Athanasiou Diakou 28-32, Athens, Attica, 11743, Greece

Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 44% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

Elegant, Professional Services -Luxury Facilities!

The breathtaking views from the Royal Olympic would be reason alone to choose this hotel. It is our second stay in this amazing hotel and like last year we chose it to spend my birthday.

Location: It could not be any better, with walking distance to everywhere -you don’t really need a taxi to see the attractions in Athens. The location is unbeatable indeed, close to everything and yet nicely removed from the bustle around Syntagma. Just a short walk from the hotel is the new Acropolis Museum which I recommend a visitor should see first. It gives an overview of the history of the city. From here you can walk through Plaka and up the marble steps to the Acropolis which also gives you wonderful panoramic views of Athens. The hotel is only a 35 minute drive from Athens Eleftherios Venizelos Airport.

Staff and Services: The check in/out and concierge service were efficient very friendly –a bunch of professionals.

Room: We had an Athenian Panorama room on the 5th floor this time. (#504) What a room indeed! It was more an apartment-sized bedroom with a whole glass wall framing the ancient Temple of Zeus, and behind it, the pine-clad Lycabettus Hill. The huge glass wall turns the window into a live work of art and (this piece of art) changes as the day goes by and it becomes more impressive as the first lights from the city and the Ancient attractions are on. If you plan visiting the delights of Athens, this is the best way to start your tour. You could almost do all your sightseeing from the comfort of your room before taking the stroll to the highlights of the city!

Facilities: The room is elegant and impressively decorated. As you enter there is a separate very impressive closet with lots of open shelves to hang clothes and place your bags. A side velvet navy blue curtain indeed beautifies this little space, and just opposite the little corridor there is a nicely designed classical piece of furniture that hides in there the mini bar. On the top shelf there was a bottle of Greek wine waiting for us –our complimentary treat.
    Even if the room faces a busy street it is completely sound proof and the surprise this time was that we had access to a beautiful private balcony with two reclining chairs and a low wooden table. Our room was flooding with natural light, something you cannot find easily elsewhere.
    The queen sized bed was huge but it was actually two beds joined together ….something that personally I prefer!
    I loved the navy blue thick carpet with yellow/gold designs. It nicely matched with the stylish curtains, the bed-spread and the sofa.
    The only thing that I believe was missing was the coffee/tea facilities.

Bathroom: The bathroom is the other highlight of the room. This time the bathroom was one-piece including a side corner huge marble bath-tub with stylish shower facilities in the colour of silver and gold. There was a separate spacious shower corner with the rainfall style shower along with the usual tap and other facilities. There was a huge mirror making the room look even bigger and on the wide marble stand by the sink there was a real shell full of toiletries. What a nice spot to have the toiletries placed in! The hotel uses exclusively the Jade by Caterways products and skin essential gentle soap. The first day the shell did not include a bath gel but I asked for a few and in seconds I had them. The housekeeping staff would drop by late each afternoon to check if you need anything. The ladies are very polite and nothing is much trouble for them. Both the room and bathroom were spotlessly clean and the towels were bright white with a fresh flowery smell. Robs and slippers are provided. We were amazed how silent the air conditioning was!

Breakfast: It is worth making your booking on either B/B or H/B basis. The “Ioannis” is a signature restaurant of Athens and it is another highlight of the hotel. The American Breakfast here is rich and meets the expectations of the demanding guest. I don’t want to start counting what the buffet includes but I only want to stress that everything is home made of exceptional taste and quality. I loved the cheese pie with homemade pastry and the coffee which had a nice flavour and it was strong just like I have it at home.

The rooftop bar at the other end of the restaurant may not be that cheap I can admit but the collection of drinks in the bar is rich and the view is breathtaking. I believe it pays the money to have a drink out here even if you pay a bit more and anyone with a refined taste would love it.

The “Ioannis” Restaurant: What an amazing dinner outing! I highly recommend the restaurant for its superb cuisine. Here you can find traditional Greek recipes in modern conception. Find more about this restaurant in my detailed review on the Restaurant’s page.

