Hercules Studios

churchchurch

Travel Tips for Kassiopi

The Deserted Village Of Peritheia

by xxsummerstarzxx

Nobody should holiday in Kassiopi without taking a trip up the mountain to the deserted village of Peritheia.

It can be a very hair raising experience when driving yourself , as the bends in the road are very sharp, but to be honest I would sooner travel under my own steam than jump on a coach to undertake the journey!

When I finally arrived at Peritheia I was amazed by the views, the fresh sweet smeling air and the whole charisma of the place. I felt like I had found a very secret and special location that made me feel like I was the only person living on earth.

Peritheia was built at around the time of the 14th century when people of the coastal towns fled to the mountains in fear of pirates. Even when this threat had dissapeared, the people of Corfu could not move back to their homes as a plague of malaria carring mosquitos had invaded.

The town grew and grew until eight churches, a school house, a police station and even a court house had been built. At the height of its popularity 1,500 people lived in the town.

By 1912, the town had become part of Kassiopi and by 1955 it was only occupied during the summer months. By 1975 most of the villagers had moved to premises further down the mountain, leaving all but a few occupants in Peritheia.

Today, only 6 people, two tavernas a few sheep and a handful of chickens remain.

If you decide to go, have a drink and a bite to eat in one of the tavernas, and please ...blow a kiss to this very magical place, just for me. My fondest memory of Kassiopi has to be Peritheia.

Walking through the deserted streets, amidst all the bees and butterflies made me really happy.

I could, without a doubt, spend the rest of my days in a beautiful deserted town like this.

Make the effort to drag yourself away from the fine beaches of Kassiopi, and pay a visit to Peritheia yourself, I promise, you wont be in least bit dissapointed.

Walking Through The Olive Groves

by xxsummerstarzxx

Kassiopi and the surrounding areas are a mass of Olive trees.

Corfu is a very 'green' island so these trees thrive with all the warm sunshine and occasional downpour!

I found myself taking lots of early evening walks through the groves as it was too hot to walk during the day.

Just before the harvest one can see lots of nets being laid out at the foot of the trees, so watch your step and dont get caught up in them!

As well as Olive trees, lemon trees grow very well in Corfu. Look up into the branches and see the size of their fruits, some are HUGE!

Always seek permission before trespassing on someones land or take a guided walk instead.

Eszter's Kassiopi Page

by Eszter

The little fishing village of Kassiopi once used to be the favorite resort of rich citizens of the Roman Empire. Many famous people of the time had visited Kassiopi, including Nero.
We can see the mountains of Albania from the village.

Comments