Petra Mare

Otel.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Petra Mare

Great stay at the Petra Mare

Me and my partner stayed at the Petra Mare for a week in May. After reading previous reviews I had my doubts but was pleasantly surprised.
After quite a long transfer we had to wait about an hour to check in which was quite disappointing, but was soon forgiven as when we opened our room it was huge, it had 3 double beds, a huge balcony overlooking the sea and a spacious bathroom.
The food was OK. There was fresh fruit available at lunch and dinner plus a selection of hot veg and typical buffet style food. Every day there would be a 'specialty' dish which would be something Greek. The pool is huge with great facilities for kids although very cold in May. The beach is nice, although a bit pebbly. The hotel was very clean as was the pool area and our rooms were cleaned daily. The staff were friendly and so were the entertainment staff who put in a lot of effort to the evening entertainment - although not to everyone’s taste. The hotel is in a very quite area of Ierapetra so if you are looking for a lively resort this is not the one, definitely great for a relaxing break away from the hussle and bussle of other resorts. I would definitely return and recommend this hotel to friends and family.

Had a Good Time at Petra Mare

my husband and i stayed here in the middle of May having booked at last minute on accommodation allocated at airport basis - yes it was a long drive from the airport and we did arrive at 5.00a.m but we very pleased with hotel - had mountain view room which was ok - it was kept clean for the week. - now we found the food great for a week - and yes we do go out a lot for meals and are not easily pleased - of course it was early in the season so things could have gone downhill - as for the drinks we found the choice fine - my husband didn.t mind the frequent trips for a drinks in the evening i like ouzo and lemonade so was happy anf lemonade or coke in the day suited - i do agree about the "CH CHA SLIDE " \though - but the rest of the time i thought the reps tried hard - but yes they could have got a lot worse as the season wore on - would def. go back but early season again if i do.....

Petra Mare Hotel - may 12th - 20th review

by TripAdvisor Member morrisdoris

Having just returned from Crete I thought Id write a review while its still all fresh in my mind.

The Petra Mare Hotel was lovely, clean & friendly. It is starting to show its age & could do with the fixtures & fittings updating but we found it very comfortable.
The hotel rooms are very large, ours had a double, single & sofa bed, the balconies are very small & covered in the middle section of floors 2,3 & 4 but the end rooms have larger open balconies. The bathrooms are well equiped & the showers are excellent. You have to place your room key in the holder by the door to have the electric working.
Unfornately the rooms are not sound-proofed & the corridor noise can be very disturbing, rooms by the elevators are very noisy with people coming & going at all hours.
The room safe is charged at €15 but worth it for the peace of mind

The restaurant is open 7.30 - 10.00 breakfast
12.30 - 2.30 lunch
6.30 - 10.00 dinner
snack bar is open 10.00 - 6.00 hot snacks
10.00 - midnight cold snacks
the foods is ok although I found the breakfast disappointing, there is a good mixture of English, Greek & German cuisine. The salad bar is very well stocked & the Greek desserts are lovely.
The snack bar has chips, salad, pizza, pasta, desserts available & local made ice cream served twice daily.
The drinks available on the All Inclusive package are - Lager, vodka, gin, white rum, scotch, brandy, Ouzo, white & rose white.
The soft drinks are - coke, lemonade, lemon/lime, soda, orange & grapefruit juice & water (not bottled)
Tonic is extra charged because they have to import it.
Drinks are available on the all inclusive from 10am to midnight, after midnight drinks are charged to your room.

The pool is lovely, salt water & can be very cold when you first get in but once your body is used to it its lovely. The water park slides are open twice a day & great fun, the lazy river is relaxing on a lilo.

The entertainment is very basic, Haven/Pontins style without the costume budget, the kids clubs are well organised & the hotel staff are very friendly.

The beach is dark course sand & pebble, wet shoes are recommended as it gets very hot to walk on, but there are some great rock pools to explore, take some bread to feed the fish.

It was very early in the season that I stayed at this hotel so not much was open in the small town, however it was charming, friendly & traditional, not too touristy.
Never had much to do with the reps so cant comment on them.
Transfer times were 1-2 hours depending on time of day & traffic.
If you pay extra to keep your room you can stay in it til 6pm if not there are curtesy rooms available to book a half hour slot to shower & change.

I loved my week in the Petra Mare & would recommend it to families

Fantastic Family Holiday

I have just returned from a week in the Petra Mare travelling with First Choice. The hotel is great with lots of facilities and the Reps were fantastic. This is the first holiday when my son has actually asked to go to Kids Club!

The only downside was the travelling. We had a night flight so it took its toll especially with the long transfer from the airport to the hotel. However this was only a small part of the holiday and everything else made up for it.

