Athens Hotels

Our Members Say

• rexvaughan profile photo rexvaughan
  • Reviews: 1138

Phidias Piraeus Hotel: Great stopover for Piraeus Port

This hotel has everything you could ask for. It is newly renovated so the rooms and the reception/breakfast areas are bright and immaculate. If are departing for a cruise early, the shuttle service starts at 5:30 a.m. and it is only about 10 minutes to the port. The breakfast is good and extensive: breads, cereal, eggs, sausages, orange juice and coffee. It is conveniently located for the port and offers free shuttle service there. To top things off, shortly after returning for dinner, one of the staff knocked on our door with a small bottle of wine and two glasses – a gift from the hotel.
It is in a pleasant area of Piraeus and just around the corner from a nice café-lined marina or bay.

• Related to: Photography, Historical Travel, Arts and Culture
  • Written March 30, 2014

• rexvaughan profile photo rexvaughan
  • Reviews: 1138

New Acropolis View Central Loft: Great view, large apartment, reasonable cost

I can’t say enough about this lovely apartment we booked through airbnb.com. It completely lived up to its billing. We had a fairly large living room, kitchen, nice bedroom and bath with the bonus of a covered terrace looking out over the city toward the Acropolis and Lycabettus Hill. There were a couple of nice small places to eat just down the street and it was a nice quiet neighborhood.
The owner, Ignatios, met us there and was one of the most gracious people I have ever met. He asked if I liked Greek coffee, so, not really knowing how different it was from Turkish, etc., I simply said I liked all coffee. So he immediately produced a small bag for me to take home. He also said he could save us both money if I would take his extra cell phone to use while we were there and for me to call him at any time, which I did only a couple of times. He arranged for a taxi to pick us up for departure and the driver called me on Igantios’ cell phone 5 minutes before arrival. While it did not include a complete breakfast, Ignatios left milk and juice in the fridge as well as coffee, bread and jam his mother made, and cookies for our consumption. All of this for about $60 per night.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Arts and Culture
  • Written March 29, 2014

View from inside

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

The Athens Gate Hotel: A little Gem of Hospitality- Superb Location!

It can be considered both a Family oriented and a Business clientele hotel. Even though it was fully renovated 6 years back, it is SO NEAT, and spotlessly clean that it seems like it was only renovated a year ago! It is a non-smoking hotel and its modern simple touch of the interior is cozy and functional.

LOCATION: I can give one word for its location….SUPERB!
It is just 500 metres from the Acropolis, only 100 metres from the New Acropolis Museum and a 10 minute walk from the bus stop where you get the X95 from/to Airport for 5.00 euros. In this case there is no need to worry about taxi fees which would have cost you more than 40.00 euros –one way!

It is so close to the Commercial centre of Athens and yet away from the area where once in a while demonstrations take place. It is only 1 block from the Athens Acropolis Metro stop. For tourists who have just a couple of days, even hours but want to see much and on budget with no time to waste in transit, this is the ideal hotel to stay with no regrets.

WARM WELCOME: I was touched by the warmth of their welcome here from the moment we stepped in until we left. We were offered cold fresh water and ‘loukoumi’ –a turikish delight! I am indeed surprised why it is called turkish delight since it is Greek!! In minutes we were up in our room with no delay.

STAFF & MANAGEMENT: I can highly speak of the friendliness of the Staff and Management –happy faces, impeccable service, professionalism and open-hearted people that indeed made our stay unforgettable. The guys at the reception are eager to help with knowledge of the round area so the guest can rely on their precious tips.

You see, “Attention to the Guest” is the first Priority out here, with many guests keep coming back for years. Repeaters are upgraded depending on availability.
For the last 4 years I have been the Local Expert of Greece and Cyprus on a site that has to do with tourism, and with my expertise knowledge I try to help and advice visitors with tips and suggestions that will make their trip more interesting. When I come across tourists in hotels I like chatting with them trying to dig out possible negatives from their stay or from their trip. Well, I chatted with several out here and there was not even a single person to mention something bad regarding this hotel. On the contrary they were sorry that they had to leave and only wished they were able to stay longer.

I noticed that the staff works on the least detail for the comfort, preference, taste and style of each and every guest. The people at the reception -I remember Kiki and Stelios but even though I miss the names of the rest they were all amazing. I had a long chat with Chrisa the young lady at the Bar on the Top Roof, I also talked with Dimitri Tsivikas, Thomas and Michali, and George Kaloudis. I found them skilful, professional and very attentive. Keep up the good work guys!

ROOM & BATHROOM: We had room #605 overlooking the Temple of Olympian Zeus. It had a minimalistic feel. I cannot say that it was big but it was spotlessly clean, functional, and comfy. I loved the idea of the oblong window by the bathroom wall. It made the bathroom brighter, and I could have my shower and at the same time watch the news, or enjoy the spectacular view of the ancient temple and greenery extending through the wide balcony window.
The bathroom was quite large with a centre piece of furniture with shelves for the towels which were bright white and fresh.
Toiletries –the “Karavaki” brand were ample.

