4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

Rated 13% lower than similarly priced 4.5 star hotels

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

A Gem in Athens, -A Steady Value!

The St. George Lycabettus hotel has a unique location right in the luxury area of Kolonaki centre, -the trendiest and most elegant district of Athens. If you happen to be out walking there is a possibility to come across different celebrities. The hotel is in a quiet neighbourhood away from noise and protest march or collision courses that unfortunately take place from time to time in the centre of Athens. It is on the slope of the Lycabettus hill where one can have a pleasant walk to the top at the chapel of St. George for the most stunning views of the City of Athens. There are different pathways all around the peripheral zone with an easy access for an enjoyable stroll.

The hotel is one of those family businesses with a long history behind and if I am not mistaken, the 4th generation overtaking the business the last 11 years. In fact the family owes the Hotel Apartment Rentals in Mykonos, Paris and St. Moritz as well.

I have stayed in this hotel several times in the past and I can tell it is one of my favourite in Athens. Attention is given to the guest and this is appreciated and it is one of the reasons why many return. Upon arrival we were made welcomed as always and it did not take us long to check in and have our bags taken upstairs.

Room: Our suite #407 on the 4th floor was this time overlooking the Acropolis again but from a much better angle than the suite we had last year. It was spacious, very comfortable and spotlessly clean. The soft colour of the walls was matching well with the furniture and the huge Queen bed added to the charm and style of the suite. I appreciated the espresso coffee machine, however I was kind of disappointed when I noticed that I had to pay 3 euros for each coffee. However, the usual coffee facilities of a hot water teapot with sachets of coffee and tea are free so I asked the waitress to bring me one such.
    I truly appreciated the treat we had in the room upon arrival –a platter of seasonal fruit and a bottle of water. The balcony was not that big but I cannot complain as it was comfortable enough to fit two chairs and a table. The view of the hill of the Acropolis could clearly be seen even if I was lying in bed and I found this amazing. I had the most stunning photos taken from our suite the two days we were there, not to mention the many photos I had with some of the most beautiful sunsets ever!
    The long desk-like stand was comfortable and I can tell that I spent quite a time out there working on my laptop. There was a mini bar on the side just below the TV set and a drawer and at the entrance corridor there was a very spacious wardrobe with ample of space, shelves drawers and a mirror. I always appreciate a second door in the room because it shuts out possible noise from the corridor. I have to mention also that slippers and robes and a safe are provided.

Bathroom: The bathroom again was much bigger and nicer than the one we had the year before. It seemed brand new, very clean and elegant. I cannot understand why some guests complain about the toilet paper stand which is hanging in crystal-like chain. I find this clever and stylish. It is obvious that many people are capricious and they cannot appreciate things and they do it out of habit and not because there is any reason. Towels were bright white, thick and had a pleasant smell of freshness.
    There was a kit with the usual things one expects to find but don’t expect to find a toothbrush or a comb (the comb is useless anyway) but there was a shoe polish kit which I don’t usually find in other hotels! I found the plastic cap a bit small so you can ask to be brought another one if you also find that it does not fit you. The ladies at the housekeeping are very kind and I had mine in seconds. I noticed that there was only one shampoo and one gel for two persons and a body lotion but again I asked and I was brought some. This request was answered in less than 5 minutes and the lady was really polite. For her and the rest of the staff she told me there was not trouble at all.

As a Guide Writer I am a person who travels a lot and during my trips I have to spend many days in different hotels each month. I know how hotels work, and I learnt to appreciate things but at the same time be demanding when I have to. I always urge people to kindly ask for extra toiletries if they need any instead of complaining afterwards when they get home. Let the people in charge know if something goes wrong immediately instead of spoiling your holidays with things that can surely be fixed. I am sure the management will do anything possible to meet the needs of their guests.

I was amazed with the progress of room service compared to other years. It was indeed a pleasant surprise seeing a lady from the housekeeping knocking the door to check if we need anything late in the afternoon. She had a huge smile and handed me two jelly candies and a blue card in gold letters. It shows the moon in gold and several stars and there is the word “good night” in 9 different languages! What a nice treat this is! It shows that somebody does care and surely this is the management.

Breakfast: Again I noticed the great difference and progress in the rich American Breakfast buffet this year. I could not believe it! Besides the nice presentation everything was fresh. I am not going to start mentioning everything but I can say that there was nothing missing. Apart from the buffet there was a side corner table very nicely set with all kinds of delicacies ideal for those who have a sweet tooth. All kinds of home-made desserts were out there, -pastry sweets with pistachio and nuts in different variations, “bougatsa” and baklava, “Kataifi” even some traditional sweets from Crete “kaltsounia” different cakes and all sorts of other goodies.

