Scheria Beach Hotel

3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Dassia, 49013, Greece

Satisfaction Terrible

• Excellent location, poor service and rude staff

I stayed at Scheria beach hotel from 5-15 August 2012.
    When I booked the hotel through the Serbian tourist agency I did not expect any luxury (hence the 2 stars), but I also in my wildest dreams did not expect the staff to be so rude.
    First, let me list the positive sides: the location of the hotel is excellent, on the very beach and has a nice restaurant overlooking the beach. It is also within a walking distance from the center of Dassia.The rooms are smaller but clean, and all of them have a balcony, which is always a plus for me. The cleaning lady comes every second day to clean and change the linen, also a plus.
    Now for the negative sides. Breakfast which is very poor (for 2 people you get two slices of cheese, two slices of ham, 4 small bagles, 2 small butters, 2 small jams, 2 eggs, 2 slices of some sweet bread and a pot of hot water to make your own coffee with provided small coffee bag, sugar and milk for coffee, and you cannot get more! If you are a man, this breakfast is certainly highly insufficient. Let me also note that the breakfast is the same every day. There is not even a coffee machine, and a bufe is an abstract noun!) is served from 8.30 to 10.30, but as the lady owner of the hotel informed me, she only serves breakfast for the whole room and it is not possible to serve it separately, because and I quote: "I am very busy and I have no time to come back 10 times for each room." Shocked by this statement, I tried to explain that my friend prefers to sleep in and come to breakfast later while I prefer to have it at 8.30, but the lady told me that it was my problem! She also told me that she will serve the whole breakfast to whomever is there and if I want, I can take the breakfast to my friend up to our room!
    Also, other guests of the hotel had problems as well with rude and unhelpfull staff. One girl had a problem in the bathroom and asked the hotel owner (husband of the mentioned old lady) to help her. His answer was: "Can you not see that I am drinking coffee now, I am not available 24 hours a day!" This happened at 5 p.m.!
    A boyfriend and girlfriend from our group had a different problem. They were always putting their room key on the reception when they were leaving the hotel, as the guests are asked to do, although there is never anyone there and you have to put the key yourself. When they returned at 00.30 on their last night in the hotel, they discovered that the key was not at the reception. Since noone was again there, they found a hotel employee and told him that their key was missing. He got angry with them for bothering him and after seeing for himself that the key was indeed not there, he bluntly told them: "Why are you lying to me, why don't you just tell me that you lost the key?" He then told them that he will open the door to their room but he cannot give them the spare key and that they will not have any electricity (the key is also a key card and you put it in the slot near the door to have electricity)! Finally, their key was found locked in another room, and this employee just told them, you must have put it somewhere and forgot!
    Also, please note that if you are traveling with small children or just want a peaceful holiday, a night club just below the hotel plays extremely loud music until 5 a.m. every night!
    All in all, a very bad review, and I certainly do not recommend this hotel. There are several 2* hotels around which are affordable which much better service, as we were informed by some other Serbian people who stayed there. If you want to fully enjoy your holiday, you will avoid Scheria beach hotel at Dassia, Corfu.

Unique Quality: Nothing unique, basic rooms with a balcony, no pool. Some of the balconies have a view of the sea.

More about Corfu Island

Peek at the viewsPeek at the views

Mon Repo parkMon Repo park

* Fleece type jacket;
* Hat / cap;
* Raincoat. * Lip balm;
* (Neck) sunblock;
* Band-aids. * Camera and lots of films!
* Filter;
* Extra batteries;
* Lens 210 mm. * Binocular;
* Compass.

good location bad service

by mindcrime about XRYSOMALLIS

First of all the good news: It is located on an ideal location, right on N.Theotoki street which is in the middle of everything if you wonder around the Old Town. You can sit outside and watch the people passing by (two day before the Easter we had the chance to see from there 2 different orchestras passing by!).

And now the bad news. The service is very slow, the staff not very helpful, the WC was extremely dirty and the menu is useless as they don’t have everything you see so you have to ask. I have to admit though that it was Holy Friday and most of the restaurants didn’t serve meat anyway so we had to choose between the fish dishes.

Anyway, the main problem here was that most of the dishes were cold so we didn’t enjoy our lunch. We tried some foods like Aginares (artichokes) ala polita(6e), fasolakia(green beans) (6e), poulp, boiled shrimps (13e), greek salad(5,5e) and green salad(4e).

On any other day you can find the popular local plates like sofrito (9e), pastitsada(9e), galaios burdeto(18e) etc

Kanóni - Pensinsula connected to a small island.

by Jerelis

The Kanóni peninsular, despite the many buildings, contains a great deal of charming secenry and of course here you can see with your own eyes the famous picture-postcard view of Ponikonissi (Mouse Island) and Vlacherna.

We visited Kanóni three times. The first time we drove there by car and we only visited the square at the tourist pavillion. We enjoyed a nice cold frapé and the breathtaking view. The second time we hiked our way around and explored the entire area. Up the road towards Kanóni, along a side road sign-posted 'Stratia', we found the ruins of the Temple of Artemis where the famous Gorgon pediment was found. From that point on we went looking for the Convent of Ayios Theodoros and a suriving section of the wall of ancient Corcyra, dating back to the 5the century BC. Maybe a bit weird, but we could not find it an it was already getting a bit dark, so we decided to get back to our apartement. Of course we were determined to find it during our stay at Corfu, but we must admit that we didn't have the time for it as we explored other parts of the island instead. Maybe some other time?

Moussakás

"In English; Moussaka"

MOUSSAKA” is the shepherd’s pie of Greece. The succulent combination of fried aubergines, delicately spiced minced lamb and rich cheese sauce is irresistible and well worth the rather lengthy preparation. It is always popular at informal parties and can be prepared earlier in the day for final cooking and browning in the oven. This recipe is for 6 people.

Moussakás:

2 kilos of large round aubergines
1 kilo of mince
1/2 cup of oil
2 large onions
5 ripe tomatoes
1/2 cup of dry white wine
2 - 3 portions of white sauce (bechamel)
salt
pepper
grated kefalotiri cheese
oil for frying

1. Peel, wash and cut the aubergines into large, thin slices. Salt and leave the to drain. Prepare the mince by browning it with the oil and onion, which should be finely chopped.

2. Stop the browning precess by pouring in the wine. Add the tomatoes, skinned and finely chopped, the salt and the pepper and allow to boil till all the moisture has been absorbed.

3. Pour the oil into a frying pan and fry the aubergines. The spread them in a large roasting tin and sprinkle with grated cheese. After the first layer, spread the mince on top and the add another layer of fried aubergines. The sprinkle again with the grated cheese and pour on the white sauce, so that the surface of the moussaka is covered with a thick layer of sauce.

4. Finally, sprinkle some more cheese over this so that the surface becomes crisp.

Comments