The Athens Gate Hotel

Tags

Business Travel Spa and Resort Historical Travel
See Amenities
greekcypriot's Profile Photo

It has the Whole Package….Book without Hesitation!

by written on January 14, 2015

A Central Family & Business Clientele accommodation. I spent 3 nights at this lovely 4* hotel in December. This was my second visit.

LOCATION: Superb location, very close to the Acropolis Museum and the main highlights of Athens. Syntagma is a 10 minute walk while the Acropolis metro station only 2 and it is right across the temple of Olympian Zeus.*

CHECK-IN: It did not take long to get the key to my room. The service was efficient and extremely friendly. *

STAFF/SERVICE: The overall level of service was excellent. The guys and ladies (Kiki & Amalia and the boys whose names I miss) at the reception, the management, the lady looking after my room (Mileva) and the guys at the restaurant were a bunch of professionals and really nothing was too much for them. Everyone is extremely polite and helpful making guests feel at home. *

AMBIENCE: The entrance is small, but you feel a relaxed and pleasant atmosphere the moment you step in. Due to the festive season the lobby was beautifully decorated. There are several spots to unwind both on the ground floor by the small bar, as well as up on the terrace.*

LOBBY BAR: Guests can enjoy their beverage or cocktail and unwind in the relaxing and most inviting superb lobby lounge. Modern and comfortable sofas provide the perfect point on the ground floor to recline and watch the world go by. The attentive staff do everything possible to provide this extra touch of personal attention and make you feel at home. Snacks and finger food are served along with cocktails and coffee.
The foyer is the other cozy spot to unwind and relax, next to the fireplace. Magazines and different books can keep you company while pleasing to the ears music is heard all over the building. *

ROOM: The room was on the 5th floor this time #505. The double glazed wall window and door opens to a small balcony with a breathtaking view. The room is spacious enough and its minimalistic touch of décor is very inviting, cozy and pleasant. There is plenty of storage space, the bed really comfortable while linens have an extremely bright white color and are changed every other day while towels, daily. I found a sachet of lavender next to the pillow …what a nice treat for a pleasant sleep!

The welcoming treat was a bottle of red wine together with snacks to pair with. Have in mind that coffee/tea facilities are missing. In that case you need to go up to the beautiful terrace or the lobby bar. *

BATHROOM: Average size, well maintained and spotlessly clean. I always find the idea of a walk-in shower more convenient, and this is the case here. With a very cleverly glass opening, there is extra light coming in the bathroom from outside. You can have a shower and watch TV for example or admire the breathtaking view behind the glass windows, directly from that opening. I find the idea smart.

In all, the room was very comfortable with nothing missing. From a flat TV, to a Safe, a Mini Bar, to Slippers, a Hair dryer a Robe and a magnifying wall Mirror. The mini bar was fully packed and proved handy. Ladies’ tiny face towels were also provided! *

WI FI: Very shortly internet will be provided complimentary in all rooms. At this point guests are charged €4 an hour or €14 for one day. This is totally free however in all common areas. The matter is to be settled for good not after long. *

BREAKFAST: The buffet had everything one expects to find out of a 4* hotel, enough to meet the needs of demanding guests. Home-made pastries, (spinach and cheese pies) cakes and biscuits, omelets, sausages and bacon, grilled tomatoes, cheese and feta, vegetables as well as cereals. Fresh orange, & tomato juice is nicely presented in crystal jugs by the bar. Nothing missing. It would keep me full until dinner.*

ROOF TOP RESTAURANT: Spectacular View! It is listed as the No.4 of Roof Top Views of the World, of Acropolis and all the major sights that the city of Athens presents.*

CUISINE: Even though the cuisine is tiny yet it is not a problem for the professional Chef de Cuisine Dimitris Karampampas to have everything under his control and present the best. I had the opportunity to meet and talk extensively on the new menu during my stay. A talented young man who makes the most out of his cuisine with a professional team. I had the opportunity to try several of his dishes and I was amazed. The menu is promising. Ask for it and check this for yourselves.*