The Lounge Bar: It overlooks the swimming pool and garden and it is the unique spot to enjoy a drink. I was out half of the day shopping and partly taking photos and I came here for some coffee before going up to the room. I wanted to enjoy my cup of coffee in this comfortable seating spot which creates a chic relaxing and inviting ambience. It was even more beautiful with the Christmas tree on which was placed out there. What a nice way to relax after hours of walking!!

Wi Fi connection: The majority of hotels in Athens charge the guest a lot, or if the connection is free it is usually accessible only in the lobby area and still the connection can be very slow. Here on the contrary the guest has a high speed access throughout the hotel. Indeed a relief to the business clientele!

The Area Highlights: Besides the Acropolis that the guest should not miss, the Museum and the National Gardens which are a 5 minute stroll from the hotel, you are in short proximity to the historical area of Plaka (the old town) Monastiraki, Thissio and the Syntagma Square. Get there and watch the change of Guards, or take the metro and get to the beautiful beaches of Vouliagmeni or Glyfada. The bus stop is a few metres from the hotel (2 minutes walk) and you will be dropped off when you are back right across the road opposite the entrance of the hotel.

Eating Outside:To help tourists avoid tourist traps or being ripped off in the touristy areas of Plaka and Thissio if you want to enjoy an Authentic good quality Greek Traditional cuisine and want to try something different from the restaurant of the hotel, I highly recommend the tavern of Dimitris and Gregoris at 5 Misthou Street. We paid something like 6 euros (two way drive) to get there and back by taxi. Many of the products are brought from Crete and their cuisine is unbeatable. It is one of my favourite taverns in Athens -excellent service and tasty food. Look out for my review on the restaurant. The two brothers who are the cooks are an amazing couple of professionals. You will surely want to go back believe me.

General: The hotel in general offers the guest the absolute elegance of style and taste. It is the unique hotel in Athens to enjoy the ultimate of discreet luxury, warm hospitality and value for money. The Royal Olympic is included in the list of the “Great Hotels of the world, in the “Lifestyle and Luxury Collection” a guarantee for the Best rates, Professional services, and Peace of mind.
    I have stayed time and again in such hotels through my many trips in the 37 countries I have already visited around the world all these years and I have never regretted it. I highly urge people to visit it as I consider it one of the most beautiful hotels in Athens, counting a lot on its location, the quality of service, and its discreet luxury facilities. The guest will be in good hands by all means because the people here and the management are a bunch of professionals who work on the least detail for the comfort of the individual guest and his needs.

• didier06's Profile Photo

good location

We stayed 5 nights in this hotel
    The staff was always very friendly and helpful .
    The room was clean and comfortable, when we come back from Santorini we were given a junior suite wich was very spacious.
    good choice for the breakfast

luggage storage: 2 euros

parking: 15 euros

room Prices: from 100 euros per night

Unique Quality: Beautiful view on the Temple of Olympian ZEUS , also view on the Acropolis from the restaurant on the 7th floor

Directions: metro station : Acropolis

Near the Temple of Olympian ZEUS

5 minutes from the Plaka district

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

The Ultimate of Discreet Luxury!

We spent two unforgettable nights at the Royal Olympic Hotel when in Athens celebrating my birthday.
    The location is more than perfect away from the centre where the protests take place from time to time, but still close in an ideal spot opposite the Temple of Zeus. It is about a 7 minute walk to Syntagma, but there is a bus stop just opposite the hotel for somebody who does not wish to walk.

We had the Athenian Panorama Room #403 on the 4th floor just opposite the Temple of Zeus with an unbelievable view, a room with many windows flooding with natural light. For several minutes I was standing looking outside instead of unpacking. The outside beauty had turned our window into a live work of art. This beauty became more impressive later on in the evening with lights coming from the Archaeological Temple, further behind the Lycabettus Hill and from the lighted buildings and streets around.

