Athens International Airport, Athens, Attica, 19019, Greece

Expedia.com Sofitel AMOMA.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 28% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• bookworm101's Profile Photo

The concierge was a guardian angel!

While I stayed in a city center hotel for my brief visit to Athens, I booked a room at the Airport Sofitel for the night before an early departure back to the States. Unfortunately, I broke my leg during my Athenian adventure and my travel insurance company provided less than stellar service. I asked them to arrange a early check in at the Sofitel and everything went smoothly from that point. Cab ride to the hotel, wheelchair and handicapped accessible room, my prescription...all was provided.

Room service food was fabulous, brilliantly presented, delivered at the promised time and a value for the quantity and quality of the food provided.
    New rules for me:

1) When travelling where you neither read nor speak the language, a 5 star hotel should be considered. (Your Lingo just won't handle every situation.)

2) Do not purchase travel insurance from an AIG company.

Unique Quality: Airport hotels are often advertised as 5 star, but some take advantage of their "captive audience." This was a 5+ star experience.

My only caution is the fact that the subway station at the airport is closed and a cap ride into the city is 40 minutes to an hour.

Directions: right across from the airport arrival area

• iaint's Profile Photo

good place!

My young son and I had an overnight here in about 2002, when the hotel and new airport were not long open.

I like the Sofitel brand, and this place is certainly no exception. Good quality, good value.

You can get the metro into the city from the airport if you have a bit of time on your hands - we didn't unfortunately, so I'm still waiting to see Athens after 4 visits to the airport!

Unique Quality: Location - I love a genuine airport hotel where you walk across the road to your room.

I hate getting on a shuttle bus and getting a tour of the surrounding countryside in the dark for 20 minutes...

Directions: It is just opposite the terminal - walking distance (50m)!

• tere1's Profile Photo

Excellent hotel except for service.

I stayed at the Sofitel Athens Airport for one night after coming from Santorini and before returning home and enjoyed it very much.

The hotel is situated right in front of the arrivals, you just have to cross the street. So, if you are going to catch and early flight you won't waste any time with traffic. Athens city center is still far from the airport.

The Sofitel Athens is very modern , has beautiful large rooms, with comfy beds, a desk , sofa and TV has lots of channels to choose from. The bathrooms are also gorgeous, with good toiletries, separate toilet and separate shower , with bathtube as well.

Restaurants are very expensive here but if you want to eat something and don't want to spend much I recommend you to cross the street and go and buy some food in one of the bars at the airport.

I had breakfast in my room and it was excellent. several types of breads, pastries, good coffee, fresh orange juice, jams, butters and honey. Expensive though, 22 euros per breakfast. It came in a nice tray with a flower vase. You can also have breakfast from the buffet downstairs.

The hotel is very expensive but you can get a much better rate by booking in advance at its webiste with the "early rate", full prepaid and non refundable.

The only negative I had with the Sofitel Athens was its bad front desk service. Not friendly or helpful.

Unique Quality: Two minutes from your check in or from collecting your luggage at arrival.

Directions: Right in front of Athens Airport.

• STRATOS79's Profile Photo

Hotel near the airport

Located opposite El. Venizelos airport Sofitel hotel is about 27 km from the center of Athens (35km from Acropolis) with 332 rooms,13 suits,2 bars,2 restaurants and indoor pool

• OiKnow's Profile Photo

Why Rush to the Airport?

There is nothing as nice as walking from your hotel directly to the check in counter at the airport. At most airports and with most airlines you need to check in for a flight from Europe to North America two to four hours ahead of flight time. If you add to this the time needed to get from the city center to the airport (in Athens the Metro ride takes 45 minutes, but the trains to the airport only leave about once every 30 minutes; by the time you get to Monastraki or Syntagma to board the line to the airport you need to allow at least 90 minutes) you can find yourself needing to leave your hotel at sunrise to make a noon flight. An easier option is to stay at the airport the night before you departure. Sofitel is the only hotel at the airport in Athens. We did not find any other hotels that were really close to the new airport. The Sofitel is very, very nice; first class in every sense of the word. The room was very large, very quiet, very comfortable, and had a wonderful view. It is a 5 minute walk across the street and into the arrivals level of the airport (take an elevator or escalator up one level to the departures area.) Yes, the hotel is expensive, but what is an extra 2 hours of sleep worth before you leave on a very long airline flight? Look for internet specials (friends of ours found an online special for around 100 Euros, we paid about twice that and still consider it worth it.)

Unique Quality: The only hotel at the airport.
    First Class.
    Very comfortable and quiet.
    5 minute walk into the terminal.
    Less expensive restaurants can be found in the airport terminal (in the public areas of the building.)

Directions: Next to the Metro station at the airport, just across the street from the terminal

• AndyRG's Profile Photo

At the airport...

"Sofitel Athens Airport Hotel" (5 stars) was open to the public on 1/11/2001. It is located next to the airport of Athens, "Eleftherios Venizelos". This luxury hotel has 345 rooms, 188 of them are deluxe.
    If you are rich enough, you can stay there...

More about Sofitel Athens Airport

Disappointing stay - Sofitel Athens Airport

by TripAdvisor Member pijanka

Although the hotel itself is lovely, noise from the floor above prevented me from sleeping. Although I called down to reception to inform them of the problem, I was told it was probably someone coming into their room. The noise continued for over 2 hours, until 1am when I finally went to the floor above to find out what was going on, and it appeared that the room may have been being used by staff going in and out. I went to reception and asked for earplugs, and was directed to the pharmacy at the airport.