Staff: They are a bunch of professionals indeed. There are people who work for more than 25 years here and I met several of them. They are proud of working here, they respect the owners and guests and this is I am sure one of the reasons why the hotel stands out among other hotels in Athens. These people make the difference and it shows!

The Restaurant: Le Grand Balcon on the 6th floor is not only popular with guests who stay in the hotel but it is well known as a Signature Restaurant in Athens. As it gets dark it is transformed to a magic place to be. The lights of the city shine brightly all over and the highlight is the Acropolis which seems so close. In reality, the whole floor is a multifunctional spot operating as a Sophisticated Gourmet restaurant with exceptional dishes, a Dancing hall and occasionally a Conference centre. We had dinner one of the two nights which we found amazing but I have a separate review exclusively on the restaurant so I won’t expand in writing more comments here.

If you appreciate fine art you will find a great collection of inspiring and breathtaking works of art and paintings which decorate the interior corridors. I was so amazed and absorbed by the beautiful collection having a feeling that I was walking through an art gallery until I came across the S G Art Gallery found at the mezzanine of the hotel.

General: Out of curiosity I asked to be shown a couple of rooms on the ground floor. I wanted to check what the budget rooms look like. I had read negative comments like being very narrow, no balcony, and being old. I did not see what people described at all. The rooms look all right, they might not have a balcony but they are spacious, clean and yes…elegant. Instead of a balcony there is a huge glass window. The room might not be facing the Acropolis or a street sometimes but both room and bathroom have all the necessary amenities for a comfortable stay. They surely cost less.

Wi Fi internet connection is free on the terrace if I am not mistaken but if you want to have the connection in your room the rate is 6euros an hour, 18 euros for 24 hours and if you want it for 2 days the cost comes to 25.

I don’t recommend this hotel for people who have walking problems because the hotel is located on a slope, however there are several taxis waiting by the taxi-rank and they are around throughout the day and night. I don’t think there would be a problem if you afford to move by taxi.

We had an exceptional stay and I highly recommend it. I am sure if you stay here once you will want to return.

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

Excellent Location and Professionalism!

Starting with the location of the Hotel which is in one of the most trendy and elegant districts in Athens, it offers the best of Athens just in walking distance, right in the luxury areas of Kolonaki centre, -a place of celebrities and shopping.

The hotel has a long history behind it with the 4th generation overtaking the business the last 10 years and this is another reason that makes it so special and a gem in the city of Athens. It is a wholly Greek family business with no trace of fatigue.

During our 2 days stay I did feel the luxury class services offered to guests, -the fundamental motive of the staff and management here. There was a taxi strike and we were given a reminder leaflet upon arrival which proved very helpful since we had forgotten all about it. It is a hotel where guests are treated like VIP guests no matter the kind of booking they have made. Professionalism is at its highest point, and the management seems to be doing an excellent job providing an ambience that guests will surely want to return. It is indeed a home of luxury and privilege and over the years has established and proved that it is one of the finest hotels in Athens.

Our spotless charming room was not very big but it was stylish, comfortable and cosy. The bed was huge with an up and over bed head canopy which provided a creative and sophisticate centrepiece,-only wished I had more time to relax here.
    We had a surprise indulgence an hour after we arrived of some ouzo. Our little balcony was facing the Acropolis and it is magic sitting out here after sunset when the lights are on. What breathtaking views we had!
    I can admit that our bathroom was not very big either, but for our comfortable stay we had all amenities needed which were included in a kit, and there were ample of toiletries with the name of the hotel on, besides the 3 huge bottles of shampoo and bath gel above the bath tab. Towels were bright white, and bathroom robes and slippers were provided as well.
    The coffee and tea making facilities were also appreciated.

The American buffet was more than adequate with a great variety of cereals, omelette, sausages, salmon and mushrooms, cakes, jams, fresh orange juice, ham and cheese, bacon and anything one would dream of. Kyriakos the Cypriot supervisor of the restaurant has been working at this hotel for more than 25 years and he was telling me that the majority of people working here are dedicated to this hotel. I believe having people working in the same business for so many years, surely makes the difference and this is where professionalism and the success of the business comes!

