Harris Apartments

More about Corfu Island

statue of empress Elisabethstatue of empress Elisabeth

painting made by Dionysios Tsokospainting made by Dionysios Tsokos

café MADcafé MAD

View from the gardenView from the garden

Corfu_Visits from Nissaki

by sumantranag

We hope to be in the Nissaki area in Corfu for a week in the second week of June 2008.
1. Can you visit Agios Georgios (North West coast) and Agios Geordios (South West coast) directly from Nissaki or is the best route through Corfu town?
2. Both these beaches are supposed to be good. Which one should one choose if only one of them was to be visited?
3. Which would be the most convenient SANDY beaches to visit from Nissaki?
4. What other places should one visit in Corfu and particularly in the northern part of the island?
5. Is anyone familiar with the resort "Corfu Residence" in Nissaki?
I have seen a few Websites but personal knowledge is always valuable.
Regards

by LolaSanFrancisco

Pelakis Beach (SP?). And Rent a scooter!

by XenosUK

Have you tried asking on the Nissaki forum here -

by sumantranag

Thanks but as far as I can see, one has to register at this site to post questions, and the discussion forum is not accepting new members at the moment!!

by corfujim

1. To get to Agios Georgios from Nissaki follow the coast road north and then west along the north coast until you reach Sidari, it's only a short way fom Sidari and is well signposted.

For Ag. Gordios follow the coast road to town south from Nissaki until you come to Tzavros traffic lights(T Junction) turn left and at the 2nd set of traffic lights you turn right by Diellas Supermarket(large white building on your right) after turning off take the 2nd road (the other one goes to the supermarket)after abou 500 yards turn right and follow the signs for Aqualand/Ag Ioannis then when you reach the main road (Aqualand is facing you)turn left towards Corfu Town, after about two twisty miles you come to a right turn for Pelekas, after about 4 miles you come to a crossroads, turn left for Sinarades, you can either go through the village (narrow and busy) or keep left and then follow the signs for Ag Gordios.

Corfu Town is best avoided as it has a very complicated one way system.

2. I would go for Ag Georgios as it is easier to access the beach, the road runs along side it and I've never seen it busy as it is so long and wide, Ag Gordios is also a bit more touristy with the huge Pink Palace lodging house which attracts a lot of young Americans who tend to make a lot of noise.

3. The North Coast is good for sandy beaches starting at Acharavi, Roda, Astrkeri(my favorite) and Sidari, these are the most convenient sandy beaches, the best sandy beaches are on the West Coast, Pelekas, Glyfada, Arillas are all good.

4. You may be better getting a guidebook for ideas for places to visit as I don't know what you are looking for. There is also a good map for sale on the agni.gr website, I didn't realise they had closed the membership.

5. I've driven past Corfu Residence many times but have no knowledge of what it's like.

Hope this helps, enjoy your holiday.

Hi corfujim!

That was a very informative response for which I would like to thank you very much! Yes in due course I should get a suitable guidebook I suppose. But your detailed directions will help, I'm sure. The Agni site is very informative in many ways. They have temporarily (?) closed membership to the Discussion Forum for the time being, saying that one could try later.

Regards

by XenosUK

Apparently, the Agni site has had a fault with new member registrations, so they've suspended them while they try to fix it. Hopefully, it won't take too long, because this is obviously a busy time of year with new people going to Corfu for the first time and wanting to ask questions.

Travel Tips for Corfu Island

School warning

by JLBG

In my never ending search for school warning road signs, I was glad to find in remote villages of Corfou two interesting ones. Sorry, I do not remember the name of the villages.

I like especially the first one which must have been locally made. The artist has given an unusual and ambiguous attitude to the two profiles!

The second photo has a more “usual” look for road signs hand painted in the 50s.

THEOS BBQ AN EXCELLENT DAY

by alyf1961

We had a fantastic day at Theo’s BBQ. The coach picked us up from our hotel and took us to Corfu town for the boat. The captain welcomed us aboard and we set sail. During the journey, the captain went around the boat spraying shaving foam all over the children on board then trying to out run them when they tried to get him back. Once at the beach, which was on mainland Greece near to Igoumenitsa, the food was off loaded and the crew went off to cook it. The beach was exclusively used by BBQ boats. I hired a sun lounger [3 euros] and sat in the sun. There were water sports with paragliding, inflatable rings and a banana boat. When the food was ready, we lined up and were served by the crew. I had pork chop with salad and a glass of white wine. The food was delicious and there was seconds. After the BBQ, we got back on the boat and just off shore, we anchored opposite another boat. Many buckets were lowered into the water then the fight began. Nobody stayed dry but every body enjoyed it even those of us that tried to hide inside. We then set off for the blue lagoon. The lagoon was beautiful, the boat anchored again and many people dived and jumped into the water for a swim. I sat on the deck drinking gin and tonic. We stayed at the lagoon for about an hour then we set off back to Corfu. On the way, back the crew did some Greek dancing for us.

Sidari

by mindcrime

Sidari used to be a peaceful village some years before. Now, it’s one of the major beach resorts in Corfu. It has many bars, restaurants and many many hotels and apartments that can pack the hordes of tourists.
The good thing here is one great spot at Sidari, It’s called Canal d’amour and yes! It’s a great place for couples, so picturesque and unique. There’s only one small problem, the area is so crowded during summer period that you will hate me if you just read my tip without this warning :)

But if you go off season like we did you may not enjoy the water so much (it’s cold) but you we love the place. We did! All the hotels along the front beach were closed (pic 3, that’s why you can see only one car, our car) so we enjoyed for about an hour the area that is actually eroding sandstone cliffs. You can walk among them, follow small paths, swim around and discover small coves etc It’s amazing what wind and water created here, a natural piece of art.

All the cafes and restaurants were closed in early april but we didn’t care, we enjoyed the place and returned back to town for lunch.

Comments