The tall Bridge
Chalkida is built on two shores, Evia island and Viotia (prefecture on the mainland). So Evia is connected with Viotia by the wire suspension bridge (known as tall or new). It was completed in 1993 south of the city, to avoid traffic congestion and to save travel time.
The ottoman mosque
Romans, Byzantines, Turks have left their signs in Halkida too... This mosque was made in the 17th century.
You can also visit the castle Karababa (1686) -where the grave of Greek poet Giannis Skaribas exists (the view is very nice)- or the ancient aqueduct.
Chalkida is about 70km north of Athens, about an hour by car but you can also go there by bus or train. It’s the capital of Evia island right over Evripus strip. In fact Chalkida city is built partly on Evia and partly at Viotia (mainland of Greece). The connection with Evia is easy because of two bridges, the old one (a historical bridge that used to be wooden and it’s nice to walk on) and the modern bridge (built in 1993) for the car traffic. Most of the visitors are people from Athens and the town near Chalkida so don’t expect to find any tourists around. It's just a nice day trip from the capital.
There are some interesting sights like the castle, the old bridge, some museums(archeological, folklore), some interesting buildings (the Red House, The House Of Statues, The Town Hall), the promenade with lots of cafes and taverns (with fresh fish but not so cheap), the medieval church of Agia Paraskevi, a mosque, the aqueduct, some beaches around etc
The most interesting thing about Chalkida was the weird phenomenon of Evripus waters. The stream change direction every 6 hours and you can see it over the old bridge.
Chalkida is the hometown of many famous greek people like the composer Skalkotas, the poet Skaribas, the painter Mitaras, the actor Makris etc
Chalkida, is the capital of Evia, one of Aegean islands. Is build on the strait of Evripos, 80 Km far from Athens and is accessible from a fork on the main Athens-Lamia highway. There are two bridges which carries traffic across the narrow Evripos straits with their tidal current. Chalkida has several hotels, fish taverns and restautants at both sides of straits.
Chalkis - Prefecture of Evia
Chalkis, Khalkis, Halkis, Chalkida, Chalkidha, Khalkidha, Halkida.
Evripos channel is a natural channel between Evia island and the Greek mainland, while the city of Chalkida is developed on both sides.
Many legends exist, trying to justify the almost unique tide phenomenon in this channel. Some researchers stayed on the illusion of explaining it while some others, unable to explain it, stayed admiring its magnificence. The water-flow in Evripos channel is changing direction about every 6 hours, a rare physical phenomenon, triggering the imagination and the curiosity of humans since the prehistoric times, searching for mythological, astronomical, physical and philosophical explanations. The place where the old bridge is built, is the narrowest point of the channel, and the water current can reach the speed of 15km (9 miles) per hour! It is really interesting to watch the reversion of flow direction that happens about every 6 hours. The exact time of reversion is determined by the position of the moon.
It is mentioned that a wooden bridge was constructed over Evripos channel in 410 BC, having a tower on each side for protection purposes. In 510 AD, Byzantine emperor Justinian made a drawbridge. During Turkish occupation the bridge was wooden and stable. In 1858 was changed to a wooden movable one and in 1896 an iron rotary bridge was constructed, that stayed in use till 1962, when the present draw-bridge was made. It is a fine observation point to watch the channel tide.
The new suspension bridge is the new entrance to the city. Its construction finished in 1993. Being an impressive achievement and built to the south of the old bridge, contributes to the easier approach of the city and the relief of the traffic.
Karababa castle was built by the Venetians after 1204, and was named Forte del Negreponte. It was one of the strongest castles of the time. It was occupied by the Turks in 1470 and was named Karababa, and later was rebuilt (1684) by the Venetian architect Gerolimo Galopo, being used until 1859. Some ruins of a big water cistern are preserved, as well as two Russian canons of the 19th century.
It is located on the stony hill Kanithos, on the land opposite to the island of Evia, not far from Evripos channel. The only building inside the castle is the chapel of Prophet Elias. By the castle is also the grave of the poet and writer Yiannis Skarimbas (1893-1984), overlooking the place and the city he loved.
The Archaeological Museum
The building was constructed at the early 20th century (1900-1902) and later extended to house in its yard the new collections of tombstones and Roman sculptures and the sculptures of the temple of Dafniforos Apollon at Eretria; this temple was destroyed by the Persians on 490BC. The rest exhibited articles comprise findings of the prehistoric settlement of Manika (3rd millennium BC), Mycenean pottery and statuettes, Roman votive offerings, Classic and Hellenistic coins from Chalkis, Eretria and Karystos etc.
You can also visit:
The Roman Aqueduct, sited at the region Kamares, to the north-east of the city. The water was coming from Kambia.
The prehistoric settlement of Manika
The temple of Artemis in Avlida
Although sited on the land opposite to the island, the area belongs to the Prefecture of Evia.