Hotel Joker Athens

AMOMA.com Hotelsclick.com Otel.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Good For No Data

More about Athens

spice and herbsspice and herbs

Socrates' prisonSocrates' prison

Stathatos Mansion, Museum of Cycladic ArtStathatos Mansion, Museum of Cycladic Art

Exterior, National Archaeological Museum, AthensExterior, National Archaeological Museum, Athens

Trip from Athens to Istanbul

by NYTim

Is it possible to travel by ferry or other water conveyance from Athens/Pireaus to Istanbul?
Thanks in advance.

No there isen't.

You can take the overnight train though and that is a nice trip.
I did that myself two years ago and really enjoyed it.

Trip from Athens to Istanbul

by INSULARIUS

No, there is no passenger water connection from Piraeus to Istanbul!

Maybe, once upon a time that there was a boat, but it took so much time to get there, so it was not sustainble, financially.

You can travel by plane and takes only 55 minutes to get from Athens to Istanbul.Every day there are a lot of flights carried out by Olympic Air, Aegean or Turkish Airways.You pay a little more, but you save precious time (think the hours you have to spend at customs)and retain your peace of mind!

Kalo taxidi!

by NYTim

I like the train and the boats. Speed is not essential as we enjoy the journey. Last year we took a train From Chicago to Seattle and we loved it.

by cachaseiro

The overnight train from Thessaloniki to Istanbul is really nice.
I did the trip with a friend and we had a real good time there.

by NYTim

Tel me more: beds food etc. I am beginning to get excited

by cachaseiro

From Athens to Thessaloniki there was a real nice dining car where we spend most of the trip.

From Thesaloniki to Istanbul they had a steward walking around selling food and drinks all night and we spend a great deal of the night in another compartment chatting to nice girls.

by NYTim

Are there sleeper cabins?

Yes there are.
In fact this was the only thing we could get and we were quite happy with that.

by janetanne

Hey Claus, do you remember how much you paid for the train to Istanbul and how long it took? Also, where did you buy the tickets? Thanks for the useful information. Do people also know that they could go from Pireaus to Chios, Kos and Rhodes island and then take a short ferry boat across to Turkey?

by cachaseiro

I paid around 80 euros for the overnight train and i cought it on the spot at the train station the day before departure.

Travel Tips for Athens

Statues and Memorials - Melina Mecouri

by littlesam1

One of my favorite things to do when traveling is to find memorials and statues in the cities I visit. I found this bust of Melina Mecouri near Omonia Square. I have always been fascinated with Melina Mecouri and always admired. I remember seeing her on televison when her citizenship was revoked in the late 60's saying "I was born Greek and I will die Greek". She was a very dynamic lady. She returned to Greece years later and became a member of Parliment and later served as the Minister of Culture. She was an outspoken advocate for the return of the Greek ruins housed at the British Museum. Outspoken and brave I have admired her for years. It was a great joy to find this memorial to her.

Athens Tip

by gnt70

I have lived in Athens - Greece all my life except small intervals that I was away. It's funny but you realise that you don't have enough photos from your home city. It is out there and it will always be so you never make photos. :-)
I'll try in the near future to enrich this page with useful information and pictures.
In this photo I'm standing on the hill of Acropolis, It was early November but as you can see it was sunny. Few places have such a climate like Athens. The sun never forgets this city - they say that it is sunny 300 days per year!

Nasty Surprise

by bakpakchik

After years of dreaming that one day I would stand under the Parthenon and look up at the columns in reverent awe ... this came as a rather nasty shock. They were getting ready for the Olympics. The scaffoldings ruined a dream of a lifetime. I was bitterly disappointed. This must have been a better place in those days .... back when the peplos was still the height of fashion ;)

The 11th and the 12th...

by Michail

The 11th and the 12th centuries are said to be the Golden Age of Athens' Byzantine art. Almost all of the dozen most famous and important Byzantine churches in Athens, were built during these two centuries, and owe their origins to the Christian restoration that followed the campaigns of Emperor Basil 11 in the Balkans. Some of the best known monasteries were also founded in the same period in the environs of Athens.

Akropolis

by Carmela71

Once up on the Akropolis, you would be impresed by the Parthenon, the greatest monument of Doric architecture in all Greece.

No photographs and no descriptions can prepare one for the Parthenon's columns.

Comments