Hotel Fivos

Based on 114 reviews
Budgetplaces Hostelworld.com
SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Hotel to AVOID in Monastiraki

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 23, 2006

I stayed at Hotel Fivos for 1 night in June 2006.

I'm struggling to find any positive things to say about my stay here, but I have managed to find a couple of saving graces:

i) I'd only booked one night here;

ii) My miserable stay here enables me to build this tip so that no other VTer will ever have to spend a night here!

At a cost of 45 Euros a night, I got a small, ill-furnished single room with a shared bathroom on the 5th floor of a hotel with no lifts.

Room

My small room consisted of a bunk bed, a few sets of drawers thrown haphazardly into a corner and a broken glass lamp. The tiny window in my room looked into a storage cupboard. The walls were dirty, the ceiling was crumbling and there was no air conditioning. I got the kind of room that I would have expected if I'd paid 10 Euros a night, not 45 Euros!! You'll get a MUCH better room with a private bathroom at the nearby Tempi Hotel or Hotel Carolina for just an extra 5 Euros a night - see my other tips!

The shared bathroom consisted of one toilet, one sink and a shower attachment. These totally inadequate facilities were for the shared usage of the entire fifth floor (some 9 or 10 rooms). I did at least get a towel upon arrival.

Hotel

My room was on the fifth floor....but this hotel has no lifts. I therefore had to drag my heavy bag up five flights of steep stairs. You can purchase breakfast from the canteen area on the first floor. I didn't bother to do so, but when I walked through the canteen in the morning, the selection appeared very limited. In all honesty, this place is a grotty hostel....but with hotel prices.

Unique Quality: .

Staff

Unlike a lot of the reviews that I have read on this hotel, I actually found the check-in staff to be quite helpful (they were able to tell me the best way to get to the airport by public transport). However, upon returning to the hotel at around 2:30am (I decided that I'd rather spend my night in an Internet cafe reading VT than spend any longer than necessary in my room!), I expected the 24 hour reception to be open. It wasn't. So I rung the doorbell. Several times. I then pounded the door with my fists. Several times. Eventually, a member of staff came to let me in....and to chastise me for banging on the door so loud instead of using the doorbell. She pressed the bell to show me how it should be done.....and there was no sound! There was no apology either, just a feeble "it was working earlier" and an implicit suggestion that maybe I'd somehow broken it!

Pros

Location

The hotel is located literally a two minute walk from Monastiraki metro station, making it very convenient to get to and from Piraeus on the metro and to see the sights of Monastiraki and Plaka on foot. However, I would happily walk 10 miles NOT to stay here again! Besides, there are far better options available close by (see my other hotel tips for examples).

Cons

Room - dirty, practically unfurnished, tiny, awful value for money.

Lack of lifts - there are 5 floors in this hotel...and no lifts to any of them!

Shared bathroom facilities - woefully inadequate for the number of rooms that they serve.

If, in spite of my review, you are still considering staying at Hotel Fivos, at least read other travellers' reviews here:

If you choose to listen to only one of my tips on VT, make sure it's this one!! DO NOT STAY AT HOTEL FIVOS UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO!!!!!

Directions: Located a 2 minute walk from Monastiraki square and metro station.

Nearby Hotel Fivos

5 Photos of Hotel Fivos

View Professional Photos

Athens Travel Forum

Need advice about Athens, Greece? Visit the Travel Forum for Athens and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Athens hotel reviews