68 Km Athens, Sounio Ave, Sounio, Attica, 19500, Greece
Orbitz.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 21% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Sounio

See the buses? (left corner)See the buses? (left corner)

Aigyptou Square, looking eastAigyptou Square, looking east

Intersection with Patision St (Aigyptou Square)Intersection with Patision St (Aigyptou Square)

Street vendors at the disembarkation stopStreet vendors at the disembarkation stop

Temple of Poseidon, Part II

by SandiM

So, I contacted my hotel in Athens and they tell me that I can easily take a bus (once an hour) to get to Cape Sounio from a stop close to the hotel. This is great! However, the bus website I searched said that the last bus back to Athens was at 630pm. So, here's the question. If we miss that last bus, can we grab a taxi nearby back to Athens and if so, does anyone know the approximate cost? I doubt we'll be longer, but I thought I'd cover my buttsky. Thanks!

by leics

No taxis avaialable near the Temple when I visited, although the restaurant will probably be able to order one for you if required. Sounio is tiny, and the temple is outside the village.

It will not be a cheap ride back to Athens (or to the nearest bus/tram stop). It's around 76km.

If you think you may miss that bus (and sunset is likely to be later than 6.30pm) why not think about taking one of the organised 'Sounio at sunset' tours from Athens?

by SandiM

Well, leics, I found that Greece Taxi wanted 170euros for a private tour at sunset. I think there's a bus tour, and probably cheaper, so I'll look into it. I just saw on tripadvisor.com that someone recently asked this same question and was told that the last bus was at 8pm. I think it's KTel that runs the bus line, right? I can't find a decent enough website to show me schedules. I'm going in 2 weeks, so it's coming up. I think sunset at this time of year over there is running about 6pm is it not? I viewed a webcam and it looked like it...

by leics

You can find sunset times for Athens (i.e. more-or-less Sounio) here:

Nearer 7pm than 6pm at present.

You'll find your hotel has info about tours to Sounio for the sunset. They will certainly be cheaper than the private tour you quoted....as I recall, around 40/50 euro (I was lucky enough to be able to meet a VT-er who drove me there).

Cheaper than bus + taxi back to Athens, I think.

I believe Ktel stopped posting their schedules online and require telephone enquiries. Which is daft. It is likely that the time of the last bus varies throughout the year according to sunset.

When I visited (about the same time of year) my VT friend had to drive me quite a substantial distance (about 30 mins) to get the bus back to Athens (and the bus took around 45 mins).

If you really want to see the sunset (and it is worth it, imo, as long as he weather is right) then an organised tour is probably the easiest way.

by Ouzone

The clocks go forward an hour in Greece shortly. Sunset local time should be around 19:50.
It's ATTIKI buses that go to Sounion, two routes one along the coast and one inland.
Here's the Greek timetable, Attiki KTEL. The destinations and the coastal/inland route timetables can easily be deduced. 20:00 seems to be last back from Sounion(coastal route) and 19:30(inland route). But that is out of date so you should check locally.

There is nothing much at Cape Sounion except a couple of nearby hotels. Maybe a night there would be cheaper than a taxi if you can actually get one there.

by gilabrand

The Temple and the view of the sea are very nice, but there really isn't much to do apart from walking around a bit and maybe having a picnic. No need to spend endless time there.

Travel Tips for Sounio

CAPE SOUNION at Classical Period I

by MITNIC

Sounion
A rocky peninsula jutting into the sea at the S end of the region lies 69 km SE of Athens. It is famous for its classical marble temple which was built on the highest point of the cape and dedicated to the god Poseidon. It became the site of religious activities at least as early as 700 B.C. and in later times it was frequently used as a place of sanctuary by slaves who had run away from the nearby silver mines at Laurion. The earliest literary reference to the site occurs in the Odyssey (3.278) where it is said that Phrontis, Menelaus' pilot, was struck down by Apollo as he was passing the sacred cape; in the winter of 413-412 B.C. during the Peloponnesian War, it was fortified to protect the ships carrying corn to Athens (Thuc. 8.4); and later it was held by the slaves from the mines at Laurion during a civic unheaval (Posidonios, cited by Athenaeus, 6272ff).

Take a tour to Sounio from Athens

by Kuznetsov_Sergey

This is a great half-day tour option for travelers looking to explore Greece beyond the confines of Athens, complete with stunning views and world-class Greek ruins.

If you happen to visit or even live somewhere in Athens or its area you will be probably suggested to take an evening tour to Sounio which is situated 70 km to the South of Athens. There are two reasons to agree: the first you will see the Temple of Poseidon (and it will be quite enough not to be sorry for the choice) and the second and the main - you will see fabulous sunset which is considered to be the most wonderful in Attica!

I’ve taken this tour in November of 2007 when the sun set at 17.30. So all the excursion took me 4 hours: 2 hours to Sounio with several stops at the sea coast, an hour for Sounio itself and an hour for coming back to the hotel in Vravrona near Athens.
It cost me 40€.

Phone: 22920 39363
Hours: Daily 10am-sunset
Additional fee inside the sight: €4.

You may watch my high resolution photo of Sounio on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 37º 38' 57.87" N 24º 1' 36.01" E or on my Google Earth Panoramio Sounio Poseidon Temple.

AEGEAN SEA

by LoriPori

A sea arm of the Mediterranean Sea, the AEGEAN SEA is located between the southern Balkan and Anatolian Peninsulas, ie between Greece and Turkey.
In ancient times there were various explanations for the name Aegean. It is believed to have been named after the Greek town of Aegae, or Aegea, a queen of the Amazons who died in the Sea or Aigaion the "sea goat". The popular belief, especially among Athenians, is that it was named after Aegeus, the father of Theseus, who drowned himself in the sea when he thought his son had died.

The temple of Poseidon

by Aggeliki

The most important sanctuaries for the ancient greek god Poseidon and Athina were built on Sounio Cape. The temple of Poseidon, was built on the summit of the rock rises 60m above the sea, and was surrounded by walls.It was built between 444 and 440 BC. on the orders of Pericles probably the work of the same architect who built the Theseum in Athens. Ancient Greeks believed that Sounio was the house of Poseidon, the God of the Sea.

Ticket

by gale.blog.pl

Here's a ticket to one of the objects :-) Just to let you know what it looks like.

Don't pay much attention to the price, I'm a student so I pay only half price - and I don't remember what sort of ticket this one was, full-price or half-price ;-)))

Comments