Golden Sun Hotel

Venere.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 49% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about Rethymno

you can get here junk tooyou can get here junk too

Time for chess?Time for chess?

Hotel recommendation? How long should I stay?

by AcornMan

After seeing Knossos and the archeological museum in Heraklion, I plan to take the bus to Rethymnon and spend at least one night there before driving down to Plakias for a few nights and then to the southwest part of Crete for the remainder of my visit. I will probably arrive in Rethymnon in the evening. Can someone recommend a good but inexpensive hotel there?

Also, is one night enough in Rethymnon or should I stay a second night so I can spend a full day there before heading south? I don't want to be in too big of a hurry, but I also don't want to miss anything if it's worth staying longer. Normally I would not try planning things like this but I need to know when to have my rental car reserved. Thanks.

RE: Hotel recommendation? How long should I stay?

by gale.blog.pl

Rethymno is definetely worth a two-day stay. Although it is not large and you can see a lot of Rethymno on one day, I'd recommend that you spend a little more time there - at least for its special atmosphere. Especially if you have the opportunity to extend your stay in that city :)

by Elenitsa

I agree with Adam - the fortress will take you the best part of a day - it's HUGE!

Afraid no hotel recommendations - we just went with a guy who met the bus and I've no contact details. There's plenty of places tucked away below the fortress. Check out your Rough Guide or Lonely planet - anything in the north east sector of the town should be OK!

by Spincat

I agree with the previous two responses : there is a lot to see and enjoy in Rethymnon - on the other hand you can't do everything and my first trip to Rethymnon was just a day trip many years back. Last year I stayed four nights and this time I'll be staying a week. So you can always come back....
Last May I stayed in Olga's Pension in the old town - it was a very small room in a quite bohemian place/slightly scruffy place with a great view of a mosque minaret and a lovely roof garden. They have larger rooms and suites than the VERY cheap matchbox we rented (think about 25 euros) - though larger rooms not I think available for one night only. (This time I've got a cheap package and I'll be based in Pepi studios which is only bookeable through a tour company for minmum one week so not much use to you). I have heard Ideon hotel recommended by quite a few people - it is a much more modern and international hotel than Olga's: normally I'm not keen on that sort of place but it does have a good setting and all kinds of people seem to like it. Try to get a place in the old town as there are some rather sprawling environs to Rethymnon. I have always found Rough Guide to Crete reliable on rooms.
One thing though - if you are picking up a car there, only local residents can drive into the old city: this makes it a nicer place to be but we did have a problem with our bags and hire be warned.

RE: Hotel recommendation? How long should I stay?

by AcornMan

Is there some kind of kiosk or office near the bus stop where I can book a hotel? I don't want to get there an then have to wander around looking for a room.

by Spincat

Not 100% sure, but don't think so. Best to get 'Rough Guide' map which marks the clusters of hotels - if you are both too knackered to go off together with bags one person goes off - while other relaxes in a Kafenion- and gets the room. That's what we do in Crete anyway - and it places you in a good bargaining position for whole hoilday if your partner gets a dodgy place...

by Elenitsa

Hi. Didn't get a chance to see if there was an office (don't think there is) as we were descended on as soon as we got off the bus!!

Why not jot down a few numbers (or store them in your cellphone) and, once you're on the bus to Rethymnon, start phoning round - you never know if you can tell them which bus you're on you might get a lift from the bus station!

If that doesn't appeal head for the old harbour - one of you can sit with a frappe and the bags while the other knocks on doors...

Travel Tips for Rethymno

Meli Ice Cream

by dimilag

The art of making ice cream has been improved and new flavours are added every week, think that makes me to want to try each one of them. This is my favourite flavour: wild cherries with local yoghurt. The ice cream is made from goats milk that makes it have a special flavour. Enjoy your ice cream at its tables while you watch the sea.

Comments