The one and only day I spent here was actually not enough to visit the Sensia spa and when I asked to visit it I was told that it opens at 1:00 pm which was too late for me. I spent an hour up the terrace by the outdoor swimming pool enjoying a refreshing drink where I talked a lot with Nico, whom I found exceptional. He is responsible for the bar and the area on the terrace, with higher studies. I noticed how people greeted him with a smile that showed that he is doing a good job out there.

Le Grand Balcon on the 6th floor, -popular in all Athens and not only, is transformed to magic as it gets dark with the most beautiful panoramic views of the Acropolis and the Lycabettus hill which is in short distance. In reality, a multifunctional spot operating as a Sophisticated Gourmet restaurant with exceptional dishes, a Dancing hall and occasionally a Conference centre.

If you appreciate fine art you will find a great collection of inspiring and breathtaking works of art and paintings all over the premises. I was so amazed and absorbed by the beautiful collection having a feeling that I was walking through an art gallery until I came across the S G Art Gallery found at the mezzanine of the hotel.

In an attempt to find something negative I am obliged to mention that more businessmen would choose this hotel if it had a free internet connection. Of course there is a free wifi connection in the lobby but it is extremely slow. I had my own laptop and my own connection here since I live in Greece, but for foreigners this is a problem. At the basement of the hotel there is a parking lot but guests have to pay because it operates as a different business.

In all, our stay was exceptional, I would certainly love to return and I highly recommend it to all.

• Not quite 5 stars

This hotel is located at the most exclusive shopping area of Athens. In addition, some of its rooms and restaurant offer spectacular views. But that's about it, and these are the only things this hotel sells: location and view.
    For many, these can be good enough reasons to stay there despite its ridiculously high prices, particularly in terms of price/quality.
    Most definitely, not a five star hotel, in dire need of renovation and of a modern hotel management philosophy. Its current one belongs to the 70s.
    HX

• SurfaceTravel's Profile Photo

a good hotel, but a bit of a walk

We stayed at this hotel for five nights, then toured around Greece, and returned for one more night before flying home. It is a very good hotel with excellent large rooms and luxurious en-suite bathrooms. The service is good and the views are spectacular.

Be aware of the various degrees of a "view of the Acropolis". We had asked for such a view when we had booked the hotel, and we got one. We could see the Acropolis a little off to the right. It wasn't bad. The second time we booked in, however, we were given a different room, this time with an amazing view of the Acropolis, directly ahead of the room, a much better view.

It's almost a kilometre to the Plaka neighbourhood, and more so to the Acropolis and the Agora. It's a pleasant walk, but up a fair sized hill coming back.

I might not stay here again, but only to stay a little closer to the centre of the city. Otherwise, I would recommend this hotel to friends.

Directions: Up Lycabettus Hill about a kilometre from the tourist action.

• Lis4lou's Profile Photo

The most beautiful views of the Parthenon

We had a wonderful stay at the St George Lycabettus hotel. Our room comprised: a huge double bed, seating area, marble ensuite, balcony and a breathtaking view of the Parthenon. The room was cleaned and tidied each day and housekeeping would stop by each evening with chocolate for guests! We stayed over valentines and the hotel thoughtfully left us a gift of beautiful handmade chocolates and chocolate covered strawberries.

It was expensive to eat in the hotel - but we enjoyed exploring the area and ate out most nights.

We managed to get a discount by finding a deal on the hotel's website.

Unique Quality: Breathtaking view which we enjoyed every morning and at every sunset!

• aukahkay's Profile Photo

Panoramic view of Acropolis from the terrace

Located on fashionable Lycabettus Hill, the St George Lycabettus Hotel is a 5-star hotel with excellent amenities, restaurants and facilities. It is a short walk from the hotel to Syntagma Square and Panepistimou Street.

Unique Quality: From the roof top terrace of the hotel, you can get a commanding view of the Acropolis.

Directions: On Lycabettus Hill

• sweetbean's Profile Photo

Good hotel in Athens, Greece

My husband and I went to Greece for our honeymoon and we started off in Athens. We stayed at the St. George for 3 nights. The room was nice, a bit small. The queen size bed was actually 2 singles pushed together, so there was a crack between us. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The view from our hotel room balcony was incredible. The St. George is on the highest point opposite the Acropolis, so the views are unobstructed (if your room faces the right way). We were welcomed with a bottle of champagne and a fruit and cheese platter upon our arrival because they knew we were honeymooners.

Unique Quality: The rooftop restaurant has the best views in Athens, and the food was good too. A good breakfast was included every morning. There's also a rooftop swimming pool. Be prepared to do a lot of stair climbing to get to the hotel because it's located at the top of a pretty big hill. Otherwise, take a taxi from bottom to top.