The room was big, beautifully decorated and very impressive with huge mirrors making it look even bigger. There was hidden lighting on two sides and three or four stylish brass sconce with yellow lamp shades with a couple of paintings on the walls that added more luxury to it. The navy blue thick carpet with yellow/gold designs was matching with the stylish curtains, the bed and the sofa set. Even the marble on the small table was matching with the colours of the room. The bed was huge and comfortable and I appreciated the side corner desk where I had my laptop to check for possible urgent e mails.

There was a separate, very impressive closet to slot our bags with shelves on both sides and a central mirror with a stool or seat. A side velvet curtain made this little spot look more impressive. We had a complimentary big bottle of Greek red wine with a bowl of seasonal fruit - a treat from the hotel which we surely appreciated. There were no coffee facilities in the room however. I usually carry with me but I did not this time. I always love to have my morning coffee in bed as I wake up early much before the restaurant opens and it was my only disappointment.

Something else that highlights our room are the two separate connecting rooms of the marble bathroom and toilet which is beyond expectations impressive with a real king size bath tub, with stylish tap and shower facilities in the colour of silver and gold. The hotel uses exclusively the Jade by Caterways products and skin essential gentle soap,-all toiletries found in a sea shell.
    There is a separate very spacious shower room all in marble with a thick glass door and an impressive glass handle. There are so many mirrors in the bathroom area and the lights are really bright out there that it is so inviting and personally I spent much time here.

Breakfast was on the Roof Garden and it truly included everything to meet the expectations of the most difficult guest.

We had dinner the first night at the new Gourmet Ioannis Restaurant and we found everything so fresh and tasty – a creative cuisine so beautifully presented. What a breathtaking view from up there! So close to the Acropolis as well. We thought to dine somewhere outside the second night since Athens is full of nice restaurants but we could not resist the cuisine of the hotel. Besides, it was the night of my birthday and I wanted it to be very special. The chef, Kostas Tsigas works miracles of art and taste and the Grand Master of the Restaurant Dimitris Sanidas was telling us about the fresh raw materials used here and the attempt of the chef to combine old traditional recipes with modern conception. Every dish was exceptional and I was so thrilled that I am going to write a separate review. I cannot say that dishes are cheap, but it is worth spending a bit more from time to time. It won’t disappoint you I am sure and I urge guests to visit it even for once.

Internet is totally free here –the oasis for businessmen. There are many meeting rooms each with its own unique character and charm.
    I found the staff professionals and they were all very helpful when I needed them.
    The hotel has a small swimming pool in beautiful gardens but it was closed since it is winter. I highly recommend the hotel as guests can find the absolute elegance of style and taste, and enjoy the ultimate of discreet luxury and warm hospitality here.

• jenn5179's Profile Photo

Nice hotel near Plaka

The Royal Olympic has a great pool, and is located across from the Temple of Zeus...

We could walk to the Plaka and Constitution Square

It was just a short cab ride from the hotel to the Acropolis and a 15 minute or so ride to the Archaelogy Museum (a MUST see!)

Overall, we were very happy with our hotel choice

Unique Quality: The pool - excellent

The prices for drinks/hotel restaurant - Outrageously high

The room - Nice, clean

The breakfast - nice sized buffet every morning, great variety

Directions: Across the street from the Temple of Zeus

• Confucius's Profile Photo

Best location, right next to a Chinese restaurant!

Not only is there a Chinese restaurant right next door, the Royal Olympic Hotel's location is also convenient for subway travel and walking to the popular Plaka district. I can't imagine a better location. The first thing you see across the street is the Temple of Zeus, ruins left by the Romans. If the Italians thought this area was suitable for the king of gods, then you can't really go wrong with a stay at the Royal Olympic Hotel.
    You will notice that a lot of deluxe tour groups use this hotel. That's not a bad omen, as one would expect good tour companies to have a refined set of requirements. I was very satisfied with my room and the the hotel's service. For example, the concierge let me borrow an umbrella one evening when I asked the front desk where one could be bought.
    However I did overhear other guests having problems with their reservations. There was also a complaint that a bed was too low. Maybe I was just lucky during my stay, but I did not encounter any problems and would still highly recommend this hotel to individuals seeking a convenient location for accomodations in Athens.

