Voulamandis House

More about Chios

The Breasts of The Virgin MaryThe Breasts of The Virgin Mary

Kiria Panayiota DafnoKiria Panayiota Dafno

Tomatoes Ready for Pasta in PyrgiTomatoes Ready for Pasta in Pyrgi

I'd walk a mile for a Camel.I'd walk a mile for a Camel.

1 day in Chios

by Karenmillar

Hi, we have 1 day in Chios in November while on a cruise and was wondering what the must do's were.

Karen, New Zealand

Re: 1 day in Chios

by StefanosS

Drive south - southwest, about 35km, to the villages Mesta, Olymbi, Pyrgi. This group of villages is known under the name Masticho-choria (= mastic-villages). You will have a unique experience of Medieval fortified villages (still inhabited in full use) and of a unique local architecture/house decoration. See my pages on Chios island and on the above villages.

Re: 1 day in Chios

by aeleland

Hi Karen,
We are also on a cruise in November. What cruise are you on? We are on Azamara Quest , in Chios on Nov. 12th and are looking for the same as you.
If we are on the same cruise, maybe we can hire a private car and go to the villages?
Please advise.
Andrea

Travel Tips for Chios

New Year's Eve

by sinequanon

All customs in Greece relate to religion. Some of them come right down from pagan or ancient times and were incorporated into the Greek Orthodox religion.

My favourite custom and unique to Chios town takes place on New Year's Eve. The Chiots are known sea farers and this custom has to do with this. The boys of every neighbourhood in the town built their own navy ship for a whole year. This is an exact replica of existing navy boats with cannons, lights, and all the features of a real ship. Sometimes they reach the length of 3 mtrs or maybe longer. The boys dress up as sailors and pull the ship around the town stopping at every house, singing "praisies" to the house owners. The hosts return the gesture by giving them sweets and drinks and pocket money. All night long the cannons blow off as they go from one house to the other. The singing is accompanied by a local instrument , called "trabouka" made out of fired clay and leather.

It is a very moving custom as the praisies they sing are usually suited to each family talking about their sons who are sailors far away in the sea, their daughters, or their houses.

Nowdays all the ships from all neigbourhoods gather in the town square and the best ship and best singing crew gets a prize. They then proceed going around the houses like in the old days until dawn.

Volissos Ancient Church

by janetanne

This church was built on an old ancient Greek Nao, or pagan temple. It is now called Agia Barbara and is located just before you reach a curve in the road that goes to the main village of Vollisos. You can find the key to the church next door at the small house. I was surprised to meet a woman from Baltimore, Maryland who lived in the house with her two children and husband. She told me she had lived there for 26 years! Her daughter took me up to the church and opened it for me. I thought the hand carved wooden icon stasis was magnificent. The daughter told me that this wooden structure was about to fall over but that the Ministry of Ancient Artifacts and Archeology would not let anyone try to fix it! So, like so many other old churches and buildings throughout Greece, there are left unkempt and waiting for money from some wealthy and interested benefactor! Too bad that Greece is letting it's national treasures go to waste!

Emborios

by sinequanon

Emborios is far from a beaten path destination!

I included it here because it is the first beach that mainly attracts all the people. The next two which require quite some walking are less crowded and the more you distance yourself the more isolated you are. The third beach where the rocks form cavities to protect you from the midday sun is my favourite.

A totally black beach formed by the eruption of a volcano, looks frightening at first sight. The rough terrain and high vertical cliffs make it look awesome and impressive.

Because of the black pebbles this place gets really hot in the summer. Make sure you take lots of water and food with you.

To get there you must walk past the first beach over the rocks and continue walking as far as you like or can make it.....

Emborios is on the south of the island and can be reached by bus or private car. On the little port there are many fish taverns. Best avoided during August.

Portraits Please

by janetanne

As the time passed, we came to share our stories. I told them of how I had come to Chios in search of a paper showing that my father's father, my grandfather Ioannis Helios, had been written in the Town Hall. I told them of my quest to get Greek Citizenship and of the long, long, journey I had taken this far in my search for this one missing paper. They opened up to me and saw me not as a total stranger, but of a child of Chios, looking for my roots. They told me their names and gave me permission, with huge smiles, to take their pictures...if I promised to send them copies of the photographs when I returned to Athens.

This is the first picture I took, that has since been accepted from 5,000 entries, by National Geographic to be one photo published in the first week of September, 2007, in the "Daily Dozen' feature of on-line pictures submitted by ordinary people like myself! What an honour. I can only again, thank "Agia Ipomoni,' for giving me the patience to sit for those 3 hours and to get to know these lovely women of a village that soon will have lost its old ways, and its old women who have given it so much colour for my pages here on VT and in National Geographic.

Yet, there was still the church to be discovered....!!!

Korais Library - The Argenti Collection and Museum

by StefanosS

Chios library

The "Adamantios Korais Library" of Chios is the third largest library in Greece with a significant collection exceeding 150,000 volumes. It was established in 1792, as a department of the Great Chian School. Adamandios Korais (1748-1833), a scholar of Enlightenment and medical doctor, who gained the title of "Teacher of the Greek Nation", donated the first books and many of his friends, mostly Greek living abroad, followed.

Before the Massacre of Chios in 1822 it was the most important library of the whole region. After the major earthquake in 1881 it was moved into the present neo-classical building where it has remained ever since. Initially the building had only one floor; the second one was added after 1948 by the major donator Philippos Argentis. Important upgrades and additions to the building took place in the period 1975-78, again with initiatives by the Argentis family.

Besides its founder, many other Chians donated their personal book collections to the Library. It contains valuable manuscripts describing the events of the local history, the collection of rare books of Adamantios Korais, as well as the unique collection of documents related to Chios, owned once by Philippos Argentis.

The Argentis Collection and Museum

The "Museum of Popular Art" and the "Art Gallery" that share the same building with the "Korais Library" were initially constituted of the private collections of Philippos Argentis.

In 1932 he founded the Argentis association in order to save the popular and historical treasures of Chios. In 1937 an Ethnological Museum was set up in the building of the Highschool of Chios and its collection was soon enriched with new donations. Later on, Philippos Argentis decided to extend the Library building and thus a second floor was added so that the Folklore Collection and the Historic and Topographic Pictures of Chios would be all at the same place.

Comments