough the Herodion was fine, the Athens Gate was superior in almost every way to the Herodion.

The Athens Gate location is super, right across the street from the Temple to the Olympian Zeus and just around the corner from the Acropolis metro stop. Syntagma square, with the tomb of the unknown soldier, Parliament, and the President's house, is just a short walk down the street. The Plaka is also just a short walk away, and the entrance to the Acropolis maybe a ten minute walk away.

The staff was helpful, providing us a converter plug when we needed it. The rooms (we had two, one for us and one for our kids) were very modern and of decent size (for European hotel rooms). They were recently remodeled, and very quiet. The beds were firm -- which my wife and I appreciated for our older backs.

The bathroom was the biggest we had during our Greece stay and very well appointed. The shower was very nice. It was the only one on our Greece trip where we didn't get water on the bathroom floor every time we used the shower.

The breakfast, which came with the room, was excellent. The rooftop restaurant has a stunning view of the Acropolis, the Temple of Olympian Zeus, and huge chunk of Athens. For some reason, the hotel is a bit taller than all the surrounding buildings, don't know how they got the zoning for that, but it was appreciated.

If we come back to Athens, we will stay here again. I have no idea how the star rating system is supposed to work, but I don't understand how the Athens Gate can only rate two and a half stars on some websites, such as Expedia's, when a hotel like the Herodion gets three or even four stars on some websites.

athens gate location location location

by TripAdvisor Member AOzzieTraveller

After many hours of reading reviews, studying athens sights, reading more reviews decided on 2 hotels Athens Gate and Athens Calliirhoe, so glad we chose the Athens gate. It is central to the main sights of Athens, very easy to get to from Airport, just jump on the Metro its just a short and easy 3-4 minute walk from the Acropolis station, so after a long flight and early morning arrival it was totally stress-less to get to.

Hotel has a modern interior and look, a little minimalistic but a great hotel, rooms again are modern style, typically European in size (maybe just a shade bigger) so call it a medium sized room. Bed comfortable and Queen size (not doubles together) Bathrooms have either Shower or Bath depending on what you like, ours just had shower but big and lots of pressure. We had a room which had a view of the Temple of Zeus (hotel front) on the 6th floor with a balcony, definately recomend this view it is far better than the one looking to Acropolis (back side of Hotel), if you want a view of the Acropolis go to the restaurant on the roof.

Breakfast is good, European (cold meats, cheese, breads etc), with a little touch of American (eggs and sausages), great coffee and great view while you are eating.

Easy walking to Temple of Zeus, Acropolis, and the ciy centre, walk the little alleys and you find lots of little shops and restaurants for lunch, dinner etc

The only thing missing was Tea/Coffee facilities in the room, which would be a nice touch, especially in the morning when you first wake, or late at night sitting on your balcony.

All in all a GREAT comfortable hotel in the perfect LOCATION.

2 Travellers from Australia

A Terrific Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member LillianNYC

We just returned from a week's stay at The Athens Gate Hotel. This is a modern hotel located near the Acropolis metro. Our medium size room was very comfortable with a queen size bed (not 2 twins pushed together), flat screen TV and balcony overlooking the Temple of Zeus. The mattress is very comfortable. The bathroom had a shower and a window looking into the bedroom(designed for young lovers!). Although the room and hotel face a busy street, our room was quiet. The complimentary buffet breakfast, served on the rooftop terrace, has a spectacular view of the Acropolis on one side and the Temple of Zeus on the other. The rooftop terrace has both indoor and outdoor seating. Be sure to go back at night for the view. The buffet breakfast prepared by Deena is delicious (spinach and cheese pies, pastries, rolls, yogart and fresh fruit, cereals, eggs and breakfast meats). The location is very convenient. The entrance to the Acropolis is around the corner behind the hotel. Its a short walk to Plaka, Monastiraki, Syntagma Square and Kolonaki. The hotel staff are wonderful...especially JoAnna, Lambrose, Stella and Deena. They were always so helpful and gave us good suggestions and directions. And taught my husband how to speak Greek! I chose this hotel based upon reviews I read in Tripadvisor and asked my travel agent to book it. I'm glad I did and I highly recommend staying at this hotel.

One of the best euro hotel experiences of my life

by TripAdvisor Member Seattle_Traveler1977

If you need a place to stay in Athens, look no further this is the BEST choice.

The location is perfect (at the base of the Acropolis and on the edge of the temple of Zeus), the accomidations excellent (fully remodeled in the last 6 months), and staff delightful (ignore that other review saying otherwise...we LOVED the breakfast folks and the desk staff helped us get ferry tickets, book tours, find restaurants, and had taxis waiting whenever we needed).