Double-glazed windows keep traffic noise away ….but I always carry my earplugs just in case! Rooms on the lower floors surely have more noise so have a set of them in case you are given a room on a lower floor. Coffee/tea facilities are only provided in the suite but as a traveller again I have my own miniature kit for my afternoon coffee. Of course there is the alternative of the Roof Top Bar where you can enjoy your drink overlooking the spectacular view.
COMPLIMENTARY TREAT: I appreciated the two tiny dark chocolates and the sachet of lavender I found on our Queen bed…for sweet dreams! A nice gesture indeed!

FACILITIES: There was a safe in the room, a mini bar, a hair dryer and a flat T.V. set. Huge mirrors –on the whole surface of the wardrobe proved handy as well. I asked to see a few rooms just to have the whole picture of what the hotel has to offer and out of the 99 rooms, 60 have Queen beds, some are twin bedded, but the one and only Junior Suite has a Jacuzzi bath tub and shower, -the bathroom of the suite overlooks the Temple and the beautiful path park beside it. I also asked to see a budget room which I found indeed beautiful, spacious and comfortable with the only negative that overlooks walls. This won’t be a problem though if you are busy all day long and out of the building. All rooms are identical in size, décor and colour with the only difference those in lower floors overlooking buildings. It certainly worth paying some extras for a room with a view!!
All rooms are equipped with an electronic sign system next to the door for the “Do Not Disturb or Make up the Room”.

FOYER: It has great contrast to the outside pavement on the high road, the foyer opposite the reception desk has a modern touch, and it is comfortable with a wall fireplace. This must be extremely popular on cold winter nights.

LOUNGE: The lounge on the side of the ground floor is nicely furnished with comfy sofas that blend perfectly with the modern stylish interior. There is a smaller corner bar out there where I had a cocktail and my husband enjoyed his snack the second day of our stay. The service was great.

Wi Fi CONNECTION: High speed Wi Fi is available throughout the hotel. In the lobby and restaurant/bar for free. (There are two computers in the lobby with a printer). You can purchase an internet card from the reception for use in the room and the cost of course varies. For an hour it will cost you 4.00 euros, for a whole day it is 14.00, the two day card costs 24.00 and for 4 days the cost is at 36.00 euros.

CONFERENCE ROOM: Just above the reception desk on the mezzanine level there is a reception area with a Conference and Meeting Room which can accommodate up to 100 people. Services include a quick and convenient copy service, and fax. The whole area is ideal for hosting a conference, organize an event, or arrange formal dining.

BREAKFAST: In an attempt to congratulate the Chef for the excellent cuisine and an amazing breakfast I had the opportunity to meet Stratos. Breakfast out here was honestly beyond my expectations –everything was fresh and delicious and the variety rich.
It is actually an American Breakfast based on Greek fresh products of the best quality. I loved the idea of ‘koulouri’ and ‘bougatsa’. I urge you to try both. Spinach pies with puff-pastry were also delicious. There was a fresh chocolate/vanilla cake daily, orange and grapefruit juice, sausages, omelette, rice pudding, honey and fresh seasonal fruit, amazing coffee, cereals and milk and many more. I was not happy with the fried eggs though because the yolk was dry. (Omelette however was good)!

THE VIEW: I have never before been to a restaurant as close to the Acropolis as this one -Listed as #4 Roof Top Views of the World! The view is spectacular no matter what time of day or night you come here. It is no need to get out searching for a restaurant with a view if you have all this at the place where you stay!
TIP: Between us, restaurants in the touristy area of Plaka are not only expensive but a rip-off. At the same time you cannot be sure of the quality of food offered. I am talking about the spots where tourist agencies book to host tourists and you don’t see Greeks around. Try to avoid them!
The view of the city from the hotel's Roof Top is possibly the BEST in the whole of Athens.

EXPLORING/ROUND AREA: Be sure to have on a pair of comfortable walking shoes. Central roads have been transformed into pleasant pedestrian walkways but if you plan to walk up Plaka’s steep alleys you will surely need them.
Besides the Syntagma Square and the House of Parliament the National Gardens, the Temple of Olympian Zeus, Hadrian’s Gate which are all in short proximity you can take the way around the Acropolis Hill –known as the Archaeological walk of Athens” as it passes through the most significant ancient sites of the city, giving the opportunity to start the tour from many different points. The ideal part of the tour starts at the Acropolis Metro Station and ends up at Monastiraki. In other words, -a circular walk along 3 pedestrian roads. Dionisiou Aeropagitou, Apostolou Pavlou and Adrianou.
Tourists can use it to visit the Acropolis,Dionysus Theatre and the Acropolis Museum, the Acropolis Monuments and the famous Agora. It ends up at Thission and the Temple of Ifestos, -an area full of spectacular views of the Acropolis, with many café bars and the popular Monastiraki Flea Market.

