Rethymno Hotels

Our Members Say

• AcornMan profile photo AcornMan
  • Reviews: 708

Makri Steno: Makri Steno

When I was researching places to stay in Rethymno before my trip one of my top choices was Makri Steno because it was inexpensive (35 Euros per night for two people with en suite shower and toilet) and it's located inside the old city. When I was walking around I happened to find it, and based on its location and what I could see through the front door it looked like a great place. In fact, I wish I had stayed there rather than Hotel Brascos because it's on a nice quiet side street and it's very close to all the major sights in the old town. If I ever go back to Rethymno I'll definitely stay here.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written June 14, 2005

Makri Steno

• AcornMan profile photo AcornMan
  • Reviews: 708

Sea Front: Sea Front

Another place in Rethymno I seriously considered staying was Sea Front, located just across from the town beach near the inner harbor. The location is quite convenient because there's so much to do and see in that area but I'm glad I did not stay there because it's a loud part of the old town due to all the shops, restaurants, tavernas, cafes, and pedestrian traffic. Some of the nearby bars had fairly loud music too, so it would have been difficult for me to get much rest staying in a place like that. The price quoted to me while I was researching my trip was 35 Euros per night for two people with en suite shower and toilet.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written June 14, 2005
Tip Photo

Sea Front as seen from the beach

• Spincat profile photo Spincat
  • Reviews: 165

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Olga's Rooms: Tennessee Williams meets Holly Golightly

We stayed in May 2004. Couldn't be better situated: our room looked over the Nerandzes Mosque and a lively street. It is an ever-so-slightly-scruffy, very charming, and rather bohemian place. If 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' was going to happen in Rethymno it would happen at Olga's. (And there's even 'cat'.) Our room was tiny but consequently very reasonably priced. There are other larger, more expensive, rooms and studios.

We loved this place - you'll like it too if you like to be in the centre of things but aren't desperately fussy about the odd speck of dust. It IS clean at Olga's, but it IS an old building.

You might stay a view days or you might end up never leaving, which is what I reckon had happened to many of the guests!

Apart from being right in the middle of the old town, one of the great things about this place is its roof garden with fabulously exotic plants - a good place to sit with a beer. The picture (apologies to the Room's website for using one of their pics - my camera was broken when we visited 2005) shows the stairs up to the garden.

There was a TV in our room - unusual for cheaper rooms. Not sure if this is an advantage or not - if you want to watch CNN and 'scorchio' style greek satellite TV , then you'll be happy!

Friendly, helpful management - not to mention a fabulous collages of travel pictures on every wall - make this a very special place.

There's a restaurant/cafe downstairs - Stella's Kitchen - which is recommendaed for breakfast and lunch.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written May 13, 2005

Olga's - Rethymno

• Jawnuta profile photo Jawnuta
  • Reviews: 450

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Isidora studios: nice, cheap, clean, great location!

In August 2006 we spend a week driving around eastern part of Crete with no reservations.
We stopped in Rethymno when the sun was already pretty low, and started walking down the street from the parking lot. After stopping in 2 hotels we came across Isidora studios where the owner (an older lady who spoke only Greek) was seating at front of it. We asked for a room for just a one night. Lady took us inside ans showed us the last room she had vacant. After seing the room (and the sky getting darker and darker every minute) we agreed about the price (she wrote with her finger on the wall). No word of English was understood on her part, and no word of Greek was understood on our part ;-). We got a free peach as a welcome gift.

The room was on the ground floor and it was little damp. It had a small window in room and bathroom to the tiny courtyard. The room was big, with an AC and kitchenette. The bathroom was OK. Plain white painted room with basic simple furniture. Bedsheets were sparkling clean and I think ironed.
We would not rent that particular room as it was damp and I am allergic to mould. However all the rooms upstairs had nice big windows and plenty of air and I bet they were much nicer.
The location could not be better. It was in the old city only few blocks from the parking (by the Police station) and nice 5 min stroll to the harbour. About 3 blocks from the Fortezza.
Oh and we paid 45 Euro in the middle of August for a room for two.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written October 17, 2007
Tip Photo

• jancola profile photo jancola
  • Reviews: 58

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Olga's Pension: Recommended by so many guides...

We arrived and were greeted with the choice of either a room with no air conditioning, or a room with two twin beds - neither one a tantalizing choice for our honeymoon. Yes, Olga's is not your typical honeymoon place, but from all the glowing recommendations, it was where I wanted to stay.

George, our gracious host, sensed our disappointment, and offered us a studio room that was recently available. It was much nicer. Unfortunately, it was a quasi-basement room, so it was very damp, and we did not figure out that the air conditioner had a de-humidifier setting until our last night (yes, that water drop on the remote DOES mean de-humidify). Other than that, it was very comfortable, affordable, and charming, and George was very helpful and kind.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive