Agia Paraskevi, Platanias beach, 37002, Greece
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 81% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Skiathos

View of Skiathos from the ShipView of Skiathos from the Ship

A lovely beachA lovely beach

BourtziBourtzi

Windmill Restaurant showing the honeymoon tableWindmill Restaurant showing the honeymoon table

Athens to Skiathos?

by loopyloooo

Hello! I'm planning to visit Athens in May (for Eurovision, yippee!) and I'd like to pop over to Skiathos for a couple of days to see a friend who's gonna be working there. I was in Skiathos last year and was thinking about going on a trip to the mainland but I was ill and didn't even find out how much it would cost in the end! Has anyone done the trip? I think the most fun way would be to get a bus up north and then a ferry across. Getting a flight seems like a bit of a cop out and I imagine would be more expensive too. Anyone wants to meet up in Athens let me know!

by dvoretzky

Getting to Volos by bus is not a problem but the www.ferries.gr booking system doesn't show any ferries from Volos to Skiathos in May... A return flight from Athens to Skiathos with Olympic (http://www.olympic-airways.com/) costs 105.91 Euro.

by nickandchris

There are trains or buses to Volos from Athens. You can get a ferry from Volos to Skiathos, the Lonely Planet guide says twice daily. I am pretty sure this will be correct as we were in Volos and Pilion last May and ferries were operating .

by Ouzone

That is not quite correct you need to go to the port of Ag. Konstantinos north west of Athens. This is much closer to Athens than Volos. There are daily ferries/hydrofoils/catamarans from both ports.
The KTEL bus goes from Athens to Ag. Konstantinos (or Volos) from bus terminal B in Athens(260 Liosson St). The ferry companies could be Hellenic Seaways, Vospo, Sporades ferries, Saos. Ferry schedules are not set more than 4 weeks ahead so look it up in early May.

The best ferry reference is:

by loopyloooo

Thanks for your replies. I spoke to someone who's doing the trip soon and he recommended the plane, I think he said a return flight is about 100 Euros. I think Volos would take ages, like a whole day, to get to by bus from Athens so I think it's between the Ag Constiano (how you spell that?) route and the plane. Will get my friend to try and find out more about the timetable and costs when he gets to Skiathos. The websites are all so annoying. None of them seem to work exactly! Am gradually piecing all the information together!

Travel Tips for Skiathos

Local Festivities

by viddra

Local festivities are taking place with music, food and drink during the celebration of the Assumption of the Virgin (14 and 15 August).

The procession of the epithaph (burial) of the Virgin at the monastery of Evangelistria on 15 August is also worth seeing.

Skiathos 2006

by glamourprincess

"My favorite Greek island"

I have been to Greece five times and Skiathos is definitely my favorite island! It is a small and lovely island, with lots of beautiful beaches. I went with my boyfriend in June 2006 and we stayed at Hotel Bourtzi in Skiathos town. It was surprisingly calm and quiet, and it had a little pool. Probably one of the best hotels in Greece I've stayed in. Two thumbs up! The location was perfect as it was in the middle of everything; shopping, restaurants, bars and life, and walking distance to Megali Ammos beach.

"The beaches"

The best thing about Skiathos has to be the beaches. They are lovely and there are so many! We got to see most of them on our cruise around the island, but we only managed to visit a few of them. Koukounaries and Banana Beach were both great, but I can tell they get extremely busy at the peak of the season. Lalaria is pretty with its white pepple stone beach and the turquoise water. I definitely recommend the cruises, so you get to see Lalaria and other beaches that can only be reached by boat.

"Great food"

I was surprised by the quality of the food and restaurants on the island and we enjoyed some mouthwatering meals and drinks during our stay. I definitely recommend Maria's Pizza, Windmill restaurant, Don Quiojote Tapas Restaurant and Main Street Cafe!

Comments