I mentioned above that the location of the Hotel is simply superb because with one outing the tourist can have it all: the Acropolis, ancient sites, museums, unique photo angles, coffee breaks and a stroll in Plaka, with its beautiful neoclassical buildings. I urge tourist to use the subway to return back to the hotel in case they start feeling tired!

In all, I highly recommend the Athens Gate Hotel for all the above reasons and I will definitely return. Thank you guys for making our stay interesting….especially the guys at the bar and restaurant.

• Related to: Photography, Archeology, Family Travel
  • Written April 12, 2013

Our room #605

• kilit profile photo kilit
  • Reviews: 13

Acropolis Hill: Acropolis Hill

Very happy, simple but nice hotel. Don't expect too much. Provides nice and clean room with free wireless. And basic breakfast.

It's in walking distance to all historical area like Acropolis, Museum and Plaka. And much cheaper comparing in Ermou Street. If you don't want to climb to hill on your return at night, take a taxi for 3-4€.

• Related to: Museum Visits, Historical Travel, Archeology
  • Written December 24, 2012

Aquamarina Hotel, Nea Makri: A Nice Gate Away, I highly recommend it

We just returned from the Aquamarina Hotel where we spent 3 amazing relaxing nights. The reason I booked here was that I had to visit Nea Makri and Mati, to see what the area has to offer, take photos and write about everything in my Guides. I take seriously the comments written on TripAdvisor and for this reason I am careful where I book. I also know well how to set apart those comments made from people whose only aim is to harm a hotel from the ones who write the truth. In this case I did not regret booking here at all and our stay was wonderful.
The hotel belongs to the Xenotel Grouphotels S.A. and the Aquamarina is the newest hotel of the company with a long –over 30 years presence in the tourism field. With all these years of experience a pleasant stay at any of the hotels is a guarantee.

Upon arrival the front desk staff without delay handed us our keys and indicated how we get to our room- #304 which was on the main building. I noticed that personnel are multilingual and besides Greek guests there were other nationalities too, with the majority of French. The staff proved very helpful guiding us with the correct information about distances to different places we wanted to visit, and places of interest in the round area which I had no idea that they were so close to the hotel.

On this first visit we were mostly enjoying outdoor activities taking photos and visiting places of interest in short proximity to the hotel, however I want to come to the hotel again in winter as I believe the strong point of the Aquamarina is its amazing SPA. I just could not resist the beauty of the round area at this time of year, with the beautiful beaches, -in some places sandy and in others deeper waters with rocky coasts.

I asked to see the Spa to know what to expect on a coming visit. The indoor Wellness Centre is the perfect place to relax and revitalise your body. In winter the indoor swimming pool has heated sea water and is equipped with hydro-jets. Besides the hammam and Jacuzzi rooms there is a fitness room with a fully equipped gym and a couple of massage and treatment rooms. The amazing of all, is that residents have these facilities for free without any extra cost -something which I come across in other hotels that I visit. Treatments are upon request and on appointment with an extra charge of course! The Spa is open between 12:00 until 20:00 for adults and 12:00 to 14:00 for children.

The hotel consists of two fully remodelled buildings and it stands out in the area. It is open all year round and it has a traditional Greek yet modern style.

Our sea-view room was quite comfortable and there was a lovely flowery smell coming from the air conditioner that filled the room with positive energy. The room was cool and fresh and the best part is that it is kept cool even if you remove the key from the power –the air conditioning is still on making you look forward to return especially after a walk outside. The room was equipped with all necessary amenities for a relaxing stay. I appreciated the mini fridge where we kept some cool water in. Between us, I prefer these than mini bars where there are all sorts of different things but you are never sure how old they might be and they are usually valued twice the real price. There was a safe but we never use it as I never carry valuables along. I also never carry many clothes and because I am a traveller and not a tourist I have along a few clothes which don’t need ironing and sometimes I wash and wear while on the trip. I try to make my stay and appearance as simple as possible. There is a nice big terrace outside the room with chairs to sit and watch the blue Mediterranean waters, -an ideal spot to enjoy reading a book, watch a beautiful sunrise as the sun comes out of the sea, or simply leave the morning sea breeze fill the room with oxygen.

The bathroom towels were bright white and were changed daily, however the bathroom was really small and narrow, allowing one person at a time but this was not a big problem really. The huge disappointment comes when you see the two single beds attached when you expect to find a double one and immediately the romantic side goes away. You see, couples who pick this hotel for a short get away expect at least to have a double bed! Even though our two single beds were comfortable, the sheets clean and bright, yet I consider this a drawback. Besides the Shampoo and Shower gel don’t expect to find a plastic cup or slippers. They are provided if you visit the Spa I was told, however you can ask the housekeeping lady to provide you or call the reception and let them know that you need them.

Breakfast –American-style included a rich variety of things to choose from and it was adequate.
We had our buffet dinners at the “Amvrosia” restaurant all three nights and I found the cuisine interesting. The menu is mainly Greek and international. I loved the salmon dish one of the nights –really tasty, and the roasted meat the other night. I rarely eat meat but I really enjoyed this one. The third night I had simply salads and fruit. There was always fresh melon and watermelon (seasonal fruit) or fruit in syrup on all nights and ice cream as well. What more could one want!