DINING:
BEVERAGE: I paired my dishes with a ruby red wine (Greek Wine Cellars) An ‘Agioritiko’ type of wine, -Black Swan. Its full body aftertaste with the delicate aroma paired well with what we were served.
SALADS: Out of the 3 salads I had the Spinach one. The almonds and sundried tomatoes add a nice flavor and color. The salad is served with grilled ‘Manouri’ cheese, honey and balsamic. A refreshing salad, low in calories and extremely tasty. €14.00

The other two were the Dakos salad with feta cheese. I noticed the couple next to us having it and it looked great. This one costs €11.00. The last one is a Cabbage & Carrot salad with salami, hot pepper and citrus dressing. €12.00. *

STARTERS:
I found all 4 appetizers challenging. Each and every one seemed so tempting that I asked to try them all and thankfully I did not go wrong.*

SOUP: The Veloute Carrot soup with ginger orange and hazelnut is a must! An exquisite taste, spicy to the extent that you will love it. A soup is always the best way to start your meal, and this one definitely worth a try. It was so good that I asked for more!

The second appetizer on the list is the Sweet potato dish. The presentation is great, and the crisps of potatoes are topped with fresh spinach leaves and accompanied in a separate bowl with a dip of feta and red pepper. A dish I don’t come across often but I highly recommend. €10.00.

If you like mushrooms you will love the Grilled Portobello dish with goat cheese served and topped with smoked ‘Apaki’ ham from Crete. Thick, juicy and extremely flavorsome! €12.00.

The Marinated Octopus served with yellow lentil puree was another outstanding delight. Nicely presented and decorated with orange and caper leaves. There is no way not to like it. It will definitely leave you a summer feeling. €15.00.*

PASTA: There are 3 on the list ranking between €12.00 and €16.00. These are the Fresh Penne with Roasted vegetables and Greek ‘Katiki’ cheese, the second one costs €14.00 and is Greek traditional pasta with spicy fried sausage. It is served with peppers & tomato sauce. For €16.00 you can get the Ravioli stuffed with spinach and ricotta. The pasta is served with a pesto of sun dried tomatoes and ‘feta’ cheese. The combination is great so for somebody fond of pasta the 3 alternatives are a challenge. *

RISOTTO:
Risotto is always one of the most popular dishes I come across in several restaurants lately. There are 2 different versions here. I skipped the Prawn risotto since I recently had it, and tried the one with Asparagus, smoked Pancetta and parmesan. The latter is optional and I did not bother with the cheese, only to experience the real taste. Creamy and luscious with a fragrant flavor of the smoked pancetta, it is a dish to count for sure. €16.00. *

MEAT DISH: The Grilled Pork Tenderloin is definitely not to be missed. I tried a tiny piece. The pork tenderloin was moist and full of flavor. €19.00. *

SUGGESTED MEAT ALTERNATIVES: With pleasure I would return and taste one or two Meat Dishes on another visit. Perhaps the Lamb with bulgur wheat & herb sauce, or the Braised Beef served with Carrot cream. The Rib-eye steak with babe baked potatoes was another dish I believe I would love to taste. The cost is €24.00, €17.00 and €26.00 respectively.*

DESSERT: I was already so full that I only asked to have one scoop of ‘loukoumi’ flavor ice cream out of curiosity as I never had it. For somebody who has a sweet tooth the taste was great. For me it was a bit sweeter than average but again, in general I am after light versions of sweet delicacies myself.
Desserts rank from €7.00 with the Ice cream, the Lemon pie and Cheese cake at €8.00, the Chocolate Cake with Ice cream of your choice is at €10.00 and finally, Oreo & Cookies pastry with grated biscuit at €11.00.*

SIGHT-SEEING: Athens is a city which can easily be explored on foot, and the location is ideal for this. Put on your comfortable walking shoes and set out through central roads which have been transformed into pleasant pedestrian walkways. In one outing you can have it all: the Acropolis, ancient sites, museums, unique photo angles, coffee breaks and of course Plaka, with its beautiful neoclassical buildings. If you feel tired at any point, use the subway to return back to the hotel. *

THE OVERALL IMPRESSION: The hotel has the whole package: location, excellent service, pleasant environment, the most spectacular view of the Acropolis, and professional staff. Whether you are in Athens for holidays, a business trip, or just a weekend to unwind and do your shopping don’t hesitate. Book here and leave the rest to the people in charge. You will feel spoilt and like me you will want to return. Thank you guys for making my stay a pleasant one!

greekcypriot's Profile Photo

Excellent service - Superb Location!

by written on April 12, 2013

It can be considered both a Family oriented and a Business clientele hotel. Even though it was fully renovated 6 years back, it is SO NEAT, and spotlessly clean that it seems like it was only renovated a year ago! It is a non-smoking hotel and its modern simple touch of the interior is cozy and functional.