Unique Quality: There's a Chinese restaurant just to the right of the hotel entrance. How cool is that? WOW!
    It may not be the best Chinese restaurant in Athens, but it's not bad at all. Go ahead, tell me how I should be trying Greek food in Greece; yada yada yada. Let me tell you; after a day of sampling souvlaki and eating the obligatory supersized sesame bagel, it's nice to come home to my hotel knowing that delicious Chinese food will be ready upon my return.

I can't overemphasize the convenience of this location. Sooner of later, all tourists find themselves in the Plaka. This is where you buy your souvenirs, visit the local church, and still manage to squeeze in some sightseeing with that Agora complex nearby. All of this plus Hadrian's Arch is a simple stroll from the hotel. On top of that, there's a Metro subway station right near the left corner of the Royal Olympic and behind the hotel is the electric tram.

Directions: Across the street from the Temple of Zeus, 5 minutes from the Plaka

• Sharrie's Profile Photo

SRAS Group of Hotels

Royal Olympic is Trafalgar's repertoire of hotels. Tourist class. Expensive by world standard but that's probably average for Athens. Hotels undergoing renovation right now. Rooms are good-size but a little run down on my 1st stay. On my 2nd stay after the mainland tour, a better room was assigned to me. It costs about US$115 if you get from agent. I checked with the reception & the rack rate was Euro 130.

Some people were complaining of noise & hard mattresses, depending on where the bedrooms were facing. Conveniently located though I personally wouldn't return to this particular hotel. 4* at best & service is almost non-existent!

Directions: Opposite the Temple of Zeus. Metro Station: Acroplis. About 5 mins walk from station. 10 mins walk from Plaka.

• dlandt's Profile Photo

The Royal Olympic.

The Royal Olympic is a three star hotel. Its located near the Acropolis and Plaka. The hotel itself is about 35 years old and has a first class lobby and bar. The rooms show the age a bit better. Ask for the view, you have a great night view of the Acropolis and balconies which are excellent for sipping wine.

Unique Quality: I found this hotel to be a good bargain. It wasn't super-cheap, but really quite affordable and is close to everything you could want.

Directions: Syntagma Square

• ROYAL OLYMPIC Hotel, a...

ROYAL OLYMPIC Hotel, a typically 70'ies style hotel with a great location: just opposite the Temple of Zeus and only 3 minutes by foot to the Plaka with all its restaurants and cafés.
    Big marble hall, small shop selling newspapers and souvenirs, fine bar and cosy rooms that are still not that expensive - we paid about € 60 for a single room in October.

More about Royal Olympic Hotel

Royal Olympic Hotel: Loved It!

by TripAdvisor Member diane01

August 2006
Just returned from a stay at the Royal Olympic Hotel in Athens, Greece. My husband and I had a wonderful experience. Our stay dispelled all negative comments made by travelers in older reviews. The hotel is newly renovated with a beautiful lobby and comfortable rooms. Our room was immaculate and had all new bedding, carpets, window treatments and a sparkling bathroom. The room was also large as compared to other European accommodations. While we did not spend the extra money to stay in a room with views of the Acropolis, we enjoyed our balcony overlooking the newly constructed pool area and especially enjoyed the piano that serenaded us from the the pool each evening. Our stay included a buffet breakfast each morning that had something for everyone. We found the staff friendly and accommodating. At the last minute we had a change in travel plans and asked to extend our stay two nights, and the front desk staff quickly and graciously honored our request. In addition to all these wonderful features, the Royal Olympic Hotel is in the absolute best location in Athens. We easily took the Metro from the airport to the Acropolis station a block from the hotel. From this station we also travelled throughout Athens during our stay. The hotel is a short easy walk from Acropolis Hill and the Plaka area filled with shops and eateries ( believe me we are not "walkers" but this was a breeze) Directly across from the RO is another archeaological site housing the Temple of Zeus. The area around the hotel is also safe and attractive (not always the case with the location of other hotels we considered). Even relatives living in Athens commented on how easily accessible the Athens sites were from our hotel. As a last accolade I must mention that during our stay, a prominent soccer star also chose to stay at this hotel! So...if you're agonizing about your Athens stay...stress no more...book the Royal Olympic! Although you might be tempted to book a large chain hotel...none beat the location of the Royal Olympic.