Overall, a disappointing stay.

Nice Hotel, Convenient Location

We stayed at the Sofitel Athens on the last night of our honeymoon in early September as arranged through a travel package. The location, a short a walk across the street from the airport, is definitely a plus! We appreciated the cleanliness & decor and the modern bathroom. The hotel is also near the airport metro line which we found convenient for our last minute shopping trips around Athens. For early morning departures, there's a pastry/coffee breakfast service availble as early as 4AM. Hotel rates seemed a little on the steep side, so beware.

Amazing Hotel

I stayed in this hotel for one night and it was for free. I was supposed to fly with Delta airlines from Athens to New York but the flight was cancelled because the pannel on the plane's wing was missing so, I stayed in Sofitel Athens airport hotel for free. : )

The room I stayed in was big, it had nice comfortable soft beds to sleep on with very clean white blankets. (I have never slept on a bed like that in other hotels I've been to).

The bathroom was beutiful it had a bathtub and a shower room together and a glass door to go in. Shampoo and soap was available and I was able to take a relaxing shower.

The hotel's restaurant was great with beutiful dinning tables and delicious food, salads and deserts for lunch and dinner. For breakfast they had everything you wanted.

The room also had a alarm clock and a temperature regulator. (I have never seen that in a hotel before)

The T.V. had cable and several channels with different languages.

I hope I get to stay in this hotel for a vacation next time.

Great way to end our trip

by TripAdvisor Member acolaco

We had just returned on a late flight from the islands, and our flight to London did not leave until the next day, so we booked a room at the Sofitel. Being an airport hotel, we were not expecting much. Location was obviously ideal - literally across the road from the arrivals lounge, it took us 2 minutes from baggage claim to get to the hotel front desk. We also noticed the train station is right behind the hotel, and downtown is only a 20-25 minute ride away if you are bored.

We did not eat dinner at the hotel restaurant, but we ordered room service - which was by far the tastiest room service food we have had in some time! Breakfast was included in our room rate, and was a full buffet, including both hot and cold breakfast foods. We also used the gym and swimming pool, which are located on the top floor of the hotel. Both were decent, though nothing spectacular, with a treadmill, cycle, stairmaster, free weights and some weight machines - basically, what you expect in an airport hotel. There is also a small salon on the premises.

The rooms themselves are large, modern, very well lit - and you don't hear a sound of airplanes at all. In fact, it is sometimes hard to remember this is an airport hotel. As with other reviewers, we thought the bathroom was luxurious, with marble counters, and a dual-jet shower that had a built-in shower bench and enough space for 4 (quite un-European). The beds were extremely comfortable as well, almost on par with the Westin Heavenly Beds.

One word of caution: I would stay away from the gift shop, which is very pricey - for example, we bought ouzo for 10Euros when the same bottle in the airport duty free was available for 6.

In summary, this hotel was well worth the price (half of what we paid earlier to stay at the Grande Bretagne), and a very pleasant surprise! We even recommended it to 2 of our friends who are traveling to Greece next month. If you want to be in the heart of action, stay in town... but for those with early flights out of Athens, who don't want to battle early morning rush hour and unreliable taxi cabs or don't like the idea of sleeping on the floor of the airport, this place is a must - you won't be disappointed.

Help!

by sunset_gal

We are really getting quite desperate. We are coming in from the airport in the night and need an inexpensive room in the centre. We have tried asking hotels near Syntagma where the 24 hour airport bus stops but none have availability.

Is there another alternative? There are plenty more choices in the Omonia area. If we were to take the metro straight from the airport to Monastiraki and change another line, I'm not sure if there will be enough time. Our flight gets in 10.45 pm. At what time does the last metro from the airport leaves and how long is the journey to Monastiraki?

Please let us know if you have any hotels to recommend. Thanks in advance!

RE: Help!

by steve_oooo

hi
it all depends on just when you'll be going and how many of you there'll be. a friend of mine had to go to athens on business at short notice, and had problems with availabilty and priceb and ended up staying at the Sofitel Athens Airport, which wasn't exactly cheap, gicen the short notice but good enough for his needs. check out destinia.com as they have some decent offers.
cheers
s

RE: Help!

by okinawa_wave

Hello...
My wife and I stayed at the Attalos Hotel the last time we were in Athens. For the price, it was well worth the money and had an amazing view from its beer garden, especially at night. It is located very close to Monastiraki Square so it is also convenient. http://www.hotelsofgreece.com/athens/attalos/
Syntagma is expensive. I stayed in a hostel once, which I cannot remember the name, and another time was in the Cypria Hotel, which was a bit expensive but very nice...
As far as the metro goes, I remember trying to catch the metro from the airport late and it was already shut down, but I would check again anyway as it might be different for weekdays and weekends. I am not ture what your budget is, so check out this link for more hotels in central Athens...
Good Luck!
Kenny

RE: RE: Help!

by Erin09340

We stayed at the Attalos Hotel also. We had a lousy room with an uncomfortable bed, but that hotel was easily accessible and a good price, which counted for a lot. We also stayed at the Hotel Cecil a block away. We arrived at 1 AM from a ferry. Once again, lousy room but accessible and cheap. And the Monastiraki stop is quite conveniently close to both hotels.
I don't know about the train trip from the Airport, we took a cab and I don't think it cost us more then 20Euros. Maybe we got lucky, I've heard horror stories about cab drivers.

Comments