Ikaros Star Hotel

Hotels.com Travelocity Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 2.5 star hotels

More about Ikaria Island

The little church below the Studios and harbourThe little church below the Studios and harbour

The trees behind the studiosThe trees behind the studios

View from our balconyView from our balcony

Ikaria Island - Greece - SunsetIkaria Island - Greece - Sunset

Ikarian Honey

by huskypup2009

Is there a specific food shop/store with address, phone number to purchase honey/wine mention ed in Blackforest's pages? Am very interested in the anti-inflammatory properties of the honey for my husband.And of course the amount and payment options.

Lynn Campbell
Lake Tahoe, Ca

Re: Ikarian Honey

by Jamieingreece

I know this message is a few months old....but. There are many shops and supermarkets that sell local honey and wines. I've been living in Pythagorio for a few years now and i don't think you would be able to order via the phone or mail, Greeks aren't really bothered to do things this way on the island.

My father in law makes his own sweet red wine and sells it for about 12euros for a one litre bottle. A friend of his is one of the biggest suppliers of honey to the island and he sells it in most of the supermarkets. The good thing about the island is the supermarkets support and sell local produce. I used to suffer eczema before i came here. I know that honey is a good cure for this. Pure local olive oil is available as well

I could maybe send you something if you would like.

let me know

jamieingreece@yahoo.com

Travel Tips for Ikaria Island

Are you hungry?

by andreslo2000

Besides the restaurant there is a much more fun way to get you a dinner.
Get up! Get up early in the morning. And I mean it. EARLY in the MORNING (3 A.M. - is that early or what!?).
Get a boat. Get a fishermens boat. Catch some fish. Clean them. Clean them well. Take them to the local bakerry. Dont hesitate to leave them there, they will bake them well. Just one more thing you have to do. Get them in the evening and eat them with some local wine. Enjoy your meal!

by andreslo2000

Nothing... Nothing... Nothing... Mobile. If you are a fan then go and visit MGM or Paramount (maybe Columbia) an borow some things -:) Nothing Yes. Take a vallet. A full vallet. A vallet full of money. YOu can always BUY whatever you need.
AND... it's more comfortable, it's a lot of fun buying, it's even cheaper, it's... all the reasons are in favour, but people still carry those big bags and suit cases with them. Just try once my way. Maybe you'll like it.

In the hearth of the island

by andreslo2000

You dont' t have to spend the entire time at the sea side. One can try and go to one of those tiny villages in the mountains of Ikaria. I visited Raches one day and what a surprise. As the island is full of watter I was almost lost in the rain forrest when I have arrived there. Well... I'm joking a bit, but there was realy a forrest with quite a lot of shade and some refreshment in the air. really someting new for me, considering that I was in the heart of Mediteranian.
All in all - a very nice experiance.

The main beach in southern part of the island

by andreslo2000

One day I asked the local bus driver (there was only one bus running in the whole island) wheather there will be another bus in the near future operating in Ikaria. Of course!!! The main season is comming and a lot of tourists are arriving. From the next monday a new bus is going to ride betwen Agios Kyrikos and Faros, the biggest beach in Ikaria's south coast!
Good! Let's go there! Finaly some people and there might be some ladys catching sun-rays as well (just to rest an eye on them a little bit -:).
Next pictures are showing you what have I found.

Ikaria - the wild beauty

by Susi_Blackforest

"Gialiskari Beach picture perfect"

Spending 2 weeks beginning of July in Gialiskari on the northern side of Ikaria was like a deja-vu of the first holidays in Greece in the 80's. Time slowed down and sometimes nearly stood still. This is what it's like to appreciate the good and simple life away from it all. Every day the beach looked different and there are enough beaches on the island worth visiting. The constant breeze makes sure that nobody gets too hot. The perfect island to chill out!
A hire car is essential here to get around the island, but be aware that some roads are not for the faint hearted, especially at night.
Don't expect evening entertainment, but if you like good food and a quiet drink by the sea, you won't be disappointed.
After the 2 weeks, I wished we could have stayed longer.
You can reach the Airport in Faros Ikaria by Olympic Airways from Athens and the flight time is 40 minutes. By ferry I have been told you will have to travel for 7 hours from Athens.
Visit Ikaria as long as it has still got it's charm!

"Gialiskari"

This is a picture taken from the hill above Gialiskari.

Comments