LOCATION: I can give one word for its location….SUPERB!
It is just 500 metres from the Acropolis, only 100 metres from the New Acropolis Museum and a 10 minute walk from the bus stop where you get the X95 from/to Airport for 5.00 euros. In this case there is no need to worry about taxi fees which would have cost you more than 40.00 euros –one way!

It is so close to the Commercial centre of Athens and yet away from the area where once in a while demonstrations take place. It is only 1 block from the Athens Acropolis Metro stop. For tourists who have just a couple of days, even hours but want to see much and on budget with no time to waste in transit, this is the ideal hotel to stay with no regrets.

WARM WELCOME: I was touched by the warmth of their welcome here from the moment we stepped in until we left. We were offered cold fresh water and ‘loukoumi’ –a turikish delight! I am indeed surprised why it is called turkish delight since it is Greek!! In minutes we were up in our room with no delay.

STAFF & MANAGEMENT: I can highly speak of the friendliness of the Staff and Management –happy faces, impeccable service, professionalism and open-hearted people that indeed made our stay unforgettable. The guys at the reception are eager to help with knowledge of the round area so the guest can rely on their precious tips.

You see, “Attention to the Guest” is the first Priority out here, with many guests keep coming back for years. Repeaters are upgraded depending on availability.
For the last 4 years I have been the Local Expert of Greece and Cyprus on a site that has to do with tourism, and with my expertise knowledge I try to help and advice visitors with tips and suggestions that will make their trip more interesting. When I come across tourists in hotels I like chatting with them trying to dig out possible negatives from their stay or from their trip. Well, I chatted with several out here and there was not even a single person to mention something bad regarding this hotel. On the contrary they were sorry that they had to leave and only wished they were able to stay longer.

I noticed that the staff works on the least detail for the comfort, preference, taste and style of each and every guest. The people at the reception -I remember Kiki and Stelios but even though I miss the names of the rest they were all amazing. I had a long chat with Chrisa the young lady at the Bar on the Top Roof, I also talked with Dimitri Tsivikas, Thomas and Michali, and George Kaloudis. I found them skilful, professional and very attentive. Keep up the good work guys!

ROOM & BATHROOM: We had room #605 overlooking the Temple of Olympian Zeus. It had a minimalistic feel. I cannot say that it was big but it was spotlessly clean, functional, and comfy. I loved the idea of the oblong window by the bathroom wall. It made the bathroom brighter, and I could have my shower and at the same time watch the news, or enjoy the spectacular view of the ancient temple and greenery extending through the wide balcony window.
The bathroom was quite large with a centre piece of furniture with shelves for the towels which were bright white and fresh.
Toiletries –the “Karavaki” brand were ample.

Double-glazed windows keep traffic noise away ….but I always carry my earplugs just in case! Rooms on the lower floors surely have more noise so have a set of them in case you are given a room on a lower floor. Coffee/tea facilities are only provided in the suite but as a traveller again I have my own miniature kit for my afternoon coffee. Of course there is the alternative of the Roof Top Bar where you can enjoy your drink overlooking the spectacular view.
COMPLIMENTARY TREAT: I appreciated the two tiny dark chocolates and the sachet of lavender I found on our Queen bed…for sweet dreams! A nice gesture indeed!

FACILITIES: There was a safe in the room, a mini bar, a hair dryer and a flat T.V. set. Huge mirrors –on the whole surface of the wardrobe proved handy as well. I asked to see a few rooms just to have the whole picture of what the hotel has to offer and out of the 99 rooms, 60 have Queen beds, some are twin bedded, but the one and only Junior Suite has a Jacuzzi bath tub and shower, -the bathroom of the suite overlooks the Temple and the beautiful path park beside it. I also asked to see a budget room which I found indeed beautiful, spacious and comfortable with the only negative that overlooks walls. This won’t be a problem though if you are busy all day long and out of the building. All rooms are identical in size, décor and colour with the only difference those in lower floors overlooking buildings. It certainly worth paying some extras for a room with a view!!
All rooms are equipped with an electronic sign system next to the door for the “Do Not Disturb or Make up the Room”.