I truly fell in love with the details however: like the Apivitia products they stock in the bathroom for free. These shower gells, shampoos, lotions etc are so divine we went in search of the store itself and spent several hundred euro on everything we could lay our hands on.

If you hate smoking you'll tire quickly of most places in Greece (the grecians smoke before, during, and after every meal...and then obsessively in between. its allowed everywhere) but the Athens Gate is largely smoke free. It became an oasis for us.

The food at breakfast too was fantastic. Your choice of eggs, meat, cereal, pastries, juices, fruits etc. All freshly prepared and all while you gaze at the Acropolis or the temple of Zeus (the view is nearly 360 degrees of athens).

While breakfast is provided other meals are not, but dont pass up room service or a trip upstairs for dinner. The mushroom/chesnut risoto was to die for. We also enjoyed the restaurant for New Years and were impressed with everything.

One thing that took some getting used to...was an internal window from the room into the shower/bathroom. Not exactly sure what its for, but if you aren't comfortable being fully exposed to everyone in your room while you shower you'll have to figure something out (stack your luggage there or ask your roommate to step out for a bit) But this is NOT a reason to skip this hotel.

4 of us stayed in two rooms and honestly I can't imagine our Athens experience without the Athens Gate Hotel.

Bottom line book this hotel NOW before the rest of the world discovers it.

Excellent Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ComoxValleyGirl

We just spent 5 nights at the Athens Gate (December 28-January 2 2008). Can't say enough good things about this hotel - rooms were modern and tastefully decorated (boutique style), staff was friendly and very helpful, and the location is excellent - across the street from Temple of Zeus ruins (which our room looked out on) and close to the entrance to the Plaka district of Athens. From the rooftop, we looked directly up to the Acropolis and again onto the ruins of Temple of Zeus. Only thing I might suggest is staying on one of the top floors as we were on the 2nd floor and if you are a light sleeper, you might hear the traffic. However, the windows are double glazed and do cut out most of the sound so we weren't bothered. Anyway, we will definitely stay again at this hotel next time we are in Athens - it's a winner :)

Impressive ancient views in a modern hotel

by TripAdvisor Member climber_in_CH

We spent 4 nights at the Athens Gate over a long weekend in January and thoroughly enjoyed the property and the attentive service. We booked two rooms and they had a handy feature: they were at the end of the hall and a hall door could be closed to create a 'foyer' for the two separate rooms.
The furnishings were in great condition, like new. The bathrooms were modern with much marble. Unfortunately the shower (no tub) had only a partial (glass) wall to contain splashing water. We have seen this before and find that no matter how careful one showers, a fair amount of water ends up splashed on the bathroom floor. A big improvement would have been to make the wall half of the shower width to contain more splashing. The view from the bathroom, room or balcony was impressive; the Temple of Zeus across the street. Rooms on the back side may have Acropolis views. The staff at the desk encouraged us to ask them for any assistance and we did have some 'getting around' questions. If they didn't know the information, they researched it for us and gave us accurate information. The hotel is also able to connect guests with any Chat Tours. The included breakfast buffet was fresh and varied with great views from the 9th floor; three styles of eggs, sausage, bacon, pancakes, cereal, cheese and so forth. I might mention that the hotel is on a busy street and traffic noise is nearly continous Saturday night. Rooms on the back side must be quieter.

Room at Athens Gate overlooking Temple of ZeusRoom at Athens Gate overlooking Temple of Zeus

HOTEL ATHENS GATE

by mcwhiting

I am staying in Athens, Greece for the last 3 days of my vaction and am looking for a place to stay close to the Platka and the Acropolis. Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Athens Gate? or any suggestions. Thank you

by brotherleelove

These hotels are all close to the Parthenon/Acropolis and the Plaka as well as the Metro Station (Monastiraki) to the Ferry port of Piraeus and the airport, and the Airport Express bus (E95) station at Syntagma Sqare.

Pan Hotel, Arethusa Hotel, Metropolis Hotel, Amazon Hotel, Cecil Hotel and Attalos Hotel.

by Kakapo2

I have stayed at this hotel ten years ago, and then it was rather basic but ok. The sensational thing was that I had a room in the 7th floor with a huge roof terrace and direct view to the Acropolis. That was just incredible. The Plaka is just a stonethrow away, as is this - if I remember right without looking into a book - Hadrian's Arch (just across the street). The location is fantastic, and if you are in a floor high enough it feels like five star accommodation LOL

by mcwhiting

Thanks so much for help. Info is great.

Lee:

Thanks for the help. Its been fun looking them all up. So hard to make a choice.\

Comments