Hotel Poseidon

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 27% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Athens

Little MitropolisLittle Mitropolis

truly a grand entrancetruly a grand entrance

Goulandris Museum of Cycladic Art, AthensGoulandris Museum of Cycladic Art, Athens

Latini restaurantLatini restaurant

Safe hotels in Plaka

by DryasAnne

I have just reserved 8 nights at Omiros Hotel, Apollonos 15 (Plaka).

Do you have any experience with this ? Is it safe, is it noisy, etc...

How far is it from Parthenon and Hadrians Arch?

by leics

I have not stayed in the hotel but have stayed very nearby.

The area is safe enough, as long as you use normal city common sense. Athens is a noisy city, but your hotel is not on a major road so it should not be too bad.

It's not in what I would call the Plaka district, but is perhaps on the very edge. It will take you about 15/20 minutes to walk to the Acropolis entrance (for the Parthenon) and perhaps 10/15 minutes to walk to Hadrian's Arch.

by DryasAnne

I am a farmer, living on the countryside in Norway :-)

My ONLY excperiense from citylife, is London and Paris, 2 stays at one week each, in 2010.

My second experience from citylife is Rome. I stayed for 7 days now in January, I walked the whole citry, from Janiculum to Spanish steps, from Vatican down to Lateran and Via Appia.

I felt safe all the time, except from the evening I walked from Lateran to Manzoni, the neighborhood around Manzoni was a bit scary (at 2100 hours when I walked down to metro)

In general, I felt comfortable with my citywalks in London, Paris and Rome, thus I want to see Athens before I get my retirement....

Ok, I understand. Well 'normal city common sense' for me means:

Keeping most of your money/cards/valuables in the hotel safe (or your room safe) or (if you cannot leave it at the hotel) safely on your person in an under-clothing pouch or hidden pocket.

Only taking the cash/cards with you that you will need for that day, and spreading these out on your person.

Keeping aware and alert at all times. Not making eye contact or talking with beggars, touts, hawkers or anyone who tries to distract you: just say 'No thank you' and keep walking.

Being especially alert in crowded situations.

Being aware of who is nearby when you use an ATM. Not being obvious with expensive cameras, phones, jewellery.

Having bag straps across your body, and holding the bag in your arms if it is very crowded.

Not leaving anything on the back of your chair, or on a cafe/restaurant table.

Avoiding dimly-lit or deserted areas after dark.

Not using a bum-bag, which marks you our immediately as a visitor (and they are very easy to steal/steal from). Keeping valuables in a daypack on your back is also not a good idea, as they too are easy to steal from in crowded situations.

This applies to any big European city/town, not just Athens. As a solo middle-aged female I've not had any problems anywhere I've visited, but I do always follow my own advice. :-)

by leics

I too am a city-walker, by the way. I'd far rather walk than use bus or metro.

Travel Tips for Athens

Frape coffee, a Greek institution !!!

by starstudio

A true Greek obsession,
frappe coffee is the highest selling cold drink of
the summer. Definitely not as sophisticated as
cappuccino or espresso, it’s made of Nescafe’s
instant coffee, water and ice. Shaken, not
stirred. Sugar and milk are optional.
You can order it in any café, or even
buy it in DIY packages in kiosks. Keep
in mind the frothy drink is not for the
faint-hearted: Its flavour is intense and
may prove heavy on the stomach, so you
might consider accompanying it with a
light snack from the menu. When ordering
one, you should say if you want it sweet
(glikos), medium (metrios) or without sugar
(horis zahari) and also if you want it with milk
(me gala), or black (sketos).

Then sit back, drink it slowly over the next couple of hours and do some people-watching. Every café in Athens makes a decent frappe, but the best people watching can be done in Kolonaki, Thisio and around Syntagma square.

Athens has more museums than any place I have seen

by Kodi01

There are many things to do in Athens with many museums. I went to the Benaki museum the first day. Very excellent museums in Greece!

I went there my first day of arrival and it was just a start of what my eyes would see of the history of this country........I was amazed. I also saw the first Greek priest also seeing the history in the museum. Everyone wants to see this famous history.

Neoclassical Trilogy Explained

by physiar

When you read of the Neoclassical Trilogy, the author of the piece is referring to a collection of three buildings - the Academy of Arts, the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens and the Vallianios National Library.

In order to reach the Trilogy, you may use the metro (station Panepistimio (panepistimio means university in Greek) is just across the street.

The three buildings are a fine site and should be viewed with gusto - for this I recommend taking a walk around and find a shaded corner from where to admire the harmony and peacefulness exuded by the Trilogy.

Recommended as part of a 'Walk Around Town' outing.

Irine_29

by Sharrie

Irene is the 1st Greek VTer I met in Athens. She was referred to me by Martin (Martin_S) since beginning of the year when I first planned for a visit. We had corresponded sporadically but generally we like one another. Yes, Irene? :-)))

My 1st impression? She's petite & very beautiful! Charming lady. We get to know one another pretty well over the course of the coffee frappe at Piraeus & proceeded to dinner after that. Thanks, Irene for your warm hospitality & for making me feel at home in Greece! May all your dreams come true & many happy travels in future :-) Hope to see you in Asia one day! or perhaps again in Greece ;->

Exhibitions inside it...

by AndyRG

The picture was taken in January 1996, at an interesting exhibition about the 100 years of cinema (Orson Welles' "Citizen Cane", 1941) at Zappeio.
As it is a large building, many important exhibitions are held there, congresses too... The entrance is free.

Comments