The outdoor pool (not very big) is mostly crowded and the “Pool Bar” must be the highlight of the premises during summertime. Snacks and drinks are served here and it is a fun place for most guests to be. There are plenty of pool beds and umbrellas both around the pool and on the upper level of the blue-grass garden. Guests seem to enjoy this hot spot out here a lot and you find them enjoying their drinks or reading a book or a newspaper. The kids are those who are mostly in the pool splashing in the water and having fun.

There are two medium sized conference rooms and the facilities and services are tailored to cater for any business or social event.

During the summertime you will see many elderly people coming here, or families with children, -people who keep coming back for years and it is a proof that they come back again and again because the hotel meets their expectations. It is nice seeing staff hugging warmly the guests and calling them by their small names. During our stay I met Spyros the Barman who was telling me that he considers the owners as part of his family. It is important to be working with the same people for probably more than 30 years, -being in a partner hotel and now working here at the Aquamarina. He has become professional after all these years, he is open-hearted and always with a smile and a good word.

A few things about the location. Well, Mati is a very small place but there are places of interest in the round area. For this reason I suggest that it is preferable to have a car along. Have in mind that the nearest bus stop is about 300 metres from the hotel and the drive to Athens can exceed the hour by bus plus the waiting time at the bus stop. So if you want to do some sight-seeing in the city centre of Athens I recommend booking at the Novus City Hotel which is centrally located and with an easy access to the Metro and belongs to the same group of hotels.
It is true that taxis are quite expensive and a drive to the airport can cost up to 50 euros depending on the number of luggage one has, and the cost is more if the traffic is heavy. Moving to different places by taxi is not advisable and it will cost a fortune.

There is a small grocery shop 100 metres from the hotel but this guy takes advantage of the customers and sells everything higher than the usual price.

There is the Nautical Club of Nea Makri 200 metres from the hotel and you can go there for a snack or ask for a pikilia and some ouzo by the beautiful marina.

Now, don’t expect to find a white sandy beach here. There are several man-made coves and you can pick the one you like, and the coast has rocks and pebbles. If you are after a white sandy beach you have to drive all the way to Marathonas -15 kms away.

Ask the reception to show you how to get to Cavo. It is a seaside Bar and Restaurant worth visiting and it is about half kms from the hotel. Take along your swimming suites as there is a pebbled beach just below Cavo and I am sure you would love to swim here. There is also a fish tavern next to it. The view from up the restaurant which is among pine trees is stunning.

Smoking is unfortunately allowed in the rooms, but there is a non-smoking floor available for non-smokers.
Free wireless internet (WiFi) activated with a code given by reception.
Two Free outdoor parking areas.
Baby cot upon request. Checking in at 2 pm and check-out at noon.
One drawback is that there is no air conditioning in the lift.

In all it is a nice hotel which I highly recommend, and I want to visit again in winter to check with the Spa facilities. I believe it is a good value for money and I advice that people who come here book on a H/B basis instead of B/B.

• Related to: Beaches, Photography, Spa and Resort
  • Written August 12, 2012

The garden outdoor pool

• littlebush profile photo littlebush
  • Reviews: 1106

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

The Student & Travellers Inn: The Student & Travellers Inn

The Student & Travellers Inn - located in Plaka - a lovely part of the city, at the foot of the acropolis. the area is full cafes etc.

my commens from my stay here in 2002-the hostel is ok, 50euros for a double. the room was fairly grimy, the bedsheets were itchy.

comments from 2012-i didnt recognise it all from 10 years ago, i read it had gone under a major refurbishment so maybe they changed it alot or maybe my memory is just bad. but i liked it, its got a nice garden/yard area for tv, bar, breakfast. breakfast was decent enough at 5 euros for a choice of many things (eggs are recommedned). location great. double room for 59 euro en suite was fine, small but clean and fine. staff ok but not great.

• Written March 26, 2012

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

POSEIDON Hotel: We felt like home, Professionalism, Amazing views!

We spent two nights here even though comments on the hotel were not the best but it was a challenge for me. I know well by now that some people are exaggerating in their reviews while others don’t really know what they want. Many will book a 3* hotel and expect or demand services and facilities of a 5*. Before I go further I want to write that Poseidon can be considered a 4* hotel. Of course there were neither pens, a memo pad, a shower cap or a shoe polish sponge –all these can be found in 4 stars but in reality how much do these count…I just wonder!!!

The fact that we parked the car in the small hotel’s car park was the first positive. The moment we stepped in we were made welcome and in all I was impressed with the quality of service. The ladies at the reception were all warm and kind and they impressed me on how well they were dealing with the guests and giving info. It is a hotel that makes you feel like at home.