FOYER: It has great contrast to the outside pavement on the high road, the foyer opposite the reception desk has a modern touch, and it is comfortable with a wall fireplace. This must be extremely popular on cold winter nights.

LOUNGE: The lounge on the side of the ground floor is nicely furnished with comfy sofas that blend perfectly with the modern stylish interior. There is a smaller corner bar out there where I had a cocktail and my husband enjoyed his snack the second day of our stay. The service was great.

Wi Fi CONNECTION: High speed Wi Fi is available throughout the hotel. In the lobby and restaurant/bar for free. (There are two computers in the lobby with a printer). You can purchase an internet card from the reception for use in the room and the cost of course varies. For an hour it will cost you 4.00 euros, for a whole day it is 14.00, the two day card costs 24.00 and for 4 days the cost is at 36.00 euros.

CONFERENCE ROOM: Just above the reception desk on the mezzanine level there is a reception area with a Conference and Meeting Room which can accommodate up to 100 people. Services include a quick and convenient copy service, and fax. The whole area is ideal for hosting a conference, organize an event, or arrange formal dining.

BREAKFAST: In an attempt to congratulate the Chef for the excellent cuisine and an amazing breakfast I had the opportunity to meet Stratos. Breakfast out here was honestly beyond my expectations –everything was fresh and delicious and the variety rich.
It is actually an American Breakfast based on Greek fresh products of the best quality. I loved the idea of ‘koulouri’ and ‘bougatsa’. I urge you to try both. Spinach pies with puff-pastry were also delicious. There was a fresh chocolate/vanilla cake daily, orange and grapefruit juice, sausages, omelette, rice pudding, honey and fresh seasonal fruit, amazing coffee, cereals and milk and many more. I was not happy with the fried eggs though because the yolk was dry. (Omelette however was good)!

THE VIEW: I have never before been to a restaurant as close to the Acropolis as this one -Listed as #4 Roof Top Views of the World! The view is spectacular no matter what time of day or night you come here. It is no need to get out searching for a restaurant with a view if you have all this at the place where you stay!
TIP: Between us, restaurants in the touristy area of Plaka are not only expensive but a rip-off. At the same time you cannot be sure of the quality of food offered. I am talking about the spots where tourist agencies book to host tourists and you don’t see Greeks around. Try to avoid them!
The view of the city from the hotel's Roof Top is possibly the BEST in the whole of Athens.

EXPLORING/ROUND AREA: Be sure to have on a pair of comfortable walking shoes. Central roads have been transformed into pleasant pedestrian walkways but if you plan to walk up Plaka’s steep alleys you will surely need them.
Besides the Syntagma Square and the House of Parliament the National Gardens, the Temple of Olympian Zeus, Hadrian’s Gate which are all in short proximity you can take the way around the Acropolis Hill –known as the Archaeological walk of Athens” as it passes through the most significant ancient sites of the city, giving the opportunity to start the tour from many different points. The ideal part of the tour starts at the Acropolis Metro Station and ends up at Monastiraki. In other words, -a circular walk along 3 pedestrian roads. Dionisiou Aeropagitou, Apostolou Pavlou and Adrianou.
Tourists can use it to visit the Acropolis,Dionysus Theatre and the Acropolis Museum, the Acropolis Monuments and the famous Agora. It ends up at Thission and the Temple of Ifestos, -an area full of spectacular views of the Acropolis, with many café bars and the popular Monastiraki Flea Market.

I mentioned above that the location of the Hotel is simply superb because with one outing the tourist can have it all: the Acropolis, ancient sites, museums, unique photo angles, coffee breaks and a stroll in Plaka, with its beautiful neoclassical buildings. I urge tourist to use the subway to return back to the hotel in case they start feeling tired!

