Andreas Studios & Apartments

Ipsos, Greece
Andreas Studios & Apartments
Travelocity HostelBookers.com

More about Corfu Island

nightshot of an alleynightshot of an alley

statue of Ioannis Kapodistriasstatue of Ioannis Kapodistrias

Hotel sunsetHotel sunset

Korfu Kontogialos accomodation CorfuKorfu Kontogialos accomodation Corfu

Seasickness

by Lady_Godiva

Hi VTers

I'm thinking of doing an Ionian flotilla cruise with some friends in the first or second week of September but I suffer from seasickness. I just got back from an island hopping sailing cruise in Croatia and was quite sick on that (though we did have some pretty bad weather!). The boats used for Greece are even smaller (http://www.sailingholidays.com/region-detail.asp_Q_RegionID_E_1)

Has anybody who generally suffers from seasickness had any experience on these yachts around Corfu, Lefkas etc? Do you think I should just bite the bullet and do the trip or be a wimp and stay at home?

by redneckinparadise

just a question...hv you not tried the patch behind the ear? I am prone to seasickness, but this patch worked for me in fairly rough seas...you also need to watch what you eat before and during..not to much alcohol. Also dont stay in cabin while underway but up on deck..maybe sit in middle and dont move your head around too much...if you havent tried the patch, ch with your physician..sometimes after effects.

by Lady_Godiva

I've tried Drammamine (spelling?) which actually makes me feel nauseous! And I tried Sturgeron when I was in Croatia, along with my pressure point wrist bands as well! I don't know about this ear patch thing. Maybe it's only available in the States.

by Tdiver

That time of year is windy so take any precations you can.

by VA_Dave

Try the new Dramamine II or Bonine (the same ingredients, I believe), they are much improved over the original dramamine. Take it at least an hour before the cruise starts. And test it before you leave to make sure it does not make you sick.

Have a great trip.

Travel Tips for Corfu Island

Gardiki - A voluntary donation required.

by Jerelis

We noticed that there was no guide or guidebook present. This ruin is there to explore all by yourself. Care is required, because the ground is uneven and steep in places and the walls may crumble a bit. For Iris this visit had another demension. She was very happy scrambling around and at the back of the fort she saw a tied up goat. Of course she wanted to caress it, but once we reached it, she became a littlle scared. Daddy to the rescue!

The fortress of Gardiki is a castle for which there are plenty of stories, folk songs and legends, however it is lacking in actual historical evidence about its history. Currently there are no entrance charges, although just after we entered the fort we noticed a box in which you can put your own voluntary contribution. A sign near the box explains that this contribution will be used for restoration purposes, but we figure that the current state of the fortress asks more that the €2.- we donated! Apart from the principal castle, there are numerous other ancient edifices strewn around the castle's surrounding areas, and each one unique in their architectural features.

Address:
Fortress of Gardiki.

Directions:
Situated at the middle west east side of the island. It is a 21 km drive from the capital of Corfu, Corfu Town.

New Fortress

by mindcrime

The citadel at the top was one of the first things I noticed when our boat arrived in Corfu. It was built in 1843 and the view from there is great covering a wide angle through the sea and the countryside at the other side. The outer walls of the fortress were built much earlier though between 1576 and 1588 by the Venetians while some of the buildings in between were constructed by the British later. It’s just nice to walk through the maze of small alleys, tunnels and several layers of fortification. The fortress opened to the public only after 1992, before that it was used as a naval base, that’s why in parts of it are still housing naval offices.

In our days you may also catch a concert or an exhibition here.

The entrance fee is 3 euros but usually it’s open May-October, 9.00am-21.00

Kerkyra - The island of the olive groves

by SandiMandi

Having just returned from Corfu (or Kerkyra), all I can say is what a beautiful island it is! The scenery and the views are so breathtaking, I really loved it! There's not much sights in Corfu, but I think the island with its green mountains, vast olive groves and clear blue sea is a sight itself.

The island of Corfu is covered with olive trees, it's said to have 4 millions of them - I wonder who's counted them all ;) Especially in the northern part of the island, everywhere you look, there are olive groves. The olives are harvested twice a year: the raw green ones in November/December and the ripe black ones in February/March.

I was a bit disappointed with the weather as we were encountered with massive thunder storms on our second day (and night) which chilled the weather and it was not so hot as I'd imagine it would be. It also got very windy and cloudy every day, so not really the right weather for sun bathing on the beach. But the great scenery made up for it, so I had a lovely holiday despite the rain and thunder! :)

Comments