We had room #604 on the 6th floor (a suite) just below the restaurant. The highlight of this room was its bathroom. Instead of a wall there was a huge glass window and door with access to the balcony. The room was spotlessly clean with nice finishing touches, beds comfortable, and towels bright white.
There was a very small old fashioned TV set but with such beautiful views who would want to watch the telly -other than the news!!!
We had a surprise indulgence with fruit and a bottle of water upon arriving. The mini bar helped to keep water cool, the desk in the corner next to the balcony had become my favourite spot as I was there working on my laptop when I was not out.
Internet is not free but I found the internet fee extremely reasonable compared to other hotels in Athens. The hotel provides a Wi Plus card (prepaid) for 5 euro that lasts 90 minutes. 10 euro for 200 minutes and a day card for 15 euro which is not bad at all.

Breakfast was more than adequate. I was happily surprised to find home-made spinach pie in the morning, three kinds of cheese, ham, boiled eggs and omelette, sausages, croissant, apple pies, honey and jam, cereals, yoghurt, orange and grapefruit juice, coffee and tea, and all these in a 3* hotel!! What more can one expect!! Or were we in a 4* hotel instead!!

Buffet lunch and dinners at the roof garden were plentiful as well and always included soup besides the main dish which to my surprise had both fish and chicken the first day, veggies and roast lamb the second, along with salad, fruit and dessert. Seeing many locals enjoying a culinary dinner the first night we decided to do the same as I wanted to test the culinary skills of the chef and we were not disappointed at all. Whatever we were brought was delicious providing a wide selection of Mediterranean and International fare.

The enchanting views of the Saronic Gulf and the Attic sky from the restaurant are breathtaking. With every moment that went by there was a change in colour of the sky. In other words this hotel is ideal for people who love capturing the morning sunrise and sunsets. We spent two nights here and what my camera captured was totally different from the previous. Besides the good chef, the roof garden restaurant attracts many locals who drop by for an afternoon coffee, dinner or a business meeting. The hotel’s conference halls are fully equipped ideal for business forums.

During the summer months the beach bar & café opposite the hotel offers refreshing beverages and the traditional tavern serves seafood and Greek delicacies. The roof top bar and swimming pool were also closed at this time of year but out of curiosity I climbed up to the top for some amazing views of Athens and the sea as far as the eye can see. This is another spot I have to experience on my second visit, and of course I cannot comment on the sea or the beach at this point.

I am finishing my review on the hotel commenting on the location. It is the ideal spot for public transportation. The street below is really busy all the time and it might be a bit noisy I can admit, but the tram stops right across the street with multiple bus lines for Athens, Piraeus and the Airport. The bus stop opposite is called Edem. Take bus B2 from Akadimia or the tram from Syntagma and bus A1 from the main port of Piraeus. The Airport bus X96 will drop you just outside the hotel. If this is not wonderful then what!

The beachfront, ideal for a stroll, becomes crowded on weekends. Families with children, people jogging, bicycle riders, is a daily scene. Not ideal area for shopping. There are some café restaurants in the area but I don’t see the reason to leave the hotel if what is offered here is really good and the service exceptional. I want to thank the people at the restaurant who were doing a good job even though very busy since the hotel was almost full.
I highly recommend it. I shall surely be back and comment on the top beach bar swimming area, the restaurant opposite the hotel and the beach -things that I missed this time!

• Related to: Photography, Food and Dining, Budget Travel
  • Written January 30, 2012

Sunset - Poseidon Hotel

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Lilia Hotel - Piraeus (Passalimani area): Family run hotel, Courteous Staff, Great Location!

I wanted to visit Pasalimani and Mikrolimano for some pictures for my guides and I decided to stay at a family-run hotel so I booked at Lilia after reading some reviews on the net and luckily we were not disappointed.
The hotel is located on a quiet neighborhood very close to the picturesque marina in Passalimani. The road is quite narrow, with lines of cars parked on the right side, -a bit difficult to find parking space if you have a car, however the location is great.

The University of Piraeus is very close, and there are times when students stay here until they find permanent accommodation. Tourists who want to catch boats to the islands find the hotel ideal, and people who want to spend a couple of days in this beautiful location close to the marina and yachts with the nice café-bars and restaurants are thrilled with this location.

From the airport take the Express bus No X96 El. Venizelos –Piraeus (leaves every 20 minutes). The cost is 5 euro and duration approximately 90 minutes. Come off at Dimotiko Theatro and pick a taxi to Passalimani which I believe is the best alternative to come to the hotel from this point on. The hotel is not very far just let the taxi driver drop you off at Gregoriou Lambraki Avenue to the point that meets Zeas street. It is about 130-150 meters upwards, easily go on foot.

Lilia was recently renovated -the owners who are two brothers and a son were really very helpful and nice people. The reception area is not huge but comfortable creating a cozy ambience nicely decorated. There was a small bar with different drinks but we did not have time for a drink as most of the time we were out. The surround area is so beautiful that you only need the hotel to sleep. The rest of the hours you will surely want to be out.