In all, I highly recommend the Athens Gate Hotel for all the above reasons and I will definitely return. Thank you guys for making our stay interesting….especially the guys at the bar and restaurant.

iaint's Profile Photo

top class

by written on December 26, 2010

This place is wonderful.

I arrived hungry and exhausted about 10pm (local) after a long and fraught trip from Scotland. I just dumped my stuff in the room and went straight to the rooftop restaurant. I then had my breath taken away by the stunning view of the floodlit Parthenon. Dinner could have been beans on toast for all I cared.

In fact the dinner was excellent. A light prawn & cheese (true...) salad. Really delicious. Then fish soup. Also superb. A couple of glasses of white wine to wash it all down, and I was feeling brand new.

The hotel location is ideal - round the corner from Acropolis and Plaka. The rooms are excellent - stylish, spotless and comfortable. The service is friendly, efficient and relaxed.

My room had a picture window (and full length balcony) with an astonishing view out over the Temple of Zeus to the Panathenaic (Olympic) stadium.

I liked almost everything about the room - the lighting, the bedding, the view, the balcony, the shower, the toilet...

My rate included the buffet breakfast - also complete with a daytime view of the Acropolis. The breakfast is also very good.

They charge for wifi, but offer a PC in reception for free use by guests.

DK’s “Top 10 Athens” guide rates it among the top 10 high end hotels. I’d go along with that anytime. I was about €100 per night booking a month in advance for late December 2010.

Only one slight drawback - it is on a very busy street so if you can’t cope with 24 hour traffic noise, it’s not for you! They may have some rooms at the back, but they may not have the views...

Unique Quality: Style, service, location, value for money...is that enough to be going on with?

Directions: About 200m from Acropolis metro station, opposite the Temple of Zeus.

konejos's Profile Photo

Good Athens (Greece) hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 16, 2009

Although I recommend the Athens Gate Hotel and would stay there again, there were a couple of things that perhaps could be improved on. People say how good the breakfast was. Well, it was very average but compensated for by the fabulous views from the breakfast room of the Parthenon and other ruins. The wi fi should be free. You buy a wi fi card -- 5 Euro for 90 min., 10 Euro for 200 min. and a lot for the entire day. The other little problem was the elevators. There were two small elevators for something like 59 rooms. During breakfast hours this was a bit of a problem.
The good things include the hotel being very clean, very friendly staff (in fact I liked the Greek people, in gereral), super location, nice public area, a short block to the Placka area, near a metro stop, and fantastic breakfast room view. I liked the hotel and staff a lot. Also there was a stocked mini bar in the room and a safe.
The rooms without a view, most inexpensive run about $160/night for 2 persons. Other rooms run about $100 a night more
One suggestion, turn right going out of the hotel for about a block and there is a great restaurant set back a few meters in a green area. This was much better than any food I had in the Plaka. The food was great and the service even better and the cost was very well worth it.

Unique Quality: Fantastic view from the breakfast room of the Acropolis and Parthenon. Also great views of other ruins.
The location can't be beat. Short walk to the Plaka.
A very short walk to the new Acropolis museum and close to the Akropoli metro stop.
About 5 block walk to Syntagma Square. Bus X95 runs from the airport to Syntagma Square. The cost of the bus is 3.2 Euros per person.

Directions: About 5 blocks from Syntagma Square and a short block to the Placka.

rstary's Profile Photo

Beautiful Location with Rooftop Views

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 9, 2008

I thought this recently renovated hotel was wonderful. It was directly across from the Temple of Zeus and easily reached by metro from the airport. We were well received by the front desk and the room was spacious and the bathroom and shower facilities much to our liking.

Unique Quality: They have a wonderful rooftop view of the Temple of Zeus and the Acropolis. Their breakfast (included) is at this rooftop restaurant. It was a wonderful place to have cocktails in the evening and enjoy the breathtaking surroundings.

Directions: Temple of Zeus

siver's Profile Photo

It is basic

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 12, 2006

It is budget type, decent room, right across street of Zeus temple, metro 1.5 block away. Has a bar at the top of the hotel, nice views (day and night) of the city and the Acropolis.

Nearby The Athens Gate Hotel

• Suites
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Bar / Lounge

Athens Travel Forum

Need advice about Athens, Greece? Visit the Travel Forum for Athens and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Athens hotel reviews