Phidias Hotel

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 2 star hotels

• Hikerpark's Profile Photo

In The Heart of Thissio

This is a small, but clean hotel. It has a nice lobby and is generally attractive. The rooms are somewhat small, but the bed was very nice. I would consider this a budget hotel and they are on a cash only basis. The employees at the desk were very kind and accomodating. The also offered a decent breakfast for 5 euros.

Unique Quality: I would recommed this hotel mainly because of its location. It is located in Thissio and has a magnificent view of the southwestern corner of the Acropolis. It is breathtaking at night. It is only a 2 block walk to the Thissio station on the green line of the metro which will take you from Pireas all the way to the airport and many places in between. There are great restaurants, bars and nightclubs in Thissio. It is also home to the ancient agora and very close to one end of the Monastiraki district.

Directions: Thissio

• littlesam1's Profile Photo

2 Star Hotel with 5 Star Service

The Phidias Hotel is located on a pedestrian street near the base of the Acropolis. It is central to almost anything you would want to do or see in Athens. There is a metro stop just 100 meters from the hotel. Although only a two star hotel, the service is excellent and of 4 or 5 star quality in my opinion. I was a little skeptical when I first booked the room. The hotel required no credit card to hold the reservation. All I received in notification was an email saying my room was booked. I was a little afraid that when I arrived I would have no room. I emailed the hotel two days before leaving for Athens just to relieve my fears and asked once again if they wanted a credit card to guarantee my reservation. My response came back almost immediately that no credit card was necessary and the my room was reserved for me.

When I arrived I was told to not worry about the payment. The desk clerk told me to go out and enjoy the city, come back relax, and we could discuss the payment later. I was given a room on the second floor. The elevator was tiny but I was glad to see that there was an elevator so there was no complaint from me. The room was small but very clean. I was in the back of the hotel with the view of a small alley. The rooms in the front of the hotel have a beautiful view of the Acropolis. Each room had a private bath which once again was very clean and but accomodating.

Unique Quality: The gentlemen who worked at the hotel desk were all friendly and all wanted to talk to us each day. They asked about our plans, what we had seen, etc. They made Mark and I very welcome. The night before we got ready to leave I finally paid my bill. They required cash and no credit cards. So be prepared to pay cash. I asked for a receipt. The man at the desk laughed out loud and said, "But if I give you receipt, I can't ask you to pay again tomorrow." He then slapped my back and laughed again.

If your looking for four or five star impersonal service this hotel is not for you. If you are looking for a discount in a clean small hotel with friendly service people then I highly recommend The Phidias Hotel.

Directions: The hotel is located near the entrance to the Acropolis.

More about Phidias Hotel

Athens - The Parthenon

by littlesam1

I have to begin my tips on Athens with The Parthenon. When I think of Athens, The Parthenon is the first visual image that comes to my mind. To many it is the symbol of Athens. When I arrived in Athens I took a taxi to my hotel. From the information on the internet I had read in advance, I knew my hotel was near the base of The Acropolis. However I was not prepared for the view until I actually arrived. I stayed at the Hotel Phidias. The name of the hotel alone connects to The Parthenon. Phidias acted as the supervisor of the the archtectural and artistic works of the Acropolis. The first thing I saw before entering my hotel was the monumental Parthenon overhead. I could think of no better first impression for my Athens visit.

Of course The Parthenon is one of the most influential buildings of all times. Everyday when I walk to work I pass directly in front of The U.S. Supreme Court, which owes its design to The Parthenon. When I watched the Olympics on television in 2004 every night they ended the broadcast with a view of the Acropolis and The Parthenon shining in the night lights. It was that vision that made me decide to visit Athens. So my trip to Athens begins and ends right here with the Parthenon.

There is a 12 Euro charge to enter The Acropolis. The entrance ticket also allows you access to several other historical areas including the Ancient Agora.

Hotels in Athens

by kelmen50

Does anyone know if there are nice inexpensive hotels next to the University of Athens (30 Panepistimiou Ave.)?

by starstudio

There are many around this area, as is very center of the city. You just need to make reservation first. What is your standards?

by kelmen50

I just need a nice clean hotel to spend a night in, as I arrive to Athens around 22:00 and my flight is at 11:10 next day. It is a pity that I won't have too much time in the city, but hope to see at least areas next to Syntagma square.

by starstudio

As first impresion, i had in mind that you are in to the Univiversity comunity, in need for walking distance hotel. By the way, dont get comfused if you see the same name (Panepistimiou or Leoforos Venizelou) is the same road!
Is true that you have only few hours to see a part of the city. Is not enough, but better from nothing. I suggest you some hotels not exactly near to university, but around the area of Syntagma and Plaka, because all are 5 to 10 minutes from metro, that can use easy to go to the airport, one way line, or with one change.

Close to the university is only one hotel "Titania" from 100euros (as i can suggest) in contact to Omonia metro station.
Others in contact to Syntagma metro or Monastiraki metro, are:

(some links response to google search, others to yahoo search tools)
Hope that helps.
Enjoy, have a safe trip, and ask for free.
K S

by kelmen50

Thanks a lot! I am so glad I found this forum! You are great!

One question though - I was also looking into area around Omonia, as it next to the bus stop (I am supposed to arrive there at 22:00 from Delphi) as those hotels are a bit cheaper. But someone posted a comment about that area being not safe (prostitutes, drug dealers, etc.). As I am a single traveling female, I got a little unnerved by that. What is your advice?

And thank you again for taking time to help me :-)

by Aitana

I also recommend you to look for a hotel near Plaka or Syntagma.
Some years ago, traveling with a friend (2 females), we made the mistake to go to Omonia at midnight looking for accomodation, and sincerely, I don't recommend it.
Appart from the list posted in the former reply, you also can try hotel Adonis, in Plaka (3 Koudrou). It is clean and cheap, but it has not web.

Comments