We had a great time!

by TripAdvisor Member toriandneil

We stayed at the Royal Olympic for 4 nights and we had a wonderful time. The room was beautiful with all the amenities. A fruit basket and bottle of wine were waiting for us - totally unexpected. The pool was a treat and candlelit dinner by the pool was fabulous after a long-travelling day. The location was perfect - within walking distance of all the places we wanted to see.

I would definately recommend it.

Great Hotel!

I stayed at the Royal Olympic in early February.

This hotel is really nice. Our standard room was clean and we didn't have problems with any of the ammenities. The bathroom was quite large, with granite/marble floors and bathtub/shower. The beds were pretty comfortable and the rooms were good sized overall.

One of the nice things they have is a full breakfast for their guests. They have American things (pancakes and bacon) and European things for breakfast.

I would definitely stay here again if I ever return to Athens!

Not really 5*

by TripAdvisor Member BElge

We stayed in this hotel for one night in mid September. Staff was helpful, rooms were alright, our room had a balcony with a view to the swimming pool. We got a good deal as for a five star hotel, but the room was nothing like a 5*, especially bathroom. On our way back from the islands we booked another hotel (AVA hotel, 4* though) and for the same price we got an excellent deal - executive appartment, balcony with the views to Acropolis and Zeus temple.

Royal Olympic was alright, but I wouldn't choose to stay here again.

Shanghai Night is next to the Royal Olympic HotelShanghai Night is next to the Royal Olympic Hotel

Has anybody traveled on Triton Ship (Royal Olympic Cruises)

by Mariamadrid

hello, can anybody tell us if has traveled on Triton Ship by Greece islands and what is her/his opinion about it?

by travelgourmet

My wife and I sailed on a sister ship, the Stella Solaris, through the Greek Islands and had a ball. The smaller ships may not be as steady ( rock and roll) as larger liners (under 25,000 tons vs. 90,000 tons) because of the older ships not being stablized, but they can go places the large ships can't go .
One of my reasons to return to the Greek Islands was because I drove on the bridge that crosses over the Corinth Canal, and fell in love with the area and the idea of cruising through, under the bridge.
The Stella Solaris was able to go through the Corinth Canal and I stayed on the bow the entire lenght and took pictures as we passed under the bridge. Great itinerary and ports are the ones you want to visit, which the large ships can't.
Food is good, and the smaller amount of passengers makes it feel as though you are home.
Bon Voyage!

by Mariamadrid

Thank you very much for your information.

Re: Re: Has anybody traveled on Triton Ship (Royal Olympic Cruises)

by pedersdottir

Hello:
Isn't Royal Olympic the cruise line that declared bankruptcy in December 2003 and had to sell off its ships?

by travelgourmet

Hello again. I had to fine the answer for you regarding the Bankrupcy. Yes, they did file in Dec. 03 and came out with the Triton still on the books as of March 5,2004. They have resumed sailing with the Triton to the Greek Isles and are still on shaky ground. To read the report I found go to :
1) address: www.athensnews.gr
2)click on: business (on left side of page)
3)click on: search (in top boxes)
4) type in the words in article box : cruise
5) click on the "Cruising after bruising" article by author Elaine Green

I know this is a lot of work but it should help you make up your mind about cruising on the Triton.
Best wishes for a good cruise.

Comments