The Beach the Locals go to
Avoid the mass of tourists and head to Pelekas Beach, where the locals go to relax. I believe it's on the western side of the island. There is a small hotel on the beach and a bar far to one side. It's secluded, quiet (except for faint music from the bar), and absolutely gorgeous.
The Old & New Fortress
This was built by the Venetians upon the remains of a Byzantine castle and was completed in two stages. During the first period (1400-1500) the Venetians strengthened the Byzantine walls and dug the Contra Fossa moat, turning the promontory into an artificial island accessed by a movable bridge. In more recent times the Contra Fossa became notorious as the classic site of romantic suicides. The second period (16th-18th centuries) began with the completion of this work (1546-1588) and ended with the additions and alterations made by the British. Today two impressive bastions remain, which bear the names of the Italian engineers Martinengo and Savorgnan, as well as later British buildings and accretions, such as the church of St. George, built in 1840 as a basilica with Doric columns. Most of the churches and other buildings have however been destroyed, most important amongst them the Palace of the Venetian Proveditore.
Built between 1572 and 1645 by the Italian architect F. Vitelli, on the hill of St. Mark, the inner buildings of the fortress were constructed by the British. It consists of two massive twin bastions and is considered to be a marvel of fortress architecture. It should be visited not least for the magnificent view of the town and sea that it affords, preferably in the late afternoon, when the heat is less intense. Recently restored, it is often used by the municipal authorities of Corfu for exhibitions, concerts and many other cultural activities. There is a bar/cafe within the fortress, and a 'gallerie' where you may obtain various publications issued by the municipality, prints, tourist guides and maps. In the wing on the left-hand side of the first floor of the barracks there is an exhibition centre, where interesting collections of paintings, sculpture and photographs, by artists of international repute, are often displayed.
Cathedral Panagia Spiliotissa
We passed from the Cathedral Panagia Spiliotissa(pic 1) many times as it is located near the old port where we parked most of the days. It was built in 1577 in baroque style over an old church (dedicated to Saint Vlasios) and it was renovated many times since then.
The cathedral houses the relic of empress Theodora in a silver reliquary.
So the cathedral is dedicated to three different figures: Saint Vlasios, Theodora and Panagia Spiliotissa(Virgin Mary of the cave) because after the destruction of the church with the same name her icon transferred here.
Inside you can admire some nice icons and paintings made by Damaskinos (16th century), Em.Tzanne(17th century) and Paramithotis(18th century). Some of the icons are really interesting like the one with Panagia Dimosiana (Virgin Mary of Dimosiana) that dates from 15th century and has a saint in the back side too!.
In front of the cathedral there is a statue of Athinagoras A’, the bishop (pic 2).