Municipal Gallery "L. Kanakakis"
The Municipal Gallery "L. Kanakakis" was founded in 1992. From its beginning it was housed in a Venetian building in the heart of the old, historical town of Rethymno, below the Fortezza and the Archaeological Museum (5, Chimaras Street). It houses a permanent exhibition of the work of Lefteris Kanakakis (oil paintings, sketches and aquarelles), thus representing all the stages of his achievements, as well as works of contemporary Greek artists, which cover a broad spectrum of modern Greek art as it has been accomplished from 1950 until today.
In 1995, the town of Rethymno was incorporated into the National Cultural Network and, as a result, the Centre of Contemporary Art was established, which then proceeded to influence the course of activities of the Gallery with respect to modern art. The Centre of Contemporary Art of Rethymno is initiating dynamic activities in the field of periodic exhibitions of local, national and international interest in co-operation with many supporters both Greek and foreign. All events are carried out within the framework of parallel activities such as lectures, educational programmes, speeches, seminars etc. On a similar line the Centre of Contemporary Art- Municipal Gallery "L. Kanakakis" complements its activities with the edition of catalogues and other educational or instructive material. Furthermore, since 1995 art workshops have been operating under the direction of the Centre of Contemporary Art. Work of Lefteris Kanakakis from the collection of the Gallery