We had a descent and adequate breakfast in the morning including cereals, yoghurt, ham, eggs, honey and marmalade, cake coffee or tea. The breakfast area is really small with just a few tables, but this does not matter at all. It makes it friendly and warm.

We had room #132 on the 4th floor. We were informed that our room was a little bigger than other rooms (included a small hall). The spacious verandah overlooking the street is an asset to this room. The view of course is mostly roof tops but you can catch a glance of the marina if you stand by the edge. It was very cold to sit outside and enjoy it since it is January but it can surely be appreciated during the summer months. The room was comfortable and clean, with nice bed quilts making a contrast to the color of the wall behind the beds. The small wardrobe included extra blankets. The mini bar was empty but we bought a bottle of water from the huge Carrefour Market which is very close. The room had both central heating and air conditioning and a very small old-fashioned TV set sitting on a stool on the wall opposite the beds.

The bathroom was not big but it was ok with a shower and a hairdryer. Don’t expect a plastic shower cap or other extras besides a shampoo & shower gel –two in one. These are found in 3 or 4 star hotels. The Hotel is a 2* hotel and not 3, but I have seen 3 star hotels with less amenities, very poor breakfast and dirty. It can easily be called a 3* hotel, if it included a swimming pool of course!

In the evening I recommend taking a taxi (4 euro) and get to Mikrolimano. If you come early take a stroll first and then dine at Zorbas Seafood restaurant which I highly recommend. Everything was so fresh, service excellent, location magic!! Find my comments on this restaurant on the Restaurant Tips.

Places of interest are accessible on foot and the hotel is not very far from the main harbor, the shipping companies and all tourist attractions. It is also close to the exhibition centre of the Piraeus (OLP) and also to the Karaiskaki and the Peace & Friendship stadiums.

I highly recommend it for a short stay, as I found the people friendly, the place clean, breakfast adequate, internet is free here and the location the best.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Photography, Singles
  • Written January 28, 2012

Room # 132 on the fourth floor

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

The Margi Hotel: The Gem of the Southern outskirts of Athens!

We spent 2 wonderful nights at the Margi, and I want to state that the hotel is beyond better than what it shows on the net. The hotel is nestled between the sea and pine forest. Within a 5 minute walk there is a wonderful public beach and yet another private one a bit further. I am referring to Astir Beach although I don’t consider the 15 euro per day cheap but its worth going there just for a try. Of course you have the waiter service, sun bed and quality facilities. I went there once when a friend came from the U.K.

Margi is the ideal place to unwind away from the busy centre of Athens, yet very easy to come here by E22 bus directly from Syntagma in less than 50 minutes. I find the hotel’s location practical for people travelling around the business areas of the city. Ideal for people who want to avoid the city centre completely and be close to the Airport which is only 30 minutes drive away. I did not dine at the hotel so I cannot tell of its cuisine but there are several good restaurants in less than 7 minute walk serving mostly sea food.

I found the hotel cosy, very stylish and chic in a minimalist Moroccan style, perfectly balancing discreet luxury with a cosy Mediterranean ambience. I noticed that great attention is given to detail. I don’t think that there would be anybody finding something negative to comment on. Those who do so, just lack good taste and no matter where they are they will surely find anything to complain and they do it out of habit. Margi has a character and you are pleasantly surprised discovering new nooks and crannies where a subtle light, an artefact or mirror has been used to enhance the overall effect.
Candles are lit as it gets dark, and the overall effect is stunning. Every single corner is different from the other, and depending on the light you get a different perspective. It is just magic!

We had the Executive room #408, which I cannot say was huge. On the contrary I found it moderately sized elegantly simple and comfortable with the balcony overlooking the pine forest and the window opposite the bed overlooking the beautiful coast. It was as if we were in front of a painting when we were looking through this window! It was cold and windy outside and the sun was shining brightly in the room making it warm and cosy. The room was clean with all the amenities that a 5* hotel should have.
I found the bathroom spacious with a modern walk-in shower and I was happily surprised to find the popular Korres toiletries here.

The American breakfast was more than adequate and had everything to meet the most demanding expectation. Breakfast starts from 07:00 till 11:00 am.

I am not fond of pools and I find them mostly decorative but the bar and pool area is truly amazing surrounded by an elegant terrace decorated with purple sofas and beds to lie down.

Staff seems professional and the service is excellent. It is very positive seeing young people working in the premises. Even the owner of the hotel is a young man full of enthusiasm and eager for the very best of the hotel. We had the chance to meet Janette at the reception, always smiling and ready to help with the clients’ demands.

Free Parking was surely appreciated, although wireless internet is not free here. It costs 5 euro for 2 hours and 10 for one day. I was told however that very soon this will be settled.

As a Guide Writer, I need to state that Vouliagmeni is a beach resort and there are no shops other than some restaurants in the round area which are not cheap though, and I don’t recommend this location for people who want to visit Athens for site-seeing. It is much too far out to have a base. The city centre is between 45 minutes and an hour’s drive from the hotel the soonest!
On the other hand one can visit the fabulous Lake of Vouliagmeni which is a natural lake fed by underground caves with a year-round temperature of 25 degrees Celsius well known for its therapeutic properties, just a 5 minute drive from the hotel.
There are local sporting activities available such as tennis, basketball and volleyball in the area next to the coast.