• frenchbulldog's Profile Photo

athens friendliest hotel

In one word professionals here, they love your pet and have the most beautiful vieuw if you take your breakfast, the staff is excellent if you need them they will provide you with full information.

Unique Quality: Great views in the breakfast top floor area and ask for the balcony .
    Pet/animal friendly.
    Car valid parking.
    Fast taxi on demand.

Directions: Lycabettus hill

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

View from a hill

Situated on the highest hill in Athens the St. George offers excellent (but not cheap) accomodations. With luck you can have a room (like mine) that looks out over the Acropolis.

The location was quite good. A bit of a walk down the hill, but there was a staircase leading down that made the trip easier than walking the sloping sidewalks.

Unique Quality: The bartender was quite friendly, but the bar was quite expensive. The pool on the roof had a fantastic view of the city.

Most of the staff spoke multiple languages so it did not seem to be a problem if you did not speak Greek.

I heard French, Italian, German, and another language that may have been one of the Russian dialects.

Directions: Located in the Lycabettus Hills, the hotel's south side faces the Acropolis which is just about a mile's walk.

• Christianne's Profile Photo

St GEORGE LYCABETTUS HOTEL

St GEORGE LYCABETTUS HOTEL

Unique Quality: The South-facing rooms allow views to Acropolis and the East-facing rooms allow views to Lycabettus Hill.

More about Saint George Lycabettus

List of hotels

by Ruai about Handy hotels

Laziness is making me write an omnibus entry :-)

Top end
Grande Bretagne - Central, stately, with good restaurants and a nice rooftop bar area. Rooms are plush. Recently refurbished (and I doubt they'll ever get their money back!) Historically the no 1 hotel in Athens (its where Churchill stayed at the end of WWII!) PS they do a wonderful (and reasonable) afternoon tea if you want to experience the ambience without the wallet shock.

Hilton - Central (tho not as central). Possibly even more expensive, cool rather pared back interior and rooms to match. Good restaurants and a bar with a great view over the city. Also recently refurbished and was used by the Olympic committee as their HQ during the Athens Olympics in 2004 (you can still see a few symbols about :) Iconic modernist building. Possibly more popular than the GB at this stage.

There are many, many other fine hotels in the city centre (St George Lycabettus being one) but I'll leave you to find them yourselves. There are also many fine hotels on the coast but as I never stayed in any . . .

Parthenon - Great hotel located just outside Plaka which is deservedly popular (so hard to book). Good if you want to head straight to the Acropolis.

Titania - Handy location and very nice rooftop bar

Electra - Nothing special but nice hotel very centrally located on one of the main shopping streets (Ermou) of Athens

Adrian - Right in the heart of Plaka, this hotel has so-so rooms but is worth it for the location and, in Summer, for having a great place to have breakfast.

Plaka - Nicely refurbished small hotel in Plaka which is worth a look.

Dorian Inn - Good hotel recently refurbished in Omonia (not the best location for tourists but like the rest of central Athens safe enough)

2* At this level, things can get very hit or miss. There are a lot of places, but some of the best took the opportunity of the Olympics to refurbish and upgrade their rating to 3*. Really depends on whose running them as to whether they're flea pits or great little finds.

St George Lycabettus HillSt George Lycabettus Hill

Acropolis -View from St George Lycabettus HillAcropolis -View from St George Lycabettus Hill

Athens Hotel

Hi Guys
Can anyone pls suggest a good hotel close to the Acropolis in Athens for May 2007. Looking at $150 - $250 USD per night.

Thanks :)

RE: Athens Hotel

by brotherleelove

1. Magna Grecia Boutique Hotel: http://www.magnagreciahotel.com/hotel.php

2. Fresh Hotel: http://www.freshhotel.gr/

3. St. George Lycabettus Hotel: http://www.sglycabettus.gr/

#1 is closest, etc.

by scubaozgirl

Thanks so much for ur reply. The Magna Grecia was the one I was seriously considering but wanted a recommendation. Thx also for the links

by Ruai

Bit late but Parthenon Hotel just outside Plaka is v close to the Acropolis (no more than 5 mins away) Its a very nice, friendly 4 star :-)

athens.parthenon-hotel.tobook.com/Greece/Hotels/Parthenon-Hotel?citypname=Athens

by scubaozgirl

Thanks also will check that one out too !!! Not late at all, appreciate it. :)

Comments