Tips: Take some goggles, the fish off the beach are amazing! Take some jumpers at this time of year as the entertainment is outside.

loved my stay

I got back from two weeks in the petra mare yesterday and wish id never come home. My first few nights were quiet as i spent them sat in a quiet bar in the hotel with my parents. After i discoverd the entertainment bar i was never out of there. The entertainment was out of this world. Id like 2 thank the entertainers natalie, nick, vicky, toni and gareth. You guys were absolutely amazing especially in the grease show, you are all so fabulous and so talented. We were entertained in the day with activities like water polo cash prize bingo and quizes. At the night we had a kids mini disco followed by adult fun time wich was always hilarious, then our evening showtime- we did things like flop idol, grease, quiz night, talent competitons, so there was never a boring night. I was fortunate enough to be in a room with a sea view wich was beuatiful. The room was always clean and tidy, its very spacious with air conditioning, i couldnt of asked for much more!! I would definately recomend this hotel to others, especially families with children-its great!
Once again thank you very much every one at the perta mare hotel for making my stay so great!
Rachel (15)

what a great holiday!!!!

well this holiday was excellent! so much to do for kids within the hotel its far from things to do outside the hotel though! holiday reps were fabulos rooms lovely and spacious! foods not excellent but made up for with everything else! loved every second of it1 definately going back next year!

hated the food

Came back from my holiday may o6 I would like to let you know that going on a all-inclusive holiday has given me somtheing to think about. the food was awful and I can say this as a greek myself, there was no fresh fruit to eat, like watermelon and so on, just some tinned fruit and there was no bacon for breakfust most mornings. the hotel was clean, rooms very big and spacey. No swimming as the water in the pool was to cold, their indoor pool was not going to be used at all due to the problems they have had with it over the years. plenty of all night drinkers shouting, screaming. their was loud abusive and drunk people that do not have any consideration for others sleeping at 2 am in morning, think about an all inclusive, not a good place to go with small children. I would never go back, the people are unfriendly I did not think much of the reps. This has been the most expensive holiday for one week that I have ever had and it has been the worst.

great trip

date: 22nd may 06

we have just got back from 1 week at this hotel. the hotel was very clean and staff were vey friendly.
we had a sea view room which was really nice.
the weather was really hot in the day but cold at night. i would like to say a big thank you to the reps, gareth, vicky, nick and natalie as you made our holiday with the great entertainment throughout the day and night, especially grease!! brilliant. the food was ok, if we were going for 2 weeks i would have been so bored as in the day it was the same most days.
we went on a village trip, the trip was interesting if you are into looking at how people live and going to a olive farm, but they do take you to a tavern and the food is lovely.

the hotel is just about a 15 min walk in to the centre of ierapetra, where there is a great english bar called 'on the rocks' great food. we were there when liverpool played in the FA cup final the atmosphere was brilliant!!! would recommend you eat there. also the shops are really nice.

all in all it was a good hoilday, we would go again.

if you have children and are thinking of going i would recommend it as the watr park was great!!
!

Hotel very good pity about the first choice reps

by TripAdvisor Member philj73

hotel was very good very clean and tidy had large main pool, water slides and childrens pool with slides in, lazy river theres no current so its vey lazy you rely on the wind.
beach is sharp little stones as go in to the water very very sharp rock alot people ended up cut on the rocks.
watersports jetskies banana, ringos etc aroun30 ereos each go

pools are salt water empted every 3 weeks over night

food was much the same most days but tasted very good snacks adviable aday upto midnight. soft drinks beer raki oizo whiskey brandy rum etc
snack bar open all day for food drinks at 6pm main bar in the hotel opened and bar at the bottom end opened 8pm both through to 2 am but you pay after 12am.

entertainment we where there 23rd may to 7 june and 14 nights we had10 game quis nights only 4 shows we found just to much we like fun games in the day enjoy show at nights not so in this hotel.

kids clubs great if and i mean if you can get you child in while there, there was up to 180 or so cildren staying but the kids club catered for around 30 at most so the biggest % of kids don't get look in
but if they do get in the clubs are great give you time to relax
one more thing they do pizza partys choc partys etc at extra cost of 3 ereos

town about 10/15 min walk roads paths not good we had wheel chair very hard going
but you can walk along the front if you fancy change pop in to the on the rocks bar for great drinks very very good food . makes nice change from the hotel

trips reps spent there time selling you the trips it just pain that they didn't know what they where talking about

chrissy island nice little island about 8 miles off shore golden white sands what you told
its more like sharp sand with stones ad sharp shells very hot so foot wear needed when get ther best side is across the othere side of the island to where you dock taks 5 mins get there. as you enter water theres about 5 meters rock before you hit snad again,
it was nice but if i hd know would never took my daughter.

we coludn't go on the trips as my wife in wheel chair theres very little access for wheelchiars around the country

if hiar car go accross the road from hotel very cheap also short walk is large supermaket for bits pieces
shop on site not to badly priced

over all enjoyed the holiday but no iwouldn't go back

Never again

Just returned from this all-inclusive holiday.

The rooms are very basic, but clean. The fridge didn't work even though it was reported.
If you go, pay for a sea view, but make sure you get one, our first room (we insisted on changing it) looked into the opposite biulding balcony and you could only see the sea from the very side edge of the balcony. Othe rooms look over a main road and a building site opposite.

Food ranged from appalling to fair. It was all self service - including the cutlery! Very little fresh fruit and always geared to chips!

All inclusive drinks were (as usual) heavily diluted. Wine was on draught and only rose or white. If you wanted red this cost 8 euros a bottle extra.

Pool area was okay, but if you don't have young kids - this is not for you. Beach and sea entry is difficult to negotiate.

Reception staff tried to be extremely helpful.

Entertainment in the hotel was poor with no local alternative.

If you dive there is an excellent scuba centre about 3miles up the road, the reception staff have the number.

Local town is nice and worth a visit.

Comments