Most of the beaches entail an entrance fee, the price is quite reasonable if you spend the entire day there where you can have lots of water sports to amuse yourselves with. Windsurfing, water skiing, Jet skiing, canoeing, diving, boating, snorkelling and sailing are some of the most popular sports in the area.

In all, it was a great stay, and I would love to return, and probably next time try the cuisine that I did not have the chance to try on this stay.

• Related to: Luxury Travel, Business Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written November 14, 2011

The impressive pool area

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hilton Athens: The Memorable Experience of a Short Break!

Hilton’s name stands for excellence and somebody coming here expects consistency in quality and service. The hotel has been fully renovated some years back to a luxurious, sophisticated 5-star environment. It has become one of the best, if not the very best hotel in Athens, -a home of luxury and privilege. An award of recognition was gained when the hotel was voted as the most popular business hotel for 2010. As a professional guide writer I am always on the go, and have the chance to visit and comment on many hotels throughout the world. I spent one night here many years ago on a seminar and 3 unforgettable nights now after the renovation and the difference is obvious. I urge people to choose this hotel for different reasons.

It is located in one of the most impressive boulevards of Athens, only 25 minutes away by direct subway from the Athens International Airport. It is not more than 10 minute walk to Syntagma Square, or 2 minutes on foot to get the metro for the shopping and cultural district, to wander through the city’s bustling business and shopping areas.

Great attention has been given to the newly renovated guestrooms and suites with emphasis on the elegance and comfort. The Executive Floor is luxurious with a private reception, and this luxury extends to rooms and bathrooms with extra facilities. From the moment we stepped in, up to the moment we left we were made to feel special.

Our room was overlooking the Acropolis and was on the 10th floor. It was stylish, clean and comfortable with excellent air conditioning and double-glazed windows. The amenities on the Executive floor differ with provision of daily business newspapers and complimentary access to the Hiltonia Spa which is beyond expectations. I did not visit the gym but what I really enjoyed was to exercise in the indoor pool which I found amazing with the different massage devices which are really effective. Devices like swimming jets, water cannon and a water bicycle makes the swimming pool unique. Believe me it is worth all the money.

Our Executive room had all the amenities of a 5* hotel including a mini-bar with everything one would dream of. (Mind you, it is quite expensive, and if you move anything from the mini bar it is automatically billed on your account). The office desk had two direct dial ISDN lines and voice mail and I spent a few hours out there daily. The marble bathroom with separate shower suite was a delight but what added more elegance was the deep bath and the many toiletries provided daily. The hotel uses exclusively the Crabtree and Evelyn products which include body lotion, shampoo and conditioner, sewing kits, shoe shines and shower caps, bath tablets, robes and slippers. The complimentary plate of fruit and a 500 ml bottle of fine red Greek wine was a nice treat which we appreciated.

In reality I am not fond at all when it comes to buffet breakfasts, lunch or dinners so we preferred the extensive continental breakfast selection at the Executive Lounge on the 11th floor. We tried it the first morning and noticed that it was ideal for people like us who watch our diet. It included high energy and fibre and low calorie dishes which we enjoyed and this made us feel like home.

I am closing this review with a memorable experience from the terrace of the Hotel. Athens is always beautiful and enchanting especially if you see it from above. The Galaxy Bar and Restaurant offer this exceptional, spectacular and panoramic view of the Athenian landscape extending out to the coast behind the Acropolis where some ships can be seen (weather permitting) in the distance. On the side and in short distance there is the Lycabettus hill. As it gets dark all this is transformed to magic. Under a spectacular display of stars enchanted by this unrivalled view, indulge in the stylish surroundings and feast your senses from a variety of dishes. Of course some of them are expensive but I believe you deserve this treat.

I had the chance to talk to several guests during our stay and the only negative I kept hearing was the high charge of internet (18 euro a day, or 30 Euro for 2 days). However, I urge people to check out the very low cost package which lasts until the 17th December. I am referring to the Cultural Weekend which includes tickets for 6 Museum visits, and access to the Spa and indoor swimming pool. I believe it is a bargain not to be missed!

• Related to: Food and Dining, Luxury Travel, Spa and Resort
  • Written August 11, 2011
Tip Photo

The view of the swimming pool from our room

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Athens Cypria Hotel: It Needs Refreshing!

If you plan to visit Athens and be away the whole day, then book here for sure.
It is a safe place, but don’t expect anything luxurious or romantic here.
Good location because it is central, but the hotel needs a refreshing.
Have in mind that there are two wings and when you book ask to be given a room in the new wing.
It is popular with many Cypriots and people coming from England. My closest friend stayed here several times, but this summer I had the chance to come here and see a friend for a while.

