Adele Beach Hotel & Bungalows

Costs 42% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Adele Beach Hotel & Bungalows

A fortnight in Rethymnon

by maykal

I've only been to Greece once, and that was a beach holiday with my parents to Crete when I was 10. We stayed in Rethymnon at the Adele Beach Hotel, which had a wonderful swimming pool. Our villa was practically on the beach, so this was great, being 10 and sleeping in a beach house! Some days, though, I remember I couldn't go swimming in the sea, because the red flag was flying...this was strange because the waves didn't look too rough. However, they were rough enough to strip my Mum of her bathing costume, much to my amusement!!!

We hired a car and toured parts of the island...one place that I remember was Spili and it's water fountains in the mountains. My parents had warned me so much about not drinking the tap water, to the extent that I was brushing my teeth and even washing my face in bottled water, so when the old Greek lady took me by the hand and led me to the water fountain, I was mortified...she expected me to drink!!!

Another memorable day out was to Knossos, my first experience of ancient ruins...it was a boiling hot day, and the place was swarming with tourists on coach trips...my parents vowed in the heat of the moment never to visit any more ruins, but I'm glad I didn't stick to that or I'd never have seen places like Palmyra or Petra in the Middle East. Nowadays I enjoy walking round ruins, but back then it was torture!
It was a successful holiday, and our first somewhere slightly different...makes me wonder why we never returned to Greece.

ChaniaChania

Greenery overhangs the tables in Odhos VernadouGreenery overhangs the tables in Odhos Vernadou

Travel Tips for Rethymno

Rethymnon: Summer 2005 & Summer 2006

by PhilC2

I first visited Rethymnon in the summer of 2005 with Wend and returned the following summer as well. The town has a varied history, which is exemplified in the current architecture, having been occupied by various foreign forces such as the Venetians and the Ottomans.
Rethymnon's main attraction has to be its small Venetian port, which is packed with amazing seafood restaurants offering catches fresh that day. The old town bustles away behind the port with narrow cobbled streets filled with shops offering an array of local products and various places to rest and have a drink.
Rethymnon is a working town, which doesn't become a ghost ship out of season and a working port has been built beside the small Venetian harbour, which offers a regular ferry service to Piraeus.
Rethymnon also boasts a golden expanse of beach, which stretches for about 7km. The water is warm, the deckchairs are all laid out...why wait!

Comments