Iperion Beach Hotel

A view over RethymnoA view over Rethymno

Travel Tips for Rethymno

Kyria Maria

by AcornMan about Myria Maria

Located on a narrow pedestrian alley just behind the Rimondi Fountain, Kyria Maria is a nice little place to get relatively inexpensive traditional Greek food. There was nothing particularly remarkable about it, but the food was good and we enjoyed our meal there. If you're on a budget this is a good place to eat.

Fantastic place in Crete, Greece

by shamanwoman

"Some travelthoughts on Rethymnon"

Oh, georgeuos birth island of Zeus...We are just back from our trip in Crete.Such a fantastic nature!
When we got to our hotel,Hotel Acropol,it shows it´s placed on a rather high hill! Oh goodness,this hill up and down in this HOTweather.Hotel,was beautiful,nicely run and well cleaned.And it had a pool!Charming hotel to stay at!!!
The rooms have balconies/ fantastic view of harbour.We could see old town,Venetian Fortress and the sunset.Even if it was with swet we got home after beach!We loved to stay in this place.
Cabprice usual 3-4 Euro/whole town.Have a real good greek meal.Feta cheese,greek salad,bira Mythos and the traditional drink we got what they called one Ouzo.We poured it on the flowers:)In June it´s not yet so filled out with tourists!Pricelevel increases in end of June.We could see in one week´:)For us Swedes the price is rather HIGH! Euro makes it like this:( ??!!For example a bottle of showercream costs... 6.97Euro!

The Sea,Sun(32-41*Celsius)and the greek food, made this a trip with many things to remind when wintertime is back.

We also made a bustrip to the Palace of Knossos.Organized by Ida Travel,which were around 8 Euro cheaper than My Travels bustrip!Look around,ask about whats in the price. Ida Travels=Airconditioned buses/english speaking guides:)
Superb guide Anna,took us through ancient legend of King Minos,palace and greek mythology.Palace was once well planned,placed,architechted centuries ago,with plumming/rainwater systems, underground!The Minoan people were way ahead of its time!Or just WE who have LOST all this...living together in dignity and gratefulness,with Mother nature?!

The museum in Heraklion town is also worth its visit,with a guide.We got many stories of greek mythology and what a glorious handicraft.Ceramics,jewelries,bathing tubs, frescoes...
Minoan people worshipped Sun/Nature and the priests here where women,because of the fertility worship.I asked the guide,if this was a matriachaic society. She told me,they had thought this before,but now they seem to think,it was an equality between the sexes here.The impressions this palace gave me, was that it was a well functioning and close to the nature society.Working together for the best things in life.Of course there were backsides...like slaves,perhaps even humans sacrificed,as in all ancient societies.
You just have to go here!

The Cretan people are mostly helpful.We had a receptionist at hotel Acropol,who spoke good english.She took us to a Bakery in old town.Were we bought some choclate covered cookies,called Baklava.They are real good!

Other experiences.
I had a neck who hurted,after the travel. So on monday we went to the Market in Rethymnon.Lots of fruits and other things sold here.

Then we got to the beach and I saw a sign, wich said: Point of Chinese massage;)And the man sitting there with out any work...so I took my luck and got one massage.WOW! He was good,he helped me get rid of the pain.After I was getting my massage,other people on the beach,saw he was good at this.He started to get more clients!A halfbody massage costed 10 Euro, whole body 20 Euro.This takes around 1-1½hour.Try it!

Tourist Warning!One very wellknown discotec in old town, had BROKEN toilets and way too high prices!!!Do not go there!I

Most of the week consisted in sunny hot weather,swimming,eating tasteful food and relaxing.35-41*Celsius.
If you have the luck to go with a taxi driver called Manolis, a funny and nice fellow.Then ask him to take you to a little Taverna after the Venitian Fortress.You go along the seaside road. Around some kilometer,just before the road to the University.On the right side,you find a beautifully placed taverna just by the Sea. Old stonehouse yellow sand coloured.WONDERFUL food/ service here!Hope you can find it.Vassilis is the chefs name.
Eat greek food,fruits swim and visit Knossos...I am sorry we didnt rent a car, would have been more free to go anywhere. You will probably enjoy your trip to Crete and Rethymnon. Hope You have any help from my desciption above.
Good Luck!