Breakfast was adequate and it was fine as that day I had breakfast with my friend.
There are different toiletries in the bathroom which are basic.
There is free wireless internet which is extremely slow, and many times she could not get connection.
It badly needs renovation.

• Related to: Photography, Museum Visits, Singles
  • Written August 6, 2011

Viewing the Acropolis

• DAO profile photo DAO
  • Reviews: 3550

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

PIKERMI HOTEL: F**K ME

HOSTELS.COM – YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED! YOU SAID “. It is very close to Athens international airport”. IT COST 3 OF US 89 EUROS TO GO TO AND FROM THE AIRPORT !!!!!

Other than that – this place completely sucks! Hostels.Com confirmed our 2 rooms to the hotel only 1 hour before our arrival, despite booking more than a week ahead. We could easily have paid 39 Euros to find no rooms. One of the rooms had a broken air-conditioner and TV. The staff said it would be fixed after we left the next day. So one person was woken to the sound of the near-by rooster because they had to have their windows open.

Rooms were basic and the whole hotel was as well.

No restaurant meant we had to jump a barrier to cross a highway to walk 800 meteres to the restaurant.

And the worst thing? Both Hostels.Com and the hotel show photos of the beach. Multiple photos. Not even within 15 miles of the coast!

Give this a complete miss. We could have paid to stay at a luxury hotel at the airport by the time we had paid for the taxi fares. And the taxis actually wanted more than we paid them!

none

• Related to: Business Travel, Family Travel, Work Abroad
  • Written September 20, 2010

• lynnehamman profile photo lynnehamman
  • Reviews: 412

Central Hotel: Exellent choice with amazing views

We stayed here after returning from the islands........the hotel was recommended by the travel agent that booked our island trip. It was perfect, down to the last detail.
We were promised a pick up from the port at Piraeus ( after midnight) and amazingly- there was the driver, waiting for us.
The hotel is not large-but it incorporates beautiful designer furniture, an inviting atrium and marble stairway. Very bright and airy.
I would have preferred a larger room- however- the other good qualities about this hotel made up for slight lack of space in bedroom. It was no big deal- we managed fine, and the room was sparkling clean, brigh and cheerful, with a good size bathroom.
The staff were very friendly, and helpful in every way.
Central Hotel is situated in Plaka area, is close to Constitution Square, and within walking distance of Acropolis, Metro, shops and tavernas.
The breakfasts were superb........a large assortment of hot (eggs, bacon, tomotoes & sausages) as well as cold fare- cold meats, olives, feta cheese, tomoatoes- all traditional Greek breakfast staples. A good selection of breads and jams, and percolated coffee -

We simply loved the terrace area, on the rooftop.
The views of the Acropolis and its surrounds is magnificent. There is a bar & jacuzzi that operates in season.
We were given a late checkout at no extra cost- which gave us time to freshen up before leaving for the airport for our long flight back to Australia. They actually let us have the room till 4pm........we appreciated this greatly.
The desk staff were very helpful with directions etc, and gave us maps- (some hand-drawn).
And all this with genuine smiles.
Facilities include:
Air-con/heating (gas)
Hairdryer
LCD TV
Internet
Fridge
Non-smoking and family rooms.
Conference facilities.
I would absolutely recommend this hotel- and would stay here again.

The bright, airy atmosphere and the beautiful design of hotel and its furnishings (the architect, I was told - was one Stelios Demos).
PLENTY of good lighting in the room and bathroom.

Full length mirrors in room ( being a fussy dresser, for me most welcome)
The beautiful terrace area with wonderful sunset and sunrise views.
The Atrium, with its inviting atmosphere
The warmth of the staff.
The central location- within easy reach of interesting things & places.

• Related to: Architecture, Historical Travel, Arts and Culture
  • Written July 18, 2010

Entrance- Central Hotel

• Yianna225 profile photo Yianna225
  • Reviews: 7

Maison Janie Hirst, Chemin Les Eclozeuax: Peace and quiet in Montelimar

Janie has a gite (self-catering accomodation) about 5 km from Montelimar. It is a 300 year old silk farm, beautifully restored, with swimming pool, television and wonderful peace.

Wifi, pool, television, full kitchen facilities, enouth pillows on the bed, books provided and plenty of info pamphlets of places in the area to visit. Also very good instructions inside each gite on how to get to various places and other recommendations. Price per week, she also provides per day, but note that in season it might be fully booked.

• Related to: Photography, Hiking and Walking, Cycling
  • Written April 29, 2010

• Yianna225 profile photo Yianna225
  • Reviews: 7

Hotel Corail, Paris: Good value for money

Two blocks along Gare de Lyon in Paris, although small, it meets every need if luxury is not your thing. Clean, neat, the staff are friendly and multilingual and more than enough self-service breakfast. Exit the railway station on the level for the TGV on the side of the Restaurant Blue Train. At the traffic light, cross and walk 2 blocks, the hotel is on the left.

• Related to: Singles, Women's Travel, Budget Travel